[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Karambit Practicality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

I just bought pic related. MTech Karambit. I was curious as to the genuine utility of these knives. Anyone here have both a Karambit and traditional knife, and have an opinion on this? Any input appreciated.
>>
>mtech

whatever utility perceived or otherwise derived from a karambits blade shape is entirely overshadowed and invalidated by a brand that sells trash to retards
>>
File: gunknifehat.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
gunknifehat.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>m-tech

Don't. If you want a good karambit you're probably gonna spend 100+. Fox and Emerson both make good ones, I like my Fox better though

http://www.karambit.com/
>>
>>33322859
What's wrong with MTech? What does it fail to do that Emerson or Fox knives succeed at? Genuinely curious, please don't jump on me.
>>
>>33322835
Meme knife
>>
>>33322835
They make good box cutters but they won't be as versatile as a regular knife. I guess they would make for better weapons because it's a talon for people, but if you have to defend yourself with a pocket knife, something went terribly wrong already.
>>
>>33322931
airsoft tier knives
>>
well, they both cut stuff. a normal knife is easier for a normal joe to use without training in a defensive situation. considering you're probably never going to have to use either in a fight you're fine.
>>
>>33322931
Mtech just isn't a good quality knife brand aside from one or two exceptions. A fixed MTech karambit will probably be a bad karambit but won't fall apart, but a folding one might collapse on you.

>>33322835
>I was curious as to the genuine utility of these knives.
Advantages for curved blades in general:
>great at pulling cuts since the curve draws material in
>great at cutting slippery material that would otherwise slip off of an outward curving edge
>can get more edge length than a conventional knife of the same blade length

Disadvantages:
>can't stab conventionally
>bad at tasks that requires the belly of the knife (skinning, kitchen use, etc.)

The unique advantage of the karambit is the ring, which makes it hard to drop and also lets you do other things while holding the knife.

For example, if you were a Southeast Asian rice farmer, the ring allowed you to hang it from a finger while you tied the bundle of rice together without having to put it down. They ended up being used for self defense because that's what they had on them.

They became a fad because of your typical exotic oriental fetishism and also had a brief tactical fad. Basically, "operators" liked them because the ring made the knife easier to draw, harder to drop, and you could do other things like support your pistol hand while still holding onto the knife.

Then it spread to video games, where it became popular with mall ninjas and teenagers. They overhyped them, which led to people to overcompensate on shitting on them. They're kinda like the katanas of the knife world in that sense.
>>
>>33323156
they do have the straight blade karambits (is it even a karambit at that point or just a knife with a ring on one end?) for people who want both
>>
>>33323156
in taken the baddest dude with eyeliner had a karambit
>>
>>33323156
>>can't stab conventionally

Glad you're not one of those fucks who goes "hurr can't stab", that shit pisses me off. Yea it's not a straight poke but it's literally the same as stabbing with any other knife with a reverse grip
>>
>>33323180
he also knew what the hell he was doing. that's the important part.
>>
>>33323156
How likely is it to collapse on me? How would that happen? Is MTech really that bad?
>>
>>33322835
well if you use it in a knife fight its not too good. a front facing blade has many more advantages to a backward blade if you get what im saying. a reverse grip/karambit has less range in comparison to a regular front facing knife and you cant really reach out and stab/poke someone with a karambit. id say its impractical as a weapon, it only allows a certain way of fighting that is limited
>>
>>33323436
but that saying OP, it does come down to preferences
>>
>>33323355
It's the bottom of the barrel, flea market, mall ninja LARP trash brand. Even frost cutlery has better quality control.
>>
>>33323436
you can use like a normal knife when held in that orientation. you can also hold it just by the ring for a bit more range. still not as newbie friendly as a normal knife though. it's more dangerous when you have the double edge version but of course you can't put that in a folder very easily.
>>
File: karl.jpg (46KB, 373x332px) Image search: [Google]
karl.jpg
46KB, 373x332px
Are there any disadvantages in a legal sense if one were to use a karambit for self defense? I can see prosecution arguing this as an "offensive" rather than a defensive knife, or some other 'salt raifu tier bullshit.
>>
>>33323723
No more so than any knife. Most times, all knife use in self-defense is highly suspect. The prevalent mentality here is that if you end up using a knife against another person, it'll be assumed you were looking for a knife fight. You're likely to get fucked by the law anyway. Go nuts, use your situational awareness to avoid violent confrontations in the first place, and enjoy your utility knife.
>>
>>33323723
Here's a video series on a guy who used a karambit in self defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeVhba1P0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDJT8P1cwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyq-WbMz3n8&list=
>>
Milwaukee folding carpet knife
>>
File: Food Safety.jpg (75KB, 508x337px) Image search: [Google]
Food Safety.jpg
75KB, 508x337px
>Put piece of cheese/sausage/apple/meat on a flat cutting board
>Can you cut it with a Karambit? Nope, blade is bent inwards

>Put Karambit on a regular flat sharpening stone
>Can you sharpen it easly? Nope, the blade is bent inwards and will only have contact with the stone at two narrow points

>Oh wow, you can open boxes and cut ropes with it - the latter not as good because the BLADE IS FUCKING BENT INWARDS but its okay because its a KARAMBIT and it looks kewl
>>
>>33323881
dagger is meant for stabby
knife is meant for cutty
karambit is meant for slashy
>>
>>33324018
Yeah but bringing your slashy knoife to a gunfight is pointless.

You dont carry a knife for fighting - thats what guns are for, you carry a knife for everyday tasks - well unless youre a fedora-tier autist who thinks that he'll be able to

1) slash an attacker into pieces before said attacker can draw a gun

2) surive the giant buttfuck from the police that wont see the artistic slashes as some kind of deep warrior spirit but just an asshole who had fun slashing some poor urban youth to pieces
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.