[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are ghillie snipers obsolete? i think yes because drones can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

are ghillie snipers obsolete?

i think yes because drones can get the same kind of job done faster, cheaper and with higher efficiency, the only downside being the fact that shit blows up and there aint supressors for that.

can you imagine at least one scenario a ghillie suit sniper would be useful to get a particular job done, a job that nothing else could get done?
>>
>>33164912
filling your tight teenaged anus
>>
You need boots on ground. No matter the technology that comes with awesome jets, drones, tanks, etc. You must have a strong infantry in any battle. Most times you just need a man with a rifle to get shit done.
>>
>>33164912
Long lingering TOT with low signature.

You know, the thing recon platoons get used for even to this day.
>>
>>33164912

Recon in an area where the enemy has air superiority and drones aren't a viable option.

You have to stop thinking that all conflicts in the future will be like Afghanistan.
>>
>>33164912
"What is extended surveillance?"
"What is precise target discrimination?"
"What is gathering HUMINT?"
"What is undetectable by radar?"

OP you killed a thread to make this abortion and didn't even avoid being totally fucking wrong. Shame on you.
>>
>>33164949
the last relevant military engagement the USA had was iraq. at the time iraq was considered like holy shit crazy powerful but yeah no.
come to think of it, i like the idea of us snipers in ukraine right now. it makes sense.
>>
>>33164978
>iraq
>holy shit crazy powerful
wot m8? iraq was barely considered militarily superior to iran, and they blew that almost immediately.

>>33164949
implying the us will ever into a war with an evenly matched opponent
we want to make money and kill brownskins, not actually fight for something
>>
>>33164978

The point is that we can't expect all engagements to be asymmetrical. Iraq, Afghanistan... the specific theater is irrelevant. Moreover, OP is assuming everyone is the US. Scout snipers and ghillie suits are both still very much valid tools.

And you're right. Snipers in Ukraine are a very serious issue for both sides right now, as using the air power and artillery it would take to flush them out is political suicide.
>>
>>33165005

You don't always get to pick the war, Anon.
>>
File: 1487885872199.jpg (701KB, 2560x1600px)
1487885872199.jpg
701KB, 2560x1600px
>>33164912
>One shot, One kill
Achievement unlocked.
>>
>>33165014
I know it's retarded but I had this sudden realization that big players like the US, Russia, even China, can just spread over ghillie snipers all over current conflicts in the world, like Syria, Yemen and whatever civil wars in Africa, assasinating key elements while avoiding being seen.
>>
>>33165062

>loud, jangling earrings
>green doesn't match environment
>bare skin everywhere, risk of hypothermia
>face paint ALL the wrong colors
>putting her head up that high

TERRIBLE sniper. Would not go bang with.
>>
>>33165025
nobody spends nearly as much on their military as us.
russia cant pay for shit and like 90% of their military equipment is outdated
china is just ass
>>33165076
the us has been doing this for ages
>>
>>33165062
im not sure what pattern camouflage that shirt is, but the only place i think it would work is on my bedroom floor
>>
>>33165076
>>33165093
Which is great for destabilization, but with growing global trade and the world westernizing instability starts to run counter to american interests.
>>
File: 1488139601330.gif (59KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1488139601330.gif
59KB, 180x180px
>>33164912
>I'm OP and I ramble about shit I know nothing about.
>>
>>33165153
warring temporarily reduces viable markets, but american production can move into economically destroyed areas and begin providing what the destroyed factories no longer can.
im not saying the us inherently wants instability, but corporations have the opportunity to make huge profit margins after the conflicts end.
>>
>>33164912
They cost a whole shit load less than dropping a bomb to kill one person.

Also sometimes drones have trouble spotting enemies in shit like this.
>>
>>33165005
At the time (pre 1st gulf war), iraq had one of the largest and most modern tank forces in the world. Not to mention that they had literal months to set up a defensive line, and furthermore they had experienced troops throughout the entire chain of command due to the Iran iraq war.

There is literally no way you'd think it'd be an easy war given the info at the time. Your just projecting mad hindsight bias bro
>>
>>33165307
>one of the largest and most modern.
>worn out export model T-72's/mildly upgraded export model T-72's.
>Poorly trained tank corps outside of Republican Guard units.
Talking out of your ass as usual.
>>
>>33164912
Stealth drones when?
>>
>>33165366
>Fifth largest standing army at the time they marched into Kuwait
>Most of the muh monkey-model memes generated DURING the war that was to follow
>Anon you're replying to literally spelling out that he's talking about assessing the Iraqi thread BEFORE land operations commenced
>>
do you know what would be cool
sniper drones
imagine a very small drone, a drone that can fly very high, its diameter no bigger than a forearm, with stealth design and also a lot of good optics, a drone that has the radar signature of a bird or even of a fly
yeah, that much is cool
now put a sniper rifle just beneath that drone
yeah
like, a fifty cal sniper with a supressor
just how cool is that
it's basically a small flying ghillie sniper
the drone operator could fly that drone wherever he wanted to and point the sniper anywhere beneath the drone itself
just think that the us could be developing those as we speak
they could be following people like putin and kimg jon un in this very moment
>>
>>33165638
I'm sure nobody would notice a sniper rifle flying around.
>>
File: guys everything will be great.jpg (60KB, 761x563px) Image search: [Google]
guys everything will be great.jpg
60KB, 761x563px
>tfw trained in both
>>
>>33165398
Physical stealth tech is a meme except against third worlders using 1960's tier radar. ECM is the way of the future.
>>
>>33165366
Still doesn't address the fact that they had months to prepare and vast experience in large scale conflict.

>>33165577
This guy gets it

Just because you weren't self concious before 1991 and you lack the imagination to put history into context does not change what was predicted at the time.

It's relatively similar to how we feel about the Norks now. We probably could steam roll them but at the same time there's a huge chance of high casualties if everything doesn't go perfectly
>>
>>33164912

Just wait for automated turrets...
>>
File: 1417280831259.jpg (774KB, 3712x2712px) Image search: [Google]
1417280831259.jpg
774KB, 3712x2712px
>>33164912
They are totally obsole-
>>
>>33167687
>That fuck huge optic on the left
Is that a thermal scope?
>>
>>33167687
is that a MAS on the left?
>>
Machines and cameras break but the human eye doesn't

unless it gets impaled by a flying object
>>
>>33167932
>not taking the opportunity to ask if that's a FAMAS

It looks like an FR F1, which is based on the MAS 36 action.
>>
>>33165005
>implying the us will ever into a war with an evenly matched opponent

>be Britain
>pre-1940
>the only enemies we have are rebels who think their country doesn't belong to the crown
>land army slowly evolves to combat these ruffians
>army is basically an international police force at this point
>no need to worry, no country will ever challenge the might of the British Empire
>oh shit, Germany just invaded France
>better help them out
>land army gets crushed
>how could this have happened?
>>
>>33167895
It's a fleshlight-scope combi for long stakeouts
>>
>>33164912
http://www.snakebitetactical.com/

you were saying something about drones cupcake????
>>
Drones can do everything meme needs to die
>>
File: drone_v2_4_by_bauken-d723i2n.jpg (66KB, 1162x687px) Image search: [Google]
drone_v2_4_by_bauken-d723i2n.jpg
66KB, 1162x687px
>>33165638
You might be happy to know you're not the first to think of this
>>
>>33164912
what if there's an insurgent on the rooftop of a civilian-occupied apartment block or something? how the fuck would a drone take him out without levelling the whole complex?
>>
>>33165126
Well you're right about one thing, you would absolutely never see it there.
>>
>>33169117
fuckin owned
>>
>>33165091
>face paint ALL the wrong colors
I laughed far harder than i should have.
>>
>>33169117
SHEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIT !
>>
>>33169067
>not mounting a sword on it
typical space japs
>>
>>33164972
We should be against discrimination tbqh. Equal death to anyone.
>>
>>33168013
You know that ww1 was a thing right?
Colonial wars were majority pre 1914. The British had experience in the 4 years of hell that was the Great War.
>>
>>33167687
These guys look like they're about to drop a fire mixtape
>>
>>33169090
drone-copters with machine guns, duh
>>
>>33169992
The brits went in too ww1 with probably the best trained and experienced force in europe. However it was much too small for large European warfare and they quickly had to use amateurs to make up numbers.

Though the finished the war with the strongest land army they intentionally weakend it in the interwar period and didn't invest in armour and modern equipment in a big way until it was too late.

Essentially they made the same mistake twice. Mind you in the cold war they focused on large mechanicanised forces to fight the third shock army on the north german plane only to find the majority of action was low intensity counter insurgency and and amphibous invasion. Neither of which was planned for.

Moral is its hard to plan for the future
>>
>>33170381
> The brits went in too ww1 with probably the best trained and experienced force in europe. However it was much too small for large European warfare and they quickly had to use amateurs to make up numbers.

The Brits relied heavily on German conscripts since the dawn of the British empire. They pretty much pioneered the concept of the modern military, built around a small cadre of professional soldiers and officers who train mostly inexperienced conscripts and enlistees. While the idea of conscription is no longer universally practiced, that general model for a military force is still followed even in the U.S.
>>
>>33165307
>>33165577
Bro I had to do a report on the history of military medicine 1945-2013 for one of my med school classes and just glossing over the news articles from the early 90s, you had dozens of generals and military doctors saying "Yeah they have a huge standing army and we don't know what to expect with casualties. We might not have the capacity for the casualties we will have."
>>
>>33164912
Pretty sure an aircraft outfitted with missiles will be routinely more expensive than a guy with a rifle.
>>
>>33165091
Never change /k/
>>
>>33164912
>can you imagine at least one scenario a ghillie suit sniper would be useful to get a particular job done, a job that nothing else could get done?

Recon. Plain and simple recon. You can't have a drone identify an officer in different uniform, that's just not possible (yet). Bird's eye perspective is fine for aerial view, but what do you do if your target is in a low building and you can't kill anyone else?
>>
>>33168003
>>33167895
FR-F2 with FELIN optics, this one includes a rangefinder and thermal scope.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.