[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the reason why no one takes the Katana seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 16

File: katana-004.jpg (79KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
katana-004.jpg
79KB, 1600x900px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPaVjJxNXvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPYfYsKYnHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtLHxN_YdXg

Would be cool to see some convicted criminals from the death row being given a katana too and see if this clown can really do those things.
>>
File: 1483216736918.gif (2MB, 624x335px)
1483216736918.gif
2MB, 624x335px
>>33314318
>Two katanas
It'd be a katana and a wakazashi.

And I'd say to an extent, yeah.
Cringey scrawny or obese white dudes acting like they're amazing is what makes the weapon itself cringey

To be honest I love it and think it compares to European blades but fills a different niche.
>>
Katanas are cool again because fedoras now like zombie swords
>>
>>33314333
Wouldn't a cutlass be more practical?
>>
File: it's tape.png (26KB, 633x623px) Image search: [Google]
it's tape.png
26KB, 633x623px
This is why nobody takes the Katana seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34
>>
Because of this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM
>>
katanas have been memed and fedora'd for decades, theres no turning back
>>
File: Da Samurai.jpg (43KB, 600x321px) Image search: [Google]
Da Samurai.jpg
43KB, 600x321px
>>33314318
Katanas were the corny useless weapon used in action movies of the 80s.
People who never got the message, like people who run around thinking they're cowboys with non-repeating revolvers, people who fetishize UZI,... are the laughing stock of the world and not much else.

There's also the armchair experts who have godlike power to come up with the most ridiculous of shit like that they know fuck all about Japanese culture and how important katana (literally plain fucking 'sword' in Japanese) was and is to the people there.
>>
File: 1463786873708.png (331KB, 635x457px) Image search: [Google]
1463786873708.png
331KB, 635x457px
>>33315172
>like people who run around thinking they're cowboys with non-repeating revolvers, people who fetishize UZI,... are the laughing stock of the world and not much else.

Did a jew and a SASS shooter DP your girlfriend? cause it sounds like a Jew and a SASS shooter DP'd your girlfriend.
>>
>>33314641
Yes but only in areas where gun control is retarded but swords in homes are fine
>>
>>33314781
Some autistic spent 300$ on a wall hanger...
>>
>>33315363
the practical XL katana isn't a wall hanger.
>>
File: Rhinelander and Raptor 1 (2).jpg (408KB, 1842x831px) Image search: [Google]
Rhinelander and Raptor 1 (2).jpg
408KB, 1842x831px
>>33314318
I like the Katana, but people don't like them that much online because too many autistic 12 year old's, who have never held a sword before and watch to much anime, won't shut the fuck up about how magical they are, and how they can cut through a tank.

And then they use bull shit like this to completely base their entire understanding of historical swords on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo&t=110s
>>
File: 1487628586162.jpg (19KB, 478x571px) Image search: [Google]
1487628586162.jpg
19KB, 478x571px
>>33315172
>non-repeating revolver
>non-repeating
>revolver

There should be a proof of hasgunz requirement to post here.
>>
File: How'd ya get these scars.jpg (93KB, 592x591px) Image search: [Google]
How'd ya get these scars.jpg
93KB, 592x591px
>>33317522
Oh so you want a gun registry do you?

Nice try Obama, not in Trumps America
>>
>>33314781
Holy shit I work with a guy who has this same retarded expression. He has these giant lips and just stares off into space like Puddy from Seinfeld.

Only thing that is frightening is that the guy I work with was in the military.
>>
Fat autistic weeb stigma
>>
>>33317835
Well videos like this don't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM
>>
>>33314641
>cutlasses
I like you, Matt, but you should really go with some spudruuns
>>
>>33315221
You've never met the "I have a 9mm/ or 357 because" then "any round that could have any sort of advantage is a waste of money because even though it's better, it's not a lot better" "i will loot the dead after making kills ammo compatibility is more important" kind of shooter.
>>
>>33315172
>literally plain fucking 'sword' in Japanese

you actually struck upon a huge negative of katanas. basically, whereas euro swords and knives have changed massively over time, and to suit different needs (the whole rapier to smallsword transition is a great example), the japanese have been making the same exact thing since they learned how to hit metal with a hammer.
>>
>>33320657

They're right, though.
>>
File: CGjJFCk.png (546KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CGjJFCk.png
546KB, 1920x1080px
>>33314641
If you're a fucking pirate
>>
>>33321301
No they have not. Katana underwent a process of change and evolution, especially following the invasions of the mongols for example.

Also katana can mean plan sword in Japanese, but it can also refer to the samurai's weapon.
>>
I personally prefer a Naginata over a Katana
why
because naginata sounds more cooler and is actually more practical, is basically a polearm
>>
File: TAPE.png (50KB, 174x279px) Image search: [Google]
TAPE.png
50KB, 174x279px
>>33314781
I love this guy's videos. Pure weapons grade autism flows strongly in this family's veins.
>>
>>33314318
>machete vs katana
kek, Japs BTFOed even in combat sword
>>
>>33314781
I wonder how the ancient samurai warriors unboxed their katanas.
>>
>>33314318
The reason why no one takes katanas seriously is directly because of the reactionary opinions towards it's place it pop culture and Eastern mysticism. They were glorified by asshats, and other asshats are not reacting negatively to that glorification.

It also has a position in modern culture being romanticized by the biggest fucking losers imaginable.

It's not any better or worse than any other hand-and-a-half sword. The single-sided, curved blade combined with a piercing tip don't even really give it any unique characteristics or mechanical advantages or disadvantages compared to literally any other hand-and-a-half sword. The crafting techniques that the Japanese used to make them were neither extraordinary nor underperforming. It's literally just the best possible design iteration that Japanese swordsmiths came up with to match the specific needs of Japanese soldiers, the same as every other weapon that was ever designed until the 20th century with it's world wide wars, arms races, and rampant, unchecked consumerism.
>>
>>33314990
What kind of accent is that?
>>
File: 1489181314680.jpg (242KB, 486x849px) Image search: [Google]
1489181314680.jpg
242KB, 486x849px
>>33321881
>he thinks shtf will happen
>he thinks it'll be like obscure Ukrainian vidya gaem
>>
>>33314333
>AutisticJaxTeller.gif
>>
>>33322906
This. Both the over-gloryfication and the banter following that is just stupid. It's a curved sword meant for things that curved swords are good at.
>>
>tfw want a katana just for decoration but weebs and autists ruined them
>>
>>33323732
Society would be past this already if it wasn't for memes and the internet.

Shit posting is literally the end of humanity.
>>
>>33314318
good cutter
ok stabber
short blade for a 2 hand sword
heavy for a short blade
if bent it stays bent instead of flex
fold 1000 times is a meme feature in 2017 where good steel is abundant
>>
File: katana fags.webm (1MB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
katana fags.webm
1MB, 1280x688px
>>
>>33321881
What's right about it?
Willingly buying something inferior to other options, this is why we can't have nice things.

Looting ammo? You don't have the COD scavenger perk, I'm not even going to bother to tell you why that's a very stupid idea since you deserve a stupid prize if your plan during SHTF is killing and looting.
SHTF isn't going to happen anyway. Lawyers are going to have a fucking field day if you're looting dead people, that shit is probably going to make their week they'll be laughing about that trial forever reminiscing about the memes that get spouted.
>>
>>33323935
wow, none of the bullets hit the walls behind those katana fags

good marksmanship without even trying
>>
Yeah it really is just the meme rubbish that means nobody ever wants to be seen with one, or even near one.

>>33315172
Hey hold up. You can't just run something through google translate and take the literal meaning at face value. It might just mean "sword," but so does tsurugi. When you say katana you're still implying certain traits, so if you're actually trying to talk about swords and you just call every curved nipnong blade a katana you're doing it wrong. Works for general use, sure, but if you're in a sword thread about swords you probably shouldn't call a tachi a katana just because the word means sword.

On the plus side for collectors, this means if you wanna collect swords and shit, and have an interest in weeb swords, but don't wanna get memed on, you can just get yourself a nodachi or something and mentally distance yourself from fedora boys by telling all your friends it's not a katana (even though in casual terms it still might be).
If your entire blade collection is weeb shit though you're still a fag.

Anyway you're not wrong about nip blades being overblown corny memes but you're in here with your non-repeating revolver shit and you're,... more of a laughing stock then they are.
>>
>>33323295

Jaysus Chroist!
>>
>>33314781

>inbred and autistic
>canadian

checks out
>>
>>33322906
The katana wasn't meant to be a primary weapon though, it was a status symbol, like the western officer sabres. Samurai preferred horseback combat with polearms and archery.

And yes, fucking weebs had to ruin everything.
>>
>>33316995
>apostrophe in a pluralization
>run-on and comma splicing
>confusing "too" with a homophone
You're the true internet idiot.
>>
>>33324469
Just because it's not a primary weapon doesn't mean it was judged or that is is less effective. Also a weapon can be very efficient and a status symbol at the same time.

Primary/secondary weapons is a matter of convenience, not efficiency.
If you want to have a naginata and a banana, the only way to do it is to hold the naginata as the primary and keep the banana sheathed. If you start banana out, where will you put your 8ft long naginata exactly?

It's not a matter of preference but convenience. Plenty of swords were very highly regarded, that doesn't mean that they would be used as primary weapons because that's not what swords are for.

But yeah, fucking weebs had to ruin everything...
>>
>>33324610
How did you know my secondary weapon was a banana??
>>
>>33314333
R.I.P Katana Subway hero.
>>
>>33324921
I could tell you, but I would have to shoot you, and then eat the banana to disarm you.
But seriously raspberries are a more sensible choice of secondary weapon.
>>
>>33314333
R.i.p sibway hero. Whi died by the hands of his apprentice
>>
>>33325088
Nigga drowned.
>>
>>33323994
Well they used the Katana's greats strength against it.

You see the reason Katanas often are a match for guns is the blade actually attracts the bullets a little bit. This allows the Katana user to block and deflect bullets without have insane super human speed. These attackers know about the blades mystical properties and exploit it by carefully aiming just far enough away from the target the Katana's bullet attracting properties adjust the bullets path into a proper kill shot.

This fight was a bit unfair given the very advanced marksmanship show compared to the Katana welder who barely managed to draw their blades. A more advanced Katana welder knows how to draw and move much faster to help over come such anti-Katana tactics,making the fight much longer and more interesting.
>>
>>33314641

Depends

Katanas and similar two-handed curved swords are pretty good in that you can put lots of power behind them, so they can work well at cutting through lots of clothes/leather if you step in and really draw it in.

A cutlass and saber work better for riding where you only need one hand and the speed of the horse is doing all the work, and against no armor at all, it'd be as good as a 2 handed curved sword for all intents.

Swords, like firearms, are all used for a specific purpose, and it's hard to get one that's good at everything.
>>
File: Cuck.jpg (74KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
Cuck.jpg
74KB, 400x565px
>>33324564
Yeah, pretty bad grammar on my part there. To offer up some sort of excuse; I was pretty tired at the time. More so, I'm on 4chan so retardation is a given.

But it at lest conveys the message I was intending to put forward.
>>
>>33325339
>A cutlass work better for riding
A cutlass is a naval weapon though, not really good for riding but it's short for the close combat it's expected to see and single-handed cause on a ship you kinda want to have a hand free.
>>
>>33324469
>It wasn't a primary weapon so it must have been ceremonial
This is so fucking stupid. It's just a sidearm that's incredibly easy to carry around like almost every other sword ever made

Are handguns ceremonial firearms because your average army infantryman doesn't use one?
>>
>>33323732

The problems is that the mystique about crafting a Katana spilled over into the sword itself.

They're a marvel of historical metalworking, but they're entirely average swords, optimized for fighting light infantry. Later, they became ceremonial, just like our cavalry sabers, but the "Specialness" of the katana was preserved through B-grade media.

They're neat bits of smithing, and they'll cut leather, wood and flesh well. That's about it.
>>
>>33325362
presentation.
>>
File: Rhinelander and Raptor 2.jpg (153KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Rhinelander and Raptor 2.jpg
153KB, 720x960px
>>33326745
I don't disagree with you honestly. But it just seems like a very nit picky thing to do given the context and spirit of this thread.
>>
>>33314318
Anything the katana can do, the general purpose longsword can do better and more.
>>
>>33323740
I mean chances are if you want a katana for decoration you are a weeb/autist.

I can understand if you do kendo or a similar thing, but other than that, autist.
>>
it is basically a saber made into a hand and a half sword.

it was a side arm. probably spilled more blood of the peasants the nobles ruled over and the nobles them selves, than enemy combatants.
>>
File: Lung Cancer.jpg (124KB, 368x537px) Image search: [Google]
Lung Cancer.jpg
124KB, 368x537px
>>33314781
>Hernweh Furj Pracitcul Eleet Ketahnah
>>
File: Confederate 1840 pattern.jpg (30KB, 770x429px) Image search: [Google]
Confederate 1840 pattern.jpg
30KB, 770x429px
>>33324469
>i've never held an Infantry or Cavalry officer's saber in my life: The post

These swords continued in use all the way up into the boer war. They were not toys. They were weapons built to end a life. Being nice looking was secondary. Actually read about what you're talking about before you comment.

Especially the British and French swords. They were used frequently during the colonial expansion and revolts of the mid 1800s. Whole systems of practice were developed and put into practice. Alfred Hutton being a big one. But they were also used during the American Civil War.
>>
>>33322943
He calls it "willkeithian"
It's really just from moving all the fat around while speaking.
>>
>>33316995
>MAIL CALL
>>
>>33322858
By testing it on the nearest peasant.
>>
>>33316995
Fucking American television is the most cringe shit
>>
>>33325112
Do you think he had his katana on him when he drowned? The article on his death doesn't mention it, but what if he was dragged to the bottom by the weight of his sword(s)?
>>
>>33330172
Oh fuck it was found strapped to his boat. Disregard.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.