[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

7.62vs5.45 in USA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2535.jpg (167KB, 638x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2535.jpg
167KB, 638x1024px
Serious question here goys.

Ever time I go online or into a gun store, I see Aks that are only 7.62. Rarely if ever do I see one that is 5.45. Why?

Do people in my country (USA) not realize that the Russians use the more modern 5.45 round? It baffles me.
>>
7.62 is more common globally, not just US.
>>
>>33292948

besides russia sticking with 5.45 for obvious reasons, the world is moving away from 5.45 as its a pretty damn inadequate.

ukraine is the latest country to drop it, they are moving to 7.62x39.
>>
File: 1289171564069.jpg (493KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1289171564069.jpg
493KB, 1024x819px
>>33293409
>5.45 is inadequate
>>
>>33292948
Because 5.45 was a failure of an answer to the 5.56 NATO which in and of itself is not a particularly great round. The only 'benefit' is that it keyholes a lot, and that wasn't even intended
>>
If I recall correctly, only the Eastern Bloc nations ever really adopted 5.45, and only Russia made a concerted effort to replace existing 7.62x39 platforms with the 5.45 equivalent. Tatooine and Asia and virtually everyone else still uses 7.62 or a close variant.

That, and the fact that 7.62 ammo in the US is much, much easier to obtain. More manufacturers and less obscure.
>>
>>33293444
>failure

Retard alert. 5.45 is a great cartridge, it has a greater effective range than 5.56, less weight, and produces far worse wounds. NATO would probably adopt it if it could swallow its pride for once

5.56 is an outdated, practically ancient, first-gen intermediate cartridge. There are far, far better options than it besides just 5.45
>>
>>33292948
5.45 ammo is now hard to find and expensive
>>
>>33292948
Most people don't know it exists. In fact, most people in the states still think the ak-47 (akm doesn't exist in normy speak) is still the main assault rifle of Russia. Hell, I bet a good chunk of the population still thinks Russia is still the Soviet Union right now.
>>33293444
>that wasn't even intended
Nah, it was intended. The claim is it was to save on resources, will that might be true they recognized that by doing so it would yield similar results to 5.56. The soviets might have had a shit economic system, but their country was filled with incredibly smart and motivated individuals.
>>
>>33292948
>Rarely if ever do I see one that is 5.45. Why?
Because gun stores stock what's well known and sells. They're there to make money, not cater to gun owners like us, who are the exception, not the rule.
So 762x39, and run of the mill wasrs and those god-awful century guns with ugly plastic stocks & rails prevail.
>>
5.45 is objectively superior to 5.56 in terms of recoil, cost, size efficiency, and cartridge design. Performance is similar despite the poison bullet meme desu.

Anyone who say otherwise is legitimately retarded and this is coming from someone who's deep in 5.56 and hasn't had a 74 in years.
>>
7.62 came first. That's it.
People tend to use what's available and popular for two big reasons. The first is if they just "pick" what's popular they don't have to put in the research to form an educated opinion. The second is that there will always be a stronger market for the more popular thing because od the larger consumer base. This obviously snowballs very quickly as it grows simply because it's growing. 7.62x39, ARs, Glocks, Windows, Kardashians, etc. aren't the best option but they benefit from being popular because they're popular. 7.62 is popular because it's everywhere because it's popular. It spreads faster because it got in first and will always be more popular as a result. Sure ARs aren't the best but the aftermarket and availability is unbeatable. Windows is a buggy mess but Linux has no software because nobody develops for it because nobody uses it because nobody develops for it. (NEETs and server monkeys need not apply.) People continue to talk about the Kardashians because EVERYONE already knows who they are, it's just more convenient than having to learn about less garbage people.
>>
>>33293642
>Most people don't know it exists
This. If you show the average gun guy a picture of a modern Russian soldier and ask them what gun it is they'll say AK-47.

7.62x39mm was cheap as fuuuuck to shoot for decades due to Chinese importation. We'd have 15cent or below 7.62x39mm no problem if the Chinese were allowed back even with how much inflation has fucked us.
>>
>>33293445
>Tatooine
Lmfao
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.