[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Timer Mauser: Good or Bad Idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: product_thumb.jpg (23KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
product_thumb.jpg
23KB, 240x160px
I'm looking into getting into guns as a hobby, and online this just keeps coming up again and again. Want to know if this'd be a good deal, or a clusterfuck waiting to happen, as it's so cheap it's hard to pass up, and it's a historical bolt-action military rifle.
http://www.jgsales.com/spanish-1916-mauser-bolt-action-short-rifle,-7x57,-good,-used.-p-80642.html
Pic related.
>>
File: 1489106435669m.jpg (76KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
1489106435669m.jpg
76KB, 1024x614px
>>33257841
Ammo is a bit hard to find. I reload. It is great for plinking and hunting. 1 warning.DO NOT MAKE IT INTO A BIGGER CALIBER. DO NOT CHANGE ITS CALIBER.
>>
>>33257869
Wasn't planning to. I know the ammo is also... not the cheapest. There's the one that's chambered in .308 Winchester that's also in stock, so would that be a good or bad idea? It's about $20 more.
>>
>>33257908
No. No. No. .308 will kill all Spanish Mausers. 7.62x57 isthe only choice.
>>
>>33257841
7x57 isn't the easiest caliber to find, for your first rifle I'd look elsewhere
>>
>>33258094
.308 Mausers are bad juju, got it. Thanks.
>>
>>33258115
I'm also looking elsewhere to a lot of different sources. Mosins for obvious reasons. Also there are a fair amount of inexpensive (sub $175) 22LR rifles in stock around town. It's really a debate as to which I save for.
>>
>>33258117
.308 is what I meant by don't change calibers. Save up a bit more anon. M48s are cheapish.
>>
>>33257841
Don't buy milsurp as your first gun. Get a 22 or an AR.
>>
>>33258153
AK > AR for new gun owners.
Easier maintenance for new owners
>>
>>33258094

citation needed
>>
>>33258173
No.

Also, any AK worth owning is 2x the price of an AR now.
>>
>>33258200
OP. The Zastava-built AKs with the Eastern Bloc aesthetic seemed to be roughly the same price as the lower-end ARs. Realistically, if I'd be getting a military-style gun, it'd probably be a Finn Mosin first, due to cheap.
>>
go with something that makes you drool OP. half the fun of owning a gun is admiring its craftsmanship. 22s are fun and all and if you're completely new, it might be a good idea to learn how to aim without having to worry about recoil.
>>
>>33258229
Thanks. Drooling for me is Eastern Bloc stuff that is in good shape, and wooden furniture rifles in general. Thanks everyone, I got what I wanted to know from the thread.
>>
>>33258129
I got a Mosin as my first firearm. Feel free to go for it if that's what you want.

Cheap surplus ammo is gone, but there's a decent variety of commercial 7.62x54R.
>>
>>33257841
I bought one. A few people have gotten ones that were in unusable shape, but most people are happy. Mine seems to be typical - it came in kinds rough cosmetic shape, but the chamber, bore, bolt, and trigger are all actually really nice. I paid my local FFL fifty bucks to give it a thorough cleaning and inspection, and now it looks pretty good. T give you an idea what you can do with one if you put a little effort into it, watch this video. This guy did a full restore and refinish on one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-1uf4SB6Y
>>
>>33258317
I really want to buy one just to de-rust it with my electrolysis tank and breathe new life into it. very tempted.
>>
File: wz48.jpg (78KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
wz48.jpg
78KB, 800x388px
>>33258129
>I'm also looking elsewhere to a lot of different sources. Mosins for obvious reasons. Also there are a fair amount of inexpensive (sub $175) 22LR rifles in stock around town. It's really a debate as to which I save for.
Or you could buy a milsurp .22lr Mosin. Those actually do exist, in the form of the WZ-48. I bought one of those, too, though mine's still in transit from Bud's.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-polish-wz-48-military-trainer/

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719004479/Firearms/Rifles/Other+Rifles/N%2APOLISH+WZ+48+22+LR+TRAINING
>>
>>33258340
In all honesty, start with the WZ-48. Shoot it a lot. Learn about guns inside and out from it. Then move up to something more complex and challenging. For the $196 that Bud's is charging for them, you can't go wrong.
>>
>>33258367
woah that's pretty awesome. I think maybe you just solved Ops problem.
>>
>>33258382
that's not OP you responded to, but I do agree
>>
>>33258367
That may have solved my problem even more. Baby Mosin to transfer to big Mosin. Cheap gun, cheap ammo, fun all round. Sounds like a plan.
>>
>>33258367
Shit, I should've gotten one of those in hindsight.
>>
>>33258502
You can have more than one gun in this country you know. ;^)
>>
>>33258173
Wrong
>>
>>33258094
>>33258117
>>33258182
This shit again? .308 is virtually the same as 7.62NATO. The idiots that spread this meme of the wildly higher pressures are just that, idiots.
>>
>>33258129
listen don't get a mosin, when they were sub $150 bucks they were barely worth the money then. Now you are better off spending a bit more money on a Yugo mauser or something similar. If you just want a bolt gun for sub $250 get a savage axis, if you really want a milsurp go for a mosin or an lee enfield.

If I had to give the guns a grade compared to modern standards, the mosin would maybe get a Low D, while a mauser will bea much better gun getting a B-.

Lets look at it this way, if a company put a rifle out today that had a god awful trigger, shit accuracy, uncommon round, crap sights, and a bolt that requires a jackhammer to open even while clean, they would lose all credibility. The only reasons mosins are still bought is because of "Muh history"
>>
>>33258220
>finn mosin
>cheap

kek
>>
>>33259057
>go for a mauser or a lee Enfield
sorry
>>
>>33259057
>Mosin
>uncommon round

certainly more common than 8mm or .303 British, bro
>>
>>33259076
certainly more uncommon than...uh... idk...308, 556, 30-06 etc
>>
>>33258317
Did you get the surplus ammo they had with it, I did and a lot of them seem like duds.
>>
>>33257841
just keep in mind surplus rifles tend to take some tweaking here and there, even when you buy them from reputable dealers. springs will be worn out, grease covered, things that were not visible at first will come out of the woodwork. chances are there will be some tinkering involved to get it shooting the way you want. also these dealers dont do safety checks so you will want to take the gun apart, check for problems like cracks in the stock lugs, wear in critical metal areas, headspace, etc.

and chances are those spanish mausers will not be tack drivers. and the condition will disappoint you, the spanish mausers are known to be in particularly ratty condition. yes nice examples exist, but the J&G ones you linked will be fairly beat.

that said im sure youll have no problem selling it for what you have into it, so if you dont like it just sell it and find something else
>>
>>33259057
>get a savage axis
Sure, get the bolt gun made with the cheapest materials in the least expensive way possible instead of a milsurp that was designed for military use and has historical value. Not to mention your 250 dollar Axis will be worth 250 dollars in 10 years, while milsurp will only increase in price.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.