[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to California

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: california.png (15KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
california.png
15KB, 250x167px
Hey /k/,

Im a US expat who hasnt lived in the US since I was 4 years old and I might be moving back in a few years, due to my career.

Ive been trying to find more info on the current california gun laws, but I cant seem to get a definitive answer from forums/actual laws etc.

Could any CA-fag please answer me the following:

>Will I be able to buy and register a new "assault rifle" after the "new assault weapon law" goes into effect? Or are new assault rifles essentially illegal for anyone who didnt own one previously?
>Furthermore, is the M1a Socom considered an "assault rifle" by california law?

And lastly, just a general question to /k/. If you could only own 1 handgun in CA and 1 shotgun for homedefense, which ones would be ideal, considering the 10 round magazine cap?

Would a 1911 springfield TRP be a reliable choice for home defense?
>>
Thanks in advance for your answers /k/.
>>
1. No
2. No, lucky for you
>>
>>33239557
Don't move here, it's hell.
>>
>>33239557
1. No
2. Not yet
3. Something in 10mm, 590
4. Pistols are very meh for home defense. I'd rather use a $120 pump shotgun than a $2000 tricked out handgun
>>
>>33239797

Thanks for the info.

>>33239933

I can look past the draw-backs of living there if I can own a gun at home desu.

>>33240111

>Pistols are very meh for home defense.

Thats what I figured too. I guess a tacticooled 12 gauge is good enough, but Id like to own a 1911 due to the historical context of the gun, same with an M1 or m14.
>>
Residents have untill 2018 to make current rifles into featureless or register them.
AR's are still being sold here as featureless with a pinned stock, no muzzle device and a magazine that can only be removed from the above,
They have already began to make work arounds for the new laws some of which actually make the rifle faster to reload than the previous bullet button,
Aks are the only things that see to be screwed ive seen some work arounds for them but it involves a hinged dust cover and removing the recoil spring.

M1a's are probably best CA legal rifles, expect to pay more for them in here tho being that everything in CA seems to cost more
>>
File: IMG_1263.jpg (793KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1263.jpg
793KB, 1350x900px
>>33239557
Hey, fellow /k/alifornian. The laws are pretty shitty to be honest.

As it is, you pretty much need to be a US citizen, and HAVE to be a CA resident to purchase a firearm in CA.

You'll need to obtain an FSC (Firearm Safety Certificate), which you can do at most gun stores. It's like a 30 question test, so just study some basic firearm safety before going in.

You'll need two proofs of residency, so a Drivers License and a utility bill (with your name on it) or Lease Agreement should do just fine.

Once you have an FSC, and requisite paperwork, and have picked out a firearm, you will need to fill out a 4473, which you will be instructed on how to do (but not fill out). It's basically just a background check form.

Once that's done, they'll run your background, and give you your pickup paper work. Then it's a simple (and brutal) ten-day wait.

I'd recommend getting a 10/22 and a Mossberg 500 to start off. the 10/22 to learn shooting basics, and a 500 for home defense. Once you feel adequate with those, I'd suggest a rifle, and a SOCOM is a great (albeit big, heavy, and expensive) start. It was my first gun, but I grew up shooting.

In terms of pistols, don't believe the hype about 10mm, that's excessive. A 9mm, .40SW, or .45 ACP will do just fine. I prefer 9mm, but you can't really go wrong with any of the above calibers. Keep in mind however, only certain handguns are on the CA roster, so you may not get your first choice (pretty sure you can get the TRP though).

Best of luck!
>>
>Ive been trying to find more info on the current california gun laws, but I cant seem to get a definitive answer from forums/actual laws etc.
Everything cool is illegal or will be illegal soon. In less than a year you will need an ammo purchase permit.
>Will I be able to buy and register a new "assault rifle" after the "new assault weapon law" goes into effect?
Technically it's illegal to buy one now but because of the one year registration grace period you can sneak in.
>Furthermore, is the M1a Socom considered an "assault rifle" by california law?
Sort of but there's a CA legal variant without the flash hider.
>And lastly, just a general question to /k/. If you could only own 1 handgun in CA and 1 shotgun for homedefense, which ones would be ideal, considering the 10 round magazine cap?
A Mossberg 590A1, which I own, and a CZ 75 B, which I do not. I'm buying an SP-01 after I move to America. Also the 10 round limit doesn't apply to tube magazines, so the Remington 870 triple tube thing is legal here, albeit crazy expensive and hard to find.
>Would a 1911 springfield TRP be a reliable choice for home defense?
Any handgun is substandard for home defense. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight you bring a long gun.

Don't come to California. Fuck this place. 20% higher pay and 40% higher cost of living. I'm leaving as soon as I'm done with college because out of state tuition is bonkers. The people are the worst, bootlickers and commies the lot of them.
>>
>>33239557
DON'T DO IT!!

California is:

Overcrowded, underfunded, over regulated, restrictive of personal freedoms and infrastructurally falling apart...

Don't come here. Move to a free state...
>>
File: fn-xrail.jpg (124KB, 425x288px) Image search: [Google]
fn-xrail.jpg
124KB, 425x288px
>>33240233
>the Remington 870 triple tube thing
Today on /k/ I learned that shotgun fags are insane. How does this even feed?
>>
>>33240227

>M1a's are probably best CA legal rifles

Awesome, thanks. I figured id get a Garand, but the M1a is pretty neat.

>>33240229

Everyone seems to favor the Mossberg over the Remington here.

>>33240233

>The people are the worst, bootlickers and commies the lot of them.

Well Im sure I can avoid both, if I find a quiet spot somewhere.

>>33240268

B-but its a writer's dream m8. Hard to find a better place.
>>
>>33240438
It's a price thing. Moss. 500 is great quality, and I can get barrels for cheaper. It's likely the muh Big5 meme. Moss. 500 'Silver' for 329.99 when it's on sale? Can't beat that.
>>
>>33240438
Remington was bought out by Cerberus which is run by one Steve (((Feinberg))) who prefers making good money to making good guns. Quality has dropped massively in the years since.
>>
>>33239557
Go live in another state. If you seriously care about gun rights than this is one of the worst states to live in. Everything is expensive and the people suck
>>
>>33240438
Just realize California is anti fun, and will not change. With the influx of illegals in socal the state is lost and will probably not rebound unless ICE can do their thing. FUDD guns will be safe though.
I plan on moving later on so i can have the hobbies I care about.
On the flipside hiking,weather, and motorcycling are pretty dope here.
>>
Hey guys I want to bring a savage .308 from Wyoming to California. I'm buying it privately, what do I need to do?
>>
>>33240699
The only legal thing you can do is have it shipped to an FFL in CA and do paperwork there.
>>
>>33240233
1) Unfortunately you are right.

2) It's illegal to buy now as of Jan. 1 2017 and all long gun purchases post 2014 are registered with the state so if you acquire the rifle in 2017 and try to register it as an "assault weapon" you will be denied by the state and I wouldn't put it past the fucks to come after you for admitting you acquired an "assault weapon" post 2016.

3) Springfield offers all variants of the M1A in a CA legal version except the one with the pistol grip stock. I'd highly recommend the scout squad rifle. Best mix of size and maneuverability.

4) The tubular magazine exemption only applies to centerfire lever action rifles and any type of rimfire rifle. So your cowboy guns and Marlin Model 60 are A-ok but shotguns are not and still limited to 10+1.

TL;DR I agree with you and if moving to CA can be avoided it should be.
>>
Californian here. I hope Czechpoint will make their vz58 Liberty model featureless. It would be CA compliant if they added one of those featureless grip wraps, right?
>>
>>33240229
As someone who worked in a major southern California gun store you are mostly correct however,

1) You don't not have to be a U.S. citizen to purchase a firearm in CA. You must however have a CADL or CAID and if you are a non-resident alien you must have your non-res alien paperwork in addition to a hunting license or letter from the governor (good luck with this) authorizing you to purchase a firearm. If you are a resident alien you just simply show your green card in addition to the other required documentation. As you said you MUST be a resident of California.

2) The FSC test is stupid easy and anyone who is not retarded can pass. If you feel that you might be too retarded to pass a study guide is available for free here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf

3) Proof of residency requirements are tricky. If one is a US citizen and purchasing a rifle, shotgun, or receiver and the address listed on their CADL or CAID is current then they only need that and their FSC. If the address listed is not current then the person buying the firearm must also provide something government issue that bears their current address. This is federal law and is stated on the back page of the form 4473 you use to fill out when you buy a gun in all 50 states. They are really lax on this and just about anything works an easy recent example you may have is election mail. Various DMV forms are also accepted. Where this can sometimes become complicated is when the firearm being purchased is a handgun which even if you address is current on your license CA does require a proof of residency. The documents CA DOJ will accept is found here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#13G

Protip: The one easy proof that will always cover both requirements is your vehicle registration. Satisifies both CA and possible federal requirements. Check with your dealer though because some dealers interpret the law incorrectly. This is just from my former employer.
>>
>>33240935
You could always just buy the rifle and convert it yourself. The fixed magazine is able to be swapped with a standard mag catch (with parts you can buy from them) and then all you would need is a grip wrap since from the factory it comes with a fixed stock and no muzzle device.

Personally I kind of like the stripper clips.
>>
File: mb.png (412KB, 1626x980px) Image search: [Google]
mb.png
412KB, 1626x980px
Is this CA legal?
>>
>>33241162
Yes
>>
>>33241162
In CA laws governing any manually operated long arms are the same as federal law. You can buy any break action, pump action, bolt action, lever action, other types of manually operated long gun arms that I am forgetting. You can also buy any type of rimfire rifle. California's assault weapon laws only affect semiautomatic rifles, shotguns, and pistols (semiautomatic rimfire rifles are exempt), but if you buy that, buy a buttstock for it. Pistol grip only shotguns are dumb.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.