[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oh boy, let's talk about this movie again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: lone-survivor-1920.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lone-survivor-1920.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Am I the only one who strongly suspects that what really happened with the 'Lone Survivor' mission is that the SEAL team fucked up and forgot to update to the new week's radio encryption before heading out?

It's the only thing that seems to make sense. The presented story of tying up the kid and all that is nonsense, and the idea that radios just stop working for no reason is kind of a copout that treats electronic equipment like magic.

Forgetting to update radio crypts is a simple mistake and I've seen guys here and there forget it. A SEAL team on a high op tempo might have all 4 guys forget it was changeover day, and the eventual radio connection might have been some bright guy in the TOC trying to use old crypto to connect with the SEALs when he realized what happened. The public nonsense story is presented because nobody in the military wants to admit that SEALs who died in combat fucked up a routine thing.
>>
Am I the only one who found the gratuitous tumbling down the hill scenes kinda comedic? They reminded me of that scene in Hot Rod
>>
>>33331064
The first time was one thing but I tuned in halfway through and thought I was watching a Loaded Weapon movie.
>>
>>33330945
You've never operated a military radio, have you? They actually do suck balls.
>>
>>33330945
The goat farmer thing is plausible. I mean, after all it's kinda what happened to those Bravo Two Zero SAS guys. Their whole mission fucked becausw of some goat herder stumbling upon them and alerting nearby enemy
>>
>>33331123
And also because of how shitty their Magellan gps was
>>
>>33331123
Except in the bravo Two Zero mission, the team couldn't have called for immediate extraction by helicopter.

In the LS mission the idea the "either kill the locals or let them go" were the only two options is an absurd false dilemma. Even accepting that the radios weren't working witout being at the very top of the mountain, the option to tie them up and march them up the mountain until you can talk to your helicopter extraction, and then at that point let them go is like a go-to option. Troops capture and marched Afghans all over the place and it would be a shock if the SEALs didn't have experience with it.

>>33331088
Never had one fail. Used a whip antenna, kept the batteries rolling, and always had the right encryption.
>>
>>33330945
>Am I the only one

no

they also fucked up a half dozen other ways

the book is a lie and the movie is a bigger lie
>>
>>33330945
The real story of what happened was they flew in too close despite commanding officers telling them otherwise. The Taliban saw them, 20 or so Taliban ambushed, killing 3 of them almost immediately. Then the last one rolled down a cliff and met the villager who took him in. The end, there was no end fight. The Taliban didn't have the numbers to take the village.

On the issue of the goat herders finding them. It never happened. First off all, why didn't they just take them with them. Why only kill or let go? Just take them with you up on the mountain. Even though it was not what happened it still would have been their fault for letting them go.
>>
File: 1468892228549.jpg (62KB, 600x705px) Image search: [Google]
1468892228549.jpg
62KB, 600x705px
>>33331123
Moral of the story - don't leave witnesses.
>>
>>33333926
>implying that would have made the slightest bit of difference, even if the story were true (it isn't)

real moral of the story, don't fly into a valley where so everyone can hear you coming. also don't be an edgy faggot.
>>
>>33333926
>just murder civilians bro, you're gonna be fine
>>
>>33330945
RUB SUM DURT IN DAT GUNSHOT WOOND, IT B OKAY!
>>
>>33331250
Youre exactly right, taking them with them would be the best option.
>>
>>33331123
Didn't similar thing also happened to Delta team? When they had an emergency landing in desert really close to the highway? And then tried to shoot down the passing by truck, lmao
>>
>>33330945
I think they fucked the encryption too. Ive been deployed twice and was a backup RO. You just don't not get reception.

Also, read the book. If you think Marines can be obnoxious, Markus Lattrell is up his own ass when he talks about Navy Seals.
>>
>>33334006
Seems to work for the US Govt in most cases
>>
>secret ops team deep close to taliban hideout
>"NUH-UH! WE CANT KILL A KID THAT NOBODY WILL CARE ABOUT BECAUSE THEN WE WILL GET BAD PRESS WORLDWIDE THAT A SPECOPS GROUP KILLED A KID NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT! THIS WILL DESTROY THE US! BETTER LET THE MILLION DOLLAR HIGH PRIORITY MISSION FUCK ITSELF INSTEAD OF MAINTAINING STEALTH AND KILLING A TALIBAN-FRIENDLY KID!"
>>
>>33331123
>it's kinda what happened to those Bravo Two Zero SAS guys. Their whole mission fucked becausw of some goat herder stumbling upon them and alerting nearby enemy
That entire thing didn't happen
>>
>>33330945
Kek, another fuckup to add to the list

>jacking the mission instead of just giving the murreens nightime helo support like they asked for
>not pre-arranging fires for SHTF even though Army 105s were within range and an Apache was available
>not taking more powerful comms
>forgetting to update crypto
>inserting a mile from the target location with direct line of sight to it in a loud helicopter instead of hiking in from 20k like the Marines planned

did I miss any?
>>
Is it normal for an RSTA team going into enemy territory to NOT have a SAW or another automatic weapon?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.