[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home made semi automatic gun assembly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

Is it feasable to build my own semi automatic guns? Is it doable and where do I start?

What price do you expect it would go on?
>>
Garage gunsmithing is never a good idea, kiddos
Good luck trying to make your little blowback hackjob not to explode
>>
File: 1488741997573.jpg (96KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488741997573.jpg
96KB, 1080x1080px
>>33356906
>Is it feasable to build my own semi automatic guns?
Certainly!
>>
>>33356906
What restrictions are you looking to dodge?

>80%
Sig P228/P229
Glock 17/17L/18/22/24/31/37
Glock 19/23/25/32/38
>>
>>33356906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-PmLxkOmaM

OP you are looking to become a machinist and spend money on machine tools you would typically find in a tool room, and then spend even more time drafting specific dimensions, and then hundreds of man hours of setup and producing parts.

The shittier and simpler the quicker.
>>
>>33356992
It's an undertaking more suited toward organizations like organized crime.
>>
If you have to ask that question then no.
>>
>>33356983

Pardon? I am new to the forum so did not quite understand your question.

I only want to build a homemade semi automatic gun because I have an interest for building things and think I can learn from it.

>>33356992

I don't plan on becoming a weapons smith, I am currently studying to become an engineer so I like building things, and I think I will learn a lot on the way while it is fun to occupy my time with a new hobby.

I am not expecting to build some fancy high speed bullet gun, just a basic hand gun that works, suitable for a beginners project.

>>33357004

I don't want it to blow up in my hand, of course I can go to my local library(which I plan) and borrow books and learn from that, I just wanted some response from you guys because you seem to know a lot about guns.

Everyone is a beginner at some point.
>>
>>33357018
Do it wrong and the ATF shoots your dog.
Do it right and the ATF steals your gun, and then shoots your dog.
>>
A lot goes into making a firearm that doesn't explode in your hands, even moreso one that cycles automatically. For a home build you're going to be using a blowback system, most likely, which is going to involve some trial and error because your weapons ability to cycle varies on your bolt/slide weight and recoil spring strength.

Overall I seriously wouldn't recommend just jumping into it from scratch. Like, think for a moment, can you tell me off the top of your head what "headspace" means? If you can't, you probably shouldn't be building guns. Fucking up can be genuinely dangerous.

You should probably do what >>33356983 is suggesting, as in buying an incomplete weapon kit and finishing it as opposed to starting from scratch.
>>
>>33357032

I dont live in burgerland so don't have to worry about that shit.

>>33357035

Thanks for good response. I dont know what headspace means in english but in my native language i can all parts of rifles and hand guns. I have a lot of experience handling weapons since everyone in my family are hunters and I am also studying for the license.

Don't worry, I wont be "jumping into it from scratch", before every project I do I start theoretically, create a text file where i store information, research and what steps, materials to use, and then ask for response on that information.

What I want to know more specifically is:
What materials should I use, plastic or metal?
What caliber should the gun be built for?
Safety precautions
How to not have it explode in my hand(I like my hands the way they are)

But if you think buying an incomplete weapons kit first instead of starting from scratch is the best way, I will take that into consideration and do that instead, but it wont be as fun and I wont learn as much. I love the feeling you get when you have built something on your own from scratch, that feeling of satisfaction is great and the fun on the way is just a bonus.
>>
>>33357063
9mm is about the maximum cartridge for a blowback weapon, especially if it's intended to be a handgun or subgun.

with .380 being much more amicable for blowback handguns.
>>
>>33357063
>What materials should I use, plastic or metal?
For what? Are you building a homebrew design or assembling a rifle pattern that already exists from parts? Some rifles have receivers that sustain little enough stress that they can be polymer, most don't. Same goes for pistols, some can handle polymer frames and some can't.

>What caliber should the gun be built for?
The smallest one available. A .22lr blowing up in your hand is preferable to a .380.

>Safety precautions
Don't point the gun at yourself or anything else you don't want thoroughly fucked up. If you made the gun yourself, anticipate the gun critically failing and compensate accordingly. Seriously, tie a string around the trigger and test fire from 20 feet away.

>How to not have it explode in my hand(I like my hands the way they are)
Overbuild the gun. Ideally make it capable to withstand pressures several times larger than whatever you're shooting. Stronger materials, thicker chamber, etc.

But if you haven't done much, or any, firearm work before, mill out an 80% complete 1911 frame and assemble it from parts first. It will be a good learning experience. It takes a lot of ingenuity to build from scratch. For example, you're the engineer, how would you go about rifling your homemade barrel?
>>
>>33357079

9mm is too much for me. As poster below says the samellest one should be best to start with.

>>33357090

Thanks for good response. The tip about remotely firing the gun was a good tip which I will use.

>For what?

For a home built handgun capable of firing a bullet with an exit velocity of 200-300m/s

>Overbuild the gun.

Good idea, thanks.

>But if you haven't done much, or any, firearm work before, mill out an 80% complete 1911 frame and assemble it from parts first.

Thanks for the tip, sounds good, I don't live in USA so where can I get those parts?
>>
>>33357090

Also, what rounds per second would be reasonable to start with? 60 rounds a minute or 120 rounds per minute maybe? (two shots per second) or is that to excessive/to slow?
>>
>>33357115

I can see that the Walter PPQ .22 have 12 rounds per second, so is it unrealistic of me to go for 1-2 rounds per second?
>>
>>33357114
>For a home built handgun capable of firing a bullet with an exit velocity of 200-300m/s
Please convert that measurement into freedom units for me.

>Thanks for the tip, sounds good, I don't live in USA so where can I get those parts?
Well considering the receiver is the only part legally recognized as the "gun" and even that doesn't apply when the frame/receiver is 80% or less completed, it shouldn't be very difficult but I can imagine many companies are hesitant tro ship internationally. If all else fails I'd look into a package proxy shipping service. What country?

>>33357115
>Also, what rounds per second would be reasonable to start with? 60 rounds a minute or 120 rounds per minute maybe? (two shots per second) or is that to excessive/to slow?
Don't worry about that for now. First priority is to make sure the weapon fires without damage. Second is that it cycles completely without jamming and can fire that subsequent round the same way. Once that is done, then worry about fine tuning.
>>
>>33357135
>Please convert that measurement into freedom units for me.

Do you meassure per hour or per second? Fuck it I will do both for you.

200 meters per second = 447.3873mph
300 meters per second = 671.0809mph

200 meters per second = 0.12 miles per second
300 meters per second = 0.18 miles per second

It's the same exist velocity as in older guns and like muskots.

>Well considering the receiver is the only part legally recognized as the "gun"

I live in Scandinavia, we might have stricter gun laws, consider that. And can you please try to point ut what the "receiver" is, I dont know what it translates to in my native tounge. In the OP pic there is no part called "receiver". Can you post a pic?

>First priority is to make sure the weapon fires without damage

You are correct. Thanks a lot for the help, you have been very helpful.
>>
File: Sprengskiss.jpg (66KB, 670x436px) Image search: [Google]
Sprengskiss.jpg
66KB, 670x436px
>>33357135

On this pic, which part is the "receiver"?
>>
File: 1911 frame.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1911 frame.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>33357173
>>33357189
>Do you meassure per hour or per second? Fuck it I will do both for you.
Measure in feet per second actually. 1100fps being around the speed of sound.

>And can you please try to point ut what the "receiver" is
It's the part of the gun that contains the fire control group. Trigger, hammer, disconnector, etc. On handguns you would call it a "frame" because of their fundamentally different design.

This is a picture of a 1911 frame. This is the one part that is legally considered the actual gun in the US and is the only part that can't be replaced freely.
>>
>>33357079
.32 may be better
>>
>>33357194
>Measure in feet per second actually.

Oh sorry, let me convert again.

200 meters per second is 656.167979 Feet per Second
and 300 meters per second is 984.251969 Feet per second.

>It's the part of the gun that contains the fire control group. Trigger, hammer, disconnector, etc.

So if I understand you correctly, the "frame" is something that would be excluded if I ordered a gun kit? So all the other parts are okay to assemble and study/learn from?
>>
>>33357215
>and 300 meters per second is 984.251969 Feet per second.
Well that's actually really reasonable. Sonic ammunition, which is pretty standard, flies much faster than that. I'm pretty sure standard 9mm Luger flies at about 1200 feet per second,

>So if I understand you correctly, the "frame" is something that would be excluded if I ordered a gun kit? So all the other parts are okay to assemble and study/learn from?
Well that's the thing. It is only legally considered a "frame" if it can hold the fire control group. Meaning that if they didn't finish machining it and it couldn't hold the fire control group, it isn't actually a receiver or frame. That's why people buy what are called "80% receivers". They are buying a receiver that isn't finished, basically, and can't hold a fire control group so they don't have to register it, then finishing it themselves.

So, you could buy a frame that's unfinished and finish it yourself if you have the right tools, then have a complete kit to assemble a gun with.
>>
>>33357018
Yes, it is completely doable, just decide how you want the action to fuction (blow back/piston/etc) and make sure the pieces used are strong enough to handle the pressure. Also follow the law of legal lengths of weapons or saw goodbye to little pupper.
>>
>>33357235

Thanks for all your response, you have certainly helped guide me in the correct direction.
What is the price on one of those kit for lets say 1911 colt?
>>
>>33357259
>What is the price on one of those kit for lets say 1911 colt?
Well it wouldn't be a Colt because Colt isn't manufacturing it, you are. With that in mind, a parts kit and 80% complete lower can range between $800 to $1200 from what I've seen. You could probably get a better deal if you keep your eyes open and buy individual parts instead of a whole kit at once.

I'd buy some books on 1911's before buying kits though.
>>
>>33357270
>Well it wouldn't be a Colt because Colt isn't manufacturing it, you are

Oh yeah, right.

>I'd buy some books on 1911's before buying kits though.

Is not exploding sketches enough? Otherwise I'll go to the library tomorrow.
>>
File: colt-Officers.gif (79KB, 648x521px) Image search: [Google]
colt-Officers.gif
79KB, 648x521px
>>33357270

Like this one, wont it do?
>>
>>33357295
>Is not exploding sketches enough? Otherwise I'll go to the library tomorrow.
Well I think it's important. Personally, if someone made a gun, I wouldn't want to handle it unless whoever made it could name every part and thoroughly explain every step in manufacturing and assembly.

>>33357309
If I handed you a 1911 and asked you to field strip it and you only had that diagram to help you, what would you do?
>>
>>33357316
>If I handed you a 1911 and asked you to field strip it and you only had that diagram to help you, what would you do?

You make a good point, library it is and youtube videos of field strip.
>>
>>33357328
Well good luck anon, that part of the world needs more weaponry and less cuckoldry.
>>
>>33357338

Thanks anon, you have been really helpful.

FYI Scandinavia have among the highest weapons among its population in EU. This is registred hunting and sports weapons, I will soon get my hunting license and will apply for license for proper hand guns and rifles.
>>
>>33357018
I'm not a gun manufacturer or designer but work in aerospace. The best place to learn about making guns is working for gun a manufacturer. Make sure you classes align like mechanics of mechines etc.

Have you considered building a dynamic model of a semiautomatic gun in MATLAB and doing the stress analysis of the barrel in ANASYS?
>>
>>33357504
>Have you considered building a dynamic model of a semiautomatic gun in MATLAB and doing the stress analysis of the barrel in ANASYS?

To many acronyms for me, I am only a beginner and not native english speaker. Can you please explain that sentence for me?

My plan is to order a custom made steel pipe with a hardness of 30 on the Rockwell scale and have a strength of 100,000 psi (689476 kPA)
>>
>>33357529
>My plan is to order a custom made steel pipe with a hardness of 30 on the Rockwell scale and have a strength of 100,000 psi (689476 kPA)
https://www.google.at/search?q=seamless+hydraulic+tubing&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM5Zj_7OLSAhUT_WMKHTvGCv0Q_AUIBygA&biw=1366&bih=659&dpr=1
>>
>>33357018
What country are you in? This matters because some components are easier to obtain and some will be more difficult. In the USA, the "firearm" is the frame or receiver. In Germany, the barrel and bolt are also heavily regulated. And this matters because the type of gun your first build will be is dependent on what tools and materials you are willing to invest in. Building a bolt-action from scratch is doable but dangerous if the wrong materials are used in the barrel, locking lugs, and bolt. Likewise, some specialized tools may be needed to, for example, cut a barrel, rifle it, and cut a chamber. A slight bit off on the chamber could mean that your gun has dangerously high pressure (partial barrel obstruction) which could cause a catastrophic failure (barrel or bolt shattering), possibly sending fragments towards the shooter. It's enough to draw blood at a minimum, quite possibly cause permanent damage (loss of hearing or vision, severe lacerations, loss of limbs, et cetera).

Safety precautions thus are to use low-power ammunition (ie 22LR, testing with 22 Short's first) and do a significant number of test-fires from a distance (have a gun rest, sand bags, and a string around the trigger that you can pull from behind a barrier).

In the USA, building an 80% firearm is legally equal to a complete homemade build. The way these guns operate are known and legal to discuss; parts and ammunition are legal to obtain; you can start by brushing up on your machining skills with a milling machine or drill press and slide vise. The guns listed in >>33356983 are available as "80%" frames--legally equal to paperweights and require some machining to make into a "gun". Add commercially available frame parts and a barrel assembly and you've got a firearm that the law says is homemade. Selecting every piece and doing assembly means you're basically an armorer.

Some projects, like a 1911, require much more hand-fitting than others and are another good option for learning.
>>
>>33357529
>MATLAB
A scientific modelling program. But modelling in the more technical sense than usual -- most people actually use it for organizing data and doing very difficult math.

>ANASYS
a cursory google tells me it's for analyzing materials with computer controlled instruments. probably beyond the hobbyist's means and outside the realm of usefulness at that level anyway

Americans tend to overcomplicate matters of building to a point where the buildign actually becomes inferior. see also: their suburban homes, and proclivity to 3d print everything when it would have actually been faster to just stamp or mill parts by hand. also the insistence on using certain parts or materials that aren't out of an ISO standard or anything, like how every DIY suppressor is specifically made out of a particular model of Maglite flashlight, or how everyone beelines to automotive brake tubing instead of any other steel tubing available at any hardware store.

btw what language? i hope its french
>>
>>33357644

Thanks for the explanation. What he mention would be good for making something a little more advanced, maybe for a full automatic machinegun or something like that, but for a handgun with low caliber you dont need so much effort on the material, since the specs are available online for each caliber. Btw it's Swedish.

>>33357591
Thanks for the link anon.

>>33357615
>What country are you in?

Sweden.

>In Germany, the barrel and bolt are also heavily regulated.

I plan on building everything myself, from barrel to firing mechanism to slide and frame, from scratch.

>And this matters because the type of gun your first build will be is dependent on what tools and materials you are willing to invest in.

Stainless steel with a hardness of over 32 on the Rockwellscale should do for my .22 cal.

Most of the gun will be made in stainless steel, that way I can be sure that the gun wont explode and be able to handle the gass pressure(100 000 psi).

Since I live in Sweden I dont want to order "gun kits" from the US, it is not good in my country to have gun parts shipped in your name. (We have semi communism).

My process so far look like this:
Ordering the custom made steel pipe which will be used as a barrel.

Constructing the frame and firing mechanism. First I will build it to be single bolt, then when I have mastered that I will go on to construct a semi automatic with my ultimate goal to be able to have an exit velocity of ca 1000 feet per second (300 m/s) and be able to hold 6 rounds and dont jam.
>>
>>33357018
Glock started that way... never built a gun before... no preconceptions. Built his first gun at 52.
>>
One question guys, should I rifle the barrel?
>>
>>33357270
e-sarco has 1911 "GI" parts kits for pretty cheap

I bought this: $230
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911autobuildkitlessframe.aspx

Then I got a 1911 80% frame from tacticalmachining.com, which they don't make anymore for $100
>>
>>33357644
DIY suppressors made out of maglites are retarded, and you don't have to be that bright to recognize it.

Firstly they have a hole in them for the button, secondly it's just a shitty aluminum tube with an endcap. Any company selling 80% suppressors would sell a better tube made of titanium with two threaded endcaps.
>>
One question guys, how do I construct a sight?
>>
>>33358672
Are you retarded? Get three similarly sized chunks of anything, and glue them on the gun.
>>
>>33358743

Just glue them on? How do I make sure that they are fixed with where i am shooting? Or should just put a small "dot" och metal over the end of the pipe and two at the beginning and it will be correct?
>>
>>33358672
Sights are thin bits of metal that can be fabricated from scratch easily.

>>33359145
>How do I make sure that they are fixed with where i am shooting?
You sight them in. You point it, see where it shoots, then adjust the sights accordingly.
>>
>>33359398

>You sight them in. You point it, see where it shoots, then adjust the sights accordingly.

Sounds easy enough. What should I use when test shooting the gun? I dont want the bullet to stray, it have to be stopped in the best possible manor.
Sandbags with targets on them(I own target papers for rifle and gun shooting)
>>
>>33359902
Water is better.
>>
Is this whole thread a troll thread?

If you actually know nothing about how firearms function and want to build one for yourself you should most certainly not try to make a locked breech gun, just go with a simple blowback action, here are the bolt weights needed:

http://www.orions-hammer.com/blowback/

for 9mm Parabellum it is 771g.
>>
File: anteater.jpg (36KB, 600x188px) Image search: [Google]
anteater.jpg
36KB, 600x188px
>>33356935
This is the kindof girly-man that can't even change a tire. How much did your last oil change cost? Is that including the tip? get fucked and learn a skill for fucks sake.

It's not hard, OP it just takes time to learn and practice to get gud. Same as any other hobby. Parts kits are available on GB and you can do anything form the easy pre-made ("80%") stuff, re-building open bolt smg kits into closed bolt semis, to total scratch builds. Start with a single shot, break action .22 pistol/rifle depending on local laws. Do a lot of reading on weaponsguild and weaponeer. Bill Holmes has a few books out that are totally worth your time.
>>
>>33357032
Building a firearm for personal use is perfectly legal in the US, as long as you don't sell it.
>>
File: IMG_1754.jpg (87KB, 624x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1754.jpg
87KB, 624x960px
>>33357173
>I live in Scandinavia

So, is it legal for you to be doing what you're trying to do? If if isn't legal I'd suggest not doing it.

It also seems like you have very little practical experience with firearms. Instead of being overly ambitious and trying to machine everything yourself from scratch, why don't you buy a gun legally, learn to fully disassemble it (not just field strip), read about the history and mechanical engineering details of firearms design, and *then* attempt to build something from a kit?

After you've done all of that, maybe you could consider realistically attempting to build something from scratch. I have a feeling that more likely than not though, you will not listen to me or anyone else in this thread, and half-start a few components of your "pistol" before giving up.
>>
>>33356906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfvJtjbY9TM
Home built pocket pistol
>>
>>33360884
>.25
>unreliable as shit
Literally why. I haven't found any plans online but building a simple .32 would be easy and actually worth it.
>>
File: 6846868954678.jpg (182KB, 1365x810px) Image search: [Google]
6846868954678.jpg
182KB, 1365x810px
>>33360915

A guy on youtube made this version in .380.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/04dusehkebtbbhb/DIY+Sheet+Metal+Self-Loading+Pistol+MK3.pdf
>>
>>33361355
Link to the channel?
>>
File: CTgdojw.jpg (328KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CTgdojw.jpg
328KB, 1500x1000px
Bump
>>
>>33362331
That's actually a pretty beautiful gun.

Shotguns have relatively low pressures compared to rifles and are a good option for the homebuilder.

The link this guy posted >>33360055 is REALLY good info btw, read that whole page then read it again, until you understand it.
>>
>>33357063
You'll learn a lot about firearms just by assembling one.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.