[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weapon light. WHY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 9

File: weapon-mounted-lights-cover[1].jpg (21KB, 620x434px) Image search: [Google]
weapon-mounted-lights-cover[1].jpg
21KB, 620x434px
Someone please explain this concept to me. You are moving about in the darkness, possibly going to meet an armed opponent. Why on EARTH would you want to reveal your exact position by prancing around with a light? Not even baiting here. I just don't get it.
>>
>>33185510
It's good to know where you're shooting at. Most people don't like blindly firing their weapon.

Also you don't just turn it on and leave it on while you're moving around.
>>
Is it posible to get a light that turns on at a horizontal angle, and off at a vertical angle?
>>
>>33185523

I do see the usefulness of a flashlight. And of seeing the target. I am just saying that unless the target is lying whimpering on the ground five feet away, you are in more trouble than the target while the flashlight is on. Also, the weapon lights I have seen so far has the functional range and strength of an oil lantern and the battery longevity of a pocket fan.
>>
Because we are the good guys, and we have that burden to bare
>>
>>33185510

Its for cops and for gear queens.

Youre completely right OP, why the fuck would you give away your position? Makes no sense.

NVG, now thats a different story.

Also, if its a home invasion you can always turn on the light.
>>
>>33185548

You could build one, certainly. The fun part comes when something suddenly happens at an unexpected angle, you move accordingly and your light is suddenly gone.
>>
>>33185602

We are the good guys? Since when? "The good guys" are whoever got to write the report or the history book.
>>
>>33185510
I have a light laser combo on the gun in my nightstand. I live in a studio apartment and have a clear line of sight to my door form my bed. I don't want to fuck around with the lights or trying to ID who's breaking into my place.
>>
>>33185510

So that you can identify your target and make sure you're shooting at an armed intruder and not your girlfriend, Pistorius.
>>
Also there is the issue that the flashlight, even when it points away from you, lights up the surroundings and affects your night vision. When it turns off you might well have poorer vision than your opponent for the next half minute.
>>
>>33185647

Good one. Heh. Pistorius. Most dubious 'I thought it was an intruder' killer ever.
>>
>>33185613

As for home invasions, I personally think it is foolish to turn the light on. You know every square inch of your home, even in the darkness, while the intruder does not. It might be the only advantage you have.
>>
>>33185548
I had a mercury switch light for my rifle. They're shit.
>>
File: IMG_5319.jpg (133KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5319.jpg
133KB, 1024x672px
Ever been in the dark and had a military grade flashlight attatchment shined in your eyes? Ever worn NIGHTVISION and had one of those lights shined directly into your eyes? No? Then you don't fully understand the power of the flashlight attatchment.
>>
>>33185592
You don't keep the torch constantly on, you flash it momentarily so as not to make yourself a target.

Here, listen to Haley blather on about torches for a while, you might actually learn something.
https://youtu.be/V78tH6aVpuM?t=373
>>
File: FNSlights3.jpg (272KB, 800x813px) Image search: [Google]
FNSlights3.jpg
272KB, 800x813px
>>33185510
There are like 1 million videos on youtube detailing effective WML techniques and illustrating what a huge advantage they are in a low light gunfight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3hI5fjNyI8&t=681s

here is a very very small piece of that delicious tactical pie
>>
>leave flashlight off, Wait to ambush intruder
>turn on light
>intruder is blinded and surprised
>you can obviously id good or bad guy
>shoot and kill if bad guy
Or
>hold fire and tell drunk room mate you nearly killed his dumb ass and to turn on the light next time.
>>
>>33185510
Frankly, there's no need for a light. Unless you live in the countryside on a moonless night, you will be able to see your target, and much better to boot, as your eyes would be night adapted from having recently woken up.
>>
File: archer-injuries-blindness.jpg (56KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
archer-injuries-blindness.jpg
56KB, 650x366px
>moving around
>light on
No. They're for target identification just before you shoot or literal pitch blackness where you'd be forced to just curl up into a ball otherwise.

>>33185746
Also this.
>>
>>33185510
To
A. Blind the target
B. Identify the target
C. Get an idea of what's behind the target
D. Get a real crisp and clear sight picture

Not having a light is irresponsible
>>
>>33185746

Thank you, I know what it is like to look into a flashlight from close up. It is getting close up to someone armed who doesn't want to be found while using a flashlight that I have an issue with. That it is useful to make unarmed civilians cower on zero range I understand.
>>
>>33185592
>strength of an oil lantern and the battery longevity of a pocket fan.
Get the TLR-1 HL then faggot, 800 lumens, and 1.5hr runtime on a set of 2 CR123A batteries.
You aren't going to be using this as a convenience light, get a 18650 powered tube flashlight for that.
>>
>>33185798

>hear noise from downstairs
>grab gun with light
>start walking down stairs
>turn on flashlight to where the noise come from
>dont see anything
>get shot from some corner in the room

Genius.
>>
>>33185840
>you don't know your house well enough to slice pie and avoid blind spots.
I pitty the fool
>>
>>33185868

>he cant even understand a couple of lines of greentext

Good luck m8, youll need it.
>>
>>33185874
the guy writing the greentext will need even moar help because he is too tactically retarded to use a weapon+light
Better off camping in his bedroom, or grabbing the Lidocane Lube.
>>
>>33185884

>be tough tactical light shining expert
>grab 100000000 lumens flashlight
>go downstairs
>use your internalized echo location skill to hear your opponent's heartbeat
>shine your beam of light towards the general direction of the intruder
>he gets instantly vaporized and the threat is over

Teach me!
>>
>>33185919
*draws katana*
*deflects beam with muramasa blade, incinerating you with the magicks of Nippon*
baka gaijin...
*nuts inside your wife, promises to see her again, never does*
>>
>>33185809
The flashlights are usually extremely powerful in terms of brightness and will blind you for days if you look at one while wearing some night visions
>>
>>33185747

Okay, I saw it. He did have some interesting points about what to look for in a portable light source. Nothing about the issue of self visibility though.
>>
>>33185510
1 so you can see what you are shooting at.
2 in a dark room, when someone shines a very bright flashlight in your face, your pupil squeezes down to limit light getting in and burning your retina. As a result, you loose the ability to see anything that is not being lit (like the guys behind the light)
Sure, once you are done wincing in pain from the 2,000 lumen light blasting you in the face, you might think to aim at the light and shoot (if you haven't been shot already), but unlike the jackass in OP's pic, a smart operator will have the light on the side of the weapon, (or not even attached to the weapon) and you will miss.
>>
If you ever dont want to get spotted... YOU DONT TURN ON THE LIGHT

If you want to blind someone in the dark or lighten up yourself/others at the same time, push a button
>>
>>33185746

I have never had the opportunity to try night vision gear, alas. But I do understand it work with light enhancement.

Slightly unrelated; two days ago a couple of local deer hunters were doing some night hunting. One of the guys were using what the media refers to as 'heatseeking' equipment. He saw something, fired, waited a couple of minutes, saw more heat and fired at it again. When he eventually went over to inspect he found that he had successfully killed his mate. The first shot maimed, the second killed. He'd been crouching, see, rather than standing.
>>
>>33185990
if you stubbornly want to go lightless, go ahead. But hope you don't live with others or have family in the house when you hear that bump in the night and think you're sam fisher.
>>
>>33185787

This isn't an issue in my world. I live alone these days and I always lock my doors. If anyone stirs inside my walls it's either Santa or someone with illegal intentions. And I am a bit old for believing in Santa.
>>
If someone comes at you with $2500 night vision, just hit em in the eyes with a $100 flashlight and theyll be blind like a flashbang from counterstrike
>>
>>33186067
cool. so why are you asking about lights then? You live alone, so why do you think everyone else does?
>>
>Nightvision
>Flashlight
>Not firing aircraft carrier grade military flares out of an underbarrel grenade launcher
>Not illuminating environments froms a distance while simultatenously concealing your own
Fucking newfags
>>
>>33186053

Nope, not living with others. Locked doors, locked windows, don't ever get unexpected visitors after midnight which are going to be welcome.

But let's not make this entirely into a home defense thread. I would like to hear what experiences anyone have with weapon light in a non-familiar location. Where you don't know what are in the corners. Better yet, I would like to hear anyone with experience in being hunted at night.
>>
>>33186078

It wasn't meant as a home defense thread, it just turned that way. See my post above.
>>
>>33185990
If that's all you surmised, then you either skipped parts or are retarded.

The point is to keep moving and scanning, the light you give out disorients the enemy more than it makes you visible. And if you think the bad guy isn't going to notice you stumbling around in the dark, you're delusional.
>>
>>33185822
This.
>>
>>33185840
>grab gun without light
>dont see anything because the fucking lights are off
>get shot from some corner in the room

protip: a person standing still is going to be more difficult to see than a person that's moving.
>>
>>33186145

I saw it all. I still claim he didn't say anything about being seen while using the light. Unless I missed out on a sentence somewhere.

As for the rest, well, I still wait for someone to offer their actual field experience on the topic.
>>
>>33186219

Make up your mind.

Youre either completely 100% solid snake sleathmode, so he doesnt hear you, or he hears you with or without a light.

Either way, having a light is irrelevant.

If he hears you, hell hide and wont move.

If he doesnt hear you, you can hear him.

This isnt rocket science.
>>
>>33186227
Are you legitimately retarded, or are you just pretending?

It's far more important to see where you're going, where your targets are, and at the same time disorient your enemies than it is to "be sneaky".

Let me spell it out for you: YOU NEED TO FUCKING SEE. You either get a light, or NODs and an IR illuminator. And even if you nave NVGs, sometimes it's still better to use visible lights because it disorients the enemy.
>>
>>33186269

Do you live in a cave where there is no light whatsoever? You do realise that most people can see a tiny bit in dark right?

Some of use dont live in basements.
>>
Useless on a flamethrower.
>>
>>33186288
Sometimes you can't reach the switch, and being able to control the only light source is an advantage.

If the whole house is dark and you turn on lights as you go, if someone is hiding in a dark room and you're coming in from the light, you can be damn sure you're getting shot.
>>
>>33186315

Dont move the goalposts. Noone is talking about turning on light switches.
>>
>>33186322
Oh, so that's what you meant.

Yeah you're not going to see enough in the dark, you're not a cat.
>>
>>33186239
Are you agreeing with me?
>>
File: WP_20170303_009[2].jpg (1MB, 2383x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170303_009[2].jpg
1MB, 2383x1728px
>Why would you ever want to see what you're shooting at in conditions where light is either present in low quantities or absent entirely?
These threads are b8, but apparently effective b8.
>>
>>33186315
have fun shooting people that you dont want to shoot.
the main reason imo is target identification. fits with what we were taught in mil too.

>see someone/something
>flash on
>identify threat
>light off
>step left or right
>shoot
>step left or right again
>>
>>33186373
Misquote?
>>
>>33186380
yep, was meant for >>33186288
>>
>>33186239
>Make up your mind.

The point is that walking down a set of stairs into a dark room is a dangerous proposition regardless.

If you have a light you not only have initiative to search for them, but also to blind them. It also stands to reason that if you're in your house, there really is no problem with just turning the light on and sitting at the top of the stairs ready to blast anyone that tries to come up.

The idea that you're going to ninja your way through your house against an unknown number of attackers that are waiting for you is pure fantasy. If a guy is really waiting for you at the bottom of a staircase, then you definitely will not see him before he sees you unless you have a light.

Furthermore if you live with other people, then not having some kind of light (weapon mounted or hand held) is dangerously irresponsible.
>>
>>33186347
I guess this pic confirms that the lightfags are just poor wannabeoperators without any real sense
>>
>>33186347

I may be foolish, I may be many other things, but I am not yet desperate enough for things to do to bother with making bait threads.

Of course I have flashlights. Somewhere I even have one of those laser thingies that used to be hot shit. And I would not run around aimlessly in unlit surroundings without a flashlight. But all that stops mattering once you become aware that someone dangerous is within the nearest few hundred yards. And that is when I see the damn light thingie as a liability.
>>
>>33185510
Clear your house in the night with out one sometime, just a test.....
Before you say ill turn the lights on remember power outages and some one might flip the breaker before comming in.
Also light in the face blinding
>>
>>33186394
And this post confirms that this thread is shitty bait. You don't have a fucking leg to stand on. Here's your (You) your so desperately trying to get.
>>
>>33186391

So in other words, the safest thing to do is to let them steal your tv, lock your bedroom door and call the cops.

SHOCKER
>>
>>33186394
>an aimpoint micro and $500+ in surefire brand lights alone
>this guy sho am poor and dumb
>>
>>33186441

That I can do. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night is one thing. Scanning through the entire dark house with a gun in hand will be interesting. Thanks.
>>
>>33186448
>defending tripshits
>>33186471
Exactly over $500 in lights when he could have bought a lot of ammo, some gear, or some other shit for his guns that would have been useful. hence why I said he was senseless and a mall ninja faggot playing pretend.
>>
>>33186551
>Not even having a response

At least it's confirmed bait now. Well, you tried.
>>
Trying one more time before I call it a day. Does anyone have actual field experience with weapon lights? Soldiers, police, security guards?
>>
>>33186470
>be anon
>be massive faggot
>sleeping in home with family
>suddenly hear noise and something break
>grab gun
>make sure not to bring flashlight because if you turn it on the burglar will 360 no scope your loose asshole
>see movement in kitchen
>magdump.png
>thud
>turn on kitchen light
>not a burglar just faggot husband
>get assraped in prison for murder

Gee anon I can't see anything wrong with your argument at all
>>
File: 1477449485257.jpg (52KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1477449485257.jpg
52KB, 960x540px
>>33186551
>mall ninja faggot playing pretend

>advocates sneaking through the house in the dark with a gun like a videogame
>>
>>33185510
Most weapon lights are so bright that if you're shining it on someone you're blinding the living fuck out of them.

Rarely are you using it to engage targets that are further than 5-10 yards away.
>>
>>33185510
You use the light to tactically blind a prospective opponent and IDENTIFY your target (who is hopefully not your son, friend etc).
Use a flash, flash, move, illuminate, fire.
First 2 flashes are to identify targets and position.
Move is so that they don't shoot back at where they saw the light.
Illuminate the target (which you remember from the flashes).
Fire IF your target is IDENTIFIED as a tango.

Also, fuck lasers. Lasers will help you shoot the black silhouette that may be your friend/family/drunk dog.
>>
>>33187434

Turn it around. Now you are the guy in the darkness, and someone are approaching with a gun with a light on it. At what range will you fire, and will you allow them to come directly at you? What works in the dark against an opponent with a crowbar will not work against an oppo with an AR-15.

I don't have the answers to this stuff, mind you. I'm just looking for them.
>>
>>33185510
if you wake up to noises coming from your kitchen and you see a dark figure moving about in the dark room, are you just going to open fire? or check to see if its your wife/family member first?
>>
>>33187492
Lasers are good for quick-draw, I don't think anyone would pretend they are for target acquisition.
>>
>>33187492
lasers that are bright enough can illuminate the target
>>
>>33187494
If I'm looking for an intruder in the dark it's going to be in my home, none of the rooms are bigger than 8 yards.
>>
>>33187505

I live alone. But I have not always. And back then, I would not have fired. But I MIGHT have asked 'what's up?' and if I had heard a familiar voice I'd relax. Somewhat. Why the fuck would they be moving round in the utter dark?
>>
>>33187529
DON'T use lasers for quick draw. Practice more and bring your sights up to your eyes. The laser will not help you in the long run and will actually hinder you learning how to fast draw in the long run.
The only use of a laser is to dance around the feet of women and children when you are in the shit, so that you don't have to fire warning shots and give away your position,
OR if you are using an IR laser with NODs. You can tell a lot about the intention of a person when you shine a laser at their feet.
>>
>>33187543
Use a light.
Be smart.
Light is a weapon in the right hands and can be used to SAVE people's lives - the intruder's life or the life of a family/friend/drunk dog.
>>
>>33187559
If you're already practiced with your irons, lasers are fine for self-defense CC. Lasers are objectively superior aiming because you don't have to shift your focus. It's only a crutch if you aren't well-trained and is better if you are in those life-or-death moments where every tenth of a second counts.
>>
>>33185781
wow he sure talked a lot and didnt discuss a single useful technique
>>
>>33187589
I agree. If you don't want to learn correctly, and only would ever shoot a gun that is in your bead stand during an intruder, a laser is fine. It would be superior to nothing else, but I still advocate a good tac light (200 lumens min) over a laser anyday. You are far more likely to shoot your family member/friend/drunk dog if you cannot identify your target. Only a light can aid you in target identification.
>>
>>33185510
>>33185510
>>33185510
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqGKWvSrcg [Embed]

goto12:17

It is not the greatest course, but it explains the general use of a flashlight with the use of a carbine with momentary of and flash, flash, move, illuminate, fire.
>>
>>33186043
holy fuck
do you have a link to the news? holy shit, you'd think a man screaming his lungs out would tell you it wasn't durr you just shot
>>
>>33187595
Sorry I linked the wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ3hTUzWqQ
>>
I feel like people in this thread don't understand that weapon lights can be turned off really quickly and easily.
>>
>>33187723
Great video.
Check out mine-->>>33187660
Cheers m8
>>
>>33187793
Exactly. It is also a REALLY good reason to have a momentary-on button as a tac light for a weapon.
>>
>>33187807
Love me some disruptive environment Haley action
>>
>>33187836
Yea, Haley is a boss.
>>
>>33185510

There's a reason weapon lights don't have constant on buttons, you fucking retard.

If it's not pitch black, you keep it off until you need to ID something.

If it is pitch black,
You enter a room, flash it, if there's a threat, shoot them.

If not, you let go of the button and continue with the light off.

How are you this dumb?
>>
>>33185630
We're still here aren't we? Must be winning a fuckton.
>>
>>33185510
At first thought it does seem like a horrible idea, but maybe by blinding them it does give you a slight advantage overall.
>>
>>33187976

Fuck off fag
>>
>>33185654
How the fuck would the flashlight blind you, the person behind the light, but not the guy looking into the light?
>>
>>33185809
It's not from close up. An 800 lumen flashlight will blind you from 100 yards away.
>>
So you can see whether or not you're going to shoot someone with whom you live, or a burglar. You dumb nigger.
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (387KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1033.jpg
387KB, 1080x810px
Guys, guys! why don't we just shoot the intruder with a flare gun? Then he's shot and illuminated simultaneously! I mean sure there's a slight fire hazard but it's not like y'all live in flimsy wooden houses right? RIGHT?
>>
Just illuminate the night with gunshots
>>
>>33188245
This desu, all you nerds need to chill and just do the thing in the opening sequence of Equilibrium.
>>
yall mather fuckers need to play doom 3 I bought a weapon light just because fuck that game.
>>
>>33188412
Yet when you play the BFG Edition you realize how lacking the game is without that added challenge.
>>
>>33187682

There are news links but the articles are in Norwegian and the photos show little more than cops in snow.
>>
>>33188099

The flash light will be reflecting off everything ahead of it.
>>
File: seriously.gif (993KB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.gif
993KB, 236x224px
>>33185510
>why would you want to positively identify your target before shooting them
Because it's shockingly common for people to kill their spouse/parent/child/friend/roommate after hearing a bump in the and mistaking them for an intruder
>>
>>33185781
which is the best general purpose light of those 3?
>>
>>33190801
Inforce APL is best concealment, tlr-1 is best general purpose, tlr-4 is good if you have severely limited rail space.
>>
>>33185510
I'd kinda like to see what I'm shooting at.

>MUH POSITION

In the dead silence of night, they can probably hear my bedroom door open and footfalls on my wood floor, but that goes both ways.
>>
>>33187589
>Not point shooting
>Relying on a difficult to track laser

This is not the way of the gunslinger
>>
>>33190801
I'm the guy who posted and my personal rec is the TLR-1 HL.

I love the inforce for dem aesthetics and controls though.
>>
>>33185548
You mean like the hbo intro logo?
Would be kind of cool, not sure the usefulness though
>>
>>33185510

so you dont walk around your house in the dark looking for a redguard
>>
>>33187589
Looking for a dot you might not even find well in proper lighting is slower than properly aligning sights and firing, or point shooting at extermely short ranges.
>>
>>33187660
Damn I hate that tryhard nigger.
>>
>>33192756
Some cop youtuber tested for a while and was consistently and noticeably faster with a laser than with irons.
>>
>>33193446
And cops are notoriously bad shots. What's your point?
>>
>>33185840

>grab gun with light
>hear noise again
>magdump in its general direction
>it was your girlfriend getting home from work late

Genius.
Just because a weapon has a light doesn't mean it's always on, you use it to identify targets you are unsure about.
>>
>>33185510
WATCH SOME FUCKING JOHN LOVELL AND STOP BITCHING IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN FIREFIGHTS WITH FLASHLIGHTS. LISTEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE.
>>
>Weapon lights just give your position away and will get you shot
>Forward assists just jam up your weapon
>.223 is a varmint-killer round
What's the fucking deal with all this fuddlore making the rounds in the past 24 hours?
>>
>>33186043
>>33188443
So are the local leftists calling for a ban on thermal vision equipment?
>>
>>33195213

As far as I have picked up yet, there's not been any talk of bans as yet. I guess these particular devices have been on the market for years and this is the first someone gets killed by one. It's a strange country, mind you. We aren't allowed full auto anything, can't cc either, but sound suppressors are legal for anyone.
>>
>>33195169
>Forward assists just jam up your weapon
Wasn't Eugene Stoner against the forward assist though?
>>
>>33195629
JMB was against thumbing the hammer
>>
>>33195629
Wasn't Kalashnikov against 5.45?

That's an appeal to authority if there ever was one.
>>
>>33195698
I wasn't really saying that forward assist is bad. I was just asking because Stoner's dislike of the forward assist might be the source to that claim
>>
>>33191536
can't believe no one else thought this was funny
>>
>>33195728
Fair enough, it may have been, but the oft-cited reasoning for that dislike it pretty fucking out there to anyone who has actually spent a decent amount of time shooting an AR. The circumstances needed to make tapping a carrier a rifle-killing measure are really, really convoluted, it's far more likely to be of use press-checking, tapping a stubborn round out of a mag, or just giving the carrier a nudge that it may need once in a blue moon.
>>
>>33185510
"What is a momentary on switch?"

Have you even used a weapon mounted light before?
>>
>>33195838

Yes. I know how the thing works. I also have a rough idea of how zeppeliners and two pronged forks work. My question is what their value are in a combat situation. You know, when someone else is in a possession of a gun as well.
>>
>>33185687
>t. man who will shoot his son by accident
>>
>>33186118
>not shooting the intruder with a parachute flare
It's like you're not even a patriot.
>>
>wandering the darkness trying to find your target
>hear footsteps around the corner
>step out of cover and find a silhouette of a threat
>aim
>turn on light
>light going from 0 to 100 in an instant completely blinds the guy letting you mag dump with little chance of accurate return fire
>also you have way better visibility

That's why you have a weapon light.
>>
>>33185510

Lights are just an excuse to sell shitty lights for gear queers.
>>
>>33197513

>aim
>turn on light
>the guy isnt where you thought he was
>he sees your outline now
>shoots you in the head

Smart!
>>
>>33185510
I bet you're the kind of faggot that doesn't believe in break in periods for boots
>>
>>33185510
How the fuck else are you supposed to see shit.?
Are you brainless or do you own NVG?
>>
>>33197610

Do you live in a cave?
>>
>>33185510
Still looking for a flashlight offset handle. Three foot or more.
>>
>>33185613
In the event I was in a battle at night, in the woods or out in the open, I'd prefer to stay dark the whole time I'm approaching an enemy. But once I fire my first shot, I've given away my position anyway.

I'd rather turn the light on, shoot, then turn it off and find cover. From that point I'd have already planned out my next movement to a different position. Hopefully the light I'd shown on my enemy will make their pupils contract and reduce their ability to see in the dark, so I can get to that cover without being spotted.

Now if my enemy is in that condition. With me in the woods, stalking through the dark, having just fired a pot-shot in their direction (I know where they are), they would want something to help them find me. They'd turn on their lights, hoping to spot my movement to cover so they can figure out where the next shot will come from.

And now they're illuminated, and I'm in the dark. I'd be keeping one eye shut so I can use it when the lights go back out. And the whole process can start again.

That's why they put switches on the flashlights. So you can turn them off again and take advantage of the dark. It'd certainly be better than two parties engaging in total darkness. But I admit there is a give and take to the whole thing.

Now if I had a home invader, you bet I'd want that flashlight. I'd want to verify quickly that it's no one I know or love. I'd want to ensure that there's no one behind them, and they're not holding my daughter in their arms. I'd want to know, quickly, whether they are armed. I'd make this decision within 1 second before firing. I could also use it on follow-up shots, in case I was blinded by the flash of my gun. And I'd know whether the bad guy was on the floor, or just ducking for cover.

I don't have a light on any of my guns, but I've been wanting to add one. I'd prefer being able to remove it during the day, and pop it on at night.
>>
>>33185510
The idea is when you flip it on and you can make the split second decision to take the shot before he does if you have to.
>>
>>33197600

>aim
>double tap
>hear thump as they drop to the ground
>its your room mate

You're right though, becoming a felon is better than being dead. I guess you'll have a long time to sit and think about how you could have avoided that situation by identifying your target first.

>he sees your outline now

Not unless you're walking into a dark room with no light and have your back to them instead of clearing the whole room like an intelligent person. Your suggestion is what.. you just don't see them, period?
>>
>>33198164

Why would your roommate break your window and not turn on the light?

If hes drunk hed be making noise.

Please use your brain.
>>
This debate always goes the same way, opponents are always belligerent in response and won't concede on even obvious advantages. Proponents recognize the advantages and disadvantages and how to overcome them in some cases.

Why do some people not want others to use weapon lights so bad? If you think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, don't use one, and exploit the disadvantage that you see in others. If you believe the opposite, minimize the disadvantages when possible and exploit the disadvantages of the lightless.

If you are trying to meme lights into disuse in order minimize the numbers of people using them in preparation for the possibility home invasions using night vision, prepare your retinas.
>>
>>33197944
Another great tactic for an immobile enemy is to catch their attention with your light, fire a shot, then leave the light pointed in their direction. Then they remain illuminated, and you can travel in darkness while they try to shoot your light.
>>
>>33185510
Yes shoot your child/wife/drunk neighbor because you thought there was a burglar in the house.
>>
>>33198187
>Please use your brain.

Expecting everyone to just use their brain is fucking retarded. If your roommate breaks a window on his way in after a night out drinking and you shoot him because you *know* your roommate would never act like a drunken dumbass, and shooting silhouettes is totally fine and cool, you deserve the prison sentence they'll give you.

Please learn basic firearms safety.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.