[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bought my first gun today!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: mav88.jpg (315KB, 1492x1992px) Image search: [Google]
mav88.jpg
315KB, 1492x1992px
Newfag and poorfag here. Just bought my first gun today (Mossberg Maverick 88). I bought some shells along with it, was planning on breaking it in tomorrow. I was going to just run one box (25 shells) through it tomorrow, but in my excitement to get the thing, I neglected to get a cleaning kit.

I'm fully prepared to go out and search for what I need, but I'm a lazy motherfucker. If I run 25 Federal Game Load shells through it (6 shot, low brass) should I go out and clean it afterwards, or can I neglect it until next time?
>>
>>33275910
First of all, congrats on the purchase. To answer your question: it really depends on when you are going to shoot it next. If it's only going to be a weekend or less, you should be fine. But, any longer, and I would highly recommend cleaning it. Since shotguns shoot black powder, they oxidize more quickly, and gunk up just as easily. Once you get a cleaning kit, I would try to do it after every shooting session. Have fun, OP!
>>
>>33275910
Neat, just got a Mossman 500 for $230 the other day, how much you walk away with yours for?
>>
>>33276026
$200 even, 214 after tax. Guy cut me a minor deal, tag said 229.

Bought 75 shells of Federal Game Load 6 shot and 5 shells of military issue Winchester 00 buck. Cost me 25 dollars.
>>
>>33275910
It should be fine if you intend on shooting it again fairly soon (and cleaning it soon after that).

What you need:
Bottle of solvent
Bottle of gun oil
Cleaning rod
12 gauge brush
Cleaning patches
>>
I have one too, got a magpul stock for it recently, it's noice
>>
dude nice purchase. its not a big deal to clean a shotgun. Find something to shove down the barrel with an oily rag or paper towel to use in a pinch. you'll be good. hell I haven't run a patch down the barrel of my 12ga for years. it shoots.
>>
File: 1488851505619.jpg (13KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
1488851505619.jpg
13KB, 600x576px
>>33276346
>I haven't run a patch down the barrel of my 12ga for years.
>>
>>33276007
>Since shotguns shoot black powder,

Holy shit. Ya fuckin' think so?

Good Lord, I hope you don't own a weapon.
>>
>>33275910

/smith/ here.

Clean it just to learn how to clean it. If you don't , it's fine. Not going to rust out, it will just sit dirty. I have around 500 rnds thru my mossberg 500 without cleaning it for months and it's fine.

>>33276007
the fuck you talking about
>>
>>33276385
I just might wind up doing that. When I buy more guns I'll need to clean them on a semi regular basis.
>>
>>33276385
Ah good sanity. No need to add more. Let us know how you like it anon! I'm planning to pick one up myself for a good cheap utility pump to go with my m&p.
>>
>>33275910
ayyy my first gun also, grats
>>
>>33276007
You are a fucking moron.
>>
>>33276361
well, in comparison to modern smokeless powder, its a LOT more oxidizing, and more prone to leaving residue. I just like to thoroughly explain my reasoning.
>>
>>33275910
>should I go out and clean it afterwards

Yes, just go to Walfart and buy a $10-15 cleaning kit. Make sure it has a bottle of Hoppes 9 bore solvent, a brass bore brush and a suitable rod.. It won't hurt your shotgun to leave it for a bit, but cleaning your firearm after shooting is a good habit to get into. In the mean time, a rag carefully wrapped around a straightened coat hanger (bend the end in a tight loop) with some 3 in 1 oil will be OK.
>>
>>33276718
>well, in comparison to modern smokeless powder, its a LOT more oxidizing, and more prone to leaving residue.

Are you STILL claiming that shotguns shells are charged with black powder?

Seriously, are you a fucking retard?
>>
File: 982RGB.png (82KB, 750x176px) Image search: [Google]
982RGB.png
82KB, 750x176px
>>33275910
could have had this for the same price.....i keep trying to tell you guys not to buy mavrick 88's..
>>
>>33276354
you should see my couple ak's.
>>
>>33276007
he said shotgun, not blunderbuss.

smoke less crack retard.
>>
Field stripping your gun to clean it will teach you a lot about your gun.
>>
>>33276062

Nice. Word of advise, the military winchester 00 buck is exactly the same as their normal red-hulled 00 buck, just with a different color. So you can save some $$ and just buy the 25rd boxes of standard winchester 00, same exact stuff. But the green and blacked brass does look cool.
>>
>>33276873

A Chink ripoff of the 870, or an American made and warranteed shotgun with a proven design?

I'll go with the Maverick.
>>
>>33276062
>military issue

as a veteran let me please explain to you why military anything is garbage.

for instance, the army started liquidating a huge surplus of HMMWV. some of them going for around 4k, most expensive one i saw was 40 but it had some work done to it and only 68 miles on it.

as a veteran youd think id be all over that right?
>no
they are a pain in the ass to work on, constantly break down and are generally shit, an old 80-90s chevy would be waaay better.

civilian products are built better, dont buy government spec trash.
>>
>>33276873
>Chinese made
>>
>>33276940
its better built dont be ass mad.
>a proven design
>mossberg
>its made by mavrick arms not mossberg
ive had a maverick explode in my hands dude, they are garbage gun was brand new, we only shot bird out of it, maybe 100 rounds then BOOM.

the hawk 982 is a tank.

>hur dur muh chink meme
then why are norinco AK's so coveted?

yea. nice try tho.
>>
>>33276955
ok bubbuh settle down.

next theyll tell me american made AK is best AK.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33277015
Not even bubba but I would trust Mexican QC over Chinese any day
>>
>>33277071
>owns Beretta shit
>not bubba
>wants to tell me his opinion on anything ever

ahahahahahaha
>>
>>33277071
find me one negative review that isnt an opinion, and ill post it on armslist tonight for $100
>>
>>33276007
Time traveler spotted
>>
>>33277147
how?
>>
>>33276873
i bought my maverick for $150, think that was a pretty price
>>
>>33276946
Jesucristo, this. People don't know that the government has to work on a budget that's dictated by taxes, and because of that, their cash goes to the lowest bidder.
>>
File: American_Nationalist.png (106KB, 1023x614px) Image search: [Google]
American_Nationalist.png
106KB, 1023x614px
Since we're on the topic I got my first gun today (AR-15) and I went to the gun show to buy a cleaning kit but the guy told me I should just get a bore snake instead so I did. Is that really all there is to it? Don't I need oil or something? Should I store it with oil? I don't really know these things
>>
>>33275910

Happy for you, and you made a fine first choice. Something simple, robust, cheap, and which can fill numerous roles. A good all rounder.

>>33276354

LOL I'm autistic about my gun care also. I always clean my guns like an hour after I leave the range.
>>
>>33277006
>ive had a maverick explode in my hands dude, they are garbage gun was brand new, we only shot bird out of it, maybe 100 rounds then BOOM.

Pics or it didn't happen, airsoft boi.
>>
File: 1488999262979.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1488999262979.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>33277319
yea let me pull up a picture of something i didnt plan on happening to me 6 years ago.

>airsoft ever

nice try.
>>
>>33277280
i use a CLP type spray called g96

cleans lubricates and protects.

>spray on rag or into bore
>use boresnake threw bore
>scrub other parts with paper towels or microfiber rags just because they were cheap and i got a big ass bag of them at sams club.
>>
>>33277425
>yea let me pull up a picture of something i didnt plan on happening to me 6 years ago.

Kek, So, you just left you "blown-up" shotgun on the range with all the other smoking debris and staggered home in tears and shock? Or maybe you're too stupid to operate a cell phone camera?

Lying sack of shit.
>>
>>33277280
also dont over use CLP, a light coating rubbed on with a paper towel or cloth is good, you dont need to saturate the gun.
>>
>>33276007
>this post
>this thread
>>>/blackpouder/
>>>/youfuckingwotm8?/

All of it, weaponized autism.
>>
>>33277489

Maybe he was using some of those black powder shot shells.
>>
>>33277484
So I can clean with CLP, and then store it with nothing else?
>>
>>33277510
>So I can clean with CLP, and then store it with nothing else?

You can also disassemble it and put it in the dishwasher because of the black powder.
>>
>>33277489
want my shotgun to begin with my buddy just bought it.

>bro has land
>we go out and shoot our ar-15s a lot
>hes jelly of my winchester shotgun
>walmart was having a sale
>he walked by and say the 88 on sale
>"fuck it, why not"
>he shoots around 100rds of bird out of it dicking around shooting boxes milk jugs ect
>he offers it to me to shoot
>cool yea ill check it out
>load up some bird shot
>fire two rounds
>third round
>pull trigger
>sparks fly out of receiver and around barrel
>pump flies forward
>barrel flops out
>what the fuck

yea sure im a liar, what the fuck would i have to gain by lying about a cheap POS shotgun?
>>
>>33277539
>yea sure im a liar, what the fuck would i have to gain by lying about a cheap POS shotgun?

Other than spewing bullshit to make your point, however wrong it was?

...and NOBODY took a picture. KEK, you're fulla shit, man.
>>
>>33277503
kek no.

>>33277510
yes, unless you want to go full autism and spray it down all soaking wet with oil every time you store it.

lol just lightly coat it and maybe get a gun sock, they help protect your guns from scratches and if you touch the gun, wipe it down. especially if its parkerized or blued, it can cause rust from the oils in your skin.
>>
>>33277539
so what your saying is someone didnt bother to tighten the screw holding the barrel to the magtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsc64H4G_g
>>
>>33277560
why would i hold on to something like that? and idk he could have taken a picture.

>"hey bro do you have a picture of that shit gun from like 6 years ago so i can prove to some anon faggot on an anime image board that your gun died?"

im done dude 10/10 nice bait.
>>
>>33277581
kek well fuck i guess.

alright im a dumb faggot, i was just a 19yo be gentle.
>>
>>33277087
>beretta
>shit
Oh I get it, you're retarded.
>>
>>33277491
On the internals or outside of gun?
>>
>>33277590
>why would i hold on to something like that? and idk he could have taken a picture.

Kek, if you sent it back to Maverick, they'd replace it, and perhaps send some nigger out to fucking spank your ass and take the rest of your guns away.

Fucking dipshit.
>>
>>33277626
IT WAS NOT MY FUCKING GUN

holy shit dude read.
>>
>>33277607
your opinions are retarded.
>>
>>33277634

You. him, your mom, whoever. Fucking stupid as fuck.
>>
>>33277561
Thanks. Just ordered a bottle of CLP. I don't have a safe or anything but I keep it in the soft case I bought for it.
>>
>>33277668
good enough.
>>
>>33277643
cry less, youre like the white knight of poorfags lol.
>>
>>33277625
either, theres no point to wasting it, a little goes a long way.
>>
All you need to do is watch a YouTube video on breaking it down and put a little oil on metal parts that move. Motor oil will do in a pinch. I use 5w-30 full synthetic in all of my guns from AR to FAL to Rem 700. You can get away without cleaning a shotgun for years. Just give her innards a little wipe down and apply some oil. Depending on the mfg they might pack it in an anti-rust agent that is in no way a good gun oil.

But it's a pump shotgun. If you manage to fuck it up it you are an ascended autist, far beyond /k/'s normal level.
>>
>>33277696
Just need to prevent surface rust really
>>
>>33275910
Congrats and thanks for helping out. Please be a responsible citizen for all our sakes.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.