[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concealed Carry on Hike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: Fanny Carry.jpg (217KB, 1500x1256px) Image search: [Google]
Fanny Carry.jpg
217KB, 1500x1256px
Hey /k/, going hiking soon and will be buying an M&P9 Shield as a CCW. My issue is that for 25-30 miles of hiking over 3 days, and Inside Waistband holster will be very uncomfortable. This led me to search for a solution.

I'm considering something like pic related. It's got pretty good reviews on Amazon (if you search "concealed carry waist pack" it should be one of the first reviews), and for a smaller gun like the Shield it should work perfectly.

I don't want to get a chest holster, because I'd prefer to conceal carry. Any reason I shouldn't carry like this? All advice welcome. Thanks.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>33253367
First question: why won't you open carry on a hike?
>>
>>33253389
I'd just prefer to concealed carry. I'll be with two female family members who aren't super comfortable around firearms in the first place, and I don't want to attract negative attention from any other hikers.
>>
unless your local laws prohibit open carry, you should consider an owb open carry.
these fannypack-carry bags seem like a male equivalent to concealed carry purses: a really bad idea
>>
>>33253367
that's pretty neat, I'd like to get one. I wish I could get it in neon green or pink or some shit though, because I'd rather look like a hipster wearing a fanny pack ironically than some tacticool mall ninja who doesn't realize how retarded he looks
>>
>>33253404
Have fun being mauled I guess...
>>
>>33253407
>>33253464
In the reviews, several people have said you simply pull one tab to open the zippers and you have easy access to the pistol.

>The quick open pouch is excellent. You pull a tab and the zippers unzip and the pouch flies open making it easy to retrieve your firearm. Opening the pouch and retrieving your firearm can be done with one hand and is pretty fast as well. It's ambidextrous so us lefties can use this bag as well.
>>
>>33253367
On mobile so I'm not gonna dig up a link but Google Hill people gear and it's tacticall velcro holster to use in conjunction. Works the best of anything I have tried and will not be in the way of your packs hip straps.
>>
>>33253497
Is there an IWB solution that won't grind my skin off or soak my pistol with sweat over 8 hours of hiking per day? I'd gladly take it.

A leather holster will absorb sweat and smell terrible after just one day, not to mention it would get my pistol sweaty as well. A synthetic like Kydex is ok for regular everyday use, but is too inflexible for hiking.

Or am I wrong? If I am, please let me know. I'm fairly new to holsters. If there's a better solution than the waist pack, I'm all ears.
>>
>>33253367
>>33253404
You need to OPEN CARRY a .44 Magnum in a thigh holster and get a rifle pouch for your backpak, loaded with .300 Win Mag bolt-action or SCAR 17S, as a show of POWER!
>>
File: Snubby Kit Bag.jpg (316KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Snubby Kit Bag.jpg
316KB, 640x427px
>>33253523
Interesting, thanks for the tip anon. I'd kind of prefer to carry at the waist, though. Also, while my backpack has a waist strap, I will only be day hiking, so won't be carrying enough gear that I'll have to use it.

Also, not trying to knock your suggestion, but it looks kind of like a man bra.

Thanks for the genuine advice though. Appreciate it.
>>
>>33253542
>A synthetic like Kydex is ok for regular everyday use, but is too inflexible for hiking.
They make nylon/cordura holsters.

>soak my pistol with sweat over 8 hours of hiking per day?
Coat your gun with something like cerakote so you don't have to care.

>won't grind my skin off
lube (read: petrol jelly or similar) and/or a synthetic undershirt.

Also get your family members basic gun safety lessons and/or practice. In a realistic scenario where you need your gun on a hike it is possible to be disarmed, and your mates could save your life if they aren't incompetent.
tl;dr Oh shit a bobcat is on my face!
>>
File: safepk pb.jpg (4KB, 200x91px) Image search: [Google]
safepk pb.jpg
4KB, 200x91px
It's a good way to carry. Don't know about the pack you posted though.

Check out the Safepacker by Wilderness tactical. I have three for different sized guns, I like them.
>>
>>33253633
Nylon holster is a good tip. How is their lifetime vs a hard shell holster?

Unfortunately I don't have time to coat my pistol; we'll be heading out this Sunday. Otherwise, that's a good tip.

I'm not so sure about putting vaseline on myself to start the day. I feel like that would result in a pistol covered in a vaseline/sweat mix, and also the same for the holster. I think I would have to reapply also.

As far as getting my family more comfortable around guns, that's going to be an uphill battle. They're either not interested, complete fudds about guns, or they just hate them. Not enough time to get them acquainted with the trip coming up Sunday.
>>
>>33253652
Interesting! Looks like these have a lot of thought put into their design. I don't think I'd have time to get one shipped though, as Amazon or a LGS are my only options to get what I need as quick as Sunday.
>>
>>33253542
When I'm doing day hikes with just a backpack with no waist belt. I use a Remora IWB holster with the full sweat shield.

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/product/remora-iwb-inside-the-waistband-holster/

Multi day hikes with my full ruck I use a Hill People Gear runner's kit bag.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/2/Default.aspx
>>
>>33253700
>I feel like that would result in a pistol covered in a vaseline/sweat mix
It's a hydrocarbon and displaces water. Just let it happen and then clean and re-oil your gun at the end of the weekend.

>How is their lifetime vs a hard shell holster?
Finite. But that question is dependent upon if your gun can realistically cause glock leg, how stiff you like your holster, and how often you use it.

>Unfortunately I don't have time to coat my pistol
Well, ackchyually: https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Cerakote&page=1&rh=n%3A16310091

>and also the same for the holster.
So wash it. That's half the appeal of soft synthetics.
>>
>>33253803
That remora holster actually looks pretty good. Bookmarked for later, as unfortunately it won't arrive in time for Sunday. is it possible my LGS could carry a Remora holster?
>>33253806
Ok, that could work fine. Those Cerakote panels don't have Prime shipping option though, which is the only way I'll be able to get anything by Saturday, unless I can go to a gun store to do it?
>>
>>33253404
If they have a problem with open carry then they aren't worthy of your time or effort. Also, stop going into the woods with your 8 year old cousins, it's creepy.
>>
>>33253367
Taking your 4 and 6 year old sisters to the park across the street 3 days in a row doesn't constitute '25-30 miles of hiking over 3 days'.
>>
Low energy retard confirmed
>>
>>33254263
I'm pretty sure the Remora holsters are made to order. I've never seen one in a store. The full sweat shield works great though. I live in Alabama and it totally keeps my gun protected from my sweat when I'm exercising.
>>
>>33253700
>They're either not interested, complete fudds about guns, or they just hate them.
They must SUBMIT!
>>
>>33253404
Honestly, if an animal attacks you, you're probably not going to have much advanced notice. A drop leg is the best option for hiking, bar none. Don't let people dissuade you from proper methods of defense because it makes them uncomfortable. I would never OC in public, but innawoods is a very different situation.
>>
>>33254540
Safariland makes a 6004 for Glock 20; OP has no excuse!
>>
>>33254540
Key is to practice your draw no matter how you carry.

From my experience drop leg is terrible innawoods. First you gotta get one that doesn't hang too low, but even then it gets hung up on brush which is annoying as fuck. Most are open on the bottom which really sucks if you slip going down a hill and slide on that hip now your muzzle is full of shit(had this happen to me when I was testing a drop leg for innawoods).

Chest carry is best when you have a pack with a waist belt.

Waist (OC or IWB) is best if you have a pack without a waist belt.
>>
>>33254282
>>33254324
lol. They're 20 and 25.
>>33254345
Yeah, I looked into some reviews and people said they worked. Thanks for the tip, I'll probably get it as my regular IWB Holster.
>>33254540
>>33254597
If I was on my own I would, but they're liable to cancel the whole trip because they think I'm some bloodthirsty monster who wants to brandish his babykiller 9000. Hopefully 2 seconds to pull a pistol from a waist holster won't result in any of us hurt.
>>
>>33254639
>They're 20 and 25
As if that makes any difference. Women are basically just overgrown children - that's why they're naturally suited to childcare roles and naturally unsuited to practically anything else.
>>
>>33253367
Tommy's Gun Packs.

Best carry fannypack on the market.
>>
>>33255682
>Tommy's Gun Packs
Buckle system looks gimpy as hell. I prefer the pull tabs on the 5.11 bag. Since it's just for woods use IDGAF if it looks like a gun bag or not. Also the 5.11 bag isn't $100....
>>
File: 1482802277468.jpg (43KB, 720x802px) Image search: [Google]
1482802277468.jpg
43KB, 720x802px
>have a hill people gear snubby kit bag
>have no fucking idea how to work the straps to fit me

Is there any place that has instructions on how to do it? I'm literally a retard when it comes to this kind of shit.
>>
>>33253367
>CCW while /out/
Fucking retarded
That's the only time it's entirely, 100% acceptable to OC.
It's fuckinf retarded not to
>>
kinda related to this, ive been looking at the kel tech sub 2000 for a bit as a hunting-camping carbine. Anyone have any experience with it? my local gun shop has one in .40s&s for 370, should i grab it as soo as possible?
>>
>>33253633
>They make nylon/cordura holsters.
I carry nylon over my appendix.

If i'm sweating, it will smell like cock. I wash it regularly and actually use body spray on the thing.
>>
>>33253404
I OC my ptr when I go backpacking, other hikers and backpackers never have a problem with it.
>>
OP...if you're taking females on a 25 mile hike, they need to b understand there's no cops innawoods that will save them but you.

YOU NEED TO OPEN CARRY.

You're not gonna have time to unzip your fanny pouch and get your 6 round ccw before a bear mauls you or your gf. You need to OC a duty pistol.
>>
>>33253542
Fanny pack holsters arent bad at all as long as its durable
http://stealthgearusa.com/
The ventcore ones let you breathe through your holster
>>
>>33259177
Yeah. Get one in 9mm like an actually intelligent person.
>>
My normal carry piece is a SW bodyguard .380

I know this would be a useless woods/hiking pistol. Would a .45acp round stop a bear or cougar?
>1911 innawoods
>>
>>33253367
just carry it in a fanny pack dude

they have the whole "second kind of cool" factor
>>
>>33253367
Made this webbum a while back to demonstrate my draw time from a backpack to my brother. some backpacks have integrated holsters. This is what I use for hiking/backpacking. Much more comfortable than a conventional holster for extended hiking. Saves people the problems like >>33253542

Maxpedition has a whole line of bags advertised as CCW compatible. - http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CCW-Compatible-c75.htm

I just used this little Velcro slip holster for mine. - http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Sneak-Universal-Holster-Insert-with-Mag-Retention-134p1962.htm

And practice is key, like
>>33254636 said.
>>
>>33255747
>Buckle system looks gimpy as hell
It's really not
>>
>>33253523
>>33253582
I actually have one of their kit bags, I absolutely love it. I use it mostly for running but also for hiking. It's comfortable enough for me to conceal carry a full size handgun while trail running and I think it looks good.
>>
>>33260182

.357 mag and up for mountain lines or boar. I can't imagine needing to shoot a black bear, but you'll need something hotter.

.45 is still better than nothing though.
>>
File: 1477279229501.jpg (61KB, 682x465px) Image search: [Google]
1477279229501.jpg
61KB, 682x465px
>>33253389
>>33254540
>>33257225
>>33259651

Why do y'all assume that OC'ing is legal if he's going on a hike? I could be in a really big park in a really blue state. Have I missed something?
>>
File: 1436149878051.jpg (55KB, 598x370px) Image search: [Google]
1436149878051.jpg
55KB, 598x370px
>>33264249
>>33253389
>First question: why won't you open carry on a hike?
>>33253404
>I'd just prefer to concealed carry. I'll be with two female family members who aren't super comfortable around firearms in the first place, and I don't want to attract negative attention from any other hikers.
>>
>>33253367
Don't carry. You are going for a walk in the woods with zero hunting, you don't need a weapon.
>>
>>33264249
You can open carry in national parks, though you don't need to in 99% of them this time of year. A person can walk the whole Appalachian Trail without running into anything worth shooting.
>>
>>33265839
This is exactly what people who get murdered in the woods say.
>>
>>33265886
You are more likely to get murdered driving a car in a city then camping in a national park. Unless you won't leave your house to buy a cup of coffee without carrying it doesn't make any sense to carry a gun to go hiking.
>>
>>33253367
Voodoo tactical makes a good "discreet" faggot pack. I used to wear it while running and it held up pretty well.

I had an LC9s in it which fit pretty well. I could fit my FNS9 in there too.
>>
>>33260433
Off-body carry isn't any less retarded just because it's a backpack instead of a purse.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.