[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Green to guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170307_021339_529.jpg (82KB, 720x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_021339_529.jpg
82KB, 720x387px
OK /k/ I am from the UK, I was lucky enough to get to move to the US of motherfucking A and I am completely new to guns.

I was lucky enough to handle some in the UK (shotguns, 22's, 5.55) but for the most part I barely know anything.

I have heard terms being thrown about and I was hoping to get some info about them.

>Barrel length
What exactly does it affect
>Barrel twist
Does this stabilize the round?
>Short and long stroke piston
>Di or piston gas systems
>Adjustable gas systems
>Trigger weight

As I said I am completely new, if there is any other info I should know about firearms before getting one I'll happily listen. I know that this would probably go in another thread but I feel there may be other people that don't understand some things either.
>>
>>33226075
>Barrel length
What exactly does it affect
velocity and handling
>Barrel twist
is for optimization in regards to ammo but isnt that important. if its not an ar you dont get a fucking choice for twist rate. the twist rate a gun comes with is what it comes with.
>Short and long stroke piston
different ways of pushing the bolt back
>Di or piston gas systems
if this is an ar di pistons is a bastardized retrrofit. if its an ak or something its piston. you just stick with the system the gun was designed for.
>Adjustable gas systems
there so you can make you gun run with weak or hot ammo not that important if your gun was manufactured right to begin with and you are shooting factory ammo.
>Trigger weight
should be self explanatory. you dont need a light trigger to shoot well but it does help. its more about personal skill than anything.
>>
>>33226075
>barrel length
Longer barrels will increase the velocity of a round (up to a certain point, depends on cartridge). Although shorter barrels are more maneuverable and weigh less. Longer barrels will generally also have a longer sight radius (distance between sights) so you will be able to shoot more accurately, even if barrel length doesn't really affect accuracy.
>barrel twist
It's how long a bullet takes to make a complete turn while in the barrel. A 1:9 twist will make a complete turn every 9 inches. Different cartridges and bullet weights will need different twist rates to be optimal.
>short and long stroke piston
Different, but similar methods of cycling a gas operated gun. I'm not the most familiar with them but the long stroke piston is directly attached to the bolt carrier and moves the full length, while a short stroke piston isnt. Look at the difference between an ak47 (long) and sks (short).
>direct impingement (di) and piston
Piston gas systems use the expanding gasses taken from the barrel to move a piston and bolt carrier group to cycle a gun. Di just skips the piston and slams gas into the bolt carrier. An ar isn't exactly di, but close enough to understand the basics.
>adjustable gas
Let's you regulate how much gas the gun uses to cycle. For different pressure rounds or if you're using a suppressor.
>trigger weight
How much weight it takes to pull the trigger.
>>
>>33226163
Well fuck, I didn't see that you already responded.
>>
>>33226182
I see, are there any other basic things about firearms I should know? I mean I'm picking it up here and there but I'd rather be sure before I go and make a fool of myself.
>>
>>33226201
Figure out what gun you're interested in and do as much research on it as you want. I've never read the sticky, but people usually recommend that. Most stuff you will just pick up on as you go along. Always ask questions, and if you find yourself hooked, welcome to the ride. You can't ever get off.
>>
File: poorfag home defense.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
poorfag home defense.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
>>33226201
>I see, are there any other basic things about firearms I should know?
It really isn't rocket science. Modern firearms pretty much all do the same, with slightly different operating system design. There's some bad apples in every basket, and traits you better know about in specific guns (ie. keep the AR lubed, AK just clean).

Besides that, all I can think of would be hammering down the safe weapon handling rules in your skull:
Keep your fingers off the trigger, muzzle pointed downwards and away from important things (ie feet), and double clear gun's chamber once you detach the magazine.
>>
>>33226075
>to move to the US of motherfucking A
You bastard, how?
>>
>>33226416
Pakistan isn't on the list.
>>
>>33226416
I was lucky enough to find myself a sweet southern belle.

>>33226426
Fuck you
>>
>>33226411
Yeah thankfully coming from the UK firearm safety was hate fucked into my skull before you even got withing 100m of a real weapon.
>>
There are 4 main gun rules:

1. Guns are sometimes loaded.
2. Point the gun anywhere you choose.
3. Put your finger on the trigger while pointing the gun anywhere.
4. Shoot at any target you see, or don't see.
>>
>>33226468
>USMC ethos
Only thing that's missing is:
Paste and crayons make a great substitute for MREs
>>
>>33226434
Fellow bong here.

Firearm safety isn't drilled into people at all, only fear.

People are scared to death of them but if they pick them up the first thing the mongo will do is try to pick their nose with the finger on the trigg
>>
>>33226506
Well I got the chance to do cadets in the UK when I was younger. My unit at least drilled firearm safety as the number one rule. Reason being is if you fuck up then no more guns for the unit which nobody wanted, so we had to be shit hot on every single thing we did.
>>
>>33226075

Damn I have a great copy and paste for this on my computer at home, a summary would be

>learn to clean your guns, you have to do the exterior most often
>never touch or lean your barrel on anything to fire as it changes your point of impact
>more important than using a safety, keep your fingers out of the trigger guard until it's time to shoot and always always always watch where the end of the barely is pointed unless the gun is disassembled
>if you don't research the proper forms, you will never get good. For automatic pistols you must get good at the thumbs forward grip using either the Weaver or isoceles stance
>The best starter gun is a 22 lr bolt action from any good brand name. You'll never sell it, it's very intuitive and easy to get good at, won't develop a flinch, ammo at Walmart, great for small game, and it's safer to shoot at most places than a larger round
>>
File: the texas life.jpg (62KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
the texas life.jpg
62KB, 426x364px
>>33226075
I know others have responded, but this is fun to explain anyway, so…

>Barrel length - What exactly does it affect?

3 things: velocity of the bullet, accuracy of the bullet, and the physical properties of the gun itself (length, weight, balance)

Longer barrel:
>larger distance for explosion to accelerate bullet – faster velocity as bullet exits the barrel
>longer distance for the round to be “directed” along the path of the gun’s aim – greater accuracy
>Heavier, bulkier gun

Shorter barrel:
>lower velocity on round
>less accuracy
>lighter, shorter gun

>Barrel twist - Does this stabilize the round?
Yes, same principle in throwing an (American) Football – give it a spiral twist, and it keeps the trajectory straighter.
This technique is called “rifling”, and it was arguably the biggest technological advancement in terms of accuracy of the last 300 years.

>Trigger weight
The amount of force needed to pull the trigger. The harder you have to pull, the more you shake. Therefore, lighter triggers are more desirable.
Lighter trigger = more sensitive = greater accuracy

Are you familiar with the difference between automatic handguns and revolvers?

Have fun in the US!
>>
>>33228065
length of barrel being a major factor in accuracy is a total myth, provided that the barrel hasn't just been lopped off or you're using a barrel a firearm was designed to use.
>>
>>33226075
Watch out the wild niggers m8
>>
>>33228084
It IS kind of important in accuracy, but not mechanical accuracy. If you had the gun in a vice grip aimed by a computer, length of the barrel won't affect the accuracy of the gun really at all. But if you're aiming the gun yourself, a longer barrel provides a longer sight radius.

Basically the gun is just as accurate no matter how long the barrel is, but YOU are more accurate with a longer barrel.
>>
Welcome to burgerland, any chance you're in CO area? I used to live in Aberdeen and would love to bring a bong shooting
>>
File: 1477279229501.jpg (61KB, 682x465px) Image search: [Google]
1477279229501.jpg
61KB, 682x465px
>>33226201
1. 1. Treat every gun as if it was loaded until you have personally (safely) confirmed it is not.

2. Until you’ve done step 1, don’t point the gun at anything you don’t want dead/destroyed. Be aware that bullets can go through things.

3. Never, ever, handle someone else’s gun without their permission. Ownership is sacred in gun culture. This also applies to you and your guns, if/when you get your own. You have a right to be possessive and protective of them.

4. Be inquisitive, but humble. No one minds if you ask questions (most people really enjoy getting the opportunity to teach) but don’t attempt to show off your limited knowledge. If you’re new, it will show.

5. Guns are absurdly loud. It’s hard to fathom just how loud until you actually stand next to them. Always wear ear protection when shooting indoors. Open-air outdoor shooting could go either way, but it’s better to err on the side of caution.

6. As long as you’re being safe, have fun.
>>
>>33228084
True, but I didn't say "major factor". I was explaining theory. And an AR with a 24" Barrel is definitely going to be more accurate than this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZSFBy9CZ8
>>
>>33227648
Definitely useful thanks.

>>33228065
I see, and yes I am aware of the difference.

>>33228103
It can't be any worse than east London

>>33228162
Sadly not I'm down in sweet home Alabama sunning it up on the gulf coast.

>>33228220
Some sound advice, not dissimilar to the advice given at the ranges in the UK.
>>
>>33228162
>shooting guns
>in CO

The bong just left an oppressive tyrannical government, why would he want to move to another?
>>
>>33228280
If you ever find yourself in KY make a thread and I'll take you out for some long range fun.
>>
>>33228568
Sounds like a plan.
>>
>>33228603
Though honestly I doubt I'll be there any time soon, the only places I know I'm going this year are Ft Jackson and Ft Sam Houston
>>
>>33228367
Hey we have weed and sheriffs that say fuck you to state law. Its not all tyranny, just Denver.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.