[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooling Barrels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_ICou8wN1.jpg (64KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ICou8wN1.jpg
64KB, 540x720px
How hot is too hot for, say, a typical WASR10 barrel? Is it safe to put 150 rounds (2 drum mags) through an AK47 back to back?

Also, what are effective ways of immediately cooling the barrel. I've heard mixed things about pouring water on the barrel. Some say it will allow it to cool more evenly and others say it will cause warping and cracking

What say /k/?
>>
>>33227414
Add heatsinks.

It's a fuckin gun. Don't shoot it to destroy it.
>>
>>33227426
Not intending to destroy it. Simply wondering how much my fun can take before damaging it. I do fire drills and engage 25 targets (3 rounds each) back to back. By then the barrel is smoking but not quite red hot
>>
>>33227446
You do this with a cheap shitty gun like a wasr?
>>
>>33227414
Nothing good could possibly come from putting water in or on a burning hot barrel
>>
>>33227465
I'm a college student and don't have daddy's money to help. The only Aks I have is a wasr which I got for $450 and a century arms n-pap
>inb4hurrrcenturyarmslel
It was a gift

I've put at least 10k rounds through both and never had a problem. The century arms is disposable so I generally abuse it with back to back drum mags
>>
>>33227487
Elaborate? I've heard mixed reviews from different gunsmiths. It's not like a car engine where it will crack if it's poured when it's red hot. Gun barrels are designed to be more elastic and durable
>>
>>33227490

"Don't have daddy's money"

> received a $400 gift
>>
File: 2015-04-13 18.31.16-1.jpg (1022KB, 2824x1517px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-13 18.31.16-1.jpg
1022KB, 2824x1517px
>>33227490
I have an NPAP that I got for 450 with 20 mags that I've never shot.

All my guns are poorfag guns. This is the reality of people who shit post on /k/. Don't feel bad.
>>
>>33227502
Did I say from a family member
>>
>>33227414
Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube does a torture test with a bad century ak and it only gets to like 360 rounds. And then the good one gets through around 1,000 check it out
>>
>>33227498
But if you take it to red hot, you have ruined the heat treatment. Then, by cooling it rapidly with water, you're quenching it. This makes the barrel hard and brittle. Basically, don't do this to your guns.
>>
>>33227414
>AK47
>>
>>33227414
>Is it safe to put 150 rounds (2 drum mags) through an AK47 back to back?
It can probably take it, but don't touch the barrel afterwards.

>what are effective ways of immediately cooling the barrel
None, really. Short of maybe one of those sillly fans you put in a magwell (which are only for ARs I think).

Don't pour water on a hot barrel.

>>33227705
AK47 can generally be used as a shorthand slang for 7.62x39mm AKs, be they milled guns or stamped guns like an AKM. Now go away, Autismo Jones.
>>
>>33227414

Don't pour water on a hot barrel or anything hot made of metal. It will warp the metal, fuck the heat treatment, cause it to be brittle. There is no good outcome of pouring water onto a hot barrel.

Old WW1 machine guns had water jackets but the barrel and water heated together, the machine gun teams weren't pouring water onto the barrels.
>>
if the gun gets too hot won't the gun start firing automatically (as in without pulling the trigger and rapidly even if its a semi)?

Also in We were soldiers they peed on that machine gun to cool it down so it'll work to put you in battle condition if needed, will probably ruin the gun though
>>
>>33227812
Possible but super SUPER unlikely in anything short of retard circumstances.
>>
>>33227812
A really hot barrel can cause a chambered round to eventually cook-off.

But for cook-off to cause an effect like full-auto fire it would have to be obscenely hot, like, glowing, to the point where you couldn't touch the gun.
>>
>>33227507

>implying you have to be related to "Daddy"
>>
>>33227849
>>33227861
gotta be some truth to this somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVIr9CQX5c
>>
>>33227898

If you want realism you dont fucking post Fury. A bullet can cook off if the chamber is hot enough and the bullet sits long enough inside. It wont be so hot it will set off shit on contact. i doubt you could throw a bullet into molten steel to get it to fire off that fast.
>>
>>33227414
What is the alloy is used?
What micro structure does it have?

Do you wish to preserve that structure and its special properties, or will any solid metal micro structure work?

Most of these questions can be answered with a phase diagram.

Phase changing for steel structures are typically around 538°C, but compositions can change that significantly.

Immediate cooling is not advisable given thermal shock potential and warping, metals may not do this as much as other materials but is still can break things, especially if applied unevenly.

I know very little about guns in a normal sense, but I know a lot about material applications. And guns are an interesting extreme use case I like to study.
>>
>>33227506
And some people just don't want to spend much money on guns. They need one gun for defense or just enjoy shooting and would rather spend their money on other things.
Do the guys that complain about what other anons have really care or do they just like shit posting?
>>
>>33227506
What kind of scope is that?
Is that uncomfortable to shoot with the scope mounted that high?
>>
>>33227414

The proper way to cool that and preserve the temper is to plunge it into the chest of a physically powerful male slave.At least thats what you do with swords.
>>
>>33227812
They were pissing on mortar barrels to prevent cooking off a round in the tube. Not exactly the same thing.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.