[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military alternative to prison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: military.jpg (358KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
military.jpg
358KB, 1000x667px
Why doesn't the US practice this anymore?

Since criminal individuals are going to be welfare subjects anyways, why don't we at least use them for our military needs?

There are 2,220,300 individuals in prison in the US. In addition, there are 4,751,400 individuals on parole or probation. These individuals could serve in our military, do their time, and we could limit the employment cost of the military.
>>
There is no shortage of willing applicants that aren't felons. It isn't 2004 anymore, we can afford to be selective.
Besides that:
>giving guns to your criminal elements
Leland yee pls
>>
>>33325580
Not to mention a lot of prisoners are too retarded, antisocial, or lazy for military use. Now if we want to use them for industrial labor under supervision maybe but fuck giving them actual training and tactics
>>
>>33325666
>industrial labor
>those trips
What sort of "industrial labor" Satan?
>>
>>33325559
Because people would think slavery or something
It might work if they're on death row
>>
>>33325580
>we can afford to be selective

okay, but we could use prison subjects as our military personnel to reduce our cost. they wouldn't even have to be in combat roles.

it seems like an easy way to reduce the cost of our military.
>>
>>33325559
It's a fucking retarted idea. We already have enough fuck ups, we don't need anymore.
Would you want a convicted felon working on a 32 million dollar plane?
>>
>>33325559
>Why doesn't the US practice this anymore?
Ive wondered this also. many when given an opportunity to redeem themselves will choose the right path. no hard statistic's on the numbers, but plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that this works.
my best guess as to why this is no longer used is the sharp increase in the number of lawyers advising against greater liability by taking a chance on those types of individuals.
>>
>>33325841
>We already have enough fuck ups, we don't need anymore.

with no way to redeem myself, what incentive do i have to even try...guess i'll stay a fuck up forever...it wont be my dollar paying for it.
>>
>>33325841
just make them the cooks, janitors, and other routine easy shit. they don't have to be anything of importance but just including them as easy robotic jobs would bring down the cost.
>>
>>33325559
>giving criminals rifles and training and magically hoping they behave
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>33325678
Sewing uniforms, assembling equipment, loading ammunition (not in weapons and followed by a search) road maintenance and paving, field maintenance (including crop harvesting to supplement dining facilities) kitchen work, asbestos removal, basically shit details till the sentence is up
>>
>>33325841
>it's a fucking retarded idea
>fucking retarted
>retarted
>>
>>33325841
They won't be flying for the chairforce, they'll be getting shot for the marines.
>>
>>33325698
Give them a 20% off sentence duration as a voluntary program and see what you get
>>
they still offer it to straighten out problem children. Juvenile delinquents get offered patrolman dudebro dropping charges if they enlist all the time.
>>
>>33325944
exactly! our prisoners could be doing so much more and in many ways it would reduce the cost of the government. the upkeep alone of providing for prisoners is enormous, it only makes sense that we do everything possible to minimize their expenses on society.
>>
>>33325559
The only way you can run a proper penal legion without mutiny 24/7 is to strap explosive collars on every single one of their necks and obsessively monitor them. AI may be necessary for the latter job because you want that collar to explode BEFORE a mindbroken man shoots a friendly.
>>
>>33325559
Because nobody wants to serve alongside felons and any manual-labor punishment detail they could do in the military society would be better served by them doing in the civilian sector.

One of the reasons farm prisons are becoming popular again.
>>
>>33325980
More common in the south even if it is supposed to not be allowed if not illegal. Either way ended up with a crackhead from Louisiana who probably wasn't too bright before freebasing. Waivers are a motherfucker
>>
>>33326008
Best argument against and I do agree with your points but I still like the idea of getting contractors to fuck off as much as possible. Farm prisons are perfect though especially if illegal migrants fuck off
>>
>>33325942
>What could possibly go wrong?
why ever take a chance on ANYTHING because it may go wrong?
you sound like a real safe person.
>>
>>33325942
wars are inherently dangerous business.
those who do good tend to be risk takers.
>>
>>33326096
Ever wonder how the mexican cartels got skilled enough to continually fuck up their own government? The surge in Iraq had a bit to do with it. While the deployed cartel gunman got the most experience even the boots that did basic and infantry deserted and border hopped with a fuckton of skills. Blt sure how bad it is now but ot was still going on in 2010
>>
>>33325559
it ain't the days of handing a penal soldier an old musket and herding them to the front of the line OP.

The fact that we have to even remotely explain to you why this is a bad idea in a military primarily focused on counterinsurgency ops in civilian areas shows that you really have no idea what you're suggesting. We have enough problems with rapes and murders just with average troops, bringing excons in would be a nightmare.

>captcha: Stop main

even captcha agrees it's a bad idea
>>
I was firmly of the belief that this was the sort of thing done in television dramas, not in real life.
>>
>>33325955
We really don't need any bullet sponges right now. There isn't any major conflict at the moment.
>>
>>33325906
Off themselves. Not my fault they failed at life.
>>
>>33325723
>giving somebody with a felony theft conviction relatively unsupervised access to millions of dollars worth of materiel.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Wanna cut costs? Turn green suit jobs into contractors. No life insurance, no health insurance, no tax-exempt allowances for housing and subsistence.

Cooks go away, all they do is boil water and watch hot pockets bake. That can be turned into a company level task for field chow.
>>
>>33325925
We already have people doing those jobs. You know what happens when you fuck up or are an E-1 through E-4, you sweep and do janitor work.
>>
>>33325559
The blackies would just turn around and join ISIS.
>>
>>33325559
>it's bad enough doing 8 hours community service alongside terminal fuckups, why not 4 years?
>>
>>33326242
we are not talking some entitlement program for poor dindu's. not giving them anything other than the chance for redemption.will probably be the hardest thing they ever do in their life. if they succeed they will have truly deserved it, and if not....
>>
>>33325942
never watched the dirty dozen, anon?
>>
File: telly.jpg (26KB, 462x377px) Image search: [Google]
telly.jpg
26KB, 462x377px
>>33326801
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?
>>
File: Enlisted2.jpg (51KB, 533x692px) Image search: [Google]
Enlisted2.jpg
51KB, 533x692px
Daily reminder that the military is statistically better educated, from more secure backgrounds, and in better standing with the law than the average American citizen.

It's actually a bit of a shame that the military can't do more to help eager young people get a good start on life. I know it's the Marine Corps and not the Job Corps but it can also be a powerful tool for national unity.
>>
My grandpa was forced to enlist after WWII because they caught him stealing cars. He continued committing crimes, scamming people, selling drugs and hookers, etc, while he was in Japan and Korea and practically until the day he died in '93.
>>
File: goddamndude.jpg (13KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
goddamndude.jpg
13KB, 500x314px
>>33325559
>Fill the military full of criminals that would rather do anything else and have tax payers pay for them to be better at killing people.
>>
lel we tried this in the 70s.

There were race riots and no go areas on base after that...
>>
>>33326863
yeah maggot was a hopeless case, but most fought(and died) with honor.
>>
File: garyjohnsn.jpg (109KB, 1160x930px) Image search: [Google]
garyjohnsn.jpg
109KB, 1160x930px
Most people in prison are there for drug charges. Drug charges DQ you from military service, student aid, and buying guns. The easiest solution to this would be to legalize marijuana.
>>
>My feeling when being discharged for dui and failing marriage with cheating wife. Getting discharged for off post shit. Literal felons with ms-13 tats new grunts in infantry bat. circa 2010.

Yeah there is a surplus of goodie twoshoes that want in mil.
>>
>>33325559
I knew a bunch of guys that were given that choice and joined the Corps. Our boot guidon was up on armed robbery charges and the judge gave him the option to join the Corps. The Corps made decent Marines out of them, too. Win win.
>>
>>33326894
2 year mandatory service required for citizenship GO
>>
>>33325559
because this shit is straight retarded. It's already hard enough to field a competent army using what we get from combing highschools for the poor, unmotivated, stupid, and generally lackluster (rare individuals aside) people who tend to join. Now you want to add socially and mentally deviant. Our soldier training already amps the natural aggression, now apply that to a sociopath with no impulse control and hand him an AR, see how long it takes for that to get out of hand.
>>
>>33327511
Bet he wasn't white .
>>
File: 1452058745734.jpg (74KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
1452058745734.jpg
74KB, 1032x774px
they go traitor , duh.
>>
>>33327083
If someone is in prison, they have a problem following the law. They'll probably have a problem following military rules too.
>>
>>33327672
doubtful bro. we used them in ww2, vietnam and the korean war.
>>
>>33326975
seriously? are there articles or news websites that describe this part of history?

it sounds interesting
>>
>>33325944
>buy PTs from PX
>seams don't line up, fits like shit
>look inside
>manufactured by US Prison Industries
No. We need to stop letting them make shit. They fuck up everything they touch.
Just stop arresting people for dumb shit.
>>
>>33325559
The US has never done that. The closest thing was using several international gangs as spies and saboteurs during WWII, since gangs, like the Italian Mafia, had previous smuggling and covert experience.
>>
>>33325559

We have no situations where we want to send undesirables with guns at a target.
>>
>>33325955
>they'll be getting shot for the marines.
Anon... Marines go to prison not come from there...
>>
>>33325559
>employment cost of the military
essentially meaningless
>There are 2,220,300 individuals in prison in the US. In addition, there are 4,751,400 individuals on parole or probation.
How can anyone look at those figures and not immediately understand that this is a problem that isn't ever meant to be solved? The prison population as a percentage of the total population will only continue to increase.
>>
>>33325559
When we lowered standards for the Surge it created a ton of problems both in the military and with ex-mil with criminal ties fucking shit up in the civilian world.
This would get worse if we just forced convicts into militia military roles.
Nevermind the fact that prisons are massively profitable already due to being the only form of constitutionally-allowed slave labor.
>>
"It's jail or the Army" ruined the US army during the Vietnam era.
>>
>Why doesn't the US practice this anymore?

Because criminals are undisciplined unprofessional pieces of shit.

You are confirmed troll or despicably ignorant and naive about how war works. You don't deserve a civil reply. I hope ex-cons throatfuck those you love before your eyes then blind you so the last thing your dumb ass sees is burned into the wreckage of your mind for the rest of your days.
>>
>>33325559
I grew up with a couple guys (redneck backwoods trailer trash) who got into some trouble when one was 18 and still in high school and the other was 19 and fresh out. Drunken property crimes shit (stole schoolbuses and wrecked them)
They were given the choice between the Marines and jail.
One was a POG who fixed jets, he got married and seems like he's doing ok.
The other went infantry and lost a leg.
>>
>>33329606
Good book, and for conscriptionfags, it was much, much, much worse during the draft era:

https://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/Vietnam/heinl.html
>>
>>33326801
If you read the book Deserters the Dirty Dozen has many elements of truth, which is why the (often WWII veteran) audience when it came out made it a hit.
>>
>>33327861
A lot of them fucked off and ran away during those wars. Black marketing in WWII was so massive that armed guards had to protect supply convoys in friendly areas from thieves and deserters!

We don't need garbage in the military. Our effective Volunteer Force is better than it's ever been. Don't let propaganda fool you. History is your friend.
>>
Or we could end the war on drugs and reduce the prison population exponentially without having to give people a choice.
>>
>>33325559
Because the military isn't is effective at breaking down and reconstructing people anymore.

It's a softer gentler armed force.

Also we don't really need canon fodder right now.
>>
>>33329855
Why would we ever do that when there's money to be made?

>Trump regime just rolled back regulation on private prisons while simultaneously promising to step up federal enforcement of marijuana laws
But he's totally gonna make anime real right spergs?
>>
>>33329946
Making a few people rich is how you Make America Great Again, remember?
>>
>>33325944
But anon. How will the CO increase unit morale if we make niggers do all the additional duties?
>>
>>33327534
>I'M DOING MY PART
>>
>>33325559
>Let's force our violent criminals to serve in combat, not chance they'll betray us because we forced them into a situation where they could die
>No way they'll just revert to their criminal behavior and kill each other either, or the locals around the bases we put them in
>They'll totally be motivated soldiers as well, doing a job they never signed up for, and they sure won't disobey their officers. It's not like these brain dead idiots won't refuse to cooperate
>>
>>33327534
fuck no. military service is for the uneducated and incapable.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.