[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home handguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: Gun-firearm.jpg (57KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Gun-firearm.jpg
57KB, 600x300px
What would be a good gun for home defense? I just bought a nice house but its by a sketchy neighborhood. I figure if I don't buy a gun I'm pretty much screwed. I don't want anything like a judge or a shotgun, a handgun would be preferred. I live in New Mexico now, and I've heard the gun laws here are pretty lenient.
>>
>>33189803
AR-15, Glock (17, 21 or 20), AK.
>>
>>33189803
AR-15 in the bedroom, Glock 19 or 17 hidden somewhere in the living room.
>>
FNX45 - 15+1 .45 is never a bad thing

Where in NM? Las Cruces here
>>
>>33190534
Albuquerque
>>
>>33189803
Pick up some different guns at the gun store and see what feels good to you. If there is a range where you can rent them and buy the gun you shoot the best.
>>
>>33189803
I'd say a good handgun in a decent caliber.

But not .357 Magnum; unless you want to kill the intruder and your hearing.
>>
I always thought it was dumb to use a rifle for home defense. Overpenetration is a motherfucker, and you're liable for whatever that bullet might do to persons/property outside your home. A good pistol with a light on it is really your best bet.
>>
>>33190585
That was my thinking as well.

Something like 9mm or .45 should be more than enough for home defense.

You could probably even get away with something like .380 ACP or 9x18 if you're a good shot.
>>
>>33190551

Cool, let me know if you ever head down this way, got a few good gun stores and a couple ranges
>>
>>33190605
I'm a decent shot at a range but I have a feeling I'd be all over the place if someone actually broke in
>>
>>33190641

Shotgun then
>>
>>33190665
Defiantly a consideration
>>
File: Screenshot_20170303-210009.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170303-210009.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>33190708
ORRRR you could get one of these beauties ;)
>>
File: scarheavy.jpg (58KB, 800x259px) Image search: [Google]
scarheavy.jpg
58KB, 800x259px
I wish I could have this
>>
>>33190641
Get a double stack 9mm
>>
>>33189803
>nice house
>sketchy neighborhood
you clearly didn't buy a good house then

>full sized handgun with light/laser
>18" 12ga shotgun with 00buck
those are your best options
>>
>>33190800

Yeah anon like this one >>33190724

>30+1
>>
>>33189803
Get a 10mm gun.
I don't actually own any guns but I heard they can blow up bears and shit.
You'll have a hilarious greentext to make if you survive a home intrusion while wielding one.
>>
>>33190585
>handgunfags every time
there is no such thing as a bullet that will kill a man but wont kill a man after going through a couple layers of drywall. over penetration at this point is a fucking meme. its far more important to have adequate penetration to stop the attacker than it is to worry about over penetrating and accidentally hitting a neighbor.

furthermore, there are frangible .223 rounds that will perform much better than any pistol round and still wont over penetrate to an unnecessary degree. there is literally no reason to gimp yourself in every way with a handgun. even a shotgun is a better choice.
>>
>>33190812

Yep, FNX45 w/light and shotgun
>>
File: F1Glk23NGen3.jpg (136KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
F1Glk23NGen3.jpg
136KB, 800x520px
>all this 9mm and 45

Why does /k/ hate 40 so much? That would be a far better home defense caliber.
>>
File: ff.png (513KB, 1195x455px) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
513KB, 1195x455px
Objections?
>>
>>33190831
>I don't actually own any guns but I heard...

Kek
>>
>>33190872

Shut the fuck up Donny you're out of your element
>>
>>33190943

Prob more than half of /k/ desu
>>
>>33190872
>Why does /k/ hate 40 so much?

I'll take a .40 over a 9mm anyday
>>
File: wut.jpg (75KB, 804x413px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
75KB, 804x413px
>>33190958
>Prob more than half of /k/ desu

derp?
>>
>>33189803
Albuquerque bro here
>>
>>33189803

Okay OP. First, your priorities are in the wrong fucking order. Get on YouTube and learn how to harden up the entry points of your house then get your ass down to Home Depot to buy some supplies. Making your house harder to break into is cheap and has two advantages:

1) It gives you MUCH more time to prepare your defense should the attackers manage to gain entry. Even if the hardened doors and windows only give you an extra 30 seconds, that time is fucking GOLD.

2) Standard building codes make houses easy to break into in case emergency personnel need to gain entry in a hurry. Most criminals want a quick and easy smash n' grab with as little noise as possible. Make your house louder and harder than your neighbor's places.
>>
>>33190959
.40 is a meme round that even the CIA gave up on because it's level of superiority in terms of handgun rounds is like being able to tell the difference between taco bueno and taco bell. No matter what you dont want to have to resort to it
And any asshole who argues stopping power in handgun rounds in 2017 is a shit stained cum rag that doesnt realize the max fucking range you'll be using your handgun at is the length of your fucking arm and regardless how big your dick is you better shoot the nigger in the head because even a .45 wont stop someone drugged up and hell bent on killing you unless you put them down in one shot
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (78KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1033.jpg
78KB, 426x364px
>>33189803
>home
A 12 guage by your door, a .38 under your pillow
/thread
Nothing else is even an option
>>
>>33191317
Or ... maybe the CIA was forced to give it up, because they were causing the death of so many urban black youth??

Keep up the casual racism though. It's very classy. /s
>>
>>33190882
>$2000
Theres your objection dumbass
A rock island works just as well and costs a fourth of the price
>>
>>33190872
choke on a nigger dick
>>
>>33191351
No, they explicitly came out and said there was no noticeable difference, and everyone across the board agrees that a dick measuring contest with handgun rounds is the most pointless thing in the world. The only handgun rounds that are large enough to make a practical difference are too much on the cumbersome and recoil heavy side. Handguns in general are too weak and inneffective in most situations, and if you are forced to use one, you're praying you either get a headshot, or the guy you're shooting is smart enough to back down
>>
>>33191385
Why the animosity?
>>
>>33191393
shit man, why even bother conceal carrying when handguns are so pathetic?
>>
>>33191475
I'd rather a gun than my fists
Also live in Texas so open carry a .357
>>
>>33191499
You're a man of a sizeable stature
>>
>>33191523
u*2*2
>>
>>33191351

>fucking casuals
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 400x370px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfxMIhEUrQ
>>
>>33190812

You don't know Albuquerque man. I grew up in an old ass house built in the 30s. Down the road in one direction was a trailer park complete with crack and stray dogs. Down the road in the other direction were a few houses valued at over a million dollars. I used to hang out with the ghetto mexican kids down the road from me. 7 family members in a 2 bedroom shit house. I also hung out with the rich white kids on the same street. The rich family had a pool, 2 boats, a guest house and a tennis court.
Shit can get kinda weird here sometimes
>>
>>33189803
>I just bought a nice house but its by a sketchy neighborhood

this is the problem you retard

buying a gun will not fix your clueless brain

good luck
>>
>>33189803
Big blogpost coming

A pistol would be a great bet if the houses near you are close enough that a rifle or a shotgun would over penetrate. It's been said to death already in this thread. If you want a pistol, consider these points. This is all assuming you have the time to spare.
>Capacity
Ideally, you want something with a higher capacity. The more shots you have, the more forgiving a miss becomes. In a perfect situation, you land all your shots, but something frightening like a home invasion WILL throw your fine motor skills out of whack. Pistols count on vital spot hits for killing power since they don't have the crippling, flesh-displacing power that rifles and shotties do. That means the more chances you have to nail a vital spot while firing wildly (because you WILL do that) the better. You can pick whatever you want, but remember that your life may depend on your accuracy, or rather, how many times your inaccuracy will be forgiven.

>Caliber
This is a hot one for debate. You want to pick a caliber that you can afford to train with, yet still control outside of training while still being powerful. I would not trust odd or exotic calibers to perform consistently or be stocked consistently at stores. Sticking with the common auto-loader ammo types (380acp 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm, etc) will help with this, as there is a huge amount of ammo types and stock for all of these. Picking one is up to you, just keep in mind that larger calibers tend to recoil more and cost more to train with. If you have weak arms, fingers, or wrists, consider a smaller caliber or exercise the weak part of your arms until you can control your chosen caliber. I’ll go over how to determine what you want in a moment.

1/3
>>
>>33196553
>Ammo type.
This one is a no-brainer. Pick hollow points (HP) for defense, and full metal jacket (FMJ) for practice. Hollow points expand on impact, letting the bullet dump it's kinetic energy into soft targets, causing more grievous and life-threatening wounds than FMJ can. (Unless you hit the crook right in a central nervous system hotpoint, like the brainstem or spine, which means instant incapacitation.) You can get +P ammo for both if you so desire. If you picked a common caliber, then there is plenty of loads and brands to choose from. Look at online reviews and maybe do some testing for yourself if you like, but most will perform the same sans obviously badly made ammo.

2/4
>>
>>33196557
>Feel in your hands
Another easy one. Go to a gunstore and ask to handle pistols that catch your interest. Most people who work at gunstores know decent amount about guns and can answer your technical questions like “What’s the mag capacity? How much is it? How do I work it? What ammo does it take? Etc”. Now that you have the gun in your hands, check to confirm it’s not loaded even if the gunstore employee already did so. Why? Because it’s just a good habit to have. Does it feel comfortable in your hands? Can you reach the controls without shifting your hands too much? Can you grip it well? Does it point naturally? If no to any of these, ask to see another. Repeat until you find one you like. This can take time, so don’t get frustrated, just keep at it. Once you’ve found one, ask if it’s okay to dryfire. Most places will say yes. Does the trigger feel good? Can you fully pull the trigger without moving the gun much during the pull? Yes? Good. No? Well, you can still get the gun if you want. Trigger issues can be fixed with a trigger swap or you can train over it. The feel of a ‘wrong’ gun, however is much harder to train over. Now, back to the Caliber point. In an ideal situation, the gunstore will also have a range and will let you testfire the pistol. This is not always the case, however, so you may need to search a bit to find a range with the pistol you want to test for rent. Test it out, and think over how you did. Did the gun jump a lot in your grip? Did it hurt to fire? Were you able to stay on target with a man-sized target? Consider these questions and either move down in caliber or train hard if the gun was hard to control.

3/4
>>
>>33196560
>Training time.
This is a big, but simple one. Train, train, train. Train whenever you can afford the time and funds. If you think you’re truly terrible, consider a class taught by a professional. Practice makes perfect, and perfect aim makes buglers like Jamal dead before he can get you or steal your stuff.

>Extras
Ideally, your chosen gun will have a way to attach a flashlight to it. You may lose some of the element of surprise, but most home invaders are so surprised by being confronted and having a light shined at them that you can line up a shot can nail them before they can react. Just make sure the light is BRIGHT. If your gun cannot accept a flashlight without some crazy rigging, keep a flashlight with your gun. Also buy extra mags. A lot of them.

4/5 for real this time
>>
>>33196567
>Price
This is what puts off many people: Price. A good gun costs a lot of money, but is doesn't have too. Do research on your favored gun and it’s price. No matter what the MSRP is, you can find it for cheaper if you look hard enough as long as you didn’t pick a literal special snowflake. You can just google “gun selling websites” and find countless results. This may take time, as the gun community is much like the car community in that people think they can throw paint and gucci extras on the gun and drive the price up. Those guns are NOT worth that much, so don’t fall for it. If you do find one online, you’ll need to buy it on the website, then have it sent to an FFL that you can pick it up from. Look for police auctions as they are usually full of good deals on trade-in police guns. If you go the private sale route, be careful who you trust. If a seller wants to meet you behind a warehouse after sunset, you KNOW that gun is either stolen or you’re walking into an ambush. Use common sense, as these people are strangers trying to sell you weapons. Not all of them are trustworthy. Private sales should be done during the day in a place other people can spectate, and don’t be afraid to cancel the deal if the seller is acting funny or if the gun is not as described or otherwise in poor condition.

Once all is said and done, you’ll have a pistol to defend your home with.

>t. Guy who shot 3 home invaders in Cleveland ghetto over 4 years.

Also, moving out of shitty places is a good defense. I found that one out recently.

5/5
>>
>>33196553
>>33196557
>>33196560
>>33196567
>>33196579
>Today, /k/ was actually helpful
>>
>>33189803
>bought a nice house
>in a sketchy neighborhood
Wtf is wrong with you?
Its ons thing to live in asketchy neighborhood if you have to for some reason. But whythe fuck would you invest in a home there?
>>
>>33191351
>Or ... maybe the CIA was forced to give it up, because they were causing the death of so many urban black youth??

CIA doesn't shoot domestic niggers you imbecile.
>>
>>33197571
It's close to the place I work
>>
>>33197652
What part of town do you live/work in? Candelaria/Tramway here.
>>
File: FNS-40L grips TRL-1HL.jpg (219KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
FNS-40L grips TRL-1HL.jpg
219KB, 700x700px
>>33189803
.40 S&W with a WML and a suppressor when you get around to it.
>>
File: 40S&W.jpg (303KB, 778x450px) Image search: [Google]
40S&W.jpg
303KB, 778x450px
>>33197746
>>
1911 in condition 0 (cocked and unlocked)

if the intruder is armed its only going to be 1 or 2 shots to decide who wins, have it holstered by your bed with a pouch of magazines to carry with you if it does turn out to be a protracted gun fight with more than one person. I recommend 10 round magazines for more rounds and easier reload
>>
>>33196557
Do FMJs and HPs feel different when shot?
>>
>>33198737
They can, it's totally dependent on the loads
>>
>>33198737
I think federal makes 2 loads, one fmj and one jhp that match each other in ballistics and recoil and sells them together in one box. Always meant to buy that as it sounds like a good way to gradually stock up on SHTF ammo, but then I bought a case of PMC starfire.
>>
>>33198737
Yes, HP hurts a lot more because it expands while FMJ could possibly go right through and make a small hole.
>>
>>33190551
So glad I live in Los Alamos, Albuquerque is such a shithole now.

but really any good home defense gun is one you dont mind parting with once its used. I think you can get an M&P for about $450 which is a good balance between a quality gun but one you dont mind losing.
>>
>>33191393
The way I see it tho is even tho 9/40/45 is shitty af

One of those gotta be the least shittiest.

And in a world were penetration and velocity is a huge must.

.45 cal is definitely out of the question since it has no penetration at all compare to the other two.

So once again between 40 and 9 I say 40 is the least shitiest because it has way more fps for penetration and with velocity plus has more mass then 9mm.

Yeh 9mm has more cap but diffrence between 40 is only 2-3 rounds which is barely a diffence.

TLDR

40 cal has more penetration to pass through chest bone then 9mm with more mass then 9mm at same time.
>>
>>33196579
What do think of having to shoot someone? Even if they are of another race, you're still trying to incapacitate them to defend yourself. Does it weigh on you at all?
>>
>>33199865
If I had to kill someone in cold blood? It would devastate me. That's the sort of shit that puts you in a mental hospital.

Home invaders of any sort? I feel little for the 2 guys who did not survive when they broke into my home. They had no good intentions for me. If you purposely do grievous wrong to another person like breaking into their home with the intention of robbery or murder, you abandon any and all moral protection that you had. They should have known what could happen.
>>
>>33196579
>>33199960
Did you just shoot the home invaders right away? What is the best thing to do in that kind of situation?
>>
>>33200395
>Did you just shoot the home invaders right away?
In all 3 cases, yes.

>What is the best thing to do in that kind of situation?
It only takes a second to connect the sounds of a broken window/busted down door, to the sight of a broken window/busted down door, to the sight of a stranger in your home holding things belonging to you. It takes a second more to raise your gun and fire. No chasing, no talking, none of that. Just ID the intruder, then shoot to kill. It may sound cold, but it's less danger for you and less hassle for everyone if the burglar dies.

Just BE SURE of your target's ID as an invader. I cannot stress that enough.
>>
>>33190882
Works good against the nemesis, should do fine against home invaders.
>>
>>33200566
Thanks, that helps.
>>
>>33189803
Get a semi auto uzi or mac 11. 9mm, 30 rd, so you wont run out of ammo, sound wouldnt completely deafen you, and a child/girlfriend could use it if needed. Usually only around 700 bucks too
>>
>>33200790

>My redneck friend nig rigged his shit mac 11 knockoff go full retard because he doesn't give a fuck
>Went looking for trouble in shit neighborhood
>Found it
>Killed some nig nog mag dumping
>In jail

I can at least confirm it works.
>>
>>33200790
sounds pretty good, actually.
>>
>>33200909
How long in jail, my dude?
>>
>>33189803
Canik TP9
>9mm
>comes w/ 2 18rd mags
>~$350 in case you ever actually use it
>>
Glock 19 gen 4
>>
>>33190872
Its pro is also its con
>Not as strong as .45
>Lower capacity than a 9mm
>Is a good medium
>>
>>33200909
>killed nig nog mag dumping a full auto Mac 11
easily the best shit I read all day
>>
>>33200566

>In all 3 cases, yes.

Where the fuck do you live that you had to shoot intruders in your home on 3 occasions?
>>
>>33191499
kek uhm no no you cant
>>
>>33192620
You lived in the North Valley didn't you?
>>
>>33205046
Not that guy, but I'm pretty sure Texas allows open carry in places that aren't federal property. I live in nh and it's not uncommon to see people walking around with pistols on their hips.
>>
>>33205198
It is long gun open carry and pistol open carry with a chl.
>>
>>33190784
Scar-17s is about 3500 and I thoroughly believe this battle rifle is well worth that pricetag
>>
Over-penetration is a meme. Accept the fact you're going to murder your neighbors no matter what you buy and save yourself.

AR and AK pistols exist in the $450-550 range. There's no reason to settle for only 15 rounds of pistol shit.

If you're in this situation, your hearing was fucked anyway. Light some #niggas up.
>>
>>33205326
If I can find one under 4000 I'd buy it.
>>
>>33191499
I'm not the only man in DFW the OC a GP100 6"?
>>
>>33203684
The Cleveland ghetto. It really is that bad. The first two times were less than a month apart. The 3rd one was 3.5 years later, and that one survived and turned the whole thing into a court nightmare. I stopped being a cheap ass and moved out of Cleveland shortly afterward.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.