[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does you like more philosophical war movies, Anon? Pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: The_Thin_Red_Line_Poster.jpg (93KB, 299x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Thin_Red_Line_Poster.jpg
93KB, 299x400px
Does you like more philosophical war movies, Anon? Pic related.
Also general war movies thread, I guess.
>>
Thin red line a shit

Worst fucking modern war movie
>>
>>33334234
Did it make you think too much?
>>
>>33334234
I liked the combat scenes and that was about it, wish they spent more time on Bell's and Doll's character instead of dick riding the fact that George Clooney, John Cusack and Adrien Brody were in it for like 10 minutes of the whole movie.

I liked Woody Harrelsons character too, they killed him off way too soon.
>>
>>33334226
Thin Red Line sucked MAJOR ass, my dude. Stalingrad and All Quiet on the Western Front are probably the only war movies you could consider to be "philosophical".
>>
File: 1481939992382.jpg (37KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
1481939992382.jpg
37KB, 396x382px
Barry Lyndon and Full Metal Jacket are my favorites.
>>33334234
>>33334708
hang yourself m'dudes
>>
>>33334682
>they killed him off way too soon
Would you say that was a rookie mistake?
>>
>>33334796
I'd say it was a recruit trick to pull
>>
>>33334226

Thin Red line has some of the best cinematography of all time. You don't even realize how complex some of the shots are because of how well they were done. The camera is totally transparent.

It isn't a conventional war movie though. It's really about the nature of man, and war is just used as a backdrop that people can easily relate to in a cinematic sense.

>>33334682

My understanding is that the original cut of the movie was almost 6 hours long and from that they pulled the most compelling story lines.
>>
>>33334226
I does like properly spoken sentences.

Something you does not do.
>>
>>33335242
Terrence Malick is a nature spirit. The way he controls clouds in his shots is incredible.
>>
>>33335242
Its about a bunch of fucking Army losers who are either too dumb, pansy-assed or "cool" to follow orders.

The officers are not better, they cannot motivate their men by example nor use sheer force of rank to make them move.

The movie is about a loser unit filled with loser soldiers, loser NCOs and loser COs that breaks during a fight, that in reality happened, after virtually every shooting on Guadalcanal was over.

Instead of making a movie about the soldiers who had to fight the real battles of that campaign - the earlier Army and Marines units - they show this bunch of assholes who should've been court martialed and shot for
- Cowardice in the field
- Insubordination
- Failure at giving orders / being an authority
>>
>>33334226
Ivan's Childhood is one of the better ones.
>>
>>33335316
You win the award for being passive aggrrsive. What the hell happened to you?
>>
>>33335316
This tbqh

The movie pisses all over what the troops that really took Guadalcanal had to endure.

It's straight left-wing >hurr war's bad m'kay
bullshittery. Yeah, there were solders and officers who couldnt stand the pressure. But instead of making them immortal by making a movie about them, they should have done a film about those who had to deal with worse problems thus honoring them

Yeah, war IS shit and people dying IS shit. I dont need no liberal bullshit-movie to tell me that.

But especially WW2 was a just war for the US - and I straight refuse to watch movies that glorify those who were not willing to fight a just war. Period.
>>
File: 2352353453.jpg (77KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
2352353453.jpg
77KB, 680x680px
>>33334792
>>
>>33335326
That's got nothing to do with being passive-aggressive. As >>33335339 wrote: WW2 was a "good war" as far as it concernes the USA.

And The Thin Red Line shows the Cowards, the incompetent, the deserters, the traitors - mixes it with beautiful landscape shots and uses it as a vehicle to transport its narrative "War is NEVER EVER EVER okay"

Yes, war CAN be ok, war CAN be justified and both US campaigns of the war were OK and justified because we fought evil assholes.
>>
File: 1463298460668.jpg (56KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
1463298460668.jpg
56KB, 640x632px
>>33335242
>Muh deep thoughts
>Muh philosophy
>Muh nature of man
>>
>>33335350
Oh ok. But who could even watch the thin red line. That's the Ben Affleck one right? Just close it.
>>
>>33334234
It should have rolled with Vietnam for its hippie message. Terrence could keep his sexy jungle shots, and you got a war that was genuinely pointless, poorly conducted, and morally gray. Instead he opts for what is widely considered one of the only justifiable wars in Western history, paints every soldier as some poorly motivated, poorly lead, poorly performing asswipe, and depicts Guadalcanal as some beautiful innocent victim of man's destructive nature (muh poor baby parrot) when it was considered by both sides as a particularly shitty hellhole in a campaign riddled with awful fighting locales.

I got what Terrence wanted to do with TRL, but the only thing he properly did in making it was the cinematography, and he's a legend in the industry for making amazing scenes.
>>
>>33335316
>>33335339
This.

Thin Red Line is basically "a high school poetry/philosophy class goes to war with no training". It's absolute garbage
>>
I like to dig old war movies, even more foreign movies. I watched some few days agon on youtube the polish movie "Westerplatte" from 1967, about the battle of same name, and the first battle of WWII, where poles defended their isolated fortress against heavy german attacks for seven days. I watched without subs and I know jack shit of polish, but doesn't seem like I lost much from the dialogues. Technically speaking is a pretty good war movie, the battle scenes are incredibly realistic and sober, without over the top and exaggerated stuff that we usually see in war movies from eastern countries.

I will probably look "Kanal" from 1957, about the Warsaw Uprising, sometime in the future.
>>
this movie is only good beyond a visual sense if you have no basic understanding of ww2 and are a lefty fag.
>>
>>33335386
Well, you've got a point - and I think exaclty the same

>>33335390
True. It nagged me to oblivion that the troops acted like someone shanghaied them from their schools and workplaces, put them on a ship, gave them a uniform, gun and no training and said "go take this hill".

It was just unrealisitc as fuck - not even the worst conscripts would have acted in such a bad manner.
>>
What is everyones problem with this film? Action was good and somewhat realistic or am I being trolled?
>>
File: lepasela.jpg (148KB, 716x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lepasela.jpg
148KB, 716x1000px
More people should watch this desu
>>
>>33335813
Somebody goes into long deep poetry sessions about combat while it is happening as if anyone would have bothered. War doesn't work like that. Maybe 20 years later while reflecting but not while it is happening.
>>
>>33335339
>Yeah, there were solders and officers who couldnt stand the pressure. But instead of making them immortal by making a movie about them, they should have done a film about those who had to deal with worse problems thus honoring them

You're not honoring people by watching Saving Private Ryan or playing Call of Duty you fucking moron. Nobody is being "made immortal". They're fictional characters based upon a fictional book written by someone that actually served on Guadalcanal.

As "anti-war" movies go, Thin Red Line is downright tame compared to Apocalypse Now or Cross of Iron.
>>
>>33335988
>Cross of Iron
>that intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9Sh91htIA
>>
>>33335988
Apocalypse Now is the greatest piece of cinema ever made, though
>>
File: 1489214543729.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489214543729.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>33335827
Holy shit, yes.
>Why did you kill my mother?
>I didn't. Why did you burn down our garage?
>I didn't.
>>
>>33335827
When I watched it I expected to know why the use of the rebel flag.. instead I get a movie where bear grylls probably watched years ago.

Cool music though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THakiqiWprA
>>
>>33335362
13 Hours was a great fucking movie. Lone Survivor was shit and so was American Sniper. Literally the only good contemporary war movie.
>>
>>33336266
>not enjoying Eastwoodkino
>>
>>33334226
Das Boot.

And any movie made by Schoendoerffer. 317th Platoon and The Honor of a Captain are GOAT.
>>
File: Uneasy US Army Officer.png (1MB, 1305x554px) Image search: [Google]
Uneasy US Army Officer.png
1MB, 1305x554px
>>33335316
From a strategic and tactical standpoint, what exactly did he do wrong?
>>
File: dont get off the boat.jpg (167KB, 750x968px) Image search: [Google]
dont get off the boat.jpg
167KB, 750x968px
>>33336100
>Apocalypse Now

I don't know about you guys but that movie captured that surreal "Holy Shit this is actually happening to me" feeling you get when on deployment just perfectly.
>>
>>33334234
You have shit taste.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.