[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
/k/ommandos is joining the air force a good first step to take if I want to become an astronaut?
>>
>>33338211
No. Being a fighter pilot is. Navy, Air Force, Army, and Marines all have that.
>>
>>33338243
Is there any branch that I should consider jprioritizing the others in that respect of us it just the flight experience get matters?
>>
a better step would be to go get a doctorate degree in a field of relevant science.

ie, study zero-gravity botany, lunar geology, or something like that.

the age of ex-military pilots becoming astronauts likely to be history by the time you're old enough, and skilled enough to be considered for the role.
>>
>>33338284
>the age of ex-military pilots becoming astronauts likely to be history by the time you're old enough, and skilled enough to be considered for the role
I was somewhat in apprehension of this.
The privatization of the space industry looks like the main route we're taking in the future.

So would it be smarter to go into reserves instead?
>>
>>33338335
I think it would be smarter to have a high qualification from university.

failing that, either a naval flight captain, or air force equivalent role. go through the last 20 Shuttle flights and look at the biographies of the pilot and commander for each flight.

Possibly a civiilan degree in aeronautics and engineering, and a career in test piloting work for the likes of LM Boeing, etc.

To be blunt, its a field you need to be the brightest, highest-educated scientifically minded person available, and for a piloting role, have huge amounts of flight hours. Simply being a reserves grunt is unlikely to give you the slightest chance.
>>
>>33338397
>>33338397
This anon is correct. You need to literally be one of the smartest people on the planet to go into space. Get off /k/ and start studying
>>
>>33338413
>one of the smartests

is a little big of an overreaction nowadays. With private companies growing the standars will go lower. But yes. The best way to become an astronaut is to get really fucking smart in the university and then MAYBE join some fighter pilot MOS in the airforce or the marines or the army or the navy.

Still, remember: NASA is a piece of shit nowadays. I think that the ISS support is being left to the ruskies and the cannucks and europeans now. They dont even build shuttles anymore i think.
>>
File: Boeing starliner.jpg (261KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Boeing starliner.jpg
261KB, 1280x720px
>>33338604

>They dont even build shuttles anymore i think.

NASA is building the Orion capsule, SpaceX is building the DragonV2 and Boeing is building the Starliner. NASA and ESA are also funding the Dream Chaser by Sierra Nevada Corp.

Americans are doing plenty to build manned space vehicles.
>>
File: 1489284474177.jpg (30KB, 840x544px) Image search: [Google]
1489284474177.jpg
30KB, 840x544px
>>33338211
Because I will be one of guys who builds the first manned Mars rocket.

I have no intention of going myself, but I'll help build everything necessary to get there.
>>
If you have to ask how, you're not going to be an astronaut. I applied years ago, and was rejected in the second round of interviewing. I have thousands of turbine PIC hours, and a graduate degree in engineering from a top university.

However, if you want to know, it's 20% education, 20% experience, 20% who you know, 20% physical ability/appearance/public image/speaking, and 20% the intangibles. I fell short in the intangibles area, they didn't feel I was a good fit.
>>
File: 98mods.jpg (800KB, 2617x1741px) Image search: [Google]
98mods.jpg
800KB, 2617x1741px
>>33338604
>shuttles
The shuttles were a failure anyway.
>>
>>33340234
>intangibles
Sex and skin tone?
>>
>>33338211
Anon if you're on fucking 4chan about how to get one of the most exclusive and prestigious jobs on the entire planet I have some bad news for you...

But on the off chance you're 14 years old and there is still a sliver of hope for you. Unfuck your life, get off 4chan, go to college and major in something like bio, chemistry or even be a doctor (crews need flight surgeons). Start looking for information on real reputable websites. Hell e-mail an astronaut or ask one on twitter about how to get in.

There are so many pilots floating around that you would have to be THE BEST in the US armed forces if you want them to pick you just on your ability to fly a piece of metal through the sky.

But none of that matters because your ass is NEVER leaving planet earth.
>>
>>33340369
There's being realistic then there's being pessimistic, anon.

As for OP, considering that quickly space travel is going to become a bussiness, you just need money. Lots of it. And wait a few years.
>>
I looked at SpaceX, I'm at a major airline now. The problem there is they want you to be, either already an astronaut, or you are the daughter of a Congressman. These companies need major government funding to stay alive, so the astronaut selection will also be a major business decision.

You best bet would be to have your mother, or father run for Congress, win, and get on the associated committee that approves funding for private space contractors.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.