[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.40 S&W thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 733482_L1.jpg (137KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
733482_L1.jpg
137KB, 1200x1200px
Friend has one a Steyr M40A1 for sale (pic related), except it's in .40 s&w. He's getting rid of it for cheap, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to start shooting .40. s&w as I usually shoot .45 acp.

Would the recoil be more or less than a .45acp? I hear it's quite "snappy".
>>
File: 1448689324113.jpg (405KB, 1024x860px) Image search: [Google]
1448689324113.jpg
405KB, 1024x860px
b-bump
>mfw
>>
>>33345037
That's a nigger gun
>>
>>33345037
Buy a .357 sig barrel for it and call it a day
>>
>>33345037
I own that Steyr in 9x19 and am literally debating getting a .40 conversion kit.

Thing eats recoil for breakfast and 40 actually seems better suited.
>>
>>33347435
>Thing eats recoil for breakfast and 40 actually seems better suited.
so the .40 should have less felt recoil than a .45acp? i got 155gr fmj
>>
>>33347749
I can't split those hairs - only shot a 45 on a few occasions. 95% I shoot 9x19 but I also have a .40 (FNS, not the Steyr). Even using the same round, felt recoil can differ depending on the gun. All I'll say is, across the half dozen handguns I own, the Steyr recoils LEAST of all
>>
>>33345037
If you can shoot and afford to shoot .45, you can shoot .40.

Also, the whole ".40 is snappy" shit that is peddled 24/7 by the same people it always has been are likely basing their claim off of used or department issued Gen 2/Gen 3 Glocks with beat to shit RSAs. Some guns also handle the .40 better, like Gen 4 Glocks, the USP, and others.

It isn't 1990 anymore.
>>
for one thing if it's just a range toy It makes absolutely no difference as the recoil is in now way uncomfortable

If it's for defensive use then the difference in muzzle flip between 40 & 45 is negligible - both are easy to shoot quickly. If you're worried about slow follow up shots shoot 180 instead of lighter 40s as the recoil is more akin to 45, more of a push than a flip
>>
>>33347972
>like Gen 4 Glocks
FYI my new Gen 3 G26 shipped with the dual RSA
>>
>>33345037
The Steyr M40 is one of the few handguns that handles .40sw extremely well. You probably won't notice much of a difference between that and a Glock 19 in terms of recoil.
>>
>>33348520
Is it a hard enough boi to upgrade to 10mm?
>>
>>33345854
>>33345037

I got you pal.

People can only be medically incapacitated 2 ways with slug-chuckers (((boolits))).

A brain stem hit - the only instant and 100% guaranteed off switch.

The other way is blood loss. Blood loss via drop in blood pressure is a time-based situation with boolit wounds from handguns, even with a completely perforated heart a human being can physically function up to around 8 seconds - and that's assuming a perfect high thoracic cavity strike - gun fights are very imperfect, you might want to plan on carving out significantly more tissue.

The more tissue you crush and remove the faster blood is lost. More kinetic energy imparts more trauma, generates bigger permanent crush cavities, shatters more bones and drives pieces of those bones further with more energy, lacerating and causing more hemorrhaging.

.40 is wily and recognized as high energy, laws of physics dictate equal and opposite reactions. If your rounds dump more trauma imparting, tissue crushing kinetic energy into the target it's perfectly reasonable to expect more fight from the gun in return.

Typically, for an advanced level shooter (someone at the 60%-75% mark) .40 S&W adds about ~.15 seconds to splits which is proportionally almost exactly how much more energy they dump in to the target than 9x19 (~50% more) - In my opinion it's a side-grade, a fair trade, whatever you want to call it. The numbers actually skew in favor of the .40S&W but as stated I'm also assuming an advanced level of shooting from the operator so there is discrepancy.

In the 90's and early 2000's recording and compiling volumes of anecdotal, individual shootings and their results was a very popular metric. During this time the .40S&W outperformed every other duty caliber in terms of one shot stops.

Yeah, we know now a days that this is not good science, doesn't change the fact that a fuckload of aggressors have been put down right then right there with a single .40S&W
>>
>>33348666

All this said,40 is a complete side grade, you literally exchange the almost exact proportional amount of speed for almost the exact proportional gain in tissue crushing. I'm not saying it's better than 9x19, I'm just really fucking tired of the echo chamber regurgitated one liners tossed around the web like gospel, all because some bureaucratic bean counters at the FBI needed to justify cutting ammo cost and training.

Also don't hold your breath on the complete flushing of 40.

The ice we are on is so thin is will take one high profile incident of an anecdotal nature where someone survives a strike from the current hotness (A La Miami FBI shootout) and we will go back around the merry-go-round of higher energy, more powerful ballistic reasoning.
>>
>>33348666
He asked about the recoil. It has less energy than a .45's recoil but a more abrupt muzzle flip. If you already shoot .45 it will just be a different impulse that you adjust to. A 10mm is closer to .45 in terms of actual felt recoil.
>>
>>33347793
>>33347972
>>33348520
>The Steyr M40 is one of the few handguns that handles .40sw extremely well. You probably won't notice much of a difference between that and a Glock 19 in terms of recoil.
>>33348666
>>33348680
OP here, thanks for the input. The reason I'm asking about recoil is that I'm thinking of using it to as an "intro" gun if I wanted to bring someone to the range. If it was softer shooting, I may just let them shoot that, instead of the 1911. But if the recoil is negligable, and if the M40 really handles it well, I guess I can always further mitigate it by adding a light.
>>
>>33347344
I like that ideal.
>>
I'm switching from 9 to 40 just because ammo comparability with my g20 10mm and being able to make major in uspsa. Also nice that the cheap stuff can be subsonic for suppressed use.
>>
>>33347972

If you don't think .40 is snappy, then truly have not shot one, are a probably no guns. Don't forget, .40 is nothing more than a shorter 10mm
>>
File: snappy.jpg (177KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
snappy.jpg
177KB, 500x500px
>>33348857
It's a very good full size to teach someone with, yes. My first .40 was one of the better poly compacts and I wish I had started with something like the M40. I picked up a subcompact 380 after 500 rounds of that thing and laughed through the whole magazine because my hand wasn't moving. That compact has a hair more recoil than a M&P 9mm so it really does matter what gun you choose for a .40
>>
File: 14989879731.jpg (173KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
14989879731.jpg
173KB, 800x600px
I just picked my .40 today :3
>>
File: IMG_1666.jpg (190KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1666.jpg
190KB, 1000x750px
>>33349229
If it does as well as my full-size M&P did, that thing will be very fun to shoot.
>>
>>33348857
Like maybe im just some kind of unbelievable faggot but my recollection is that there's a significant difference between .45 and .40 shootability wise. Keep in mind that this is a sample size of one anecdote from a skellington man. With that said firing +p 165gr .40 rounds out of a P229 is the only handgun experience that I actually found uncomfortable. 180gr rounds were more manageable but still slightly annoying. Maybe my grip was shit but it seemed like the 165s actually caused slight pain when firing on the part of my palm where the bone was closest to the skin. Muzzle flip was worse than firing moderately warm 125s from a 4" security six which caused me no similar hand pain. Needless to say, even though i got that sig for a song in a trade, I got rid of it shortly afterwards. Recently I got a commander length 1911 as I had always wanted one and it's a hoot to shoot. Sure, the recoils noticeably more forceful than a 9mm but it isnt anywhere near unpleasant levels with 230gr rounds. Probably something to do with peak forces and the length of time the recoil acceleration occurs over. Maybe some stout light for caliber loads would feel similarly unpleasant to my hands, ill have to give it a try sometime.

TL;DR I'd really recommend starting new shooters on a 9mm or even 45 instead of a .40. Otherwise you're just begging to have them develop a flinch.
>>
>>33349105
>It's a very good full size to teach someone with, yes.
Gotcha, thanks.
>>33349508
>TL;DR I'd really recommend starting new shooters on a 9mm or even 45 instead of a .40. Otherwise you're just begging to have them develop a flinch.
I don't have a 9mm, and the reason im considering this is because a friend is selling it for dirt cheap.
>>
>>33349229
>>33349269
Bought my m&p40 off someone who bought the shield and liked it enough at the range to not want both. You should be a okay.
>>
>>33348150
All Gen 3 baby Glocks have a dual RSA.

>>33348936
No, I have. Just today, even. It's a USP, hence why I recommend it.
>>
>>33351699
weird. not gen 3 g19/17 though?
>>
>>33353399
Correct.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.