[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trouble shooting an AR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (909KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
909KB, 3264x2448px
Hey /k/, recently got a psa ar and its not cycling ammo. The first time it ran fine for the first mag, then would frequently not pick up rounds for the rest of the day. Assuming it was a mag issue I took a Pmag i know works the next time, same issue. I used winchester white box so im assuming its a problem with the rifle, help?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I just noticed the gas tube is slightly off center, a bit to the left. But I wouldn't think this would be the issue because i can pull the trigger when it fails, maybe its reseting the hammer but not traveling far enough to grab a round?
>>
Op 99% of /k/tards dont actually know anything about guns other than which ones have which athstetics.

Do a functions check. What happens? If functions check goes well it sounds like sumn uncommon
>>
Pull off the hand guard and check the gas block and tube to make sure they're properly aligned with the gas port on the barrel and assembled correctly.
>>
>>33353738
what kind of ammo are you using?
is this a home-built frankengun or a complete rifle from the factory?
>>
Look at your buffer spring n stuff make sure its not somehow messed up. Like resting on the end of the buffer tube or something wierd. Other than that it seams like a gas issue. Undergassed for some reason.
>>
>>33353738
>he bought a psa
we warned you bro
>>
>>33353875
standard m193 winchester ammo. All stock rifle
except for the hand guard.
>>
>>33353903
ur just jealous of muh FN barrel
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Just checked alignment of the gas tube, cause for concern?
>>
>psa ar
>utg handguards
>eokek

What the fuck
>>
>>33353738
FTL is usually an issue where insufficient power is being transferred to the bolt carrier to cycle the action.

Your buffer may be too heavy for the load, the gas system may be fouled, gas may be 'leaking' from the system, or your gas system may have insufficent backpressure in general (so called "dissipator" builds have this issue).

When the bolt carrier is free to travel sufficiently, it usually will pick up and load a round.
>>
>>33353738
If the gas tube is out of alignment you'll feel it drag when you ride the charging handle forward . Check it without a magazine in . Actually you should put it all back together and spray lube all in it and just keep firing and keep running it wet. New ar's that don't cycle when new just need to run sloppy wet for a dozen mags and 99.5% of them will be fine after that.
>>
>>33354261
Bro, you should ask people at Arfcom or Akfiles. I doubt that the /k/ucks here are experts in this sort of thing.
>>
File: IMG_8833.jpg (565KB, 2094x1352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8833.jpg
565KB, 2094x1352px
Okay first off, what are the exact specs of your rifle.

Start with these.

1. Barrel Length
2. Gas Tube Length (Carbine, Mid, Rifle??)
3. Buffer Weight

That's going to help with the next questions.
>>
>>33353778
>I just noticed the gas tube is slightly off center, a bit to the left
If it's off enough, that'll be putting considerable resistance for the BCG to work against when it starts cycling.
>>
>>33354261
>>33353778
After looking at these I pretty highly suspect this is a gas tube alignment issue.
>>
>>33354353
i tried this and there is noticeable drag on the carrier when it reaches the gas tube. i think this is an alignment issue, im just gonna realign it myself because obviously neighborhood gun smith is retarded, thanks.
>>
>>33354644
I gotu nigga. That guy's wrong. You're supposed to disassemble the BCG and only use the carrier to do the test because the gas rings and cam pin can have resistance especially if it's new. Try and feel for any drag.

It's likely that it is undergassed. If the GB is not aligned properly it can cause undergas and the tube alignment issue. Just watch some youtube and you can fix it easily.

Also check for any burrs in the chamber.
>>
>>33354757
yeah I did it without the bolt, and it is noticeably harder to move, i checked gas block alignment myself and its pretty much spot on, idk. im just going to realign the barell nut and see if it works, if not its probably a leaky/fouled gas block.
>>
File: 1489093228730.png (61KB, 1354x889px) Image search: [Google]
1489093228730.png
61KB, 1354x889px
>>33353926
>not a ballistic advantage barrel
>>
>>33354803
is there a gap between the barrel and gasblock?
>>
>>33354877
no, its about as tight as it gets. I had to tap it into place with a rubber mallet.
>>
File: 1474230943788.jpg (202KB, 977x768px) Image search: [Google]
1474230943788.jpg
202KB, 977x768px
>>33354860
not having a glorious Belgian made barre, why live?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.