[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be wise to load a fmj every 3rd or 4th round or the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1465514049291.gif (2MB, 297x229px) Image search: [Google]
1465514049291.gif
2MB, 297x229px
Would it be wise to load a fmj every 3rd or 4th round or the last several rounds in you CC in case your target is wearing a vest or you have to shoot thru a windshield or something?
>>
>>33359707

Usually when you're forced into a position where you have to use your CC the person will not be wearing armor.
>>
>>33359707
You always load the same ammo to avoid FTFs. You can load tracers because they are pretty much the same.

So no.
>>
>>33359707
If a vest can take jhp of that particular caliber, you'll need a more substantial bullet than fmj in that same caliber to puncture it.
>>
>>33359707
No. While it seems like common sense that an FMJ round would penetrate intermediate barriers better than a JHP this is actually not true due to a number of reasons. Not to mention FMJ is often loaded to lighter specs than JHP and this changed in recoil energy likely increases the chances of a malfunction.
>>
>>33359749
How would FMJ cause a failure to fire?
>>
>>33359707
Depends on this: is there any particular cover that will reliably stop hollow points but will be penetrated by FMJ? I doubt it. If the target is armored agaist your carry piece you're just going to have to aim outside the protected zone.
>>
>>33359824
Well FTF can be two different weapon malfunctions. Failure to fire, or failure to feed.

Using different kinds of ammo doesn't necessarily mean that will happen, but it does increase the odds. Fucking around at the range, sure. Depending your life on it, I don't recommend.
>>
>>33359863
>If the target is armored agaist your carry piece you're just going to have to aim outside the protected zone.
Yeah but its hard to tell unless their 50 cent
>>
Pistol caliber FMJ is not going to penetrate anything but level 2 vest and anyone smart enough to get body armor is goignt to get something that stops 9mm and .45

AP ammo on the other hand would penetrate soft body armor with ease...
>>
>>33359889
you forgot failure to extract. But going to the point sometimes different loads can cause jams its true dont know why it happened to me with 22lr, in the same mag different brands and speeds and jammed, every time, all the same ammo in a mag and no problems..
>>
>>33360205
>>33359889
well alright, but why is it more likely?
Is it just because the changes in the weight of the round or whatever affects it during the feeding process?
Even then Im unsure how the two different cartridges, while more than capable of functioning in a uniform load by themselves, will increase chances of an FTF when used together
idk maybe im overthinking it.
>>
>>33360468
Different materials on bullet/casing causing friction thus FTF, different cartridge length between rounds making cartridge dip in odd angle and causing failure or combination of two.

I am no gunsmith but with other mechanical things this needs to be considered with unconnected moving parts
>>
>>33359707
Velocity is what kills armor. Armor is so good these days that you need a rifle to punch through that stuff. 270 would be a great armor piercer.
>>
>>33359806

>common sense
>Too common in fact I won't be bothered to explain it.

Just admit it. Hollow Points will never penetrate as well as a fmj, not even a +p
>>
>>33360607

Good luck. Even a .270 won't Pierce cheap AR500 nowadays
>>
File: IMG_6797.jpg (14KB, 551x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6797.jpg
14KB, 551x266px
Only bullet you need, anon
>>
>>33360657
Tungsten flechette discarding sabot round would penetrate AR500. It would not just do much damage if you don't hit CNS or heart
>>
>>33360642
lol anon do you even into metallurgy? FMJ uses the cheapest, softest, unbonded compositions. they tend to hold together and retain mass through tough intermediate barriers worse than bonded JHPs that just collapse their hp cavities and keep on truckin.
>>
File: 1485484340263.jpg (77KB, 493x525px) Image search: [Google]
1485484340263.jpg
77KB, 493x525px
mysituation is a little different as i have to carry a gun for work. i do carry a mag of nato spec FMJ's like others said most FMJ loads are light since its practice ammo,but nato spec is a +p load with a FMJ projectile. personally i wouldnt carry a mag of this for defense carry,as youll only have 2 or 3 mags on you,me i have 5 counting the one in the weapon,so its no big deal for me to carry it. why do i carry that mag is kinda a mix of several reasons,some of which are yes if thier is a hot load pushing the projectile FML can penetrate certain barriers more efficiently,meanning once it has penetrated the barrier it will have retained more velocity than a hollow point which will have expanded and will have have bled off more of its velocity.im a contractor working with a city government on certain projects,and we have the potential to engage people in many different conditions,where you will only really have the potential to have an issue in a certain few types of terrain,if at all,as even today the odds of you needing it are pretty low. just my $0.02 though
>>
>>33360701
got interrupted, but in closing youd be better off with a quality +p or +p+ fn or wadcutter pure lead round meant for deep penetration than your average FMJ for barriers.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.