[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what makes a rifle worth $2000 to you? Features? Performance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: yThnrTo.jpg (95KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
yThnrTo.jpg
95KB, 576x432px
So what makes a rifle worth $2000 to you? Features? Performance? Nostalgic value?
>>
>>33335883
Some guy saying "pay me 2k for this gun" and the other guys going "da, this good price".
>>
>>33335898
This.

If I want the gun for whatever reason and the market values it at $2000 then so be it.
>>
File: IMG_20170228_174639302.jpg (2MB, 2331x3535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170228_174639302.jpg
2MB, 2331x3535px
>>33335883
Has to make my penis hard
>>
>>33335883
How cool/rare/obscure it is.
>>
>>33335883
Being that i personally have no use for any of the rifles that would cost that much? It would need to have sentimental value. My grandpas durr gun he fed the family with during the depression? Worth its weight in gold (to me)
My most expensive rifle was only 839, and was used.
>>
>>33335883
E3 bolt, ambidextrous controls, and a refined intermediate length gas system.
>>
>>33335883
A better question, to me, is "what makes a $2000 rifle worth twice as much as a $1000 rifle?"
>>
>>33335883
If I want said gun and it costs 2,000 or more dollarydoos to acquire it.

It would be either some cool/rarer historical gun that would be more a collector thing and less to shoot, a low production but nice gun (Rockola m14 or something), or something gucci whizbang shit that is expensive but decent and probably in lower production (scar 17).
>>
>>33336069
Supply.
>>
Quality of manufacture. No plastic components (furniture exempt) no short cuts, proper fit and finish, none of that deformation of parts after 1k rounds.

There is a big difference between an IO ak and an fn scar.
>>
File: image.png (957KB, 484x784px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
957KB, 484x784px
>>33335898
>You must be of kiddings, comrade.
>>
Quality, performance, aesthetics.

I bought a SR-15 Stoner Rifle (before mod 1), in taupe because it looked like cool as fuck to me. Also at that price what I got was so much better than a run of the mill AR15.

I also have a Daniel Defenss M4A1 because I really like the Milspec look to it. Changed the furniture though with BCM grip and B5 Bravo stock in Coyote.

Torn between buying a FAL rifle, M1 or FN M16A4 next.

I know I'm overpaying for stuff that's expensive just to fill a niche market but I've made a mistake of buying something I didn't really want in the past. Never again.
>>
>>33335883
Barrel, and reliability better be top 10%, assuming it isn't a BMG or what ever then I'd expect to pay five times that for quality.
>>
>>33335982
This. My grandpas first rifle was an arisaka, but he doesnt know what happened to it anymore

Id drop a good deal of money to find it, but there's just no way to know
>>
>>33336069
Yeah. Diminishing returns says you won't get much more quality for that extra $1000. Depending on who you are, and how you use it, it may or may not be worth that extra $1000.
>>
>>33336069

Way to kill the mood, anon.
>>
>>33336559

Apologies there, Engels. Clearly a 2000 rifle should have required twice the amount of labor as a rifle half it's price.
>>
>>33337032
Not same guy, but you clearly don't understand what skilled labor is and how it applies to karl marx's Das Kapital
>>
>>33337058

Last I remember, c + l = w did not account for skilled vs unskilled labor since it used the average of labor, and Engels explicitly discounted the difference.

But it's been a while, and Kapital was a bitch to work through, so I'm open to see where I missed that part.
>>
>>33335883

It's a fucking helluva gun, but it's a real gun, a heavy gun, a gun that a man uses, and k is full of children, little children, children who need the newest toys, the cheapest toys, the toys their friends have.

It's too expensive for these children, it's over their allowance. They spend $700 to put together an AR variant, they put the cheapest pieces on it, they spend $1300 to trick their shitty AR out, to make it look like a real rifle, to make it look like it's something worth having.

To them, the bells and whistles are the gun, the gun is not the gun. They don't want to spend $1400 on a rifle, they want to spend $1400 on accessories, toys for their toys. It's a mans gun with a mans price and needs no toys, it is a tool.
>>
Not being poor.
>>
>>33337185
I remember being nineteen too
>>
>>33337217

He's trying to push a meme from the scout rifle thread.
>>
>>33335883
Functionality and reliability. Ergonomics and aesthetics are close seconds.
>>
>>33336539
And yet you have $3500 rifles that have plastic wear parts and deform after 1k rounds while having Khyber Pass-tier fit and finish (HK416 & co) and $500 rifles that have forged internals and fit/finish that looks like they were done by master craftsmen (Browning/Miroku A-Bolt III).

Sometimes you pay a LOOOOT for a unique design or a brand name. Other times there are some hella good values that perform well above their price point. Labor costs play a big role in it as well, one of the reasons FN, HK, and Sako guns cost so much more than others that perform similarly if not better.
>>
>>33335883
>asthetics
>scarcity
>historical value
>performance

there are many types of guns that have many different purposes.

i for one would pay 2k for a luger as its incredibly appealing to me, but im not interested in a distance rifle worth 2k off the shelf. but a noveske limited edition ar-15 would interest me.

its all personal preference.
>>
>>33337370

Are the Browning and Howa rifles preety good? Both make a 20" mountain rifle in 7mm-08 and I'm tempted, but I don't know enough about the companies.
>>
>>33337404
The Howa's are an incredibly good value, yeah. I don't particularly like either iteration of their trigger (the unnamed single-stage that was the original or the HACT 2-stage) but they're very robust actions and the workmanship in them is far above their price point.

Personally I think the A-Bolt III is the best value in a hunting rifle going. CHF barrel, decent factory trigger, both that I've shot were capable of sub-MOA 3-shot groups with several brands of factory hunting ammo and one was consistently capable of holding barely-sub-MOA 10-shot groups with Fed Fusion despite being a sporter barrel. I also really like the lines and handling on the AB3, it comes to the shoulder well, looks good, and balances phenomenally.

I've personally been eyeballing a Howa 1500 Lightning in .243 as an antelope and general-plains-carry rifle simply because it's cheap ($350 on buds) and light (~6lbs OOTB). I think their mountain rifles look goofy with the extensive weight cutouts but they do perform.
>>
>>33337453

Ugh, thanks for the info.

I'm torn between a Henry Long Ranger in .243 and a Howa Alpine in 7mm-08. I want a rifle in a .284 cartridge, but Howa doesn't make a left handed action. I'd hoped Howa's were shit, so I could make an easy decision.
>>
>>33337493
The Howa will be far and away more accurate than the Long Ranger, but dat levergun tho.

That being said I'm not seeing the Long Ranger offered in 7mm-08 or any other .284 for that matter on their website, so if you're after one hardcore you're kinda SOL there.

Also
>want an alpine rifle cuz weight and length
>but I also want this 7lb unloaded levergat
Sounds like you really need 2 different rifles.
>>
>>33335883
nothing, diminishing reward after 1 grand imo.
>>
>>33335883
It's an antique bolt action.
>>
>>33335883
>supply/demand of the product
>features of the product
>country of origin
>historic significance (George "stand your ground" Zimmerman, WW2 surplus, John Wick glock, etc.)
>how much does the Rabbi of your LGS want to make
just a few off the top of my head
>>
>>33337493
>>33337544
One other thing.

One of the reasons the Howa is so cheap is it's a pretty basic design. It's a very good design, but it's old and there's not been a lot of R&D in it since it's been a proven design for forever.
>90* bolt throw
>push feed
>tubular action with separate (pinned) recoil lug
>3-position safety
But it does have some "premium" features such as the Sako style claw extractor, CHF barrel, and a 2-stage trigger that is user serviceable and not riveted together. It's also available with a factory DBM that while ugly is reliable.
>>
>>33337544

Anything with a 20" barrel at or under 7lbs is enough. The HLR will be plenty accurate for what I need as well.

But yeah, looks like I'll have to settle for .243 if I want that sweet, sweet lever action.
>>
File: mk18_black_l_02-088-07327[1].jpg (314KB, 2000x800px) Image search: [Google]
mk18_black_l_02-088-07327[1].jpg
314KB, 2000x800px
>>33335883
gucci brand
>>
>>33337706
Well .243 is an amazingly capable round. I'd trust it on anything smaller than elk for routine hunting, and there are people that successfully and ethically hunt elk with it. Just be smart with your bullet selection (IE don't be shooting 70gr ballistic tips at mulies at 400y).

I've also killed a grizzly with it during a sheep hunt, but it wasn't an oh shit situation we saw one and the rancher that was guiding me had authorization to kill them on sight because they were slaughtering his livestock so I shot it at about 110 yards.
>>
>>33337741

Holy shit, dude. Where did you hit him and how far did he get?
>>
>>33337769
At that range I held an inch under his ear and exploded his head. He went 0 feet because I exploded his head.
>>
File: pretty_fucking_metal.jpg (15KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
pretty_fucking_metal.jpg
15KB, 300x208px
>>33337786
>>
File: burr.jpg (74KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
burr.jpg
74KB, 640x360px
>>33337811
It was a gimmie shot, I had a solid rest and the bear was just kinda standing there not-quite-quartering away.

Very similar to this presentation.
>>
>>33335883
supply and demand
>>
>>33337171
Lol yeah, das kapital is wordy as fuck

Basically das kapital says that skilled labor = some factor times average unskilled labor

So an average hour of doctor work might equal 10 * an average hour of unskilled labor

It's in the first chapter of the first volume somewhere, i only know because it was the only part i read >.>
>>
>>33335883
literally nothing comes to mind. unless it gives blowjobs?
>>
>>33337193
This guy gets it.
>>
For an AR15: Ambi, sub moa out to an appropriate distance for barrel length, appropriate Geissele trigger for the application, don't know if I could get to $2k without optics/stamps though

AR10: my build list is $2k with optics, Nobody makes what I want but if they did i'd buy it off the rack.

Other 2k rifles (with optics) on my wishlist are just cause, SCARs, Brens, MCX, SBRs.
>>
This seems like a good place to ask--what are the best buys for a .308 bolt action of new production today? I'm not looking for anything gucci or collectible, but I don't want something that's the rifle equivalent of a Hi-Point either.
>>
>>33339129
Savage 10 FCP-SR is my choice at least.
>>
>>33339254
What makes it an ideal choice over the competition in your opinion?
>>
File: 1474015657770.jpg (97KB, 464x700px) Image search: [Google]
1474015657770.jpg
97KB, 464x700px
>>33338349
>Basically das kapital says that skilled labor = some factor times average unskilled labor
here's the catch. who determines "some factor"?
>>
>>33339373
Just make it 1.5 like they do in stats
>>
How eady it is to drop in full retard parts with no milling.....
>>
>>33341079
*easy
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.