[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I put a red dot on a 10/22 takedown and went shooting today.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: primaryarms.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
primaryarms.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
I put a red dot on a 10/22 takedown and went shooting today.

I zero'd it in at 25yrds to where my groupings were within a few inches (shooting while standing).

I then sat and rested the rifle on a bag and all my rounds were 3+ inches high. My sight picture was the same looking through the red dot....

whats going on? Sry, im kinda new to rifle shooting...
>>
>>33244281
>Zeroed while standing

There's your problem desu. Zero from the bench and look for a zero of less than an inch. A "few inch" zero at 25 meters is basically not a zero.
>>
Op, I would look into zeroing at 40yards. Iirc zeroing at 40 yrs and it should be right on at 100.
>>
its most likely just you, the shooter. did you try shooting standing again after zeroing from the bag just to see where the POI was?
>>
>>33244317
If i ever were to use this rifle in 'the habbening' i would be standing.

I just dont think it should be that off. And if I zero'd from the bench, I feel like when I shoot it standing it will be way off based on my results today.
>>
>>33244281
>>33244355
You have a non-freefloated barrel that's slip-fit into the receiver.

Upward pressure on the barrel moves the barrel, the less rigid the barrel (and you don't really get less rigid than a 10/22 TD without getting into some of the middle-eastern-built AK derivatives), the more it moves.
>>
>>33244355
>i would be standing
dude use your brain you want a consistent as possible poa and poi sighting it standing to a few inches standing wabbling and probs not using groups makes you a bit special ed.
>>
>>33244355
>If i ever were to use this rifle in 'the habbening' i would be standing.

If you want a proper zero, start from the bench. Once you get a good zero and confirm it, you can stand and start shooting from all kinds of stances you want.

>And if I zero'd from the bench, I feel like when I shoot it standing it will be way off based on my results today.

You're off because you have a multi-inch zero at 25 meters. You are, essentially, not zeroed. Zero from the bench, zero your groups down to within an inch (honestly more like 1/2 inch), then try standing and shooting with an actually zeroed rifle.
>>
>>33244388
oh really? that would actually make sense. I didnt realize it would put enough pressure to slightly change where the barrel points.

Is there a fix to this?
>>
>>33244418
If you're meaning modifications to the gun, only partially. Something like a tac-sol barrel will be quite a bit stiffer and provide a closer fit to the receiver and allow less play, but there will still be some and there's no way to freefloat the barrel on a takedown.

You can mitigate or eliminate it in practice however. When you go to shoot off a bench, place the front bag under the front edge of the receiver so there's no upward pressure on the barrel. For all other shooting positions the POI shift will be negligible enough to not worry about.
>>
>>33244487
gotcha.

Its a bull target barrel as well, so I would imagine that adds some stability
>>
File: 10222.jpg (245KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
10222.jpg
245KB, 720x1280px
>>33244543
>>
>>33244543
>>33244626
Huh. I wasn't aware they made a target-barreled takedown, seems kinda counter intuitive to me.

That looks pretty much exactly like the Tac-Sol barrel, I know they do the OEM barrels for the Ruger mk3/4 and 22/45 Lite models so I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
>>
File: 1022.jpg (206KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1022.jpg
206KB, 720x1280px
>>33244702
>kinda counter intuitive to me

I would think they are trying to strengthen the accuracy by adding a target barrel to the takedown model...yeah it may not match up to a 10/22 Target model (non-takedown), but more accurate than the normal 10/22 takedown
>>
>>33244626
Am I the only one who thinks bull barrels just look goofy on 10/22s?
>>
>>33244790
yeah unfortunately
>>
>>33244355
You zero a rifle from the bench to get it as accurate as possible. It doesn't matter if you plan on only doing jumping jacks while shooting, you fucking retard.
>>
>>33244743
seems like lipstick on a pig to me.

>>33244790
yeah
>>
>>33244865
honestly seeing 10/22s without a bull/target barrel just screams "poor person" to me.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.