[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sharps Rifle Company Relia-Bolt Usefull Upgrade or Meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: ReliaBolt-4.jpg (103KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ReliaBolt-4.jpg
103KB, 750x500px
Is this thing actually useful or is it just a meme. I'm thinking about buying it to put in as the bolt on a piston driven bolt carrier I'm getting. I figure since the only real place for fouling to get in a piston gun near the receiver is the barrel extension, I might as well get a part that is designed to increase the reliability in that area.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSRRELIABOLT&name=Sharps+Rifle+Company+Relia-Bolt&groupid=8045
>>
>>33308370
If I we're going to spring for a speshul snowflake bolt I'd go for the LMT Enhanced Bolt. There's at least some verifiable engineering behind it.
>>
>>33308403
Naw. The lmt carrier is less meme than bolt. You shoud get the E3 kac.
>>
>>33308403
it also costs $120 more

>>33308425
That one is for a propriety bolt for their special rifle and is $150 more

The sharps is only $60 right now so if it is a meme at least I don't waste too much money.
>>
>>33308370
how is it better?
>>
>>33308516
It's a meme. Just buy a spare PSA premium bcg.
>>
>>33308553
Heres the product description.

>"The redesigned lugs of the Relia-Bolt™ virtually eliminate the most common MSR malfunction; the bolt to barrel extension jam. Haven’t cleaned your rifle? Is it out of time? Relia-Bolt compensates by providing a patented camming action which guides the bolt past obstructions and into battery. The rounded/tapered lugs push past carbon and debris when the square edges of traditional bolts would typically jam. Once into battery, the rear edges of the lugs fully engage the barrel extension for absolute strength and security."

Also I found a thread from 2014 talking about these bolts breaking. Apparently it was a heat treat issue and the company handled it well with a recall and free replacement with free shipping of the old bolts back to the company.
>>
>>33308842
forgot to link the thread lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/658805_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----I-broke-the-unbreakable-Sharps-Reliabolt---TWO-BROKEN-NOW--Update-Pg--5.html&page=1
>>
>>33308842
Huh. so it's rounded off to make room for dirt.
>>
>>33308370
>let's weaken the part weakest and most prone to breakage which when broken is a show stopper
no bolt is going to double the bolt MTBF
buy an extra bolt
buy extra everything consumable, really: extractor spring, hammer spring, disconnector spring, extractor, bolt rings, gas tubes, etc.
>>
>>33308904
Kinda. I think its less of a make room for dirt thing and more of a cut through the carbon gunk idea since the rounded tips are supposed to give it an easier time sliding it to battery. Like how a pointy object will go into a tube easier than a flat faced one even if they both have the same diameter.
>>
>>33308370
It sort of reminds me of the people that think it's a good idea to grind off the bolt lugs to make their AR "full auto".
>>
>>33309026
This kills the AR...
>>
>>33308370
>Removing metal from area taking the brunt of cartridge pressure.
UHHHH
>>
>>33308370
SR-15 E3 bolt is the best and worthwhile.

LMT's enhanced bolt w/ radius lug and lobster tail is better but not worth the cost. The entire BCG was designed for NSWC to increase service life (and dwell) of 10.3" guns. It got shit canned as a PIP because it didn't work on oldfag 20" m16s due to the dwell increase. Pure faggotry. Unlike shit tier sharps they also didn't cut off half the fucking bolt lug in an attempt to "clear dirt" so its also engineered competently by people who actually know how AR-15s function.

The E3 is basically a product improved LMT setup with a KAC gas system btw and the two companies are close as fuck.

Everything else, incl Sharps, is a shit/meme.
>>
>>33309386
also since I typed out that shit it's worth pointing out the relief cut surrounding the rear (piston side) of the boltface which is overlooked by 99% of people that comment on it.
>>
>>33309386
>LMT's enhanced bolt
Is there any downside to running a standard BCG in a 10.5" LMT upper? I have a 14.5" upper I share the BCG and charging handle with.
>>
>>33309066
Theoretically a rotating bolt's lock strength comes from available surface area, not just mass.
>>
>>33309437
Not really. I ran one in mine for a while and it worked just fine. If the upper was built right the gas pressures should be the same.
>>
>>33309437
>standard BCG in a 10.5" LMT upper
in short no. they addressed the reliability issues with an oring and later an extractor spring update which is why the program got killed in addition to backwards compatibility had it went forward. breaking bolts wasn't the main issue as most guns got shot out b4 then at their firing schedule. we're talking years (last decade) ago.
>>
>>33309464
Agreed, plus this bolt is supposedly built from a stronger grade of steel.
>>
>>33309386
Chris?
>>
>>33309501
Ah good. I'm glad I bought a pre-built upper from LMT, a company known for it's 10.5 upper, considering all the gas issues you can face with a short barrel. Never had a gas issues in the 4000 rounds I've put through it. I had a DD Mk18 upper and it would shoot gas into my face, even with the Gasbuster charging handle. They are overgassed to hell.
>>
I love all the noguns faggots who say they wouldn't use the sharps bolt because the first few had issues but they're totally fine with still using the ar
>>
>>33308842
>Is it out of time?

How the fuck would your barrel get out of time?
It's held aligned by the receiver
>>
The only bad thing I could say about it is that the lug design doesn't do you any favors insofar as accuracy is concerned.

That is, if the receiver extension's locking recesses aren't machined to match.
>>
>>33310021
I think the mean the bolt carrier getting out of time from wear and tear on the cam pin.
>>
>>33310045
Thats interesting, could you explain that a bit?
>>
>>33310787
Bear in mind that this just one variable out of a many that you need to account for when accurizing a rifle.

However, when it comes to bolts, you need one with consistent lockup in its matching locking recess so that the firing pin hits the primer in the same spot every time.

A consistent lockup makes for more consistent ignition, and thus more consistent burn, which affects how much your POI will shift from shot to shot, which in turn affects the size of your group.

Generally speaking, when it comes to PRODUCTION RIFLES (IE, no hand fitting with polishing compound until all surfaces touch) more mating surface area = more consistent accuracy from batch to batch.

But if you just stuck one of these in a normal milspec barrel extension then your (as in you, the shooter) biggest problem would be the lugs breaking, because the front half of the lugs don't touch anything.
>>
>>33310962
Thanks, have a (you) for your troubles.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.