[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C&R FFL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: CR-parrotheadjeff-dot-com.jpg (103KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
CR-parrotheadjeff-dot-com.jpg
103KB, 600x392px
Have any of you guys gone ahead and gotten a C&R FFL? I'm considering it, just wondering if anyone here already has one and if they're worthwhile. I don't know all of the specifics, but once you get this license you can have C&R eligible firearms shipped right to your house, correct? You also need to keep a logbook of purchases and sales, which the ATF can request to view at any time right?

So have you guys looked into getting one? Any idea how long the turnaround time is between sending off the application and getting a response?
>>
I had one years ago. Took 6 weeks turnaround for me. I used it a ton back when nuggets and SKSes were dirt cheap and just cherry picked the best out out of each batch I bought. Lot of impulse buying back then.

If you are actually into older and surplus guns, then it's a good deal I think. The license pays for itself in just a single transfer in some places. ATF hardly does 03 audits, as it's a waste of their time.

It's also good for store discounts, since many stores consider you a dealer (even though you legally aren't) Brownells is pretty much the only place which discounts are worth a damn though.

I didn't bother renewing since to use c&r in CA means more hoops and and you still have to register your guns. I've since moved, but turns out c&r is even more useless in Oregon.
>>
>>33348401
Yeah I've heard having the ATF actually check your logs is pretty rare. They need to come in person to check them, right?

As far as what is considered a C&R firearm, is it just anything made over 50 years ago or is it more nuanced than that? I know Ian made a vid saying that Colt SP-1s are now C&R eligible, so does that mean at some point in the future every AR lower will be C&R eligible?

And as far as selling goes, once you hold an FFL, do you need to do background checks when selling or is that not required for C&R FFL holders?
>>
>>33348356
I had one 7 years ago, bought a some slavshit and swiss rifles really cheap. There's nothing left really that's priced right, unless through President Trump's power the cool stuff C&R stuff starts flowing back into this country.
>>
>>33348356
It's worthwhile if you buy a lot. Pays for itself within 2 transfers. Occasionally can get you discounts from some online shops too.
>>
>>33348460
>As far as what is considered a C&R firearm, is it just anything made over 50 years ago or is it more nuanced than that?
Definition from the ATF itself:
>Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
>Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
>Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Sort lingo - any gun over 50 years old plus a few other guns that have been manually added to the list (like the CZ-82)
>>
>>33348460
You can request that you go into their local office with your log books. You are not required to show them any of your guns.

Every gun will eventually qualify based on age. Curios, like the cz82, or age exempt, but will eventually qualify based on age as well.

You have to follow federal and local law. So if local law says that you have to do a back ground check, you gotta do it even if federally you are exempt if you are receiving a firearm that qualifies as c&r.
>>
>>33348482
Seems like it would be a good thing to have for just in case. Maybe a few crates full of surplus will show up somewhere and get imported, then it would be good to have this FFL to quickly put an order in.
>>
I had to wait longer than 6 weeks but that was many years ago. Keeping the book of purchases is not that big a deal, but do jump through the hoops and keep it up. I used mine for a handful of slavshit purchases back when I was broke and it was still super cheap. I didn't renew mine after the first 3 year term and haven't missed it, but if you can wait a couple months for it to go through you can save on transfer fees.
tl;dr do it unless you only want one C&R gun in the next 3 years
>>
>>33349912
There's plenty of C&R guns I'd like to buy. Really my main interest in firearms are historical ones, so I could see it being very detrimental to my bank account. I think I will go ahead and fill out the paperwork.

Now, several of you guys said that you've let your license lapse. What happens when you do that? Can you toss out your log book, or do you need to keep it forever incase the ATF comes knocking?
>>
>>33352139
The ATF does not require 03s send in their log book, so you can do whatever with it. I destroyed mine. Some people who intend on renewing their license actually let it lapse first, destroy their bound book, then reapply a week or two after.
>>
I also destroyed mine. I don't know about going through the hassle of letting it lapse so you can get rid of them, that seems like more trouble than it is worth to me.

Also the usual 4chan paranoia about hiding your power level applies here. Don't blab that you've got a package with rifles getting dropped off at noon by USPS that you'll grab when you get home from work.
>>
>>33348356
my opinion not worth it as the prices have gone up a lot
>>
>>33353327
True, but as time goes on, more firearms get added to the list of C&R eligible guns, right? Prices on guns in general always go up anyway, with a C&R license it becomes a little bit easier and faster to acquire guns you might be interested in at least.
>>
>>33353480
Upside is I think you renew once every 3 years so if you are starting a collection no matter the costs of the firearms it would be a good idea
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.