[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ballistic Shield for HD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Paris-shield-BRI.jpg (359KB, 1090x733px) Image search: [Google]
Paris-shield-BRI.jpg
359KB, 1090x733px
I've been wondering,

How much sense would a ballistic shield make for HD?

Seems like it would be a lot more practical to grab+go than taking the time to put on body armor, also offers a lot more protection.

Level IIIa shields are super light, and level III rifle rated shields are only 30-35lbs. They're not prohibitively expensive, either. IIIa ones are only around ~$1000 and III around ~$3000

Why don't more people keep one of these next to their bed?
>>
>>33217260
>Why don't more people keep one of these next to their bed?

Because the chances of you actually getting in a gunfight inside your house is next to zero.
>>
>>33217260
>shield in left hand
>pistol in right hand
>go to leave room
>door is closed
>both hands full
>confusion
>>
File: 100% unobtanium unicorn.jpg (79KB, 1600x631px) Image search: [Google]
100% unobtanium unicorn.jpg
79KB, 1600x631px
>>33217260

day time /k/ is a cancer
>>
>>33217260

It doesn't take long at all to put armor on though. Rather have that and have both hands free, than to creep around the house with like a 30 pound shield. Plus I prefer to use a AR for HD.
>>
>>33217289

Why would you leave your room door closed when you sleep

You'd have a hard time even hearing somebody break in, in the first place
>>
>>33217315

I keep my door closed. If some one did break in, they can't see me moving around in my room.

Plus that's why I got a couple battle buddie doggos. They hear shit for me.
>>
>>33217301

Armor won't protect your head (unless you have a helmet with a cumbersome ass face shield like in OP's pic)

>implying nignogs aim for center mass
It would suck if you got hit in the face by spray n' pray Jamal

Also you can get shields with cutouts for using a rifle
>>
>>33217333

I was saying because one time I had a break-in I was almost fucked because I had my door closed.

I couldn't hear the guy breaking into my garage, and it was only because his dumb ass knocked some paint cans over I finally knew about it
>>
>>33217260
The opportunity cost is pretty high. $3000 for a shield is $3000 that could be spent on ammo and range time. Choosing to use a shield also makes it impossible to use the king of home defense weapons, the shotgun.

If you want protection, a plate carrier is easy enough to slip on and can hold some magazines too.
>>
>>33217335

As former law enforcement, I'm still gonna say no to the shield.
>>
>>33217260
If you're carrying a shield like that into a firefight then you want at least two friends with long guns shooting for you.

If you're on your own, like you will be in a home defense situation, you want a long gun instead.
>>
>>33217360

I dunno, a plate carrier can only ever cover your chest

With a shield you get virtually complete directional protection, and it's not something that limits you by being attached to your body. You'd be able to do stuff like set it down and crouch behind it as a barricade
>>
>>33217260

I don't think anybody's ever going to expect getting their home raided by a roving band of renegade Tyrones with AKs
>>
>>33217456
While I like the idea of a light level 2 to 3a with some bright as fuck lights attached it is a matter of weight, duration it needs to be held up, ability to manipulate environment, and practicality if nog grabs you. Some of these factors are not too terrible others are a worry. For a narrow apartment I would certainly rock one even with a shorter sword. For an open floor plan house....... ar
>>
>>33217449

Except a good portion of your legs are uncovered.

It's usually strapped around your arm, so you can't just take it off as quickly as you think.

You have to peak around the top or sides, or look through some thick ass glass to see.

You also only have one hand on your weapon, so recoil is less manageable.

If there is any malfunction, trying to clear your weapon is gonna be a pain in the ass, which is why when using a shield, you work in teams for that shit. If you got that problem you can drop down or move out of the way, your buddie behind you engages the target.

Clearing corners can be a bitch, due to less sight.

Opening doors can be a pain.

Have you ever used a shield, or try to clear a house while using one? Have you even tried just clearing a house with any weapon? it seems pretty obvious that you've not.
>>
>>33217621

All this is coming from some one who spent six yrs as 31b (Military police) before getting medical dishcarge, after that was a guard at a prison for a few yrs, after that did five yrs law enforcement. I'm using first hand knowledge.

This is 4chan, the autistic fags that are here, will still argue.
>>
File: 1488749753088m.jpg (61KB, 400x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488749753088m.jpg
61KB, 400x1024px
>>33217260
>>
>>33217689
kek
>>
>>33217621
>It's usually strapped around your arm

No it isn't. While they come with arm/neck straps you're never ever supposed to use them.

Says my sheriff friend anyway
>>
>>33217689
kekorino y pepe
>>
>>33217689

this is perfect
>>
>>33217679
Another MP and the points covered will be the case in most situations. If you have minimal doors and long hallways maybe but otherwise listen to this reserve (or odd active contract) MP
>>
>>33217348
What happened after?
>>
>>33217260
I'd go with an improv'd pavise setup. Basically a full body shield with a kickstand. Add a built in flashlight to grab attention and you could wait for them to run dry.

Course, I'm not saying that's all you carry.
>>
>>33217832
I'd recommend get a gambeson and a kettle helmet, get your pavice and a hand drawn crossbow, and set up in a hallway
>>
>>33217776

I grabbed my beretta but couldn't find my goddamn flashlight (turned out I left it in the garage and the guy already stole it) so I made my way to the garage turning on lights as I went

The guy must've seen the lights because he was gone by the time I got there, I looked outside and I saw him sprinting down the street like a block away

Lost my nice flashlight and a bag of automotive tools probably worth about $350 total, cops didn't give a shit
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.