[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings /k/ i wanted to get some input on bo staffs. Ive made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: staff.jpg (26KB, 447x300px) Image search: [Google]
staff.jpg
26KB, 447x300px
Greetings /k/ i wanted to get some input on bo staffs. Ive made one because i wanted to practice before i spent money on one and now that im getting decent with it i thought i might buy one that could handle some abuse. So question is what would be ideal material for one to be made of and what are your thoughts on the bo staff?
>>
>>33157354
My thoughts are that if you're practicing with a Bo staff for defense or weapon handling skills your time would be better spent at the gym or doing just about anything. If you're training because you enjoy playing with it or it's part of your martial art discipline of study then go for it.

I've used them a little in Kyuki do because there are forms that have it, but at the end of the day it's a fucking stick.

The graphite/aluminum ones are the best, hardwood is obviously more traditional.
>>
>>33157426
I've mostly been practicing for defense/ weapon handling. Thank you for your input. if you do come back to this thread what weapon would you recommend practicing with?
>>
>>33157545
Well obviously guns first. The shallowness learning curve would be an aluminum baseball bat, but those can be taken from you and not really used effectively in tight spaces like hallways.

But if you're looking for a more practical weapon than a Bo staff that can actually be taken places, a curved walking cane actually has some pretty interesting applications. Then you get the whole "appear weak when you're strong" facade going on as well. I'm sure you could find some forms/demonstrations on YouTube.

The thing about all of the stuff along these lines are that they take seriously 5 years+ to become proficient. And to actually learn to apply them, you're going to need a training partner. Just waving them around won't teach you how to implement them effectively against an aggressor.

Just buying a punching bag and working on boxing with foot work and head bobbing will get you further ahead than practicing with martial arts weapons. 99% of people can't even throw a punch properly, so it's a good starting place.
>>
Why the fuck would you bring a long stick to a fight? Think about this, it's not something you can realistically have on you at all times, so you only bring it out when you're expecting trouble. Rather than a gun or a sword or a spear you choose to enter the fray with a stick? There's no point, literally.

If you really want a stick I'd go with aluminum, but since you want durability... some hard wood I guess, maple or teak should do. Maple is a great choice for any striking instrument, naturally resistant to impact due to its polymer structure. Teak is going to be a good deal heavier but stronger overall and should hold up just fine considering it's just so damn hard.
>>
>>33157354
Hickory, ash, yew, spotted gum
Basically anything with a fine, straight growing grain
>>
File: BoyScout1914.jpg (127KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BoyScout1914.jpg
127KB, 1000x1000px
>>33157354
"In the 103 cases of murder and manslaughter presented to the coroners of Nottinghamshire between 1485 and 1558 the staff figured in 53, usually as the sole fatal weapon. The sword, in contrast, accounted for only 9 victims and 1 accidental death.
- - -
'On 4 September (1527) John Strynger... assaulted Henry Pereson... with a staff... which he held in both hands, striking him on the head so that his brains flowed out and giving him a wound 1 inch deep, 2 inches wide, and 3 inches long of which he immediately died'
- Calendar of Nottinghamshire's Coroner's Inquests 1485-1558)"

It's easy to think of a staff as a martially-artsy weapon or "just a stick", but they're very effective weapons. They hit fast and they hit hard.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.