[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firearm Pronunciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: Kjoke.png (323KB, 2400x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Kjoke.png
323KB, 2400x1227px
>Mosin Nagant
Moss-in Nah-gau

(used to say Moh-zen, but learned a little Russian and realized this was inaccurate)

>FAL
Eff-eh-el

>AUG
Eh-you-gee

>Heckler & Koch
Heck-lur [and] Caulk

>Garand
Gah-rand (I kind of fluctuate on this one, though.)

>Carbine
Car-byne (not car-been)

Feel free to add other examples.
>>
File: Ackchyually.png (24KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ackchyually.png
24KB, 200x200px
>>33165323
>Heckler & Koch
>Heck-lur [and] Caulk
Incorrect. Koch is pronounced like Coke.
>>
>>33165323
shut the fuck up faggot, ill say them how i want

Moze in Na gaunt

Fahl

Awg

Heckler and Coke

Car bean
>>
>>33165323
It's car bean you yankee shit
>>
>Mosin Nagant
Moss-in Nuh-jant

>FAL
Fahl

>AUG
Auhg

>Heckler & Koch
Heck-lehr [and] cauch

>Garand
Ger-rand

>Carbine
Car-byne
>>
>Mo-sin Nay-gant
>Hackers & Cock
>Fail
>Ugh
>Crablegs
>Gerund
>>
>Mosin Nagant
>moh-ist nug-get

>FAL
>Fah-le

>AUG
aw-guh

>Heckler & Koch
Sm-ith-an-de-glo-ck

>Garand
dog-shit

>Carbine
cur-bin

fucking retard.
>>
>>33165438
>Moss-in Nuh-jant
>Nug-jant

Wtf
>>
>>33165512
NUHJAHNT
>>
>>33165512
>>33165536
kek
>>
>Mosin Nagant
Moh-zin Nuh-gahnt
>FAL
Eff-eh-el
>AUG
Eh-you-gee
>Heckler & Koch
Heck-lur [and] Coke
>Garand
Guh-rand, even though I know it's actually Guh-rahnd. Old habits die hard.
>

It gets a little complicated with "Carbine" because I pronounce it differently in different cases.
>M1 Carbine
M1 Car-bean
>.30 Carbine
Thirty car-byne
>>
>Mosin nagant
Moist nugget

>FAL
Phal

>AUG
Ogg

>Heckler and Koch
Heckle my cock

>Garand
Grand

>Carbine
Carbon
>>
>moy-stuh nug-get
>foo-seal aw-toe lew-gare
>ayy you gee
>ach-en-kay
>grah-end
>car-bean
Fuck the police.
>>
>>33165323
mö-sin nah-gant
F-A-L
A-U-G
Heckler and coke (read their q&a)
Gar-and
Car-bine

It's carbine not carbean. E at the end makes the I pronounced capitally you inbred fucks
>>
File: Screenshot_20170301-215934.png (537KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170301-215934.png
537KB, 1440x2560px
>>33165323
>> Garand
So close. Every one forgets that John Garand was a French Canadian. French Canadians alsace stupid names.
>>
>>33165700
Jean Garand** my bad.
>>
>>33165323
You must be some kind of retard to think that Koch is pronounced like caulk. It's variably pronounced like coke or cook, not fucking caulk. You must suck a lot of caulk or something to reach that conclusion.
>>
>>33165678
Karabiner -> Carabiner -> Carbine
It doesn't change pronunciation just because your language has speshul snowflake shit going on. It's like saying you want a "CROYSANT". Your language is dumb and you're dumb, stop trying to make words you steal dumb too.
>>
>Car-Bean

This always fucking triggers me. It sounds so fucking stupid and way too many people use it.
>>
>>33165813
I can speak a little Russian, and some French, but I don't know any German beyond "danke".
>>
>>33165380
>>33165390
>>33165438
>>33165456
>>33165678
>>33165613

Wrong.
It's Heck-lerr [and] ko-h
(the h is pronounced like the first letter of hotel or hell)
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 587x117px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 587x117px
>>33166145
It's "coke," bro. Says so on the FAQ of hk-usa.com. Don't know if it's pronounced differently in German.
>>
>>33165323
It's "moseen nagahn" (pronounce the "t" lightly or not at all) and if you look at dictionary definitions, "carbean" and "carbyne" are both correct.
>>
>>33165323
>being this autistic
kay wai ess faggot
>>
>>33166244
It most definitely is. see München (munich), which is pronounced Moon-hen, or Schumacher, which is pronounced Shoo-maher.
>>
>>33166304
it's pronounced "kiss", asshat
>>
>>33166433
>München (munich), which is pronounced Moon-hen
>Schumacher, which is pronounced Shoo-maher.
As someone who speaks German, no. Also, other anon is right, it's "coke".
>>
>>33166433
>>33166526
Or, depending on your accent, "Koch" could also be pronounced "Kosh" with a long "o" sound. I think that's only a Bavarian thing though.
>>
>it's pronounced coke, it says so on hk usa

you do realize they just say that for braindead americans who can't wrap their head around the concept of other languages? it's not actually pronounced that way
>>
>>33165323
>Gah-rand
Now see, the thing is, John C Garand was a French Canadian. So I can't see him or his family pronouncing it 'gah-rand'. 'Rand' sounds like a thoroughly Americanized syllable. If I recall correctly, it's reportedly from family members of him who have said it's pronounced 'gah-rand', but I just can't believe it. Perhaps if he had kids, and those kids stayed in the US and never so much as returned to Canada to visit their father's side of the family, then I could understand the mistake.

I thoroughly believe that it's pronounced "guh-raund", though even that sounds Anglicized. A bit more of a Francophone "guh-raun" with the 'n' almost silent, that's probably how they say it in Quebec, which is where he's from, but I go with "guh-raund".

>Mosin Nagant
To my knowledge, the Russians don't even mention Nagant, from whom Mosin had basically stolen the mag design from. I pronounce it Moh-zin. As for the M1895 Nagant, 'nah-gahnt'. Nah-gant, with a hard A like in rant, that sounds very Americanized. Like nails on a chalkboard.

>AUG/FAL
Yeah, they're letters, not words.

>HK
Koch sounds too close to 'cock' for my liking, so I stick with 'coke' just because.

>Carbine
Car-byne. 'Nuff said. 'Car-been' definitely seems like something from America as well. Certainly never heard a Canadian say it. The one time I accidentally said it because I was watching so many American firearm vids, I was very quickly corrected.

>Mannlicher-Carcano
I hear it's 'man-licker', basically. No joke. Needless to say, I call it 'man-lich-er'. As for Carcano, nothing special; 'car-cah-no'.
>>
>>33165700
So it's reportedly 'gare-end'? That doesn't sound too French to me. I mean, a Hell of a lot better than 'gah-rand', but doesn't seem to me to quite have that Quebecer flavour of 'guh-raund' or 'guh-raun'.

Well, actually... looking back at a Quebecer I had worked with for quite a bit, he used to love saying "for fuck's sake", but with his accent it sounded like "foh fuck sake". Now if I keep that accent on my tongue and bring Garand in the mix, I do find that it ends up with that sort of 'errand' rhyming. 'Geh-rehnd', sort of. "Traviye, tabernack, Garand." I likely fucked the spelling up good and proper, but 'traviye' means 'get to work', 'tabernack' is a strange Quebecer curse word that stems from tabernacle which is something to do with Catholic churches or some such thing. Those two words/terms together was another thing that said Quebecer loved to say. I think 'geh-rehnd' might be more Quebecer, while the version I've been using for years; 'guh-raund' is a bit more like a France accent. Though granted, I've neve been to France nor met an actual Frenchman from France in real life, so I could be altogether fucked up.

Very interesting stuff, though.
>>
>>33166819
The Koch Brothers go by "Coke" over "Cock" because people would laugh at their name because they are that stupid. It really is "Cock." Besides, who the fuck says Heckler and Koch and not HK in the first place?
>>
>>33166819
Proofs.
>>
>>33165323
>Mosin Nagant
Exactly how it's spelled, you sperg. Why the fuck would someone translate it into english as that when it's pronounced something else? Think a little bit

>FAL
This and AUG I pronounce the letters because that's how it's supposed to be. You don't pronounce CIA as SEE-AH, because that'd be retarded

>Heckler & Koch
There's no provision for a silent CH sound in german so I don't know where that fag is getting that from, but even Germans have different pronunciations for it from what I've seen so I just call them H&K

>Carbine
It's car-byne in english, the original french pronunciation would by car-been, but that's still not 100% right. The real pronunciation would be cara-been

Y'all need to git gud with your English
>>
>>33166819
So instead of setting people straight they'd rather create more disinfo? Sure dude
>>
File: 1436063929301.jpg (1MB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1436063929301.jpg
1MB, 1536x1024px
>tfw you know pronounce FAL like it's a word is wrong but you will never stop doing it
It just rolls off the tongue so well
>>
>>33167183
>>33167350
>Go to translator website
>Set German to English
>Type koch
>Listen
Yes. Even Germans know people would laugh at the name sounding like cock.
>>
>>33167371
This is so dumb, like really you should be ashamed. You realize that even in English we don't all pronounce words the same, even if they're spelled the same. Especially if that word is someone's name. Now look at how phonetically complex German is, do you think there's a slight chance that what they're describing their name sounding like is different that the google translate version? Hmmm?
>>
File: Hweat Thins.jpg (19KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
Hweat Thins.jpg
19KB, 340x340px
Hhhhhweet Thins.
>>
>>33167425
Never said google translate, but that pronounces it the same as the rest of the sites. Babylon, translate, etc. It's "cock." And since, kochen is to cook and pronounced as "cock-en," one can infer that "Koch" is "cock." Furthermore, the surname "Koch" is pronounced many ways and can be said as cock, coke, kosh or kotch. So, none are wrong, and it would happen to be best to use the pronunciation of a German word that exists. Koch = cock.
>>
>>33167623
>the surname "Koch" is pronounced many ways and can be said as cock, coke, kosh or kotch. So, none are wrong
>So, none are wrong
So why are you arguing a moot point? It's already a possibility it could be coke and the fucking company says it's coke, how can you even argue with this? Jesus I know /k/ is autistic but come on man you're better than this
>>
It's gare-und, you heathens.
>>
>>33167675

Germans pronounce it [kɔx]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Po20Q_ZJs

Americans pronounce it like the softdrink, "Coke". Why? Probably because Americans think it sounds too naughty.
>>
>>33165323
your Garand is wrong. it's "Ger-end"
>>
>>33167733
OH SHIT WATCH OUT HE'S STILL GOING FOR IT
>>
>>33167763
I'm a different person, thanks. I thought I'd put my two cents in.
>>
>>33167787
Mhm sure thing bud
>>
File: stargate-sg1-jackson-season-7.jpg (115KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
stargate-sg1-jackson-season-7.jpg
115KB, 1080x600px
>>33167311
>Exactly how it's spelled, you sperg. Why the fuck would someone translate it into english as that when it's pronounced something else?

1. This is absurd logic. Most foreign words are not pronounced as they are spelled in English.

2. The above is especially true with names.

The "mos" in "Mosin" is pronounced just like the "mos" in "Moscow". It's the same characters. Technically speaking, "Mocинa" (the "Mosin" part of Mosin-Nagant in Cyrillic) would translate to "Mosina", and be pronounced "Moss-in-ah". To me, it seems fair to keep most of the pronunciation, but just drop the "ah" sound at the end, since Mocинa is never translated "Mosina".

"Nagant" is a French name, and like many French words, the "ant" bit is pronounced "au" or "aw". Thus Nagant is pronounced "Nah-gau" or "Nag-gaw".

So, "Moss-in Nag-aw".

Or, if you want to purposefully annoy people, "Moo-zeen neh-ghant", as I heard a kid a gun show say.
>>
>>33167838
>Shit we don't have a word for this in English, just write it as it sounds
>People still get it wrong
Yet I'm absurd, sure
>>
File: Untitled.png (73KB, 1443x979px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
73KB, 1443x979px
>>33167837
Will this allay your fears?
>>
File: koch_0001-4_3.jpg (27KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
koch_0001-4_3.jpg
27KB, 520x390px
>>33167733
>Americans pronounce it like the softdrink, "Coke". Why? Probably because Americans think it sounds too naughty.

Unless they're from New York, in which case they'll pronounce it to rhyme with "scotch" because that's the way former NYC mayor Ed Koch pronounced his name.
>>
>>33165323
aw-tiz-um
>>
File: 1477283110987.png (11KB, 199x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477283110987.png
11KB, 199x200px
>>33165323
>Gah-rand
Almighty Ian disagrees with you. You fucked up.

>Car-byne
Ah, another window licking marINE who doesn't realize paris island taught him the wrong way to pronounce "carbINE"
>>
>>33168095
I'll take my combeen harvester down to pay my traffic feens then, I'll check on my sister while I'm there but I'm sure she's feen
>>
>>33168095
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/carbine
>>
>>33167947
Yeah, there are a lot of english-speaking variations on the pronunciation
>>
>>33165323
It is pronounced moh-zen you retard
>>
File: Pistol_Ortgies-.jpg (394KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pistol_Ortgies-.jpg
394KB, 1024x768px
Ok German bros, Ort-geese or Ort-cheese?
>>
>>33168265
I'll check on your sister all right.
>>
>>33168532
The guys always say she's a feen piece of ass
>>
>>33166526
>As someone who speaks German, no. Also, other anon is right, it's "coke"

No it isn't, unless you speak some fucked bayern or austrian dialect.

Normal/High German pronounces like Kauch, or K+ Auch.

You don't pronounce the >ch in hörnchen like coke, or else it would sound like hurnken, when in reality it is supposed to be pronounced like hurn-hyen.
>>
>>33168536
Hear your mother's pretty feen too.
>>
File: Sodom - Agent Orange - Front.jpg (695KB, 1409x1397px) Image search: [Google]
Sodom - Agent Orange - Front.jpg
695KB, 1409x1397px
>>33165323
>Mosin Nagant
mozzy niglet

(used to say Moh-zen, but learned a little Russian and realized they're subhuman)

>FAL
fall

>AUG
Augenshlachten Unterbergen Gewernovich

>Heckler & Koch
aw heck mien cock

>Garand
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrund (make it extra low to attract nearby bulls)

>Carbine
Corr-binny
>>
correct pronunciation on all counts

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0KjQrxs3Gaj
>>
>>33168600
Wrong on AUG and carbine. Either pronounce the full french word or call it a carbyne
>>
>>33165323

>Fal
Foul

>Mosin Nagant
Mos-in Na-gaunt

>AUG
Ah-Guh

>Heckler and Koch
Heck-ler and Cock

>GARAND
Garh-and

>carbine
car-bine
>>
>>33165323
>Mosin Nagant
Moh-Zin Nuh-Gaunt

>FAL
Eff Aye Ell, because a "Foul" is something you get in football.

>AUG
Aye yoo jee, because an "Aug" (Auger) is what you use to drill holes.

You don't say "Fibbey", you say "F-B-I"

>H&K
Hecklur and Coke

>Garand
Gare-and

>Carbine
Car-byne
>>
>>33168599

>grenade launcher in an airplane
>>
>>33168500
Ort-geese

I don't know where the hell you heard Ort-cheese
>>
>>33165323
Mo-seen-na-gone

Eff-ayy_ell

Ayy-you-jee

Heck-lure and Coke/cock/cosh (depends on dialect

Gerr-und

Car-bine (like pine, the type of tree)

Source; trilingual due to German and French parents and brought up in the US speaking all 3 languages
>>
>>33168500
Ort-guys
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.