[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

Hi /k/, I'm a little freaked out right now, and I need some advice

I listed a Nagant revolver for $525. I started talking with a guy who seemed very interested. He sent me a check, all is well

Except the check is for fucking $1480!!! FAR above what I asked for.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun. Unfired 1926 model with threaded barrel. But why would someone send me significantly more money?

Could something bad be happening? What are the ramifications of cashing this check? I'm certain it's not an error, he said he would add slightly more. I didn't know it would be this much. Help.
>>
>>33250102
Nothing bad could happen. If he gets butt blasted about it and you don't feel like being a "too bad, faggot" kind of guy, then you can just go withdraw the amount he wants back and give it to him in a check of your own, or in cash. He fucked up the check, it's not your fault for taking it.
>>
File: 1480772129931.png (181KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1480772129931.png
181KB, 625x626px
play stupid games
>>
>>33250125
To add, if you're worried about spaghetti in your pockets if he contacts you all pissed off about you can just say, "Oh, I'm sorry man. I never looked at the check when you gave it to me and I deposited it, just trusted you wouldn't screw me. My bad, I'll go get the amount you need back."

Also, make sure it's actually addressed to you and it's not a check for a bill or something that he gave to you by accident. If it has your name on it, proceed. You will not be breaking any laws.
>>
Could be a scam. He'll ask for the difference back in a check, then the one he sent you bounces
>>
>>33250153
this
>>
>>33250102
He's scamming you, the check will bounce. Cash, USPS money order, or bank check issued in front of you at the financial institution only. Everything else can be faked easily.
>>
>>33250153
/thread
>>
>>33250153
Fuck, good point. Make sure check is solid before proceeding with transaction, OP. Make sure you have his information.
>>
It's a scam. Very common scam on Armslist
>>
>>33250163
So should I not cash the check at all? Wat do? Check seems very legit and has my name printed on it
>>
>>33250102
Was the guy who sent you a check a Nigerian prince by chance?
>>
>>33250153
this.

a buddy of mine is trying to sell his rims and people have been trying to scam him this way literally 3 times.

dont ever accept checks for anything. the bank will fuck you when it bounces.

take it to your bank and tell them you think this is a fraudulent check and ask them to try and get the FBI involved.
>>
>>33250125
>>33250142
Ignore these, others are right. Fucker is most likely scamming you. Refuse the check, demand cash.
>>
>>33250102
>accepting personal checks
are you fucking retarded

your contract (verbal or otherwise) is for the amount you guys specified. not giving him change is tantamount to theft. if you do give him change he will bounce the check and scam you.
>>
>>33250178
tell him that you ripped up the check and tell him that you only accept paypal
>>
>Not depositing the check, waiting several days for it to clear, and then sending the firearm.
But yeah, it's most likely a scam and the check won't clear.
>>
File: 101297751-76491916r.530x298.jpg (32KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
101297751-76491916r.530x298.jpg
32KB, 530x298px
Scam. Pic relevant.
>>
>>33250102
Talk to him about it and see what he says
>>
File: 1487020680293.gif (567KB, 300x456px) Image search: [Google]
1487020680293.gif
567KB, 300x456px
Should I refuse the check, or cash it and wait 2 weeks?
>>
>>33250153

This is a common scam in my country. Usually happens in more pricey scams like car purchases, but if he does this right he scores 2k.
>>
>>33250206
>directly violate paypal terms of service
>expect paypal to side with you during dispute
ishiggitydy
>>
>>33250307
Don't cash the check. Deposit it.
>Kids these days don't know the difference.
>>
The ops writing style screams bait yet

>>33250307
I wouldn't even waste the time.

Why the fuck would someone pay nearly 3 times the listed price for something? Out of the goodness of his heart?
>>
>>33250307
DO NOT deposit the check.

Tell him he is full of shit and you'll sell the firearm to someone who isn't a scammer.
>>
Euro here, since we do this use checks my question may sound dumb but: if he tries tries scam OP and OP sends him back tries he difference -wouldn't that leave the address as a trace for the cops?
>>
What bank is the check from? If it's one local to you, you can go to the bank and ask them to tell you if the account has sufficient funds and cash it there.
>>
>>33250102
Unless the check has something along the lines of "for 1895 Nagant Revolver" or "for handgun" it is a generic negotiable instrument, just like cash. He can demand the difference back, just like when you give the cashier $20 for a $10 order.

The big thing is if he wrote a note explaining it is for the revolver, it is an addendum to the contract you already have with him and by cashing it you are accepting his addendum.

The thing is, OP, you really should contact the buyer and see if it was a mistake on his part. It is the honest thing to do.
>>
>>33250385
The address to which the bank account from which the check is from will belong to either:

>someone entirely unconnected to the scammer

>a senile 90 year old probably unrelated to the scammer, horribly confused at the situation and possibly not even alive

>the scammers friends friends bitch on the side who will earn a carton of cigarettes for her role in the scam

>any of the above but it will have been done by Russians in a small town in Estonia or some shit like that

And none of this matters because odds are the cops won't really give a fuck over a $1,000 crime that is likely across state lines, if not international.
The people running these scams (the ones getting real money off of it) usually do a decent job of insulating themselves with dumbass hoodrats who do the footwork of using stolen cc number faked credit cards/putting skimmers on gas station pumps/this fake check then send money back scams.

Occasionally some idiot does something like this out of his house using his real address. They get away with it for a few months before getting buttfucked by the FBI.
>>
is it a cashier's check?

source:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cashier's_check
Cashier's check
A cashier's check or cheque is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds and signed by a cashier. Cashier's checks are treated as guaranteed funds because the bank, rather than the purchaser, is responsible for paying the amount. They are commonly required for real estate and brokerage transactions.

>>33250188
is right, get your bank involved and ask questions. law enforcement can be added later.
>>
I believe YOU are responsible for cashing a bad check. I wouldn't do it. In fact, don't deal with checks from anyone but your employer. It's 2017, mang.
>>
File: IMG_20170309_095816.jpg (611KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170309_095816.jpg
611KB, 1440x2560px
OP Here, here's a screenshot.

I'm gonna rip up the check I think.
>>
>>33250125
You're an idiot if you believe this. It is Craigslist scam 101. Fake check, get you to cash it and give them the difference, and then when it bounces you owe the bank the whole amount.
>>
>>33250102
See >>33250153
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam
>not only falling for a scam, but for THE scam
>>
>>33250733
>that broken English
>giving you an extra $955 for """"""shipping fees"""""""

If you cash that check, you deserve all the bad things that follow.
>>
>>33250733
This is a straight up scam nigga how can you be this dumb holy fuck what are you doing call him a fag and burn it.
>>
>>33250733
Wow. This could not possibly scream "scam" any louder. Holy shit.

Rip up the fucking check and move on.
>>
>>33250102
Don't do it. It's a scam, it's happened to me before.
>>
>>33250733
Yeah rip up the check buddy. I'm sorry but he's trying to fuck you over.
>>
>>33250102
it's a fake check. exact same amount I recieved from a bad cashier's check. Call the bank listed.
Zion national?
>>
>>33252201
>Bad cashier's check
>Zion National
>Zion
I think I know what happened here
>>
>>33252201
Chase
>>
File: 1488246672915.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488246672915.gif
1MB, 300x300px
Any ideas on how to troll this scammer?
>>
>>33250260
This doesn't work either. They could have kited the checks and written a string of bad checks to pump up a fake account and then used that accounts fake balance to write this check. It can take a few days for the bank to catch up but it will bounce eventually.
>>
>>33252404
>call the FBI
>>
Jesus you guys are stupid. Same thing happened to this girl at work, she showed me the check and it's obviously fake as fuck.

Post a photo of the check, OP, you idiot. And why the fuck are you selling a hand nugget for $500+??
>>
OP you are a fucking retard. Deposit the check and give him the difference. Trust me it's for the best.
>>
>>33250102
It's a scam. He probably knew he could scam you because you're a fucking retarded bubba.
>>
Haha, someone tried this shit on craigslist for some rims im selling, i lead him on for a few days then sent him a picture of a dick with a dildo in the pisshole then he CALLED ME A SCAMMER. Fuckin dipshits man.
>>
>>33253431
>And why the fuck are you selling a hand nugget for $500+??
Just like any other bubba who thinks that putting their plastic stock and $20 scope on their SKS makes it some super duper expensive sniper rifle, when in fact you just ruined a collectable.
>>
>>33252404
>String him along and then say you cashed the check and want to meet him.
>have him show up while you watch from a vantage point
>have him do weird shit like jump around or something, say you can't find him
>he won't leave because he thinks you've got his money
>shoot him in the face from far away

He'll never see it coming
>>
>>33250153
this is what is happening. your bank will "deposit" the check from him and make the funds available, then days or even a week later will pull the funds from your account even though you've already send him the difference.
SCAM!
>>
>>33253591
This guy has got it figured out
Do this
>>
>>33250188

You actually want secret service. They're the ones who deal with fraduent checks and shit. Even a link for it on their website
>>
>>33250153
FUCKING THISSSSSSS. NEVER EVER TAKE A PERSONAL CHECK UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE AT A BANK VERIFY FUNDS IN THEIR ACCOUNT.
>>
Jesus! make sure its clears before he touches your gun.
>>
>>33250102
Retardation aside, how's the trigger on these?
>>
>>33254762
god awful
>>
File: ~aqua~01.png (451KB, 810x688px) Image search: [Google]
~aqua~01.png
451KB, 810x688px
I think the real scam is OP listing a nagant revolver for over 500 bucks
>>
>>33250733
This nigger is Nigerian as fuck
>>
void the check and mail it back to him
say you're not comfortable accepting a check that much over asking

accept some other payment that isn't so scammable if he wants to
if he tries to send another check, find another buyer

also
>1926
>unfired
where did you find an "unfired" 1926 Nagant?
>>
>>33250102
https://www.google.com/search?q=Check+Overpayment+Scam
>>
>>33250153
THIS

However, this can be avoided if you just wait for the check to clear first

You havent sent the gun yet, right?

If it bounces, tell him to fuck off

If it clears, you can keep the money. But if he asks for the difference bwck AFTER IT CLEARS, i would give it to him out of courtesy. But ONLY after you're 100% sure the money transferred
>>
>>33250102
Dude, the same shit happened to me.

DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK.

Its a fake check, they will contact you as soon as you cash it and demand the extra money they gave you to be sent with the item you sold.

2 weeks later your bank contacts you stating that you cashed a bad check and the typical fine for such is between 5,000 and 10,000 dollars.

The con gets away with $500 bucks and a free pistol and you are stuck paying the bank fees.
>>
>>33250102
Fake check don't do, take check to police. But odds are, depending on the state, unless you are sending the gun to an for what you are doing is illegal
>>
>>33254937
FINALLY
>>
File: 20170309_185309.jpg (1MB, 2140x842px) Image search: [Google]
20170309_185309.jpg
1MB, 2140x842px
Did the "check" look something like this.

I had somebody on armslist try to pull the same scam on me a week ago.
>>
>>33255441
lol I can't believe it took 50 something posts to say it either
>>
>>33255488
someone point out what's fake in that because it looks real to me
>>
File: 1489111856614775387243.jpg (1MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1489111856614775387243.jpg
1MB, 2160x2160px
>>33255512
Try to find a bank just generically named "state employees credit union"

It doesnt exist, state employee credit unions place the states name in there somewhere.

Next is this telltale fine print pictured here which if googled, will take you to a website that sells custom check printing supplies. A cashier check from a real bank will not be printed off by some "custom check service".

The best way to check is to contact the bank the check says its from and they can tell you if its legit, and if the person sending it actually posesses the funds to validate it.

They will ask you to read the check number, routing number, and account number to them and they will confirm that its legit or not.

In this case the bank its supposedly from doesnt exist.
>>
>>33254937

Was gonna say... How can you honestly expect someone to buy one at that price and it NOT be a scam?
>>
>>33250102
Its a common scam.
You put the cheque into your bank.
He asks you to send him back the excess.
Then his cheque bounces
>yours doesnt

Just send the cheque back.
>>
>>33250178
>Check seems very legit and has my name printed on it

>Being this derp
>>
>>33250102

It's a scam OP, do not cash the check

just google "check scams" and you will find this is an old one
>>
>>33250733

his english is not even very good
>>
>>33255398

if it bounces anon will get hit with a check bounce fee.
>>
>>33255512

Cashiers Checks are drawn from the bank itself. They are usually also crossed. (you can only deposit the funds, not cash the check)
>>
>>33252404
you string him on and get him to do stupid things and take photos for you. as long as you keep him believing that you're going to send the gun and the money it'll keep going til you say stop. you can even go as far as sending him a couple of fake tracking numbers followed by one actual tracking number at the slowest shipping speed possible with nothing in it. whenever you finally do feel like ending it get him on the phone, play along, a little, and then tell him the jig is up. he'll most likely start screaming at you in half-english, half whatever his mother tongue is.
>>
Ive always sent a money order i get at the post office for stuff i get online. Is that a generally safe way to go about it or is there a better option?

Not op, just a young guy whos never really used cheques.
>>
>>33259217

Paypal is unbeatable in my experience. Near instant transaction, and documentation is flamethrower proof. As long as you do legit business they are king.
>>
>>33260140
Until your buyer decides he doesn't want to pay for an item and says you misrepresentated it.

Paypal always sides with the buyer.
>>
>>33260140
>>33261964
Paypal is also anti-gun
>>
>>33255488
>>33255704
>>33255512

He took a shitty fucking photo of the check so yeah, it could look legit here. The check is actually all sorts of fucked up and any idiot over the age of 12 could deduce it's fake in less than a minute.
>>
>>33262079

You could be right. What is your preferred payment method? Usually the biggest problem for me is that the goods I want to buy are rarely in my own country and many sellers don't want to the hassle with int shipping and potential export or import issues.
>>
>>33255512
Have you never had a real cashier's check before?

They incorporate all kinds of security features not seen on normal checks. That thing there looks retarded. Even the 00 cents looks like two O's.
>>
>>33264810
I AM right. Paypal quote "prohibits transactions involving firearms, firearms ckmponents, and certain firearms accessories. Any accounts found in violation of this policy will be blocked."

Guys who had good amounts of money stored on paypal who didnt know this have had their accounts frozen and had to go through much tooth pulling to get it back.
>>
>>33250102
OP its faggots like you in oregon that are jacking up the prices here in evergreen. ITS A FUCKING BUBBA HAND NUGGET! keep the fucking gun or sell it for a real price
>>
>>33250102
>nagant revolver
>525
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>33269720
>>33254937
>>33255441
>>33255503
>/k/ crying about capitalism
Get fucked, commies!
>>
>>33250733

lol. tell that scammer to get fucked.
>>
>>33271437
>capitalism
>list price far above market price
>only scammers go for it with their counter-scam
Assblasted
>>
>>33267626
>Telling PayPal what you sold
>Not just having it as an unnamed transfer
>Not pulling that money as soon as it clears into your regular bank account
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.