[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sub-$25 Knife

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

I'm looking for the best knife at a $25 price limit. That's the only requirement. What do you think of pic related by CRKT?
>>
most knives under 25 bucks are shit.there is not best in that category.buy ganzo.
>>
>>33245892
CRKT and OKC are excellent knives to be had for under $25.
>>
>>33245859
Morakniv
>>
>>33245859
Crkt is good quality, but unless you have a solid plan to carry and use a tiny knife with no clip on the sheath then just get one of their folders.

>t. someone who has one but doesn't know how to cary it
>>
>>33246107
It looks like it comes with a clip, but maybe you have to install it.
>>
>>33245859
Cold Steel's Outdoorsman Lite and Tanto Lite are both really nice knives in that price range. Big 5 frequently has H&K's rebadged Benchmade folders on sale for $20, and those are really nice, too. You also can't go wrong with a Mora.
>>
Get an Ontario Rat 1. It's a good folder.
>>
>>33245946
i will admit the rat ones are good knives but crkt is a whole other story.
>>
That knife is kind of a meme just get a m16 or rat 1/2.

Crkt is a decent brand.
>>
>>33245859
Can't beat a good morakniv in that price range.
>>
>>33245859

unlike most posters here, I actually have pic related, and I don't like it.

The finger grooves are too deep, and don't feel very comfortable. Incidentally, the wharncliffe version is slightly different, and a lot more comfortable. Also a more useful blade shape for being such a small knife.

If you want a blade with a belly, around 2.3'' long, with low weight, and under $25, you're better off getting a mora eldris - it has a MUCH better handle, 12c27 is much better than the 5cr13mov the crkt minimalist uses.

only downside is that the eldris is more bulky if you want to wear it under your shirt.

TL:DR

get a mora eldris. Failing that, crkt minimalist wharncliffe (not bowie), or look up mountaintoptradingco.com for some really neat, 1/16'' stock, 1095 knives patterned after late 18th century trade knives (around 20-25 bucks, but you'll need to buy a sheath separately, also check trackofthewolf.com)
>>
File: frenchie.jpg (233KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
frenchie.jpg
233KB, 1024x576px
>>33247952
pic related is a $25 trade knife, 1/16'' thick spine, 1095 steel, curly maple handles, excellent slicer.
>>
>>33247970
Looks comfy AF, Where do get?
>>
File: belt_knife.jpg (24KB, 600x164px) Image search: [Google]
belt_knife.jpg
24KB, 600x164px
>>33247952
I've been carrying this little interpretation of the Folts Minimalist for about 4 years, since I carved it out of some 01 steel 1/8" x 1" and heat treated (badly, but it worked) and scaled it. Thing is tough as nails, does a bunch of cuts on whatever little stuff every day, doesn't scare anyone because it's tiny. The bulb on the back end of the grip was my main change from Folts' design. I liked the bulb grip on the Shivworks Clinch Pick but wasn't after the whole stabby mcstabby thing, just wanted a decent little working knife for around the shop and house and whatever. It's very controllable in this configuration. The extra finger groove in the original just doesn't seem right to me, like you say, too deep and uncomfortable.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33246326
Seconded. Had pic related for 3 years.
>>
>>33247984

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/464/1

or

http://mountaintoptradingco.com/index2.htm
>>
>>33248009

I'm at work right now, If you really want to, I can get a side-by-side of the crkt minimalist bowie and wharncliffe - there's a difference in the handle.
>>
>>33247970
I understand that there are different grades of steel, I've even taken a class on them. But what are good alloys to have a knife made out of? I'm supposing there is some trade off for certain alloys. Like tough but dulls sooner vs. brittle but hold a fine edge.
>>
File: 20161108_125358.jpg (405KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_125358.jpg
405KB, 1024x576px
>>33248183
i'm no expert or steel nut, but the current flavor of the month steel seems to be AEB-L - very nice, fine grain stainless steel. There's always ZDP-189, and s30v/s35vn, cts-xhp (after spyderco made some knives in it, Cold Steel went crazy for XHP, and they make a lot of their current production with it. So much so that my second generation Techno uses s30v).

As for non-stainless steels, anything around 1095 (.95% carbon content) or the european equivalent( C100) is pretty good.

There are some wizards like Calton who work wonders with 1095. There's also 5160 spring steel (for larger blades mostly), and 52100, or 1.2235 (pic related).

If you want edge-holding capability, then really look into Joe Calton's knives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONC3lOkoC9c

You won't get one for under 25 bucks though, but for cheap knives, both the carbon, and stainless steels used by Mora, and Opinel are really good (and both brands are rightly regarded as outstanding performers, practically unbeatable in the price range - around $10, and able to compete with $70 knives easily)
>>
>>33245859

are you looking for a fixed blade? if not, there's always Opinel, and their edge geometry is light years ahead of most 1/8'' thick production knives.
>>
>>33245859
Kershaw. Lots of good stuff for $25
>>
>>33245892
>most knives under 25 bucks are shit.
Why would this matter ? I know a bit about knifes, and from what I can tell it's the steel that matters.
>>
>>33250789
its not. steel is a big part of the quality of a knife, but so is size, blade geometry, and overall build quality. if you want a decent steel at that price, expect poor build quality or a really fucking small knife. save you good boy points for another month and jump to the 40-60 price range
>>
>>33245859

Just get a rat 1 or 2 and be done with it
>>
>>33246107

>Crkt is good quality

They're only good quality if you never held a actually quality knife. At least they're better than Gerber.
>>
>>33251010
There are plenty of good knives under $30 such as the Crkt m16, rat 1/2, opinel, and so on
>>
>>33251451
or you could blow an extra $10 for a spyderco tenacious. seriously, its not that much more to buy a decent fucking knife without breaking the bank
>>
>>33245859
I have had the same type for two years now, only the spoopy tactical model. Quite useful, disappears on your belt, makes for a comfy hand rest, and it's a complete gem. Don't let the higher end knife guys fools you, they are completely acceptable for daily use and a good buy for the money. I cut that tail thing off immediately and I imagine you will too.
>>
File: IMG_7054.jpg (34KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7054.jpg
34KB, 640x357px
>>33245859

I have both the Minimalist Bowie and the S.P.E.W. and definitely prefer the S.P.E.W. over the Bowie. The handle has more mass to it and the blade is a little longer.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.