[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst Combat Zones in the entire universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 18

/k/, you are creative. What is the worst possible terrain for prolonged combat?

The worst spot you can imagine. I recall hearing about two forces going at it in the Himalayas and both forces eating dick in the process due to the environment and weather.
>>
>>33347376
The surface of the sun
>>
>>33347384
and
/thread
>>
>>33347376
The center of the sun.
>>
>>33347376
inside your own mind
>>
File: titan lakes.jpg (222KB, 1000x849px) Image search: [Google]
titan lakes.jpg
222KB, 1000x849px
The methane lakes of titan. Firing any incendiary devices or anything that can create a spark starts a massive 100 square mile fire on any given lake that would burn for thousands of years. So have fun fighting inside of a mass fire.
>>
>>33347391
My mind is squeaky clean.

On the surface of a neutron star.

Fighting within range of a magnetar, as the magnetic forces shred all atomic bonds turning any human to disorganized mush.
>>
thread got gay real fast...
>>
>>33347376
Himalayas
That was the Indian and Chinese 1962 Poo War, one side fighting for the right to poo in the mountains and the other side annoyed about the poo sliding down their side of the mountain.
5000m up, hurling faecal matter at 80,000 screaming, half frozen manlets
Shits crazy
>>
>>33347394
so why don't the lakes catch fire every time there is a lightning strike? dumbass. the atmosphere on Titan doesn't allow for combustion as there is no oxygen. it even rains methane
>>
At the bottom of the sea.
>>
>>33347423

Well in absolute terms, they are not wrong.

But to keep it more down to Earth, fighting in mega cities like Mexico city, Tokyo or Mumbai would be a real challenge to gather enough manpower and vehicles to storm such a place let allone fight a long protracted war. Then there's also large/mega cities with downtowns filled with skyscrapers like Shanghai and New York and each and every one of those highrises/skyscrapers effectively are a small town/village on their own in terms of square meters.
>>
File: a67.png (24KB, 559x484px)
a67.png
24KB, 559x484px
>>33347376
Anywhere with decent amounts of radiation, extreme temperatures, little to no oxygen, heavy depth pressures, hard access to resupply and reinforcements, environment actively trying to kill you, etc etc.
>>
>>33347394
>Firing any incendiary devices or anything that can create a spark starts a massive 100 square mile fire on any given lake that would burn for thousands of years.
No oxygen to sustain burning, dude.
>>
>>33347376
Antarctica would be very unpleasant I guess
>>
File: tumblr_nn8qoczX931tslewgo1_500.gif (179KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn8qoczX931tslewgo1_500.gif
179KB, 500x211px
>>33347376
Looks like peach trees
>>
>>33347567
Antarctica is mostly flat, Fighting would be easy, just dress warmly and have a decent logistic/resupply game plan.
>>
>>33347376
Some dug-up fields by the netherlands. I think early 20th century tech combined with millions of soldiers slaughtering each other for years would get pretty hellish.

Barring that, the moon.
>dropship crashes in the mountes alpes
>can't get signal out
>2 day hike to friendly outpost
>kill your squadmates to steal their air
>>
There's plenty of places in the universe where no human technology would survive for even a fraction of a second.

Even on Earth there are places where humanity simply cannot go, and thus where we cannot fight.
>>
>>33347384
>>33347388

Not if you go in at night.
>>
File: 1360814735927.png (216KB, 393x391px) Image search: [Google]
1360814735927.png
216KB, 393x391px
>>33347450
>>
File: forty keks.png (260KB, 358x310px)
forty keks.png
260KB, 358x310px
>>33348157
LIMA OSCAR LIMA
>>
West Virginia. It would make Stalingrad look like child's play.
>>
>>33347515
The problem is that outside of a few pieces of infrastructure, like airports and ports, there is little need to take a megacity and even less need to take the whole thing. Not to mention that any defender would have to tie up an extreme amount of resources to defend it. If you really wanted to take a city you'd be better off taking it's electrical supply then waiting a few weeks than going in guns blazing..
>>
Anywhere that is dark pink
>>
>>33347376
Australia
>>
>>33347376
Anything underground.
>>
>>33348157

That's where you are wrong. The sun is expecting you to land during the night. So it actually burns up even hotter and produces a blue flame, it does this to fool you so you land on it.
>>
File: image.png (8KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
8KB, 112x112px
>>33348157
>>
File: 453454.png (279KB, 898x790px)
453454.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>33348157
Really activated my almonds
>>
File: HK_9.jpg (340KB, 1600x1029px)
HK_9.jpg
340KB, 1600x1029px
I'd hate to have to clear these buildings. I'd hate to be on the ground, or across the way from one of these while a sniper was hiding inside. These are Hong Kong, I believe, so just imagine tens of thousands of asians fighting like drone bees to protect the hive.
>>
>>33348709
What if we go in daytime then? Surely it wont expect us to arrive at worst time for us? It might think we're smarter than that
>>
>>33348813
Just bomb them or surround from the same distance until they run out of food.
>>
>>33348813
That shit calls for demolition charges
>>
Infantry fighting in a black hole.
>>
>>33348838

That's when the sun is asleep, so Def land then. Not at 3:30, that's when the sun wakes up to shit out its UV flares, goes back to sleep at 4:00ish.
>>
>>33347376
Any kind of trench warfare. There's a reason humans have collectively decided not to fight that way ever again.
>>
File: sm.jpg (66KB, 852x477px) Image search: [Google]
sm.jpg
66KB, 852x477px
>>33348901
>>
File: 1489525413948.gif (2MB, 270x217px)
1489525413948.gif
2MB, 270x217px
Also, fighting in the desert. With modern support systems in place, water, facilities, etc, could be supplied to keep you alive and comfortable. But in a tital war scenario, I could see it becoming a real problem. Supply lines under attack. Millions of arabs swarming the dunes with camels and homemade weapinry.

Or what about truly mountainous terrain? Things like avalanches, blisteringly cold air, steep rock faces, and wide open sniper lookouts. The prospect of getting machinery and supplies in are low. The rugged terrain limits your 360° view, and surprises could be aroundevery corner. Limited paths of egress make booby traps a high probability.

Or hell, even the jungle. Low visibility. Difficult movement through thick ground cover. You know, the whole Vietnam thing.
>>
>>33347376
>gamespy servers
>cod online
>battlefield online
>your own solitude
>>
>>33348813
What strategic goal is there of taking these buildings and holding them? If the entire population of these building is protecting the hive, they are active combatants. Level the buildings.

>inb4 Since when does Shepard care about danger close?
>>
>>33347376
from my view: urban, mountains, desert
>>
>>33349061
I really don't know. I thought my scenario at least surpassed the believability of a fight inside the center of the sun, so I added it.

I could come up with some scenario that would explain it, but I'm sure everyone else can too. It just seems like a bitch to fight a battle there, so I added it.
>>
>>33347649
just bring some sofa cushions to stand on and you'll be fine.
>>
File: verdun grass.jpg (2MB, 2816x1584px) Image search: [Google]
verdun grass.jpg
2MB, 2816x1584px
you guys are all thinking about this backwards.
> What is the worst possible terrain for prolonged combat?
if you get immediately vaporized, it's no good. He wants us to suffer for a long time.

so, either a trench in February or the jungle in August.
>>
>>33347384
FPBP
>>
>>33347409
HOLY SHIT I REMEMBER NOW
>>
>>33347462
this, but why would you start a war over something down there?
>>
>>33347567
Literally North African front of ww2 but cold
>>
>>33348444
Especially if you hit a coal mine with an incendiary
>>
>>33348813
Yea, not gonna lie, don't see why you'd bother clearing them. Cut them off and wait for them to surrender or shake n' bake em tell they surrender or the whole thing goes up or down in flames.
>>
>>33348885
>Anything fighting in a black hole
ftfy
>>
>>33349061
well if you are taking sniper fire you either withdraw, which is a win for the sniper(s), smash the building with arty or airstrikes, or if those resources are not available and you have to hold that area, you go in and clear it
>>
>>33349773
Good point. It's like laying siege on a castle. You're going to lose too many guys trying to go in. Instead you just control the surrounding territory and starve them out. Maybe set a few fires as an example.

I guess maybe if we peppered the place with friendlies, or women and children, or something to make the prospects of complete annihilation too inhumane for our sensitive disposition. Then the scenario would make clearing the buildings necessary?

I don't know. What if we just lowered the percentage of enemies in there to 10% or something? Maybe dream up a scenario where there's 1000 Americans stuck in one of the buildings?
>>
>>33347376

Did 9 years with a specialized unit in the Military; lot's of urban/maritime combat training... I always fucking hated ship scenarios. The insides of ships or any other kind of "water-tight" spaces are nightmare fuel for firefights.

>Long, narrow passageways
>Tight, compact spaces
>Metal bulkheads everywhere, maximising ricochets FUCKING EVERYWHERE
>Gunshots inside this floating metal box of death reverberate to the point of almost becoming concussing, not to mention explosives
>Ladder-wells and hatches everywhere, 360 security is incredibly tough to maintain
>ladder-wells are a plunging fire nightmare
>Hatches, better known as "knee knockers" become cumbersome quickly, even with minimum battle rattle (plate carrier, long arm, and side arm)

I haven't even touched engineering spaces. Typing this out is triggering me too much. When humanity reaches space, grunts of the future are going to fucking dread boarding actions and ship combat
>>
>>33350074
this, third officer on a cargo ship here

Having to fight on a foreign ship against people that know every path through it would be a nightmare. Everywhere you go on the ship could have a guy with a knife ready to stab you in the neck
>>
>>33349702
Ahh! VORKUTA!!!!!!!
>>
>>33351026
>KILLSHIP
>Systematically weld off bulkheads forcing entry team to move down a level and take a circuitous route to their goal.
>Home team moves in behind them cutting them off at the ladder they took down.
>seals bulkhead behind them
>insertion team doesnt realize anything is wrong until they reach another dead end, all exits are sealed.
>compartment is slowly filled with water from ballast tanks.

Too metal for IRL.
>>
>>33351218
40k space hulk boarding parties. swarm them with tower shields, flamers, and chainswords and top it off with meltabombs
>>
>>33347394
>Firefight causes massive, actual fire

Hmmm
>>
>>33347376
Grozny
>>
File: flanders.png (673KB, 960x500px) Image search: [Google]
flanders.png
673KB, 960x500px
>>33347376
>The worst spot you can imagine
I don't have to imagine.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.