[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plagues and outbreaks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_6367.jpg (81KB, 710x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6367.jpg
81KB, 710x473px
How would the government respond to a plague or virus outbreak? What type of measures would they take? What would the plan look like?

>pic semi related
>>
>>33358053
Knowing my government they would not have a plan.
Once they realize shit's real they would scramble to evacutate themselves and leave the commoners to die. Same as any other country I'd assume.
>>
>>33358053
Considering how well they have responded to these things when needed, fairly well.
>>
>>33358053
By quarantining faggots like OP and eliminating /K/ommandos so they can't form juntas when the Gov. and the Elite go into hiding
>>
>>33358053
depends, i guess we could use katrina as a model for how a large scale quarantine would be handled, since that's never really happened anywhere in the first world yet. I think the response would be slow and if the disease being spread was any more deadly than the flu we'd be fucked. I feel like we haven't really learned many lessons since katrina, and paranoia about the government doing shady shit is pretty high.
>>
>>33358087
The US goverment apparently has plan for pretty much everything under the sun including aliens, civilian uprising, zombies, sharknadoes(not) and everything else inbetween, or so I hear.

I could see something like 28 days later-esque zombies being absolutely lethal, but even then, civilisation would never ever break down in an apocalyptic way. Even a solar flare destroying all the world electronic wouldn't cut it in my opinion. Prepping for long term shtf is retarded.
>>
"We're going to have a big, beautiful quarantine. It's going to be the best quarantine ever. Everybody says how great our quarantines are..."
>>
>>33358497
Katrina is a bad example because it doesn't involve the military in something that can spread, is just a disaster that happen in one area and is staying there. A virus in the other hand won't naturally stay in one area.
>>
>>33358053
Pandemics and epidemics are not really a shtf concern
Something very virulent is generally slow to spread and hard to contract, e.g. Ebola, Marburg, Rabies
Something very easy to spread is generally only mildly virulent, e.g. rotavirus, influenza, common cold, enterovirus

it's a factor of how viruses function; something very virulent tends to burn itself out by killing before it can spread and by nature of the fact that people are very symptomatic. in order to spread effectively it has to use respiratory passages or remain on the skin and surfaces, reducing its potential for virulence.

If you look at enterovirus, its target is the digestive tract, making it very easy to contract, ditto for the common cold and the respiratory tract. its molecular framework means that it can only prey on cells in those areas.

now, if you look at HIV, SIV, and SHF, and Marburg, they all infect either immune or other endothelial/connective tissue cells, making them very virulent. However, they cannot be contracted easily because they have to be physically put in contact with these cells via the bloodstream or mucus membranes to infect you - meaning they take a lot of bad luck or judgement to contract.

tl;dr: pandemics aren't a concern unless you're old, weak, or immunocompromised

>t. molecular immunologist
>>
>>33358927
Wouldn't that only pertain to diseases created by nature?

Weaponized diseases and infiltrating something like the water of an area would be entirely different in how they effect the population.

Regardless, I think the whole SHTF scene is a joke. It's nice to have a few supplies on hand for emergency situations but hording ammo or food is absurd.
>>
>>33359021
>weaponized diseases
the same rules apply. the freak-out about weaponized diseases comes from the fact that people view them as "unnatural," but the same molecular machinery still applies.
Say you were to design a strain of Ebola that kills in 3 days instead of 6 weeks. The virus still has to find some way into your body, and the water supply can't carry the virus because the virus can't survive outside of the bloodstream for more than an hour. It also can't be vectored because its surface proteins are specific to human antigens. So not only are you very limited in your ability to spread the virus, but you also just designed a virus that will burn out exponentially quicker in an area than the wildtype.

Circumventing natural population dynamics is VERY hard. a lot of natural forces act against a virus that is both virulent and contagious because the natural prerogative of a virus is to replicate, which it can't do if it kills the host.
>>
>>33358053
I live in GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING AMERICA, where the civilian population owns more rifles than the 4 largest militarys and has twice that in ammunition. We wish a virus would bitches. We can BOOM HEAD SHOT for fucking ever.
>>
>>33359076
What if the hypothetical superplague could be engineered to have a long period of dormancy where the host is asymptomatic but still contagious? Then after a certain period, maybe weeks, the virus quickly kills them off. Can this not be created?
>>
>>33358053
If it's a fast infection/turn speed then it'll burn itself out fairly quickly.

If it's got a slow incubation rate of 2-3 weeks with part of that time being asymptomatic and starts pretty much anywhere but middle of fuck all Africa then we could easily have a world wide pandemic in about a month.

Luckily all the nasty bugs are either the first variety and burn themselves out super quick or things like ebola where symptoms develop quickly and give a big huge stay the fuck away signal to others.
>>
>>33361019
What if a frog had wings?
What if OP wasn't a fag?
What if your mother wasn't a whore?
We are trying to have a serious discussion about SHTF and you are going all LARPing geek on us.
>>
>>33361149
You fucking retard, the OP clearly asks what the government response would look like. To talk about that you need to talk about the particulars of the pandemic outbreak. How a disease operates is very important to understand if you don't want to catch said disease.

Have fun dying from easily treatable infections when SHTF
>>
>>33361188
When SHTF I'll be behind 7 bunkers so the jokes on you.

Seriously though the prepper answer is having ready cut to fit plastic sheeting for your windows and doors and plenty of wide duct tape to seal your home for a while. A real pepper a has a positive pressure HEPA air system that filters everything and a oxygen condenser . This is when that 750 gallons of clean water and all that freeze dried food comes in handy.
>>
>>33358497
>>33358720
What Katrina also showed was some of the police were looting as well. Not many but enough to be concerned about local law to be 100% trusted. Almost everyone I work with have at best 4-8 days of food supplies and shit for anything else. So soon they will come out to look for more.

Military would want to contain and most likely not be equipped with rubber or bag bullets. I doubt they would trust local PD in the containment and only on keeping "order" in the zone. Depending on the size of effective area though containment would only be effective if lethally enforced.

If they feel they will lose control of the area because of some /k/tards shooting at them randomly and possibility of infection remains. Bombing the site or releasing a toxin or fast acting poison is a real possibility.
>>
>>33358053
Is that pic from a movie or did the Koreans get pissed off about their president's scandal to get violent?
>>
>>33358927
what is your view on the possibility of a bird flu pandemic? Is it a credible threat or is it just a meme?
>>
>>33361430
I second sauce on the pic please.
>>
>>33361430
>>33361704
Just guessing as I havn't seen the movie but it might be Train to Busan.
>>
>>33358053
Doctor here. The CDC will broadcast precautions and the current state of things. Unless the disease makes people drop dead from an aerosol, the CDC will do a pretty good job of containing it. There's a plan for every disease out there, and a fuck ton of "tripwires" in place for reporting anything strange and new to the CDC in which case they will send an emergency team in to sample and get the genome of the new disease to figure things out.

Any "zombie apocalypse" or pandemic movie is based on the premise of multiple severe failures of every medical professional and scientist from the level of Dr. Bob at your local hospital to the director of the CDC.
>>
File: Hopefully this.jpg (226KB, 1387x1077px) Image search: [Google]
Hopefully this.jpg
226KB, 1387x1077px
>CDC in which case they will send an emergency team

We talking Average joe's in hazmat attire or Resident evil 2 HUNK team level stuff?
>>
>>33361805
>average joes

If by average joes you mean people with doctoral education in virology, microbiology, immunology and genetics then I guess
>>
>>33361823
Not trying to down talk medical personnel. In comparison to something military or group of that ilk is what I meant.
>>
File: tumblr_mxvgypblGr1rpur03o1_500.jpg (37KB, 483x364px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxvgypblGr1rpur03o1_500.jpg
37KB, 483x364px
>>33361823
>mfw our primary combat force needs to be back to the clinic by 2:30 to treat Mrs.Johnson's asthma
>>
>>33361848
kek but no those people are officials who work for the CDC in their research labs, not regular doctors who work at clinics.

>>33361842
If the military has to get involved beyond supplementing doctors for a small town with not enough of them, I'd imagine the civil unrest that made the military necessary would be a bigger problem than the disease itself.

Like the immunologist above said, the nature of viral and bacterial diseases don't lend themselves to causing massive societal breakdown in our modern world. They simply move too slowly and we have so many checks and balances to monitor any potential problems.
>>
>>33358557

They might plan for stuff, there is always some dip shit who fucks it all up.
>>
>>33358053
All the brown people would be cordoned off.
>>
>>33361758
>Doctor here. The CDC will broadcast precautions and the current state of things.
Bullshit. They will turn on the propaganda machine and tell us everything is wonderful like they did when they thought several ebola infected people might have come back from africa a few years ago. Instead of giving out p[ics of them coming through customs so we could spot them they hid that from us. Can you imagine how fucked up things could have bveen if two or three of them had it and brought it into the inner cities? BYE BYE EVERYONE.
If shit every goes bad those in place to help will take that early warning and gtfo with their loved ones. These people aren't firemen, they are bureaucrats.
>>
>>33361758
Any more detail on those plans? I've usually found the perspective of the healthcare professionals/military/emergency management staff over John Q Anon and family in the Outbreak/Contagion type movies more interesting.
>>
File: Alice Spray.jpg (488KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Alice Spray.jpg
488KB, 1650x1275px
>>33358622
We must build a wall out of slightly smaller walls.

Make walls great again!
>>
>>33362035
You realize that they have good reasons for not starting panics right?

The first is that if their reaction to every bug is to flail thier appendages and begin issuing scifi movie plot style wanted posters of infected patients they will spark mass panic.

Mass panic impedes response efforts, and in the case of ebola, sars, birdflu, and swine flu, turns out to be fucking nothing now theyve lost credibility and people will be less likley to listen to them next time.

Your solution to pandemic response is essentially advocating crying wolf. Ebola was handled very well and what could have became a huge problem was swiftly and definitivley dealt with in a superb manner.

Its an excellent example of how to handle an outbreak. Attack it at its source, keep things calm and collected, and NOT send your nation screaming and looting into walmart over something that is being handled well.
>>
Realistically, how would a quarantine camp look. Like a FEMA camp. And at what level could they enforce such thing. Also how would this bee instated in small communities in places like Appalachia.

>T. paranoid Appalachian
>>
>>33362162
To be fair, Ebola was hitting villages spread out in areas without phone lines, cell towers and massive populations.

If the same were to hit San Francisco or Los Angeles the response would be different because of the small area and population. Angelas has like 3 mil and Francisco about 1 mil but on a island of sorts.

While they may be more educated in the matters and have better access to medical. The panic may be much worse and would require a different response.
>>
>>33362213
There were theories they would use old and new Walmart locations for such. Large. Plenty of space to internally control. bathrooms already installed, just need to add showers. Parking lot huge enough to allow for equipment and containment teams. Not a bad idea honestly for containment and environmental controls.
>>
>>33360976
t. Vidya Gamer
>>
>>33362162
You're some bleeding heart liberal who trusts the state more then your neighbors.
>>
>>33362213
>T. paranoid Appalachian
"The thing about paranoia is you only have to be right once to make it OK.
The FEMA camp system isn't to keep us safe in those fences, it's to keep all the bureaucrats safe from us.
If something really bad was going to happen coast to coast they will protect themselves and their own fast. Anyone who thinks different is potato.
>>
>>33360976

You've watched to much walking dead. Even though a lot of ppl have guns, most don't even train with them.
>>
>>33362521
Since when does trusting what a doctor has to say about disease over what a random keyboard warrior on /k/ has to say make one a liberal?

>>33362242
Industrialized nations also dont have primitive burial practices like stripping and washing the dead by hand, or sleeping in the same room as the corpse overnight though.

Ebola was mostly eradicated during the last outbreak by simply telling the villagers "hey, quit fuckin doing that, thats where ebola comes from!"

I do agree with you though on your statement regarding an outbreak in a major city. It would probably need to be airborn or atleast require a lot easier vectors for spreading to get very far though.

Not catching ebola is actually pretty easy.
>>
File: face-mask-ear-loop-2.jpg (176KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
face-mask-ear-loop-2.jpg
176KB, 600x600px
quarantining, travel bans, free disposable face masks and gloves everywhere you go. As long as we know how the disease spreads it can be stopped.
>>
>>33362780
While true, all it takes is a slight mutation and hitting a major city. Then we see how civilized we have become.
>>
>>33362521
Might be because he thinks his neighbors are morons. Ever hear an anti-vaxxer or 9/11 truther talk?
>>
>>33362823
Quarantines also dont really work. Not saying they might not try it, but think about hard it would be to quarantine a place like newyork city or los angeles?

I dont think it could be done. Only a few infected individuals need to slip by to defeat the entire effort.

Plus by the time enough people have symptoms to justify a quarantine I garuntee atleast a few hundred infacted people have already unknowingly drove/flew/taken the train somewhere else.

Then you get into cross-species carriers where maybe birds or rats are able to carry it and the idea of a quarantine becomes totally useless.

Thats why agressive measures are used to indentify early patients and contain them are used.

And also why mass panic campaigns proposed by prior anon are stupid. Intentionally panicking the populace just ensures everyone scatters in terror and spread it even farther.

WHO and the CDC actually do got their shit together when it comes to stopping shit early.

If they ever run into something too slippery to handle its probably going to become a matter of just having to wait it out.

I think we can look to the past to see how pandemics will be handled. Cholera outbreaks in the 1800's were handled by updating water systems and enacting stricter public health codes.

TB, Typhoid, and polio epidemics were curbed by finding vaccines and making recieving them mandatory.

Smallpox was wiped out with such measures.

Civilization threatening diseases like the bubonic plague were only possible due to environmental and cultural standards that dont exist in developed nations anymore.

Im not saying its not possible, but its a lot less likley than it used to be, and I think the biggest drama would be crazies taking advantage of the panic to loot shit.
>>
>>33362375
Anon was right though.
The single largest armed group on the planet is the civilian population of America. Like 120 million people. We have purchased almost 1 trillion rounds of ammunition since they started counting under Bush JR.
Real doctors don't work at the CDC much friendo, they are career bureaucrats. This keyboard warrior knows him some shit.
>>
>>33362780
>Since when does trusting what a doctor has to say about disease over what a random keyboard warrior on /k/ has to say make one a liberal?
this was meant for you >>33363004
>Real doctors don't work at the CDC much friendo, they are career bureaucrats. This keyboard warrior knows him some shit.
>>
>>33362904
Thank you.

My neighbors ARE fuckin nuts. I live on a homestead 15 miles up in the woods in montana.

Was all fine and well until some nutjob built a compound a mile down the valley and filled it up with about 15 or so doomsday cultists.

They just babble a mile a minute about evil vaccines, government conspiracies, doomsday scenarios, and black helicopters.

If shit hits the fan im more afraid of them than I am of the government. They really are crazy enough to spontaneously decide im an undercover federal agent spying on them or some stupid shit.

They remind me of the flagellants during the dark ages. Might just get it into their heads that im some illuminati reptiloid satanist and that the plague was summoned by me.

If they tell me to lose my shit and our local health board tells me to sit tight and stay calm guess which one im listening to?
>>
>>33362904
>9/11 truthing
Seeing conflicts with physics and the official report is not the same level of thinking as thinking vaccines make your key twelve eyed and retarded.
>>
>>33363156
OH SHIT BOYS WE GOT A LIVE ONE
>>
>>33362997
While I agree it would be very very difficult to control, they will attempt it. Not to stop the spread but to limit it. 1-2 people getting through will be more manageable than 1000 people running to their relatives houses, etc. Slowing down the infection rates can make the difference between a week and years for a viable solution.
>>
>>33363188
Contest me, faggot.
>>
>>33363194
I would like to see a movie where the health officials do shit right and a bunch of anti-vaxxer types fuck it up.
>>
>>33363384
Should they make it a comedy or horror? I can see it happening both ways. I hear Brendan Fraser needs work. I think we can get him pretty cheap.
>>
>>33362997
>Quarantines also dont really work. Not saying they might not try it, but think about hard it would be to quarantine a place like newyork city or los angeles? I dont think it could be done. Only a few infected individuals need to slip by to defeat the entire effort.

I'd disagree. Unless you're on foot, there are only so many ways out of an urban area. They can and would be blocked rather quickly by City public works, County or State highway departments and the National Guard. Lots of different improvised obstacles to give enemy armor and infantry a hard time. No reason they wouldn't use the same ideas to keep hordes of sickies in their cities.

Plus, government would shut down schools, sports arenas, and other large gathering places. Look at Boston during the manhunt for the Marathon Bombers. Look at Southern Maryland/DC/Northern Virginia during the DC Sniper. People would self shelter even if the authorities didn't order it. I could see National Guard teams going house to house, dropping off cases of MREs and jugs of water and asking people if they were sick and bringing them to massive disaster hospitals in large buildings like where the CDC doctor dies in Contagion. The scene in Outbreak with sheets hanging from porches indicating the occupants were ill comes to mind too.

Lots easer to deal with the couple dozen who break the quarantine than deal with a city fleeing to the hinterlands and bringing it with them.

>>33363156
The people spewing shit about remote controlled jets, controlled demolitions and other such twaddle *is* the same thing as thinking vaccines cause the 'tism.
>>
>>33358053
>be chink
>pandemic every year
There literally won't be a plague in China because we're fucking immune already thanks to grandmas constantly sniffing chicken assholes
>>
>>33358557
>I could see something like 28 days later-esque zombies being absolutely lethal

I wish that would be real. SHTF would be so boring without a steady supply of things to shoot, and animals are boring as fuck unless they are bears which I don't want to mess with.
>>
>>33360976
FPSDoug? Is that you? I forgot all about you. What happened to you guys?
>>
>>33363457
I'd make it a horror. Like, the plague has been going for a few years, theres one guy close to cracking the vaccine, and a loose coalition of militant crystal rubbing hippies and end of the world doomsday types get it into their head that the government created the plague.

Coincidentally they end up destroying the researchers lab, his notes, and either kill him or set the process on the vaccination research back a few years.
>>
File: 1488139601330.gif (59KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1488139601330.gif
59KB, 180x180px
>>33363598
>Watching them collapse at near freefall speeds and then not believing official reports that they didn't is the same as being an anti-vaxxer.
>>
>>33363815
So we have Paris Hilton in the movie keep making love to the infected and normals messing with the data. Okay we now have a better movie than they have released in years.
>>
>>33361487
it's a credible threat insofar as a lot of people simultaneously out of work will hamstring the economy; beyond that, the flu doesn't kill anyone other than the old and very young
>>33361019
it could hypothetically be created, but then you're going to experience the "madagascar has closed its port" phenomenon, where its virulence tips people off and they just stay the fuck inside all day
>>33363656
>SHTF would be so boring without a steady supply of things to shoot
if you have to shoot things all day, you're not doing innawoods right
>>
>>33363457
Make it both dude.
>>
>>33358927
>>33359076
Jesus not all /k/tards are fucking autistic...
>>
Screen cap this.
China will use biological agents as both first strike and counter strike weapons. I have had a nagging feeling for years that the weapons are already well dispersed in the US and many other countries. FUCK.
>>
>>33363656
How hard would it be to kill a bear with primitive methods? I mean you could make a platform in the tree bring a ton of rocks and steaks to throw down and put traps around the base of trees so it couldn't get up.
>>
>>33358927
This is why I like 4chan more than Reddit.
>>
>>33361019
Have you read Rainbow Six? "Ebola Shiva"
>>
>>33365049
dude,let's be honest,the chinese probably have carefully hidden suitcase nukes in every major US city. It's what I'd have done years ago-instant strike capability. There's no defense against it except interdicting the suitcase before it arrives, and if you're very careful about doing it that's unlikely,since the US is so big and has vast stretches of unmonitored coast.
>>
>>33363063
You sound as paranoid as you are making them out to be. Something to think about
>>
Anyone know anything about morgellons and if it's weaponized?
>>
>>33366542
Hate to have to tell you but they have networked and mobile radiological and nuclear detection networks in every city in the country for this exact reason. Look it up. The ports have them too
>>
Most likely a quarantine if it's very big.
People working containment zones will be cranky wearing hazmat gear.
If they point their gun and gesture at it a lot and tell you they'll use it, they will.
>>
Fun fact-low levels of certain organic mercury compounds have zero immediate effects, but after a few months they start to destroy your nervous system in the most agonizing,horrific way i've ever seen, even with people chelating your blood 24/7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

You mix a few hundred pounds of this of this into a water supply after the point of purification, using say a bleeder system in a main pipe,and you wipe out an entire city of people with very few signs until its far far far too late.

God help us if some evil ISIS fuck ever gets this into their head.
>>
>>33365085
Hard. Bears are lethal now, imagine how difficult they'd be to people without firearms.
>>
>>33366710
Teamwork helps. But bears in most cases are skittish animals.

I ran into one once while camping. We both instantly fled,him out through a clearing,me straight up a tree. I didn't know i was doing it,one minute i was looking at the bear at maybe 15 feet, the next i was clutching a tree limb and starting to feel that I'd ripped off like 5 fingernails in my haste to get up where i was.

I could see him booking it from where i was,ran until he was out of my sight.
>>
>>33366512
A fake parasite from a book?
>>
>>33366542
Yeah there's this thing about nukes that causes them to spew significantly more radiation than your standard surroundings which makes them very easy to detect. In fact, the detectors are so cheap, there's networks of them connected to the internet, with computers ready to determine the movement patterns of any radiation sources.
>>
>>33366672
It would get some, but most cities have both automated and manual tests of water quality many times every day, mostly the check for seeping heavy metal poisoning, including mercury compounds. As it turns out, as pipes get old they can get leaky and get nasty shit in them, so it's best to keep an eye out for that regardless of whether you expect your water to get poisoned or not.
>>
>>33366749
For most bears it is not a good idea to run or bolt up a tree, lest you make them think you're tasty.
>>
>>33361352
NOPD is one of the most corrupt law enforcement agencies outside of africa, and the middle east. of course they were going to loot.
>>
>>33363864
>>33363864
what about the spanish flu of 1918? half my family of the time died from that.
>>
>>33366940
Yeah, that killed 3-5% of the planet. Without treatment, or when treatment is overwhelmed, some strains of the flu can fuck you up pretty bad, especially if you allow yourself to become dehydrated or malnourished. Still, of course, that flu killed mostly children and the elderly.

That's actually the main risk in a flu pandemic, that hospitals are overwhelmed with patients and can't treat everyone, or the staff are too sick to treat patients.
>>
>>33366752
well yeah, the dude was talking about a hypothetical supervirus so I gave him a hypothetical supervirus
>>
>>33358053

There would be FEMA camps that would try their best to provide "aid" to the infected. Once you are allowed into the camp you cannot leave. They will provide basic things such as food and water but ultimately they are containing you and promising to provide a cure when they find one.

Uninfected would have moral qualms with handing their loved ones over to government care. Hospitals would have to report infections so they can be quarantined appropriately. Many would rebel and try their best to care for the sick but ultimately are spreading the virus.

People stop showing up to work out of fear of becoming infected. The police are given orders to pay people who take "sick days" off work a visit to make sure they aren't infected. The protocols are borderline harassment allowing them to search your entire home just on suspicion in an attempt to get people to show up to work and not harbor the sick.

The lower socio-economic classes resort to crime and mass hysteria as government benefits are suspended. Crime runs rampant. thousands of people are killed every day nation wide. The Justice system excuses most of it or looks the other way.unless they were caught red handed by officers or military personnel due to the lack of order and resources. Eventually people take justice into their own hands and lynchings become common place. Many leave the cities and go innawoods. These people are left alone for the most part but have to deal with the hardships of nature.

People are fleeing the country to escape the chaos but simply spread the virus to other nations causing global panic.

The federal government loses it's control over the nation and shrinks focusing on local government.

Uninfected cities and towns are quarantined and become self governing city states. Fortifications are built and all outsiders are shot on sight.

The US becomes a hotbed of international interests as they try to supplant the government and provide aid with interest.
>>
>>33361704
>>33361724
>>33361430

It's a Korean movie called Flu. It was from 2013
>>
>>33367021
>>33367021
do you think a "The Stand" type thing could go down?
>>
>>33359076
>>33360976
It has never been more apparent to me that /k/ has people from all areas of the spectrum.
>>
>>33363004
You're average gun owner shoots maybe once of twice a year, if that.
Contrast that with doctors who have actually been trained/educated and know what their doing.
>>
>>33358497
>i guess we could use katrina as a model for how a large scale quarantine would be handled,
Last Ebola outbreak
>>
>>33358053
The biggest issue wouldn't even be the plague itself, the CDC is pretty good at containment

The big issue is people panicking and chimping out
>>
>>33367862
Unlikely.
Especially if you include the supernatural element.
>>
>>33358053
Use the national guard to enforce quarantine and then call in the CDC.
>>
>>33368880
im ignoring the supernatural, the base stupidity of panicky people more than can make up for sooopy ghosts and boogeymans
>>
>>33358053
>round up all sick people
>kill them
>round up all survivors
>kill them
>round up all the animals
>kill them
>round up all the insects
>weaponize them or kill them
>round up everyone that is next to the contaminated zone
>kill them and any family relatives that just so happen to live next to the boarders
>burn every building and napalm everything
>round up all the journalists and news reporters within the area
>demand them to make up a random news that dismisses the situation and talk about something liberal while at gun point
>then kill them afterwards
>round up all freelancers and independent journalists
>kill them and keep one alive and frame him for terroristic threats and the main cause of all those deaths and no survivors
>set up a nuke and detonate it completely annihilating the quarantine zone
>blame the nuke detonation on the supposed terrorist and claim he did it because of (insert political/religious views and motives here) and send the supposed terrorist off to terrorist jail
>round up anyone that thinks different and there may be something more to the story
>kill them
>>
>>33369209
The only true honest post
>>
File: herpesvirus.jpg (22KB, 322x290px) Image search: [Google]
herpesvirus.jpg
22KB, 322x290px
>>33358927
Just an FYI, my old place of work had to register with the US Government in case of an emergency. I asked our owner about it and we were one among, many, many facilities listed for emergency use during any kind of major health crisis.

>small contract pharma company
>wide range of production capabilities but relatively small batch capacity
>certified pharmaceutical warehouse facility
>full cleanroom for injectables production, including vaccine bottling

Essentially, as my boss told it to me, we could be called upon by the Government to produce anything we COULD produce at a given stated rate/capacity for as long as the Government wanted us to do so. Naturally, this came with some markup and billing on our part to pay for employees to crank out at the stated rate.

The interesting part: we had a company doctor (just a general practitioner in town) and there are apparently plans to emergency distribute stocks of ciprofloaxcin, tamiflu, etc. if it were required. Basically, the government (likely FEMA) knew who worked there and had doses set aside for us to be given early in a huge emergency to ensure we can keep cranking out drugs.

It kicked in during the H1N1 scare in 2009, both mom (who works for a fuckhuge pharma company) and me were both given doses of tamiflu pretty early on in the scare to keep at home and self-administer.
>>
>>33358927
>Something very easy to spread is generally only mildly virulent, e.g. rotavirus, influenza,
>influenza
google spanish flu 1919 &b get back to me
also theres an airborne, drug resistant strain of H5N1 in a rotterdam lab: literally a civilisation killer. The lab is under a hundred km from one of IS's biggest recruitment areas in Europe.
>>
File: IMG_3253.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3253.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33365049
>biological agents as a first strike
Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep bacteria/cells/lentiviridae alive and sterile? I hope they have their biological weapons in hidden LN2 tanks that they too off every week because that's about what it takes for long-term storage
>>
File: IMG_3254.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3254.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33371012
>Spanish flu
Which had a modest mortality rate of 10-20%, 90% of which were caused by secondary bacterial pneumonia and the rest due to mechanical hemorrhage of lungs in a time before OTC cough suppressants, modern medical hygiene, and tetracycline/daptamycin/sulfonamide.
>H5N1
The strain you're referring to is only hypothesized to be reachable within 2-3 generations through mutation or reassortment. Even then, the population dynamics preventing the virus from reaching a pandemic level still apply and several inactivated, subunit, and attenuated vaccines are currently in trials for that specific hypothesized virus
>>
>>33371012
And there was an H7N9 strain in China which could be airborne and has a 100% critical hospitalization rate with a high mortality rate associated. Both are drug resistant because they're the flu.
>>
>>33371180
>vaccines are currently in trials for that specific hypothesized virus

this, you have to consider that thousands and thousands of people with PHDs who make as much money in a week as you make in 2 years make a living out of studying potential pandemic diseases and pathogens, and developing the solution to any potential outbreaks

take the common flu, for instance. they don't just wait for it to change on it's yearly basis and then make the vaccine, they have it's changes calculated and probably have either a spot-on or very close vaccine ready a year in advance

TLDR you'd need to literally invent an insanely powerful virus to see a real PANdemic on modern earth. 3rd world countries may die out and contribute heavily to it's spread but 1st world countries have prevention measures, vaccines, and a game plan for any other currently known virus or plague
>>
What about zombies?
>>
>>33362035

Anon, people like you are *why* they never released photos of the potentially infected.
>>
>>33371683
and people like you are why we will never be able to deal with a real outbreak of any kind. The feeling of the sick matter more to you than the lives of all of us. I can see it now, a bunch of purples haired cunts screaming it's wrong to separate the sick from the healthy while everyone starts to choke to death on our own flem. Fuck you you fucking fuck. Liberalism really is a mental disorder.
>>
>>33372413

See, you aren't doing anything to disprove my point there. Also, it's spelled "phlegm", but I doubt you stayed in school long enough to learn that.
>>
>>33372995
>but I doubt you stayed in school long enough to learn that.
Typical elitist liberal cunt. But you git me me. I had to drop out of HS at 16 when my father died to help feed my little brothers and sisters.My kind are to proud to go on welfare and you probably been on the titty you entire life cunt.
I crushed your feelings motivated argument with the fact that assholes like you will slow or simply stop the containment of any outbreak crying and screaming about the rights of the infected to freely move about the healthy. You leftist fucks did it with aids and now look at the hundreds of millions infected world wide. If only we had quarantined the buttfucking degenerates.
>>
>>33367862
Far more likely to encounter a "Swan Song" type thing.
>>
>>33373298
>Swan Song
Can you explain what this means, googled it and nothing SHTF specific came up.
>>
>>33373633
Not >>33373633
But Swan Song was a novel written by Robert McCammon, dealing with a nuclear war and the aftermath.
>>
>>33373728
Thank you anon, but I can't afford $89.00 bucks for it.
>https://www.google.com/search?q=Swan+Song+was+a+novel+written+by+Robert+McCammon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=swan+song+by+robert+mccammon,+used&*&spd=14845129482989430178
>>
>>33362052
It's honestly not as dramatic as movies make it seem. Like if I get a case of polio or smallpox in the clinic I have to report it to the CDC, and they'll come in and do an epidemiological investigation to see where the disease came from. But my job (and the hospital's job) would be to test any medical professionals who have been known to contact the patient and also put the patient under quarantine during treatment if there's a risk of it spreading. Of course, this applies only to certain diseases based on their ability to spread, danger to public health, etc. All these diseases have a standard protocol for reporting if there's suspicion, and there's different levels of response based on the disease. For example, something like a smallpox outbreak in the children's wards would have a more vigorous response than 2 or 3 cases of measles in the community.

Veterinarians also have to do the same thing. I'm not sure how it works in rural areas, but my understanding is that certain livestock have annual herd health checks that are mandatory in some states if you're selling them as food product. So in that case, vets would then alert the CDC who will most likely quarantine and kill all of the animals that test positive for the disease and also monitor it for a few months to watch for new animals that get the disease. Which really sucks for the farmers.

But depending on what the actual disease is, it might not get all the way up to the CDC. There's state level disease control responders who will do the "boots on the ground" type of work. They formulate a report after things are under control and the CDC files it away in a database that can be easily accessed.

The CDC is very, very good at their jobs. The only problem with the ebola scare in the US was because the medical professionals on the ground didn't take the proper procedure in preventing disease transmission.
>>
>>33373841
$89 bucks? Must be a rarer early edition or something. Amazon has mass market paper back for $7
>>
File: dYvhHbl.jpg (25KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
dYvhHbl.jpg
25KB, 457x480px
>>33373066
>.My kind are to proud to go on welfare and you probably been on the titty you entire life cunt.

>be me
>be vietnamese immigrant family
>be on welfare
>get to eat because of free lunch program and food stamps
>become doctor
>volunteer in small clinics around rural areas to help people have access to care at least twice a year

welfare ain't *all* bad
>>
>>33369209
I suppose this would take care of any apocalyptic plague scenario real quick.
>>
File: south-park-s12e05c15-eek-16x9.jpg (130KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
south-park-s12e05c15-eek-16x9.jpg
130KB, 960x540px
>>33373066
Sure anon. The leftists care more about sick people than keeping a civilization crippling plague in check. Sure. Can't possibly because twats like you freak out, start seeing the supposed 'infected' everywhere and just making a mess of things. LAPD lit up a truck with two Asian ladies in it while looking for 1 black guy. What makes you think you're any less likely to mis-identify people?
>>
>>33366940
>be WWI
>get flu that was fucking everywhere
>spain was a special brand of shithole in a period of significant shittyness
>literally shit yourself to death.jpg
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.