[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we have this culture of veteran worship? Is it warranted?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0594.jpg (73KB, 960x940px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0594.jpg
73KB, 960x940px
Why do we have this culture of veteran worship? Is it warranted?
>>
>>33321321
As someone who came up in a household with a long tradition of military service what I was was always told was "You ain't gotta like a but better respect him if he is willing put his ass on the line for his country" Makes sense but I guess I understand how some people feel that is overdone.
>>
>>33321351
But if people feel that way why not serve themselves? I also feel like civilians don't realize the staggering amount of shitbags we have in the military as well as the noble patriotic types
>>
>>33321379
Even sparta had cobblers and potters
>>
You're on /k/ friendo, no normies here.
>>
>>33321321
>I also feel like civilians don't realize the staggering amount of shitbags we have in the military
this, there are plenty of these, just because you served doesn't mean you deserve any respect as a human being
>>
Boomers feel guilt over how they treated their generation during and after vietnam.

So from Gulf War and on, they over compensated.
>>
>>33321379
Good civilians realize and are grateful that the scum of society dies in Asia so they don't have to.
>>
>>33321379
Fair point, like I said growing up a military brat I have met as you said shitbags who think simply because they served they are god's gift to world, but also there plenty who would deploy to the bowels of hell if it was for their country. The issue distinguishing between the two.
>>
File: IMG_0595.jpg (51KB, 633x422px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
51KB, 633x422px
>>33321433
But that's the thing, it's not just the scum of society, the military IS society, or at least a cross section of it. The majority of people are just normal human beings either trying to pay for college, learn transferable job skills or just prove something to themselves and others. Then you have a few who joined because they truly believed that standing watch at a gate in Cameroon for 6 hours a day was somehow protecting our freedoms. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have morally depraved sociopaths who just wanted a chance to kill something. Just like in civilian society there are people from all walks of life with their own motivations and abilities. Some are heros, but most are just people.
>>
Cause the holocaust never happened and that generation needed to feelsgood.
>>
>>33321321
Cause the military got associated with mainline conservatism sometime after 9/11.

No, the military isn't an inherently conservative institution.
In fact it runs directly contrary to conventional conservative isolationist mindset.
>>
Gotta love when someone plays the V card.

Unless you were drafted against your will, you made the conscious decision to join the military. I don't owe you anymore respect than you me. That's always been my thoughts on it.
>>
>>33321321
I have no respect for people who have served in any armed forces in the past 10 years.

The US isn't under attack
We are killing sand people with 200 million dollar jets

If we had a legit enemy and vets helped acually preserve our country, then they'd get my respect
>>
Yet this board venerates "operators." Some of us just wanted to sacrifice, and yes, live at the edge of what society currently consider acceptable. Could care less about protecting the cucks at home, but want to preserve the history of a warrior class when most of you will never volunteer, let alone make it through team week/ see a MK18/MP7.
>>
And yes, some of the community are aware of /k/, as kind of an "in" joke. Like /u/don__karnage on reddit, but less are willing to contribute, obviously.
>>
>>33321818
>in the last 10 years
Well al-Qaeda did attack us several times (Embassy bombings, USS Cole, WTC twice). The War on Terror was meant to be preventative by paralizing terror cells and neutralizing them before they could strike. It's been successful in doing that but has had its share of blunders as well
>>
>>33321827
But this superiority complex is the problem. People volunteer for a combat MOS and immediately start thinking they're better than civilians and even other service members. Fast forward ten years and they're anti-social alcoholics wearing Oaklys and Grunt Style t-shirts while shit talking everyone within earshot. You're not better than everyone. No one cares about how much being a grunt sucked. Stop talking about ruck marches and field days because no one cares. You volunteered for it and you're entitled to bitch about it if you want but if you make a habit of it then assimilating back into the world as a functional adult is gonna be a bitch
>>
>>33321621
try Ronald Reagan
>>
>>33321818
Lol, I agree we are not fighting some big army in symmetrical warfare but if you think that means they don't deserve any respect you are a fucking chode. Legit enemy my ass.
>>
File: IMG_3247.jpg (99KB, 502x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3247.jpg
99KB, 502x960px
>>33321907
>>
>>33321431
this TBQH
>>
>>33321847
Have you ever heard the term "quiet professional?" The only reason I'm posting here is that I find it hilarious, in my own way, and an old bro of mine mentioned it to me. I doubt most here could run a 12;30 even in high school. And that's what SOF is, a constant competition to be the best. Even among friends. Moreso than the peltors and gear, which most of us could give a shit about.

And when I (and many bros) retire, we won't be wearing grunt style. Either Brooks Brothers for those who choose to be recruited by financial interests, or Carhharts for guys like me who retire to their own property to shoot all day. None of us will be wage-slaves. The market for decent PMC work is pretty much over, but it doesn't matter in the long run.
>>
>>33321847
The USA has lost about 3,000 people to terrorism in the past 40 years.

We lose about 600,000 people a year to heart attacks.

Out country isn't being about to be invaded by Germans or Japs man.
>>
File: IMG_0596.jpg (43KB, 324x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0596.jpg
43KB, 324x502px
>>33322062
>quiet professional
Whats that?
>>
>>33322288
Haha, it's a longstanding joke that SEALs have book deals lined up before they finish training. The title. "Quiet Professional" is ascribed to a specific community.
>>
>>33322062
>none of us will be wage slaves

Nigga what do you think the military is
>>
>>33322062
Just to be clear, those in the special warfare community are obviously highly skilled and preform tasks that most people couldn't by holding themselves to the highest physical and technical standards. However I don't think this alone automatically entitles them to anything other than the respect that should be accorded to everyone who chooses to follow an arduous path in life. What annoys me is veteran worship, shit like strangers coming up to you and thanking you for your service and offering to buy you a $2.50 cup of coffee so they can feel good about themselves. Like bitch, you don't know me. I could have never been deployed and they wouldn't know the difference between me and a MOH recipient. That's the problem with veteran worship, it devalues the service of true heros by assuming that everone who serves does so heroically
>>
>>33321379
Because most people don't like increasing their chances of being shot at.
>>
>>33322337

>Nigga what do you think the military is

A means to an end? Most could care less about the hero worship by autistics who can't couldn't get laid if they wanted to. It's honestly creeping me out. I'm done.
>>
File: 735834.jpg (216KB, 761x896px) Image search: [Google]
735834.jpg
216KB, 761x896px
>>33321321
You got to ask yourself. Do all veterans want to be worshiped?
>>
>>33321847
>Well al-Qaeda did attack us several times (Embassy bombings, USS Cole, WTC twice).

Those were failures of duty, and if you said they were reasons of valor than you can just kill yourself.
>>
>>33321321

As someone who just got out no. More than 90% of the military is noncombat related jobs and a good number will not deploy. Nothing heroic about doing a desk job just because you are in the marines. Hell even if you are in the infantry you're not necessarily a hero but more likely to be put into heroic situations ...or rake rocks. Yeah yeah all this bs of someone putting their ass on the line ...well they ain't doing it for free and they are more than fairly compensated in most cases.
>>
>>33321321
>Why do we have this culture of veteran worship?

Smaller military with less interaction with general community, plus Vietnam guilt, plus George W Bush jingoism.

>Is it warranted?
Yes and no. In general, I think vets seem to prefer to be treated as normal people with some interesting stories.
>>
>>33321818
Edgy
>>
File: IMG_0597.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0597.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>33322605
>>
>>33322499
If you go into a non combat related MOS you'll be as likely to get shot at as if you had stayed home and done a similar civilian job
>>
>>33321621
Conservatism stopped being isolationist 40 years ago senpai
>>
>>33321414
/k/ is the normiest of all boards.
>>
>>33321321
Counterpoint: the US benefits from there being some level of prestige associated with military service because it opens the possibility of attracting some decent people to it. Contrast with places like China where the tradition was "you don't make nails with good iron."
>>
>>33321321
Because its easy to say support the troops than unfuck the VA.
>>
>>33321593
Go be a retard on /pol/
>>
>>33321907
Grunt Style does make cool shirts though
>>
>>33321321
It's overcompensation for Vietnam. The vets came back from Vietnam to protests and being spit on, being called baby-killer. So now people go the other way with this "thank you for your service" bullshit. .
>>
>>33321321
I forget who created it, but this culture was created by someone working for the feds so they would have a way to keep recruiting soldiers willingly.
>>
>>33326620
This process was started before 'nam iirc.
>>
>>33326824
Good thing he did, or else you'd be like Canada, with not enough recruits to replace the retirees.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.