[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

steel ammo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: 4c.jpg (110KB, 1000x590px) Image search: [Google]
4c.jpg
110KB, 1000x590px
i bought a 1,000rd case of this at $0.16 each did I do good /k/?

will it make my glock stinky?
>>
Steel case prices are dropping dramatically.

I bought 1000 rounds of mil spec wolf x39 for 23 cents a round shipped.
>>
>>33317766
I heard it's alright to run it though a glock. I wouldn't trust it in an expenive gun though.
>>
>>33317766
>will it make my glock stinky?
Your glock already stinks, you poorfag.
>>
You'll probably get light primer strikes from it, gives you a chance to tap-rack-bangs drills though.
>>
>>33317766

I got 1000 tula 9mm for $70, and it runs perfectly fine in my 92S. Not a single misfire or dud.
>>
File: 1486250941908.jpg (58KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
1486250941908.jpg
58KB, 640x512px
So what are the pros cons between brass and steel case?
>>
>>33318196
Steel is cheap as shit, brass is better in every other way.
>>
>>33318196
They almost always tend to run dirtier, can't reload, and tend to be rougher on parts like the extractor. Some guns like cheap AR's can't run it, so test a couple boxes before you buy bulk.
>>
>>33317971
Where?
>>
>>33317766
I just bough 500 rounds of the shit and it's loaded so lightly it won't cycle my pistol. Over 1000K rounds without a single problem (including Tula) until this shitty lot of Wolf. I've had good luck with Wolf in the past, but I'm not happy atm.
>>
>>33317766
I buy Silver Bear (Barnaul) steel case. Good stuff.
>>
>>33317799
>>33317971
where are these deals
>>
>>33318196

Some ranges don't allow steel case because they collect the brass and don't want to have to sort it out
>>
>>33319590
>just use magnets to pick up casings
>>
>>33318196
Brass expands slightly when fired and forms a better seal to direct gasses forward and contracts after cooling off.
Brass can be reloaded.
Brass is soft so brass movement against steel parts is unlikely to damage the steel.
Brass is more expensive.

Steel doesn't expand during firing so won't form as tight a seal, meaning more gases and residue escape and dirty up your weapon.
Steel can't be reloaded.
Steel on steel contact can damage your parts. Steel ammo is usually coated in a lacquer to prevent aforementioned damage. However, the lacquer can melt when hot (very hot) and it will gum up your weapon terribly if that happens.
Steel is slightly lighter.
Steel is cheaper.
Some ranges don't allow steel ammo because they're brass jews.

Aluminum is similar to steel, except even lighter and not quite as cheap. You also can't pick up aluminum casings with a magnet.
>>
>>33317766
No it won't hurt your pistol.
But what 1000rds can do is help you on your way to being a proficient pistol shooter. don't waste it shooting rocks and dirt, or pointlessly aiming target shooting. Do drills, make every shot count. Every round downrange is experience. Treat it as training. It'll be well worth the $170
>>
>>33319724
I should also mention:

Commie weapons are designed to accept steel by design. Western weapons are designed to take brass. But both can take both.

Aluminum won't scratch steel, but most aluminum casings have a (thinner than steel casings) lacquer coating anyway.
>>
>>33319724
thanks for the info
>>
>>33319724
Aluminum also won't damage any part of your gun. It's not coated in anything.
>>
>>33319590
99% of the time their indoor ranges, and no it's because steel case has bimetal jacket.
>>
>>33320108
Oh I thought they were lacquered. But if not then you're right.
>>
Steel won't damage extractors, that's a meme. The steel in your gun is *usually* higher quality than what the casings are made of. And tool quality steel extractors won't be hurt by running steel casings. What causes FTF/FTE is like what was said, the steel doesn't expand enough to create that seal to block gas and debris from entering the chamber, causing the buildup of bullshit that gums your rifle. Even the laquer coatings are usually of a high temperature lacquer that shouldn't melt off.

If you're gonna run a case of steel, just keep a cleaning rod to shove in that bitch every couple hundred rounds and you should be good.
>>
>>33319419
>>33319554

Gunbroker and some luck. You can get absurdly good deals at times, especially on items like 9mm and x39. I've found that you can often get a great deal on an auction that starts low and has little competition because it's buried in a sea of similar offerings. When there's 5000+ 9mm listing, people will rarely touch one that's that's on page 30 out of 50 because they never look that far.
>>
>>33321218
This.

Found boxes of 200 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor (Hornady American Whitetail, whatever) for like $60 on the farthest pages.
>>
>>33319628
Why....they will just turn to rust in the mud
>>
>>33319724
>Steel can't be reloaded
It can but not worth the effort
>Steel on steel contact can damage your parts. Steel ammo is usually coated in a lacquer to prevent aforementioned damage. However, the lacquer can melt when hot (very hot) and it will gum up your weapon terribly if that happens
Fudlore. Please stop spreading miss information that has already been proven false. You basically need a blowtorch directly on the lacquer to melt it off. Your semi auto pistol or rifle will never get this hot. Also the steel used for ammo is very soft and will not damage your firearm, although the mild steel jacketed bullets used on most steel case ammo will cause more wear on your barrel than copper jacketed bullets. But even then unless your doing high volume shooting all the time the difference is not going to be noticeable.
>>
>>33321808
To be as autistically precise about the lacquer subject as possible, Steel cased rounds used to be lacquered but now have a high temp polymer film, which as you said needs a blowtorch to get off. This means your round would cook off long before the coating does. However, the older lacquered rounds did bleed off gunk into a hot weapon, thus the common lore is not so much wrong as outdated. The polymer coating has not completely phased out lacquer either as a few brands like Monarch still use it, but wolf and tula are all polymer coated now.
>>
>>33317766
Whats all this fudd teir shit about lacquer melting!?!?!? that shit doesnt melt at normal firearm temps. tests have been done and unless you heat your firearms/rounds up with a blow torch any lacquer wont melt and gum up your firearm. Steel rounds merely cause slightly greater wear on your barrel and MAYBE extractor over time. with higher velocity ammo(5.56) the decrease in overall barrel life ALMOST equals the savings youd keep from firing steel case instead of brass. Since handgun rounds are lower velocity you'd expect the slightly harder round to have less of an effect on barrel life. Shit handgun ammo aint no big deal, all it does is give you more practice clearing failures which is a good thing.
>>
I just bought brass at 17c/round, if you count the rebate that I will send. Ya dun goof'd.
>>
>>33320108
>>33319724
So is aluminum a slightly better option than steel in terms of mitigating parts wear? I am speaking in terms of 5.56 ammo, and am wondering if aluminum cased 5.56 even exists...

>>33321150
>>33321808
I've got a question: I shoot 100% American Eagle XM193. I've left my AR uncleaned for 2 months with 300+ rounds down the barrel. Just yesterday I loaded it up in freezing temps and had zero malfunctions over another 100 rounds. Could I expect that reliability out of steelcase? Why would my AR struggle with steel if it does so well with brass?
>>
>>33322374
Reliability has a lot to do with the weapon but also the ammo. With the ammo you are currently shooting I would have no doubt it will continue to run with no cleaning for a while so long as it is properly lubricated. With cheaper steel case ammo I would be a little less comfortable because it is dirtier but wouldn't worry too much. I don't really like cleaning my guns but it's obviously something that has to be done. With my AKs I obviously shoot nothing but cheap steel case but have never had a problem with the ammo. The most I've gone without cleaning my AKs is about 1500 RDS with no malfunctions. I wasn't testing or anything I just fucking refuse to clean it every fucking time I shoot. Sure it's a good habit but not necessary.A good AR will shoot both steel and brass just fine. If it struggles to shoot steel then you have a shitty AR.
>>
>>33322087
>To be as autistically precise
You are being autistically ignorant. Show us the proof of this lacquer melting. Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>33322374
Aluminum case 5.56 doesn't exist that I can tell. Maybe the case pressure is too high? I don't know enough about loading to comment on it for sure.
>>
>>33322374
Honestly the time frame that you've left your rifle dirty is a little long but 300 rounds is nothing. Absolutely nothing. You wouldn't be able to actually say you own a reliable rifle with only 300 rounds especially if thats over two months. Do you know how cheap an extractor is? Do you know how to swap one? Maybe you should shoot your fucking lego rifle until something breaks and upgrade it and learn a little something on the way.
I bought a looked down upon bushmaster carbon 15 four years ago and shot only brass and babied it. Didn't shoot it much thought ar's were stupid and sensitive. I don't know if you remember the fiasco with sgammo and golden tiger 5.56 but that was the first time I bought that much ammo in bulk, 2,000 rounds for the price of 1k I shoulda bought more. Bought a $10 enhanced firing pin and a $5 wolf extra power hammer spring. So far after 3,000 + steel cased rounds guess who has never had a fucking problem or malfunction and loves shooting his ar now, this fucking guy. I rest easy knowing my rifle will shoot any bullshit ammo I throw Into it, its awesome. If your ar isnt reliable your ar isn't reliable dont blame the ammo. I haven't even fucked with the extractor and I have a pencil barrel. Your ar should be fine.

P.s. I go through close to 400 rounds each range session every other week, $100 for 500 steel cased rounds sometimes shipped if you get a coupon code off slickguns or come up on gunbroker. I just work out more which necessitates me drinking less and I'm single so bamm, extra money. $50from each paycheck, not that hard.
>>
>>33322708
Good info, thanks man. This raises the questions:

Should it ever be problematic to switch back & forth between brass and steel?

And I understand that steel is dirtier because it allows more gas back into the chamber, but is it substantially harder to clean? And does leaving it dirty for extended sessions/periods damage your weapon?
>>
>>33322087
Monarch is the Academy Sports house brand, it's just re-branded PPU and Tula.
>>
Marry, kill, fuck:
>Wolf
>Brown Bear
>Tula
>>
>>33325433

>Wolf Marry
>Brown Bear fuck
>Tula kill
>>
>>33323726
>400 rounds each range session every other week
same. can't stand fuddfags at the range commenting on how I "afford" ammo or recommend some shitty 22lrs for blasting. Just don't buy dumb shit. people buy $20-30 chink garbage multiple times a week or $10 worth of faggot drinks from starbucks daily but suddenly ammo is expensive? Fuck off desu.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.