[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bored. Photos from Past Conflicts Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 12

I'm bored, and not nearly drunk enough yet.

So I am just going to post various old military photos. The kicker?

I am going to try to actually provide some context to the photos I post. Shocking, for 4chan I know.

>Australian soldiers visit the Pyramids and the Sphinx during leave in 1918. Soldiers from various Australian Regiments visited the pyramids during 1918 while on recuperation leave from the Military Hospital in Alexandria, Egypt. The two wearing slouch hats were light-horsemen. The one in the lower left hand corner was Henry Faulkner, 12th Light Horse Regiment. He was injured during the massive Beersheba Offensive. During most of his service in the Middle East he was attached to General Allenby's personal staff.
>>
>>33256070
>COSTLY VISIT. Immediate explosion from a direct hit made be a B-26 Invader light bomber on a church containing high explosives for the Communists, is shown in this photo the second after the 452nd Light Bomb Wing's plane had dropped its bombs directly on target. Wonsan harbor on the east coast of Korea is shown in the background, while buildings of the military supply area in the foreground are shown damaged in previous strikes.
Date: ca. 03/1951
>>
>>33256094
>Soviet soldiers move through the trenches amongst the ruins during the Battle of Stalingrad. The German and Axis allied offensive to capture Stalingrad began on 12 September 1942 and ended on 2 February 1943. It is among the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare, with over two million killed and the entire city in ruins. The heavy losses inflicted on the Wehrmacht make it arguably the most strategically decisive battle of the whole war. It was a turning point in the European Theater of the war; the German forces never regained the initiative in the East and withdrew a vast military force from the West to reinforce their losses. Stalingrad (now Volgograd), Volgograd Oblast, Russia, Soviet Union. October 1942.
>>
>>33256113
>March 18. 1917: Steamship Illinois, tanker, gross 5,225 tons; sunk with bombs by German submarine (UC type) in the English Channel, 20 miles north of Alderney, Channel Islands; no casualties.

Going for a smoke, let me know if anyone is monitoring?
>>
>>33256134
>March 18. 1917: Steamship Illinois, tanker, gross 5,225 tons; sunk with bombs by German submarine (UC type) in the English Channel, 20 miles north of Alderney, Channel Islands; no casualties.

Meh, whatever. I'll keep at it for a little while.
>>
File: Messines Mines June 1917 COMMENT.jpg (1003KB, 2500x1816px) Image search: [Google]
Messines Mines June 1917 COMMENT.jpg
1003KB, 2500x1816px
>>33256213
Damnit, actual caption below.

>Khe Sanh, South Vietnam, April 12, 1971 - An American soldier, lighting a cigarette in front of his machine gun atop a vehicle, stands above a sign serving as testament to his battlefield beliefs.
Caption to pic related is below.
>Caused by the British, the crater resulted when the 19 mines they dug and placed underneath the German positions near Messines in West Flanders was detonated on 7 June 1917. A total of 10,000 soldiers were killed in the blast, amongst those casualties was nearly the entire 3rd Royal Bavarian Division.

In the history of man, the blast is considered to be the biggest non-nuclear explosion, and was heard in both Dublin and London.
>>
>>33256243
>The Japanese aircraft carrier Soryu maneuvers to avoid bombs dropped by Army Air Forces B-17 Flying Fortresses during the Battle of Midway, on June 4, 1942. (U.S. Navy)
>>
>>33256258
>The explosion of USS Mount Hood in Seeadler Harbor, Manus, Admiralty Islands 10 November 1944. The explosion was not due to enemy action; its cause has never been determined.
>>
>>33256303
>In preparation for the assault on Hill 532 (the peak of Nui Hoac Ridge), 1LT Larry Swank, the
1st Bn 6th Inf Artillery Liaison Officer (LNO) and former artillery forward observer (FO) for
A/1-6 Inf, called in an Americal Division Artillery time-on-target (TOT). Every artillery piece
(105mm & 155mm howitzers, and 8-in gun) that could reach the target were coordinated to
mass their fires on Hill 352. The 8-in guns fired delayed fuzes to explode below ground and
destroy enemy bunkers. Photo of the artillery TOT provided by Larry Swank.
>>
>>33256332
>A U.S. Navy medic comforts U.S. Army Pvt. J. B. Slagle aboard the U.S. Navy hospital ship USS Solace as he receives his painful daily dressing of wounds he sustained at the Battle of Okinawa while en route to Guam, Mariana Islands. May 1945.

Well, this is sad. Just going to let the thread die.
>>
File: 1st Marines 1951 COMMENT.jpg (320KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1st Marines 1951 COMMENT.jpg
320KB, 819x1024px
>>33256376
One last attempt to see if anyone cares.

>A young Marine finds a moment of quiet and solitude in which to offer up a prayer for the safety of himself and his comrades. Minutes later, the 1st Marine Division launched an offensive against entrenched communist troops. Ca. 1951
>>
File: 1488816929323.png (20KB, 882x119px) Image search: [Google]
1488816929323.png
20KB, 882x119px
>>33256113
Nice thread anon
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.