[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the deal with Kukri's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: ex-gurkha-khukuri-house.jpg (32KB, 550x369px) Image search: [Google]
ex-gurkha-khukuri-house.jpg
32KB, 550x369px
Ok guys, does anyone here own a Kukri and actually like it? Ive owned and used them for a few years now, ive really tried to like them but i'm finally ready to admit it, i think they're a fucking terrible tool.

They're just useless for anything, far too thick and slow to whip through light foliage, instead they just smack it around. far too thick to be used for normal cutting or slashing tasks. the only thing they can actually do is chop solid hard wood, and they dont do it anywhere near as well as a small hatchet. I've found that my cheap ass $5 Tramontina machete can do everything my kukri can do and much better.

The only positive thing's i can say is that they are absolutely indestructible and their stupidly thick bevel means they never get stuck in any pieces of wood, they just bounce out.

So yeah, who else owns one and likes it? Kukri general i guess.
>>
>>33300630
they're for cutting people's heads off, not "whipping through light foliage".
>>
>>33300658
Nope, they are used by villagers as a general purpose tool and very rarely as a weapon too. and even then, they dont make a great weapon with how stupidly thick and clumsy they are.
>>
>kukri
>useless

pick one.

https://youtu.be/0DHGlhFJH0g

yes - they are thick, and heavy, and not ideal to clear light foiage. but chopping and cutting is another thing altogether.
>>
sounds like you havent sharpened yours to the full potential OP
>>
>>33300825
10 bucks says OPs kukri isnt sharp enough to do that hence his complaints
>>
>>33300630
My guess is you bought some mall ninja tier bullshit and you never sharpen it. Khukri are fantastic all purpose machetes
>>
>>33300848
>>33300843
>>33300835
>>33300825
The Kukri i bought is from Himalayan Imports, from what i understand they are a pretty respectable representation of a Kukri. and yes, i always keep it sharp, sharp enough to cut food just like in that video. I've taken it out innawoods plenty of times but i just cant see any real reason to use for it. as i said, it doesn't chop anywhere near as well as a small hatchet, and it doesn't cut anywhere near as well as a knife, it is just too overly thick, which seems to be the standard size for "real" kukri's. i also have a Condor pack golok which is a thousand times better for every purpose because it isn't stupidly thick.

I'm just wondering if anyone else uses one regularly and why they prefer them over something else
>>
>>33300890

the video I linked is also a Himalayan Imports, and I have the same model.

Granted - that dude is a professional chef, so he makes it look easy.

A kukri would fall into the "fuck it, i'll just use this for everything, because i can't be bothered to juggle knives" category.

Most people will use a regular knife, like a 4'' drop point/spear point, and as you get more comfortable, your knives get smaller, not bigger.

That said, I did find a video of an old bushcrafter (sorry, wilderness living skills and survival instructor) with what looks like a kukri on his belt (stays in the sheath), and a smaller knife on his neck (great, kukri AND a neck knife, for double the triggers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9u_UxKWgFE
>>
nah i reckon would be good for rabbits and other hunting shit. dunno if u hunt OP but it looks good for skinnin' stuff. and even if its not- it looks cool and stuff
>>
File: Choppa.jpg (207KB, 1465x835px)
Choppa.jpg
207KB, 1465x835px
>>33301617
It would be about as usefull as a hammer for skinning, pretty good at chopping shit though, and it makes an awesome conversation starter sitting on a stand ontop of my gun safe.
>>
>>33301683
Ah fair enough with the skinning and yeah man even tho theyre not too practical they look cool as- and yeah i mean, idk where youre from OP but a kukri would be usefull chooping up kangaroos and deer
>>
>>33301717
Im from Aus too. And yes, they are very good for that ;)
>>
I'm by no means a kukri expert, but I think it might be worth considering that tools evolve around their environment. As a Himalayan knife, it stands to reason that it would work well with Himalayan foliage and game, and that stuff might be very different from what your area has.
>>
>>33300630

Seems like for the price you get a pretty decent "knife". the legit ones are only like 60-70 bucks on amazon.

i dont think these would be useful in a fight at all but as a combination axe/knife it works totally fine.
>>
I've been wondering this forever, and maybe somebody here on /k/ knows.

What's the point of the notch thingy at the base of a kukri blade?
>>
>>33302434
I always assumed it was a bottle opener
>>
>>33300737
Didn't the Gurkhas use them in the world wars when the Brits conscripted them?
>>
>>33300630
Congratulations OP, you just learned that a giant ass meme knife used only by mall ninja's and mountain dwelling illiterates isn't a very good knife.

Course /k/ will defend how it's the perfect knife for everything because "it looks cool on my wall"
>>
It's for like jungle shit.
>>
>>33300630
Kukri= big axeknife

Best machete
>>
>>33301052
>A kukri would fall into the "fuck it, i'll just use this for everything, because i can't be bothered to juggle knives" category.

Exactly why Alan Kay, the winner of Alone Season 1, brought a Condor Heavy Duty Kukri with him. If you have a limited gear selection, or just want to go minimalist, a kukri is a decent jack-of-all-trades choice.
>>
>>33303947

same reason Dustin Feher (also on Alone season 1) brought a Beck WSK (the infamous Tom Brown Tracker design).
>>
>>33304501
>a Beck WSK
I've wanted one of those ever since I saw The hunted. The Tom Brown TOPS version is stubby and retarded looking, and I can't justify dropping $1000 on an actual WSK. Fug.
>>
>>33300737
Are you kidding? A kukri would fuck your shit up exactly because of that reason. They're thick so that blade will slice through anything like an axe. They may be a little slower to swing but God help you if you're in the way of it
>>
>>33300630
I own a Gerber Kukri, I love it. As long as you keep it sharp, it'll cut through thick brush with ease.
>>
File: 1486403820729.jpg (43KB, 500x500px)
1486403820729.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
I've got one like pic related...solid, sharp blade that's heavy af, & goes through all foliage up to 2" saplings on my lot with ease. The MAJOR downside is that fucking butt; pointy as hell, & made for WAYYY smaller than average hands. I need gloves whenever I use it, & even then it's rough. I really like the blade, but I can't use it for more than a few solid chops. Unless you've got tiny hands, this is going to fuck your shit up.
>>
>>33304942
>Unless you've got tiny hands
I do. What brand is it?
>>
>>33300630
>Tramontina
Shit like everything else the monkeys make
>>
>>33302447
Gurkhas are still issued kukris today
>>
>>33300630
I like it because shtf, or hell, even just trekking innawoods, I like having one blade that can do it all.

People always forget the second half of 'Jack of all trades' is 'master of none' and that's sometimes is followed by 'is better than master of one.'

Sure It isn't great at anything in particular, but I like not needing a machete, a knife, and a hatchet. I like that should it come to it I can rely on a tried and true melee weapon (granted if you get to a melee distance you've probably already failed pretty bad).

Personally my Cold Steel kukri has served me well, and despite small frustrations, I still love it.
>>
>>33300630
You stumbled upon a truth, the kukri is mostly a meme

They aren't bad as far as large chopping knives go but they really don't do anything that a knife of similar size and weight can't do
>>
>>33304501
Why is it infamous?
>>
>>33305527
Nutnfancy has a good video breaking it down, if you've got a couple days to spare.
>>
>>33302447

They BTFO Japs with them.
>>
>>33305562
So WWII confirmed that Kukris>Katanas?
>>
>>33305527
Because it's a fucking retarded design but is hailed as the "ultimate survival knife" by armchair survivalists that have never used it outside of their backyard.
>>
>>33305687
Don't forget Tom Brown lying about having designed it, on top of lying about how well it works and lying about literally everything else he does.
>>
>>33305687
>>33305727
Also insanely expensive even if it could perform as well as they claim
>>
i got one off ebay for $60 bucks or so. I like it its good at chopping, seems faster than a wood saw or even a hatchet because there is less weight to throw around. I think the key to using effectively is letting it do the work for you if you know what i mean. I also use it when camping to shave off some kindling. So yea its not perfect for everything but its not useless by a long shot.
>>
File: DSCN9463.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
DSCN9463.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have a cold steel one I use to chop stuff.
>>
>>33300630
http://www.businessinsider.com/gurkha-fought-japanese-troops-bolt-action-rifle-2016-10
Gurkhas are just plain fucking badass and that's their signature weapon.

The blade looks mean, too.
>>
>>33302434
It's called a "cho". The short answer is that nobody really knows. From Himalayan Imports:

>"It has various meanings according to various people. A few are: the clitoris of Kali, the penis of Shiva, Surya ra Chandra (sun and moon, symbols of Nepal), a "Kowdi" ('cow-track' because the cow is sacred to the Hindus), a blood drip, a substitute guard, and on and on and on. Take your pick. The true meaning has been lost in time so today it is anybody's guess"
>>
>>33309159
that's not a kukri, that's a KLO
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.