[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1 Garand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_2281.jpg (73KB, 1600x613px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2281.jpg
73KB, 1600x613px
I need help /k/. There is a gun show in my area next week. I really want an M1 Garand. What should I look for and what should I avoid?
>>
well if you're looking to not get your wallet raped, avoid the gunshow.
>>
>>33276824
fpbp

Just get one from the CMP.
>>
File: Garand 3.jpg (2MB, 3248x2051px) Image search: [Google]
Garand 3.jpg
2MB, 3248x2051px
Look for a way into the CMP
>>
>>33276824
Where can i find one?
>>
>>33276824
This.

Every time I go to the gun show I see Garands for no less then $1000, and they are usually in only decent condition.
>>
Is it guh-rand or gare-and ?
>>
>>33277009
The first one, but I kind of go with a blend of the two that can't be expressed in text.
>>
>>33277009

the proper pronunciation of his name was gare-and.
>>
>>33277009
Gare-und, but not too much stress on the "und" as it shouldn't sound like an OOOOND but more like a a nice quiet quick uNd.
>>
File: 6450109_03_m1_garand_640.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
6450109_03_m1_garand_640.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>i missed out on this
Feels bad, man.
>>
File: IMG_1177.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1177.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>33276795
Picked mine up for 600.It was covered in surface rust.Besides the sneezing blood from rust inhalation is was worth it.
>>
I have been looking to get one as well.

I see a lot of talk about needing an adjustable gas plug. Is that something I would need to be worried about?
>>
just get one from CMP.

all those garands are gun shows are being sold by flippers. they just get rifles from cmp, mark them up, and resale. worse, sometimes they are selling you a reactivated drill rifle they made them selves.
>>
File: ping.jpg (2MB, 3264x1616px) Image search: [Google]
ping.jpg
2MB, 3264x1616px
>>33278625
adjustable gas plugs are for if you want to shoot modern commercial ammo. if you use the original gas plug you run the chance of breaking your op rod.

if you shoot m2 ball spec ammo (surplus or ppu/federal m2 ball spec) then you dont need to use an adjustable gas plug.
>>
>>33276795
Honestly there isn't much you can look for without taking it apart. Most guys won't let you field strip one before you buy it.

things you can look for w/o disassembly.
>stock to receiver fitment
grab the heel of the receiver (part that has the serial #) and see if there is any wiggle. There should be ZERO. A better way to make sure would be to take out the trigger group and see how difficult it is to remove the stock from the barreled assy but like i said good luck finding a seller that will let you take it apart. If there is movement then it needs a new stock.
>gas tube fitment
there should be zero wiggle of the gas tube. any wiggle or give means it'll have accuracy issues since the front sight is mounted on the gas tube. Any movement requires the barrel to be re-peened
>rear sight
The aperture should have no wiggle either but a little wiggle is not the end of the world. the adjustment knobs should be stiff but not impossible to rotate. loose adjustment knob will loose zero and you'll end up hitting lower and lower with each shot till you bottom out the rear site.
>head spacing, throat & muzzle erosion
these requires tools but will pretty much make or break an M1. Muzzle and throat erosion measurements can tell you the condition of the barrel. There is an allowable amount of erosion before a barrel is deemed unserviceable, keep that in mind An easy way to check muzzle erosion is to use a .30-06 cartridge and stick it tip first in to the muzzle. (MAKE SURE THE SELLER IS COOL WITH THIS B4 YOU DO THIS) If the crown touches the brass it could mean that the barrel is worn or getting worn. Only way to confirm is to check the throat erosion but there's no easy way to check it without a throat erosion gauge. Same goes for the head spacing, you'll need "go" and "no go" gauges to check head spacing. The tools can be a great for bringing sellers down to earth who think that their M1 is in perfect condition and dodging potential bombs.
>>
File: 20170219_154806.jpg (3MB, 4000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
20170219_154806.jpg
3MB, 4000x2250px
>>
File: 0313141327.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
0313141327.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33279000
>continued

>overall condition
look at the rifle. dings and scratches are ok but cracks are some thing to take a close look at. any cracks of metal parts pretty much means that particular part is fucked. cracks in the stock are ok if they're not too big. A little bit of pitting on metal is ok as well but if the pitting is deep then look else where.
>>
File: 0606141742.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
0606141742.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>
File: hra3-12.jpg (680KB, 970x640px) Image search: [Google]
hra3-12.jpg
680KB, 970x640px
my HRA service grade from the cmp. I've been applying a shit load of linseed oil to the stock and its getting a nice red color.
>>
>>33281976
you better not be refinishing original wood.
>>
>>33281993
of course not. it came with one of those new boyds pumpkin stocks.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.