[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can any kommando tell me what the vehicles in this photo are?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: 20170306_112115.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_112115.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
Can any kommando tell me what the vehicles in this photo are? Are they some kind of artillery? And what country uses them? Thanks.
>>
Fuck i hate ADF media publications/ media
>>
>>33209256
This is the Daily Telegraph Australia.
>>
>>33209215
The ones behind him are GCT 155mm's so my money is on Iraq in that pic.
>>
File: 9y89mnkht5-5b5d20.jpg (287KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
9y89mnkht5-5b5d20.jpg
287KB, 1024x576px
>>33209215
The big muzzle brake in the forefront comes from a soviet PT76.

The automotives behind are french made AUF1, automotive 155mm 39 caliber artillery using the 155mm GCT (Grande Cadence de Tir, or "High Firing rate") canon. Sold to Iraq in the late 70's early 80's. Based on an AMX30 MBT chassis.

The iraqis used them in a very wrong way during desert storm, the strong point of these weapons, since they're automotives, being their manoeuverability and ability to relocate. The iraqis embossed them into sand and waited for strikes which came from everything the coalition could send out. A tactic which may have worked years before against Iran but did not against the whole western world.

A few dozen of these were salvaged back then and never went into service again due to a lack of spare parts after the embargo in 1991.

In 2003 some of these were discovered by coalition forces in an iraqi army depot.
None of these guns were combat ready anyway.
>>
>>33210196
other pics
>>
File: Soudi and Iraq Irak AUF1 (14).jpg (88KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Soudi and Iraq Irak AUF1 (14).jpg
88KB, 720x480px
>>33210196
this is the scenery where the journal's picture was taken
>>
File: Soudi and Iraq Irak AUF1 (3).jpg (86KB, 1600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Soudi and Iraq Irak AUF1 (3).jpg
86KB, 1600x350px
>>33210196
>>
>>33210196
I don't disagree with you but I often see comments about "Iraq's missteps in the war".
They were pretty well fucked how ever it would have gone.

Once the air war was lost it was effectively over
>>
>>33209300
Same diff
>>
>>33210272
Oh that's for sure, but at least they could have tried to evade air reconnaissance by applying proper camouflage to their arty pieces before they had to move away. Do not forget there was a huge campaign of aerial reconnaissance before strikes happened. Satellites couldn't do everything, Iraq had quite a big army back then.

When combat effectively engaged, the iraqis, being equipped with weapons designed to fire then move to another position, simply used them as static artillery pieces and of course were utterly buttfucked.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.