[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it time for the battle blimp to make a come back?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: zep.jpg (65KB, 736x479px) Image search: [Google]
zep.jpg
65KB, 736x479px
Is it time for the battle blimp to make a come back?
>>
>>33295307
No, and the artistic license taken with these post cards triggers my 'tisms.
>>
>>33295307
>come back

It was never a thing.
>>
>>33295307
Get off BF1 bro, it was never a thing
However,
You aren't 100% stupid for asking.
We could have blimps used as refueling and other logistical work in the future.
>>
>>33295341
It was, it just failed utterly.
>>
>>33295307
The only way would be if vacuum lifters became a thing, and even then we'd need a hyperlite, super strong material for them to actually work
>>
I would like to see this battle blimp vs super tucanos. Anything more advanced seems excessive
>>
>>33295341
The Germans bombed London with zeppelins in the early days of WWI.

Of course it didn't work, which is why they didn't do it again.
>>
>>33295307
>ywn bomb brown people in a Zepplin named "Wilhelms Revenge"
feels bad man
>>
File: Airship Macon.jpg (55KB, 738x296px) Image search: [Google]
Airship Macon.jpg
55KB, 738x296px
>>33295307
The U.S. uses tethered airships in the Middle East to provide a high point to put sensors and what not on. There is also a permanent network of moored blimps with radars in the Continental U.S. Of course, it is far from a battle "blimp" (the picture you posted is a rigid airship, and not a blimp).
The U.S. Army does have a manned Goodyear-Zeppelin blimp, but as far as I know, it has only been used to coordinate the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Since then, it has been in storage.
There is talk of using manned airships for logistical or surveillance purposes in the future. The U.S. and the U.K. have both created programs to study modern airships for these purposes. Some modern Airships are designed to be slightly heavier than air, and could actually be considered to be helicopters. Others have a variable buoyancy.
One of the programs done by the U.K. showed that modern blimps are actually surprisingly resilient to small arms fire.
>>
>>33295307
Battle blimp, probably not. I'd be interested in taking a 2 week glass bottomed blimp cruise at like 3000 feet over areas of amazing beauty, though. Even better if you throw in booze, drugs, and bored milfs ready to make bad decisions.
>>
File: lz130-color.jpg (315KB, 1500x624px) Image search: [Google]
lz130-color.jpg
315KB, 1500x624px
>>33298542
Another interesting airship fact is that Germany used the Graf Zeppelin II (LZ 130) just prior to the start of WWII to spy on the British Chain Home Radar system.
>>
I am the only one that sees the russian expertise on air burst weapons paying off tenfold?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.