[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can one vehicle have so much stupid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: L-ATV_34.jpg (1MB, 2600x1672px) Image search: [Google]
L-ATV_34.jpg
1MB, 2600x1672px
>giant doors for no reason
>2 doors on each side for no reason
>big ass windows
>requirements were basically a VAB, Pirahna II, Vodnik, or BTR 60
>ignore all lessons learned building those vehicles
>Trying to build APC version of SUV
>Designing a $500 000 replacement for a $100 000 SUV
>>
>>33249845
MRAP is useful in some situations
>>
>>33249845
It's like you never were deployed to a country infested with IEDs
>>
>>33249859
>>33249867
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Light_Tactical_Vehicle
It's a completely different program, they're scrapping most of the MRAPs because they're absolute trash
$500 000 vehicles built a few years ago not worth $10 000 to ship
>>
>>33249859
>BRAP
ftfy
>>
>>33249845

Seems like the goal was to build a small utility vehicle that would be more resistant to IED's and ambushes. Seems like it fits the job description.
>>
>>33249845
>doors-what are they for
>>
>>33249870
Idk what you are smoking, but M-ATVs are god-tier when they work. Shit saved some guys in my company on our 11-12 deployment.
>>
File: Halo-4-Warthog-Forza-4-280x170.jpg (67KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
Halo-4-Warthog-Forza-4-280x170.jpg
67KB, 1200x676px
>>33249845
This is just the progenitor to Halo Warthogs.
>>
>>33249946
nice space itv growler, nerd
>>
>>33249870
they're worth shipping.

the miltary industrial complex doesn't want us to. so that we have to buy new armored vehicles.

we left hundreds of M113 in Kuwait during the Iraq war. We had soldiers welding scrap sheet steel to vehicles to have armor and still all those APCs sat.
>>
>>33249948
Growler,lel

can't use it in combat because no armor.

too dangerous to use as an errand vehicle in garrison.

cost a million a piece if you got it with the towed mortar.
>>
>>33249964
you left thousands of MRAP and Humvees in astan and iraq, too
>>
>>33249845
good thing we'll be using the same hmmwvs til like 2030 and any valid replacement will trickle in so slowly it wont even go noticed as a replacement to the hmmwv
>>
>>33249845

There's so much stupid in this, I can't tell if you're actually serious or just a really good troll.
>>
>>33249845
Go home you drunk muzhik
>>
>>33249964
It's only pork when it's not your district
>>
File: tmgjS8g.gif (574KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tmgjS8g.gif
574KB, 500x281px
>>33249845
>giant doors
Maybe if you're a fucking hobbit.
Other than, ya know, for a four-five man fireteam to be able to exit the vehicle without hobbling over each other. Kinda the reason most cars and trucks are designed that way.
>big ass windows
I guess you also hate peripheral vision.
>requirements were basically a VAB, Pirahna II, Vodnik, or BTR 60
Except they weren't.
>ignore all lessons learned building those vehicles
Being?
>Trying to build APC version of SUV
Not really.
>Designing a $500 000 replacement for a $100 000 SUV
Because the previous Humvee was shit. Also current cost for a uparmored Humvee is $220,000 (if not more), while the cost of JLTV is $433,539.

2.3/10 made me reply.
>>
>>33249845
Godfather for the last time you cant strongpoint a city with recon humvees
>>
File: 1418894208-m113-gavin.jpg (142KB, 695x596px) Image search: [Google]
1418894208-m113-gavin.jpg
142KB, 695x596px
>>33249870

10k probably isn't enough for shipping and given that those vehicles have been there for years in relatively heavy use with limited options for depot level maintenance those require on regular bases, some of those are in pretty shitty condition.

>>33249964

It isn't really about shipping in most cases, it might be in case of individual worn out vehicles. The thing with MRAP is that there isn't uniform fleet of those in US-military inventory, shipping costs is just an excuse for eliminating lot of redundant models to make logistics easier and cheaper. MRAPs were bought in panic buying spree due to ambushes and IEDs in Iraq starting to inflict too many casualties. They basically bought all kinds of MRAPs that were available, result was a fuckload of different models.

As result they are selling models they don't want to keep cheaply to allies or giving 'em away as military aid.

>we left hundreds of M113 in Kuwait during the Iraq war.

Back then US-military had a lot more M113s than they had requirement for.

>>33249973
>Growler,lel
>can't use it in combat because no armor.
>too dangerous to use as an errand vehicle in garrison.
>cost a million a piece if you got it with the towed mortar.

This is probably the most fucked up US military procurement project in recent history.

Also the one time Sparky was right about something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PBA6j87NkI
>>
>>33249870
"JLTV" redirects here. For the North American religious television station, see Jewish Life Television.

Always the jews
>>
>>33249845
It needs to replace the Humvee for combat operations. Humvee is too vulnerable. MRAPs lacked the mobility and there were too many different kinds of them. Going with the JLTV was the best decision they made.
>>
>>33249845
contract loser detected.

Osh Kosh makes a fine vehicle.
>>
Is the MATV kill or is it still going to live on for export contracts? That was cool as shit too.
>>
>>33249845
Wait. What else would work here? Giant ramp? Tank hatches?
>>
>>33249867
This.

Matv are pretty boss especially in Afghan. Whoever the op is is an idiot autist that has never been deployed a day in his pathetic life.
>>
File: Totally necessary.jpg (76KB, 597x352px) Image search: [Google]
Totally necessary.jpg
76KB, 597x352px
>>33249845
Because the middle east is saturated with RPG-7s and other anti-armor weapons. It'll take out a BTR-60 or Stryker as easily as something cheaper, smaller, lighter, faster, and infinitely more agile and flexible.

Protect from small arms fire and lighter road IEDs. Does that job? Good to go.
>>
I find the mental state of someone who question the point of windows or doors on a vehicles to be....interesting, if nothing else
>>
>>33251989
I'd rather have badass IED resistant vehicles in the hands of Elmer Fudd Podunk PDs than being handed over to pieces of shit who worship a pedophile anyday desu.

Shit just might come in handy one day and if you're realistic about it the PDs that have them don't use them for anything but parades. I think we have 3 and that's the only time they move.
>>
>>33252277
>I'd rather have badass IED resistant vehicles in the hands of Elmer Fudd Podunk PDs than being handed over to pieces of shit who worship a pedophile anyday desu.

This, all the swat departments around the world have been using armored vehicles since forever, no problem with that.

The problem is when you have said swat teams running around serving "no knock" warrants to potheads...
>>
>JLTV competing against Hawkei in Australia
>One test is beach deployment
>JLTV breaks down
>Has to get towed by a Bushmaster

Can anyone provide a single reason why the JLTV is better than the Hawkei?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.