[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mauser C96 as first handgun, good or bad idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 55-42196-mgc2-1355298450.jpg (26KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
55-42196-mgc2-1355298450.jpg
26KB, 600x337px
Mauser C96 as first handgun, good or bad idea?
>>
File: 1440526667665.png (18KB, 182x233px) Image search: [Google]
1440526667665.png
18KB, 182x233px
>>33235522
>>
>>33235522
Yes
>>
Pros:
*It's incredibly cool

Cons:
*Not rated for +P
*9mm ones are expensive. 9mm ones that haven't been run into the ground are even more expensive
*Doesn't use magazines
*Few holster options, can't be concealed

You decide.
>>
>>33235578 I wasn't really looking at for its CCW purposes more of a range gun, I plan on getting a Glock 19 or a VP9 for CCW. As I can't really carry where I work and visit daily so I'm not in the market for a CCW gun
>>
>>33235578
shit dude anything can be concealed. My first carry gun was a .22 artillery luger clone. Luckily, baggy pants were in fashion because I had to tape that shit around my leg
>>
>>33235522
What I usually say is "buy a gun you want" rather than something like a 10/22 that everyone says you need as a first gun. Even so, a c96 is a big investment and you may not be able to shoot it a whole lot due to oddball ammo. In the end, it's your money.
>>
It was the first pistol for a lot of people back in the day, you would not be the first. I just got one, they are pretty neat.
>>
>>33235612
>I plan on getting a Glock 19 or a VP9 for CCW

I would recommend against this. For the majority of people, CCing something the size of a 19 or VP9 necessitates significant wardrobe changes to be able to carry it everywhere, every day with no problems or discomfort. You are probably better off considering something smaller, like a Glock 26 or FNS-9C.

>As I can't really carry where I work and visit daily so I'm not in the market for a CCW gun

I doubt this. You should be able to CC an LCP at the very least, and you should seriously consider doing so. Yes, pocket guns don't have much panache. But a gun with no panache that you have on your all the time and that saves your life in a dangerous situation is a lot more useful than an expensive one that only sees use at a range.
>>
>>33235522

Terrible idea, since C96:
1. Is very expensive (especially 9mm version)
2. Is extremely complicated to disassemble & put together.
3. 7.63 x 25 ammo is hard to find & expensive (two remaining manufacturers?).
4. Stripper clips are needed for loading the pistol - and those that are not that easy to find or cheap either.
5. These pistols have their own set of technical issues when it comes to durability and spare parts availability is near zero.
6. Ergonomics-wise C96 is just pretty damn horrible and so top-heavy that muzzle-flip is just crazy.

Get a pistol that it currently being manufactured that uses commonly available affordable ammunition - you will be able to do enough shooting practice with it to learn how to shoot it effectively.
>>
>>33235522

No dude get a deagle fiddy cal and get a skull painted on the grip dude

Dude that be so sick and carry it in your waistband with your pants really low dude
>>
>>33235668
The absolute madman!

>>33235522
Do it. Fucking do it. Do it, and a get a holster for it. Carry that shit, motherfucker. Carry. That. Shit.
>>
>>33235522
Why not? If you can afford it, go for it, it's not like they are getting any cheaper, and if you really like them you'll probably end up getting one eventually, might as well be now. There will always be an abundance of VP9's and Glock 19's.
>>
>>33236145
>1. Is very expensive (especially 9mm version)
True.

>2. Is extremely complicated to disassemble & put together.
So complicated you can learn field and detail stripping from a couple of 5-min youtube videos.

>3. 7.63 x 25 ammo is hard to find & expensive (two remaining manufacturers?).
Eh, it's not too bad, and one of the manufacturers is el cheapo PPU.

>4. Stripper clips are needed for loading the pistol - and those that are not that easy to find or cheap either.
100% bullshit. Numrich has them for a few dollars, and there are other places carrying them, too.

>5. These pistols have their own set of technical issues when it comes to durability and spare parts availability is near zero.
Crucial spare parts like pins, springs and bolt stop are available in new manufacture from kb international.

>6. Ergonomics-wise C96 is just pretty damn horrible and so top-heavy that muzzle-flip is just crazy.
True, though not to the level you're describing.

You haven't actually held or done much research on them, have you? Maybe read a review or two?
>>
>>33236201
I get the comparison you're trying to make, but you're still retarded.
>>
>>33235522
Bad idea.

>a good condition shooter will cost you
>ammunition won't be that cheap
>gun has generally kind of awkward handling and ergos

It's basically a novelty today.
>>
File: f86c81b0256cd332.jpg (34KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
f86c81b0256cd332.jpg
34KB, 500x344px
>>33235522
No. It's a collectors weapon.
Pic related.
Someone touching this gun as a first gun would be like a old, fat, sweaty man touching an innocent, virgin girl.
A horrible, vile waste.
>>
>>33238280
It has arguably always been a novelty.

>one of the first autoloaders
Novelty.

>one of the few autoloaders with an internal mag
Novelty.

It's an odd beast when you look at either modern or antique pistols. An odd, sexy beast.
>>
>>33237137

Complicated enough that I once watched a former army weapon tech who was trying to sell one to try re-assemble the pistol for about 20 minutes without succeeding. Most pistols can be re-assembled in 10 seconds, but this takes 5 minute long video for instructions?

PPU makes shit-quality ammo. Fiocchi makes decent ammo, but lately its 7.63 x 25 has been unobtanium in here.

Numrich may have some, but on this side of pond they tend to cost at least 20 euros per clip, while stripper clips for rifles typically go for 2 - 3 euros/clip.

As for experience am often the guy that writes reviews. I have friends who own both "red 9" & 7.63mm versions and I have tested them both for couple of clips worth with and without wooden holster-butt. I actually considered acquiring C96 few years back, but decided it was not worth it. Hint: If you have wooden holster attached as butt, watch where you put your thumb or you may get one serious hammer-bite.
>>
>>33235522
Sure, if you want to go bankrupt
>>
>>33238415
>shit quality ammo
For what, exactly? It's a range toy.

>EU
Okay, I was approaching what you were saying from the wrong perspective. Sorry it's too complex for your friend.

Thanks for the protip. I have skinny hands, but it's one I tell my friends when they shoot mine.
>>
>>33235522
Buy whatever you want for a first gun desu.
I bought a Python and didnĀ“t regret it
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.