[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Favorite" wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Your "favorite" wars, as far as wars go obviously. Ones that are the most interesting or that call out to you.

For me the Boxer Rebellion is the most batshit crazy war there is.
>That one bit where Germans and Americans were holding off Boxers from an ancient Chinese castle Helm's Deep style
>They find an ancient Chinese canon and one of the guys good with explosives says the equivalent of, "Yeah I think I can get her working"
>Annihilate incoming Chinese horde with over loaded ancient Chinese canon filled with shrapnel that probably hadn't been fired in over hundreds of years
>>
>>33347290
The International Gun? uhhh, no.

It was an old European rifled cannon from 1860 Anglo-French expedition. It then mounted on an Italian carriage, manned by Americans, and uses Russian ammunitions.

The relief force on the road from Tientsin to Beijing did found a large stash of imported modern German weapons though
>>
>>33347414
>Russian shells of "aproximate" size
FTFY
>>
>>33347290

The siege of Tyre

Tyre pisses off Alexander, you don't piss off Alexander. Alexander starts to build a fucking bridge across the water, the Tyrians use a suicide fire boat to ram it and burn down Alexander's giant siege towers. Unfazed by what would cripple a normal man's plans Alexander simply conquers enough cities to get enough ships to blockade Tyre.

Alexander's ram ships are blocked by stones in the water. He builds goddamn crane ships to move them. This is 300 BC, motherfucker has crane ships.

Ram ships get cozy by the walls, one breeches the wall. Alexander himself leads the attack.

2000 men are fucking crucified outside the city. Not to mention the normal sort of slaughter that took place. Alexander did not fuck around.
>>
>>33347290
I think it's pretty cool we dropped nukes on Japan. Crisp them nips.

John Bassilone and Dan Daily died over there. Racism is acceptable if you provide historical context.
>>
>>33347290

Second Punic War:

Hannibal Barca, possibly one of the greatest military leaders in the world was running rampant in Roman lands. However, political bullshit in Carthage kept them from sending reinforcements. Had Carthage actually helped Hannibal then he may well have won. Scipio Africanus was a badass in his own right, but Hannibal was honestly fighting with one hand tied with his homeland playing little petty political games instead of helping conquer Rome.

By time Hannibal came back to Carthage his loyal army was long gone. Wasted and dead. He took command of some half assed army ammased by bean counters and men who could play politics but we're not 1/100th the leader of Hannibal.

It's my favorite war because of the amazing scope of it. Elephants over the Alps. The battle of Cannae. The brilliance of two of the greatest generals to ever live squaring off. The true might of Rome showing through as the weak and effete Carthaginians squandered their one chance at true greatness by petty bickering.

A wonderful war.
>>
File: Operation_Eland.png (51KB, 347x932px) Image search: [Google]
Operation_Eland.png
51KB, 347x932px
>>33347290
Any battle from Rhodesian forces really
>>
Any battle that modern tech against the old way
>>
>>33347590
WHEN THE NEW MEETS THE OLD IT ALWAYS ENDS THE ANCIENT WAYS
AND AS HISTORY TOLD THE OLD WAYS GO OUT IN A BLAZE
ENCIRCLED BY A VULTURE
THE END OF ANCIENT CULTURE
THE DAWN OF DESTINY DRAWS NEAR..
>>
>>33347290
vietnam then WWII, and also the revolutionary war.

inb4
>casual
>>
File: 1365096646960.png (1MB, 1917x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1365096646960.png
1MB, 1917x1081px
>>33347290
/k/old war best war
>>
>>33347739
Why wouldn't you list WW2 before Vietnam? Both cool wars but let's keep a historical timeline.
>>
>>33347290

"The Seige of Jadotville"

was a pretty based movie. Produced a "B"-list, but actually worthy of being mainscreen, unlike the putrid filth joolywood's so-called "A" list directors are pouring out.
>>
File: SxCb9dJg.jpg (76KB, 728x575px) Image search: [Google]
SxCb9dJg.jpg
76KB, 728x575px
i really dig chinese wars leading up to the Ming dynasty. If you look back in history in battles(especially in europe) ive found the amount of men involved underwhelming and the casualties relatively light with most armies choosing to run rather than fight.Chinese Armies were the largest at the time reaching 100,000 strong regularly. they were raised quite frequently to fight rebellions and these wars were so fierce that these armies actually do end up being annihilated.
>>
File: 30yearswar.jpg (92KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
30yearswar.jpg
92KB, 1024x576px
For me it's the 30 years war.
I'm living in the region where the peace negotiations were held, so there's a fuckton of museums, buildings and paintings.
Almost every town or village has it's own unique chapter in that war, so history is pretty alive. Feels good.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.