[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

well /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

File: WHO WOULD WIN.gif (194KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
WHO WOULD WIN.gif
194KB, 800x600px
well /k/?
>>
File: 1476287617648.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1476287617648.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>muh based soviet military
>>
>>33337827
>stingers were out dated
Terrible shitpost and you should feel bad for it
>>
File: 1489086980973.gif (43KB, 600x174px) Image search: [Google]
1489086980973.gif
43KB, 600x174px
>America lost Vietnam/Soviets lost Afghanistan

I'll never understand this meme.

>School bully demands your lunch money
>Say no
>He beats the shit out if you for ten minutes straight
>Eventually he stops and goes home because he opened up a knuckle when he broke your nose and he wants to wash the blood off his shoes before it stains
>He forgets to take your money
>"HAHAHAH BULLY BTFO! I MAY HAVE A BROKEN NOSE AND I THINK A RIB IS FRACTURED BUT I STILL HAVE MY MONEY I WIN I WIN!"
>>
>>33338543
because the goal of the bully was to take your money, and your goal was to keep it

you managed to keep your money

ergo you suceeded and the bully did not achieve his goal

and that makes it a victory
>>
>>33339009
this

one has not defeated an insurgency if you have to come back in 2003 to fight lighterally the same insurgency for 14+ more years
>>
>>33338543

That's not a meme. That's called achieving a strategic endstate. As >>33339009 points out, the entire point of armed conflict is to achieve some kind of political objective--being really good at violence is not in itself valuable.
>>
>>33337827
is their a vietnam version of this that include SK, Australia, S Vietnam, and the French armies?
>>
File: 1465774142605.jpg (100KB, 600x602px) Image search: [Google]
1465774142605.jpg
100KB, 600x602px
>Get shot at
>Flatten the 6 villages in the vague direction the shots came from

It was more a political defeat than a military one.
>>
File: 1489712513772.png (221KB, 487x726px) Image search: [Google]
1489712513772.png
221KB, 487x726px
I read a story about some high ranking Soviet officer that would go to community schools in Afghanistan to try and drum up support for the communist government.

He would talk to them about how everyone should be committed to their country. He used the example of children in WW2 Russia who would put dirt in the Germans machine guns.

I think they missed the point of the lesson because the Afghan kids then started routinely putting sand in the Soviet's machine guns
>>
>>33339009
I'd say that makes it a pyrrhic victory at best, considering that it would have been cheaper to just hand over the money then to pay for your fractured rib.

At worst I'd say it was indecisive. Your goal in saying "no" to the bully in the first place was to defend your money, which you failed miserably in doing. You got your ass beat with little to no contest. The one and only reason you still have your money is because of the bullys changing prerogative, not because of any merit on your part. True, the bully didn't get what he came for, but to say you beat him would imply you bested him combat when you obviously didn't. So again, at best the situation was indecisive since neither party really came out on top.
>>
File: CcjMWaoXIAAKByw.jpg (41KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CcjMWaoXIAAKByw.jpg
41KB, 600x338px
>>33339097
>Man kicks down your door in the middle of the night to murder you and your family
>Instead he just ties you up, rapes your wife repeatedly and leaves
>"Me and my family won this fight because his initial goal was to kill us and he didn't. He failed to achieve his strategic goal, and therefore this is a resounding victory for me and my wife. In fact, tomarrow I am going to brag to all my coworkers about how I heroically watched helplessly as a home invader sodomized my wifes anus and how we cheered in triumph when he decided to leave."
>>
File: 1472859599397.jpg (48KB, 540x342px) Image search: [Google]
1472859599397.jpg
48KB, 540x342px
>>33339333
>Enter country to support government in fighting against insurgency
>Ten years later
>Withdraw from country
>Government collapses to aforementioned insurgency

How is that anything other than losing?
Stop spouting stupid anecdotes.
>>
>>33339427
Don't listen to that other retard.
Blind patriotism and propaganda have already gotten their claws into that poor defenseless anon.
>>
>>33338631

Considering that the bulk of information on warfare that an inexperienced civilian may have access to exists in the form of books and whatever they can find on the internet, the ability to read is probably helpful.
>>
>>33339333

>strawmanning this hard
>>
>>33338543
The bully also went home that night and didn't sleep because he was afraid you'd slit his throat in his sleep (a-la Soviet horror stories about Afghans killing one sleeping soldier and leaving him for his buddies to find, still in bed. Or in his foxhole.)

He was also afraid you'd crash your car into his house (U.S. flipping shit about more attacks like 9/11)
>>
>>33338543
That's not really like what happened
More like:
>School bully demands your lunch money
>Say no
>He beats the shit out if you for ten minutes straight
>Rival school bully gives you a gun
>you shoot bully
>>
>>33339333
Was this a war situation, you would have won.

Hell, had I pay some guys to go to your house and murder you, and they raped your wife and daughter instead, I would kill them myself in anger after torturing them slowly and paying someone else to go back and kill you.
>>
>>33339427
>Withdraw from country
>Still somehow responsible for that country and its military effectiveness

I wasn't aware you could lose a war you are officially no longer a part of. For the duration of Americas involvement in the war, the NVA and VC suffered terrible losses and gained little if any ground, and they consistently lost engagements with the US. What happened after America withdrew from the conflict has no bearing on the performance of the US military.

If the US was responsible for South Vietnam even after the US officially cut military support to them, than you would have to say that Australia, Spain, New Zealand, Canada, the UK, Iran, Thailand, China, Germany, and the Philippines also lost the Vietnam War because they at some point provided military or logistical assistance to the South as well.
>>
>We did it Dao!
>We fought off the Americans!
>>
>>33338543
Ahhh, the pipe strip.
Sent me into an existential crisis when I watched that YouTube video.
>>
File: Born lucky.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Born lucky.webm
1MB, 640x480px
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.