[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gunsmithing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 20160727_083523.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_083523.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How does someone become a gunsmith? What work does the typical gunsmith do? What tools are needed?Pic unrelated, Chilean training ship Esmeralda passing the USS Missouri.
>>
Be very clear, do you want to be a gunsmith or do you want to fantasize that you're going to invent guns? Two very different things

>how
Get a certificate from a gun smithing course or lie about it

>work
85% tapping receivers for scopes, 5% swapping pistol sights or other dumb shit that retards can't do themselves, and 10% telling people you don't have the equipment or time to do what they want because all you know how to do is tap for scope mounts

>tools
All your regular maintenance shit, drill press, machinist vice, rifle vice to get you started

>posting unrelated stupid pic
Enjoy your thread going to the last page with only one response
>>
>inb4 I don't classes I'm a marine
>>
Go to a reputable school (Trinidad State Junior College). Receive a decent education taught by angry fudds and want to be artisanal wood carvers. Spend $35, 000 in tuition, fees, parts, tools, and your own project guns. Graduate and attend Brownells job fair for industry and niche market entrepreneurs looking to hire recent graduates. Offered Cabela's 10.50hr, Bass Pro $11.10hr, Wilson Combat (parts station fitting one piece) $12, STI (fitting one piece) $12, Turnbull (apprentice in bluing) $11.

Walk away from gunsmithing, fat old fudds, autistic muhoperators, and transmilsurpgenders to get a CDL and drive truck or operate heavy equipment.

Fuck gunsmithing and anyone around it.

Seriously, the fucks you meet in and around this could make you melt your guns and join the Brady Campaign.
>>
You don't. You become a machinist, and then fuck around with gun parts if you're lucky.
>>
>>33185047
Pretty much describes my life. I asked a gunsmith for advice on how to get into the field, and he said take some machining classes. So I started those, liked it, got a job, and gonna try to get into gunsmithing as sort of a hobby/side job.
>>
>>33184972
Had the same experience except went to the other colorado school. Be me, 22, had just graduated and went to the job fair. Everyone looked at me like I was still sitting in my pants. They are a bunch of elitists that think their shit don't stink, and are everything wrong with the gun industry. And the other thing is people don't bat an eye over a huge specialized labor fee like an auto mechanic but if you ask for a decent amount for labor being essentially a gun mechanic they lose their shit.
>>
>>33184515
Heh I remember that thread had a great summary of information and limits for the field
>>
>>33185154
>>33185466
Seems the only way to do it right is do the mechanic work then open your own business on the side and undercut fudds for spite....... unless you are doing some intricate as fuck carving/engraving
>>
>>33184038
I don't want to invent guns, I just thought it would be enjoyable to work on them. And fair point about the pic, but I didn't really have anything related to gunsmithing, and I thought it looked cool.
>>33184515
I don't understand? I'm not a marine, and I am willing to take classes.
>>33185047
>>33185154
>>33185643
That seems like a nice life, being a machinist and gunsmithing on the side. How does one become a machinist? What I mean is do i need a bachelor's degree, or an associates?
>>
I know everyone shits on would-be inventors, but if I did want to try designing guns what would be realistic skills/trades to learn? I know CNC work is pretty hot right now, not sure if its applicable to gun design though.

Reminder that Barret started in a garage with no formal experience
>>
>>33186409
CNC is pretty much king in manufacturing. Manual machining is only for personal use, very small scale production and for some parts that require it

but for designing, knowing manual machining would probably be preferable.

I'm not in the field, but I'm studying mechanical engineering. You might want to look at things like materials selection, design of components to withstand static and cyclical loading and maybe fluid dynamics if you care about ballistics or fine tuning a gas tube.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.