[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boots/general field equipment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: RA.jpg (35KB, 347x438px) Image search: [Google]
RA.jpg
35KB, 347x438px
Newfag here,

I'm going on a summer course with the military. It's going to be about 2 months long with about 3 weeks in the field. Anyone have a preference of boot? I've been debating between swats and magnums. PT most mornings will consist of weighted marches, and the field portion will involve a lot of patrolling, so I'm looking for a boot that's good both in garrison and in the field. Any suggestions?

Also debating on buying some gore-tex to go under my uniform for the field, so general equipment thread.

Any and all input is appreciated.
>>
>>33261850
If you wanna be a normie, the Nike SFB isn't bad. I wear Mini Mil's on post but would never take them to the field. Heard good thing about Danner's too.
>>
>>33261860
I like the look of Nike SFB, they kind of remind me of jungle boots, looks nice and lightweight. As of now anything would be better than the issued Mark IVs I have, shits are so hard on the knees and I've rolled my ankles thousands of times.

It's also hard to tell if regulations will give me any shit about Nikes. I know Swats and Magnums are fine
>>
>>33261899
I'm National Guard, and I see people wearing Nike's left and right. Hell, a lot of my Drill Sergeants back at OSUT wore them.
>>
>>33261850
>goretex
You'd get better results spraying your socks and clothes with plastidip
>>
>>33261918
Reservist, but the course I'll be doing is a reg force course and the base is has crusty superiors everywhere just looking for stupid shit to jack people up over. Definitely going to ask my CoC about them though. How do you find they hold up in the field?.I know some dudes that spent $150 on a set of swats just to demolish them after a week in the field.
>>
>>33261943
We were issued goretex socks, but I've never bothered with them. The rain jackets we're issued are bulky as fuck and about as effective as a rugby skate.
>>
>>33261850
I can't tell you a specific good option, there's a lot, but I can say don't fall for the 5.11 meme. They're the worst boots I've ever owned. The soles started wearing out after 2 months of just walking, they're uncomfortable as hell, like ovens on your feet, and they're the only pair of footwear I've owned that has started to smell. I've been far more active in other pairs of footwear and they don't smell, these things decided I need to smell like stale popcorn on duty. Seriously though most their products are garbage, they look good but wear out quick.
>>
>>33261976
I feel like they fuck up at the goretex factory and made them all backwards so it lets water in and keeps it in. I accidentally ripped the goretex booty out of a danner boot and tried filling it with water and it only let out the tiniest amount.

Imo wear wool or space magic polyesters and carry extras along with a plastic poncho
>>
go with the nikes. They have ones with the jungle boot black and green aesthetic. Go for that.
>>
>>33261850
Check out Blackhawk's desert boots. I've been using mine for about 3 years now with no issues, and I know plenty of others who use the same boots. I think they're listed under warrior wear or some stupid name, but they are hella comfy.
>>
Operators wear Merrel Moabs.
>>
>>33262043
I would absolutely love to, but that definitely wouldn't fly. Had a friend of mine get torn apart for getting a pair of tan rockies because he didn't deploy to Afghanistan. Then again they've trialed like 4 different boots since I joined 6 years ago so I might get away with it.
>>
>>33261850
Lowa?
>>
>>33262044
Those look solid.
>>
>>33262048
best boots beat me to it
>>
>>33262069
Lowa what?
>>
>>33262090
Combat obviously, comfiest boots I've owned.
>>
>>33262096
Thank you for the suggestion.
>>
>>33262048
>>33262088
UK here, do US militaries honestly let regular grunts wear hiking boots on exercise etc? Excluding tours, if you don't wear issued your boots need to be black and shin high.
>>
>>33262107
Wait if you're US i'm not sure you can even get them there. In the British army if people aren't wearing issued boots it's either Magnums or Lowas
>>
>>33261850
Irish Setters are good boots.
>>
>>33262122
Canadian m8. Would you say the Magnum would be comparable to Lowas?
>>
Asking for opinions on boots is pretty much worthless except for the topic of durability. Everyone's feet are so different that the best boot for one guy will be the worst boot for another. And there's no fucking way to tell at the store if they are worth a shit.

I can't tell if I have winners until after they are broke in and have several trips to their name.

You're gonna spend some cheddar finding the right boots for you but it is what it is.
>>
>>33262133
Personally i think Lowas are better and their price reflects that, but magnums would be my second choice after Lowas. I have a feeling Lowas aren't cheap in NA, mine were £200 odd and that's domestic.
>>
>>33262127
They are better in field use than more expensive Red Wings that get absolutely destroyed innawoods. I bought a pair of 877s and they couldn't handle winter at all even if I maintained them constanly.
Red Wings are just hipster shit for posing in the city.

Generic military boot #123 takes a little bit of shoeshine and just works.
>>
Hiking type boots are the best period. There is a reason why operators swear by them.
>>
>>33262154
Yeah, I'd be looking at upwards to $300-$400 Canadian. I don't doubt that they're worth it, but that's a little steep for me right now. I'll check out the magnums a little more.
>>
>>33262145
Valid point. Again, boots I have been using are pretty bad on knees/ankles/feet, just not great in general, just looking for a suggestion in the right direction.
>>
One tip I can give you is that if you want to make a marginal boot a good boot and a good boot a great boot get some motherfucking Superfeet insoles.

I've been using the green for years and they are the tits. They recently came out with a more inexpensive version they call the "Trail" and after a few trips with them they work just as good for me as the greens.
>>
>>33262110
Probably all dependent on your company's brass. I remember guys wearing the goretex moabs as long as they were dark brown. This was during the time the Army was experimenting with the Danner combat hikers though. Probably no go now.
>>
>>33261850
Wear your goddamn boots as often as you can.

That, and also go barefoot as often as you can.

If you're going to Costco wear your boots to help break them in. If you are going to 7/11, wear your boots to break them in. If you are walking your battlebuddy, wear your boots.

Then in the summer try to go barefoot as much as you can. In the backyard, always go barefoot, if you are going to the park, take off your shoes and go barefoot.

Also, when you wash your wool socks, wash them and then let them air dry/hang them out to dry. The heat from the dryer will ruin the elastics and fit of them, which increases folding and other issues that can give you hot spots and blisters.

Wearing your boots as often as possible will show you where hot spots form, so you can adjust. If you are inna situation where you need your boots, you don't want to be breaking them in and you don't want to be trying to change around the position of your foot in your boot to avoid hotspots.

Also, legend has it that putting rubbing alcohol on the bottom of your feet helps with toughening up your feet by drying them out. Do this 3X a week max.
>>
1st choice Lowa Z6s.
2nd choice Lowa Zephyr mid

Shell out the extra monies for the GTX version of either boot if you want Gore-Tex.
>>
>>33262432
Also, Irish setter boots are fucking GOAT. The only reason why I have a second pair is because I literally grew out of them.

As long as you aren't required by Battalion/Militia standards to blouse your boots, Irish setter is what I recommend for everyone.
>>
>>33262574
Too heavy and grandpas materials
>>
>>33262638
Learn to train with the weight of the boots. I would much rather have good boots that are heavy than have shit chicom boots will fall apart or fuck up my feet that are light.

Irish Setter red wing boots are not grandfather materials.
>>
Buteks or Bootex Cobras, comfy and aesthetic
>>
File: 1489152884125.jpg (115KB, 989x700px) Image search: [Google]
1489152884125.jpg
115KB, 989x700px
>>33261850
Grow a pair, OP, real men don't need any fancy gear.
>>
>>33262959
>no sexy shorts
>>
File: selection.jpg (76KB, 450x304px)
selection.jpg
76KB, 450x304px
>>33263068
Short shorts are for special occasions.
>>
>>33261850
If you want good ankle support and sturdy boots I personally recommend Rocky S2Vs.
Hard to get your foot in em, but they fit like a glove
>>
>>33261955
Nike's dont last very long in the field. They are more for office work or gate guards. Theyre lightweight no doubt, but flimsy
>>
>>33264459
That's the sort of impression I had
>>
File: prDSEJYaVs4.jpg (172KB, 1200x900px)
prDSEJYaVs4.jpg
172KB, 1200x900px
Is like I always say, Ivan. Only Adidas shoe matchs Adidas tracksuit.
>>
>>33262044
I've had blackhawks recommended to me before too
>>
>>33262432
I've dryer ran my wool socks and they're still comfortable. I think you forgot about liners for wool socks though. I've noticed after a couple days fo use they can get pretty damn smelly.
>>
>>33262190
red wings aren't meant for innawoods.
they're an intermediate. good for concrete, warehouse, maybe working on a farm. They're not advertised as heavy duty shit kickers.
>>
Haix for walking Altbergs for running, your situation I'd go Haix
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.