[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ reading material

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 22

File: 1473652068818.jpg (34KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
1473652068818.jpg
34KB, 321x499px
> what are you reading?
> whats next?

Can anyone recommend a good 1st account vietnam war book?

Currently reading pic related after the Chris Kyle autobio because im not quite sure why.
>>
Papa Bravo Romeo
>>
>>33279889
You sure?
>>
>>33279863
>We Were Soldiers Once...And Young

Also have you read Storm of Steel?
>>
Kinda /k/ due to being about the Spanish Civil War but I am reading it because of its political implications

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
>>
File: stormofsteel.jpg (25KB, 311x474px) Image search: [Google]
stormofsteel.jpg
25KB, 311x474px
Storm of Steel is probably the most hardcore memoir, its really fucked up. WW1 was no joke. Give it a read, shits fucked.
>>
"Technological Slavery" by the Unabomber and a Dr. Skrbina he corresponds with, it's interestig but pretty dry so I think I'll dip in and out of it while reading something else.

So then I've got Al Deere's "Nine Lives". After that I'm going to either choose between "The Jungle is Neutral", which another /k/ommando reccomended and sounds like a must read, "Commander" about Edward Pellew or a book called "Beast, Men and Gods" about a crazy Pole who did mad shit in the Russian revolution and in Mongolia; I've been told it's pretty /k/.
>>
>>33279863
I really like Beevor as a historian and writer, I think he deserves to be rated highly.
>>
>>33279966

Agreed. It's the blunt way in which the account is written. Relentless. I felt like I'd been beaten up by the end of it
>>
If you are looking for something very different, I cannot recommend this book enough.
It actually has a glossary of mountain-speak in the back of the book.
>>
>>33279966

i'm part-way through the chapter on the somme.

i still can't believe that earlier part about an NCO stealing his rifle when he fell asleep and then made him go clear wire obstacles in no-man's land.

jesus christ, NCOs back in the day were real assholes.
>>
File: BeastsMenandGods.jpg (26KB, 274x421px) Image search: [Google]
BeastsMenandGods.jpg
26KB, 274x421px
I just finished Beasts Men and Gods, really good book. Loosely based on a real story by a guy who legit fled from the Bolsheviks during the Russian revolution. It was recommended to me by /out/ but involves lotsa guns, small unit gun fights and travelling in hostile terrain with warring groups. Beautifully written and compelling story with a tinge of eastern steppe mysticism rolled into it.
>>
File: Mauser.jpg (17KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
Mauser.jpg
17KB, 400x200px
>>33282074
"Behind our backs remained only one soldier, very brutish in appearance and apparently very hostile to us. I had time to whisper to my companion only one word: "Mauser," and saw he very carefully unbotoned the saddle bag and drew out the little handle of his pistol."
>>
Reading Shattered Sword right now.
If you faglords know about books with a similar level of quality I'm all ears.
>>
I'm on book 7 of the Casca series. Breddy good. Jesus curses the soldier that killed him on the cross to live as a soldier until his return. Soldier murderfucks everyone for hundreds of years as an immortal mercenary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casca_%28series%29#Books_in_the_series
>>
>>33279863
Try this
>>
>>33282118
Dunno what you mean by that, but I do love books to content related (just googled it, going off 2-3 secs of reading description).

>Ghost Soldiers
story of POWs in the WWII pacific theater, Bataan Death March & the daring raid.

>Citizen Soldiers
really good account of American involvement in WWII, western theater tho

>The Thin Red Line
waaaaaay better than the movie. My most favorite book ever written. Loosely based on battle of Guadalcanal. Very raw & very rough but compelling read.
>>
File: fivefingers.jpg (36KB, 254x400px) Image search: [Google]
fivefingers.jpg
36KB, 254x400px
Where does /k/ come down on The Five Fingers?
>>
File: 1488969478692-fit.jpg (476KB, 750x716px) Image search: [Google]
1488969478692-fit.jpg
476KB, 750x716px
Trying to find all these books on bookzz. Such a pain in my ass.
>>
>>33282266
> 5 fingers inside her
>>
File: blood_red_snow.jpg (42KB, 307x499px) Image search: [Google]
blood_red_snow.jpg
42KB, 307x499px
Hands down the most underrated ww2 memoir out there.

>MG34 gunner on the eastern front
>>
File: voices of the pacific.jpg (673KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
voices of the pacific.jpg
673KB, 1536x1536px
Love reading about the Pacific War here, picked this up the other day and I was not disappointed, really recommend it guys.

Also I know most people don't like it but I really liked Helmet for my Pillow, I just love Bob Leckie's verbosity for some reason
>>
>>33282296
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Use a proxy if you're in the USA.
>>
>>33282296
youtube has audiobooks if that works for you
>>
File: Japan.jpg (40KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
Japan.jpg
40KB, 333x500px
This book actually made me weep something not too many things do
>Bride of a kamikaze pilot
>>
Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot. It's excellent
>>
Hey /k/ my knowledge about WWI is woefully lacking. What do you recommend to get me started?
>>
File: 1489187260831-k.png (284KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1489187260831-k.png
284KB, 640x640px
>>33282601
>>33282467
Thank you!
>>
File: 1488455650387-fit.jpg (2MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1488455650387-fit.jpg
2MB, 4961x3508px
Bump.
>>
Anyone know any decent books of Soviet invasion Afghanistan?
>>
>>33284298
A Rifleman Went to War is great for setting the scene on the Western front at a very individual, low level. It will give you a good idea of exactly what the fighting and life was like from a first hand account. From there, and keeping that in mind you can read about the causes, battles, events and outcomes on the larger scale.
>>
>>33285824
Holy fuck, they are some basic bitches.
>>
>>33290284
I assume that image is meant as a starting point for people who've never read much before, in which case those are mostly good books to read sometime between that point and the end of your life. What's wrong with that? You don't need to become an ever more elite literary hipster the more you read.
>>
>>33279863
does it even matter what we are reading? the thread will just de-evolve into nazi circle jerking on why all the good books are eastern german side books.
>>
>>33286082
from a purely tactical perspective the bear went over the mountain is good, be warned though it is a learning resource more than a recreational book.

The intro mentions its use by western forces entering the area years later.
>>
File: The Forever Troopers.png (2MB, 1101x841px) Image search: [Google]
The Forever Troopers.png
2MB, 1101x841px
Which one is better /k/?
>>
Good book about the men that were on the ships of the most lopsided naval battle in WW2. Considering the fact the flag ship for Japan (the Yamato) weighed more then all of Task Force 3 (Taffy 3) combined, and it had a lot of ships with it. gives good accounts from men in all the ships while they held the fate of the Pacific war in their hands
>>
>>33279863
One Soldier's War in Chechnya
All Quiet on the Western Front
With the Old Breed
Blood Meridian
The Things They Carried
Imperial Grunts
Hyperion
All are pretty good books that you should probably fucking read
>>
>>33285824
Meditations and Art of War are based

Meditations was a daily carry for Mattis and the Art of War is required reading, whether you enjoy it or not.
>>
>>33293113

Forever War is more sci-fi, Starship Troopers is more political philosophy. Both are good.
>>
>>33293187
My Nubian companion
Blood Meridian is the penultimate American novel, at least in this anon's opinion. I've yet to read anything that topped it; its completion has left a whole in my life.
I rarely reccomend it to people because they cannot get past the grammar and dialogue structuring and just give up. Then they bitch at me for the glowing review I gave it. I got sick of hearing it, so I now keep that book for myself.
>>
File: 20170215_230948.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170215_230948.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Debunks all the stupid bullshit people believe about pacification programs in Vietnam and really amazing detail on the operations and success of Phoneix and the Vietnamese in general and lays out how badly hamstrung they were by shit leaders and how good they were with good leaders quite interesting
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I think they released the sequel to this, it's called One Year After
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>33293645
>>
>>33293514
It's definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I hate that people can't get past the fucked up may that McCarthy writes, but I can definitely say that it makes the book a little bit harder to read. I would read entire pages, only to go back and re read it because I missed some crucial detail and couldn't make out what was going on.
>>
This is a book about a post SHTF world that is actually pretty cozy, It's actually quite refreshing. The author is a geographer that wrote a bunch of doomspelling non fiction, then he brought that world to life in a novel. A fair warning, he is a yuppy and it comes out ib a couple places. A .41 mygnum makes an appearance tough.
>>
>>33293679
Like how much of a yuppie? I'm fine with a 60s/70s tree hugging peace and love undertone but if it's bordering on modern campus SJW shit then I can't deal.
>>
>>33279863
I'm making my way through the Southern Victory series again, currently on American Front.
>>
>>33293763
No, he's just a rich old man. He has such a disdain for the rural poor. He depicts a community of them as a very crude and offensive charicature, is all. He doesn't seem to like young people very much either. It's a decent enough book to pick up used or borrow from the library.
>>
>>33293678
I actually really like the way he writes. I grew up reading a good amount of Hemmingway, so I really value terseness. I waged a perpetual battle with my English teachers over minimum word/ page counts. I think his style is enlightened, but I too struggled with it at first.
>>
File: 1489439467185-1478234330.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1489439467185-1478234330.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>33291157
You raise a very fair couple of points. I reacted this way for a couple of reasons, all of them personal.
1: I believe the purpose of books is the dissemination of knowledge and ideas. While these are all good books, especially for "rookies", if we all read the same books it contributes to hivemind behaviour (I'm looking at you shitty US public school system)
2: I just find it unfathomable that someone is not a reader; what the fuck do they do to keep themselves entertained??
3: I despise /fit/. We may be the autists with all of the guns, but /fit/ is full of individuals who need to be taught how to be people; I truly believe it is where all of the real psychos hang out. It is full of instructions on how to put up a facade to hide its users' inhumanity. That is why I am heavy handed with anything from that board.
>To contribute to the theead, here's what I am currently reading.
>>
recently finished Stay the rising sun (About the original lexington) and I'm currently reading JG26 Top guns of the luftwaffe.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.