[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US Army to Mortar Supplies onto Troops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: armymortar.jpg (74KB, 840x420px) Image search: [Google]
armymortar.jpg
74KB, 840x420px
http://taskandpurpose.com/army-unveils-plan-shoot-mortars-soldiers-victory/

>This isn’t a suicidal ‘Russian Rambo’ situation, though. Instead of high explosive material, the mortars are filled with goodies like 5.56 ammunition and, if you’re lucky, logs of Copenhagen. Beefed up on dip and ammo, your platoon begins laying down the scunion. The tide of battle turns and ISIS is defeated. Peace in the Middle East is finally restored.

In the near future you will literally need a CIWS to stop the US Army from resupplying itself.
>>
>>33279858
>In the near future

Brah taiwan and china had done that for the last 50 years
>>
>>33279869
The article says mortar troops with supplies not HE.
>>
>>33279877
Taiwan (and china) were shelling each others with pamphlets, food (especially candies) and even transistor radio, not just regular HE

That's basically where them kinmen knives came from
>>
>>33279858
>Use the wrong mortar
>End up giving ISIS all your Charleston Chew

Fuck that
>>
>>33279877
I just hope they're not firing them out of the same barrel. Lots that could go wrong there.
>>
>>33279904
>using wrong mortar
That is why they are colored. How many blue shells do you think we hit the Taliban with?
>>
>>33279908
A shit-ton, probably, considering the average grunt.
>>
Supply delivery drones make sense for desperate circumstances, and a glider put up in the air by a mortar should be cheaper than a powered drone. My concern would be the small payload and short range means there aren't really that many situations it would be useful.

To me the best implementation of this idea would be to retrofit old M26A1/A2 rockets for the MLRS and HIMARS for this purpose. More range and a useful payload while using legacy equipment.
>>
File: 1477808093948.jpg (146KB, 440x457px) Image search: [Google]
1477808093948.jpg
146KB, 440x457px
>>33279911
>Bringing training rounds into the AOR
>>
File: 1488500582260.png (107KB, 283x375px) Image search: [Google]
1488500582260.png
107KB, 283x375px
>>33279917
I was under the impression that the USMil has been training the locals in the Middle-East for quite some time now.
>>
>>33279923
You are now aware they are State Dept funded and have nothing to do with the DoD aside from advise and assist roles.
>>
>>33279928
Who what now?
>>
>>33279858
>logs of Copenhagen

Do people still use snuff
>>
>>33279954
Of course. Especially easy in a military setting, since you can just lob it under your lip and go on with your business.
>>
>>33279914
I have to agree - the shock and rapid acceleration of a mortar or artillery shell supply payload pretty much rules out effective transport of ammunition or complex foodstuffs or water. A rocket is a better option, and hopefully it's successful and spurs development of a light towed MRL so airborne forces and small COP's have some grid square removal options
>>
>>33279858
>Imagine this: The year is 2018. You’re an American grunt. Your platoon is pinned down on the outskirts of Raqqa, encircled by jihadist forces. Supplies and ammunition are running low. Dangerously low. So you call in a mortar strike on your own position.

the only possible outcome is mortars supplying 81mm dragon dildos into that encircled unit because they're fucked 7 ways to sunday if mortars are their only chance at survival.
>>
just use a fucking delivery drone
>>
I feel like this is going to end up like Market Garden where it just ends up into the hands of the enemy

Thanks to the CIA ISIS is armed with mostly ARs these days so yeah....this will backfire.
>>
>>33279858
grunts are too stupid for that shit.

>CAPTUN CAPTUN!

>WAS THE BLUE, RED, OR GREEN SHELL FOR GUUDIES?!
>>
>>33282228
>just use a few hundred dollar and slow as fuck quadrocopter more equipped for flying in malls than whatever shithole.

You and your ideas are shit.
>>
>>33282960

you mean the same ones armies already use for recon and even top down bombardment?
>>
>>33282960
What are the marginal costs of using a drone compared to using mortar rounds though?
>>
>>33284055
>GPS-guided hollow mortar round
Ah yes, never mind.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.