[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subsonic 9mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: Snapchat-856459226.jpg (920KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-856459226.jpg
920KB, 1440x2560px
I got a Scorpion EVO pistol that I was going to turn into an SBR and suppress. Is there a point in using subsonic ammo with a suppressor or does it not make enough of a difference at that point to warrant the loss of power?
>>
>>33286747
if you want to maximize noise reduction you need to use subsonics. if you dont care go ahead shoot standard bullets.
>>
File: just do it shilo.gif (964KB, 397x658px) Image search: [Google]
just do it shilo.gif
964KB, 397x658px
>>33286747
DO IT!!
>>
File: just do it.jpg (142KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
just do it.jpg
142KB, 1280x852px
>>33286747
>>
>>33286747
Do it, use 147 grain HST if you're going to use it for HD
>>
>>33286747
My experience is limited. However, my anecdotal account is that subsonic bullets have reduced the sound by even more than suppressors have.

In other words, depending on the type of round, a silencer does less for noise reduction than subsonic loads. I'm willing to assume it's not the case for all calibers and all silencers.
>>
File: Snapchat-335507570.jpg (828KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-335507570.jpg
828KB, 1440x2560px
>>33286965

I've shot a lot of shit but I've never been around suppressors in person. It's hard to gauge the sound from videos alone. I've heard great things about CCI half load 22's and such but I have yet to even test out quiet 9mm loads. I'm about to google this myself but is there any new talk on the hearing protection act stuff?
>>
>>33286965
>>33286747
I'd recommend checking subsonic rounds expected DB for your gun and then checking the reduction of sound from your desired silencer and then deciding if it's necessary/practical/fun enough. Of course those requirements are subjective to your judgement as I'm waiting on a silencer that only reduces like 15 decibels at ear that cost over a grand. However, hunting with earpro is a hassle I'm not willing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXwQVFt8Ho&t=17s

This video is the only reason I contemplate my choice. Fucking video gives me conniptions.
>>
>>33287093
They're for the most part incredibly underwhelming.

>thanks Hollywood.

However, a 9mm with a big enough can and subsonic loads should be pretty close to Hollywood quiet.

as far as HPA I dunno, I suppose It couldn't hurt to wait. If it passes I know I'm going to run out and get a lever action .22 and put a can on it and buy a bunch of subsonic ammo so I can hunt small game without scaring big game off.
>>
The difference between 9mm subs and 115s out of a supressor is substantial. If you go to the trouble of buying and registering a can you will want to use subs.

>loss in power
Standard 147 grn 9mm is subsonic. Not quite as flat but not really a loss in power. A long enough barrel might make it go supersonic. That could an issue with an sbr so you would want to test that before stocking up.
>>
>>33286747
147s are naturally subsonic and have just about as much energy
>>
>>33286965
Sub sonic 9mm without supressor isnt bad. Like a .17hmr or .22mag depending on barrel length. But the noise reduction isnt enough to justify the velocity lost compared to normal rounds, or if you cant reload the bullets. The costs are really bad compared to normal rounds. You are better off investing money into a supressor alone than trying to use just subsonics.
>>
>>33286965
subsonics on their own out of a unsuppressed handgun are not hearing safe.
shooting subs instead of supersonic eliminates the crack when the bullet breaks the soundbarrier.
the sonicboom on its own is pretty loud.

with a suppressor the difference between subsoinc and standard ammo is night and day but you have to hear it in person recordings dont capture it.
>>
Yes, you should run subsonics in a suppressor to avoid the supersonic crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

You'll still have first round pop and it will still not be Hollywood quiet, but it will be better than normal. Most 147 grain 9mm is subsonic anyway.
>>
File: 20161026_002748.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161026_002748.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>33286747
9mm subsonic makes shooting ACTUALLY quiet. Regular 115gr is alright out, but 147gr is VERY noticeable.
>>
>>33287183
>>33287093
ive been waiting, checking, and hoping since day one...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367
>>
File: 9 mili mini.jpg (1MB, 2600x1733px) Image search: [Google]
9 mili mini.jpg
1MB, 2600x1733px
>>33286747
You lose no energy by using 147 grain subsonics instead of 124 grain supersonics. Depending on the load you may gain some, so it's a no brainer to use subsonic from a suppressed 9mm.

147 grain is also no more expensive than 124 grain when comparing non-shit ammo like Speer Blazer, Lawman or Winchester Super.

Shit's fun yo, so use the next 14 months to get hyped as fuck to be able to shoot it.
>>
File: 40610026_HDR-min.jpg (1MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
40610026_HDR-min.jpg
1MB, 4320x2432px
>>33286747
Did the same thing OP. Anyone have a recommendation for subsonic 9mm? I bought a case of lawman 147 gr subsonic, so far that's all I've used.
>>
>>33289706
If your waiting for the HPA to pass or not, don't. For starters, it's written into the bill that your tax stamp will be refunded, assuming you bought it now. So one of two things could happen. A) the bill doesn't pass, and it's a good thing you got your paperwork started, or B) it does pass, and you go pick up your suppressor immediately while the masses eat up the small inventory available and wait for months for supply to catch back up.
>>
>>33289822
Thank you anon. You're a sweet prince on a dark night.
>>
how is subsonic 32acp?

I have a skorpion in my future, perhaps
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.