[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sure this has been posted the the trillionth time but I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

File: Colt.png (145KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Colt.png
145KB, 1280x800px
Sure this has been posted the the trillionth time but I want to buy an AR platform gun. Been doing quite a bit of research and wanted to get some opinions on what to get. So far for me the Colt LE6920 seems like a good gun to start with. Please give me your thoughts.
>>
>>33131763
This sounds suspiciously like a question that doesn't deserve its own thread. Also, with colt you're paying an extra $150 for the pony rollmark. If this is your first AR and you have money burning a hole and don't care about getting ripped off then go for it.
>>
>>33131806
What brand would be just as good at a better price? i've looked at Wyndham and they seem decent. I just don't want to invest so much money into something that might be a pile of crap.
>>
>>33131763
the 6920 is like the middle bar for ARs. both price point and quality are right in the middle of the spectrum. anything more expensive, you start getting into you high end rifles. anything lower and you go into the budget rifles. the colt is milspec, meaning chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel, full auto BCG, 100 percent parts comparability.

IMHO this id the only configuration worth buying. not to convilute it for you, but when you get into the budget rifle they start to skimp of the long term reliability features, and sometimes get a little janky with parts compatibility. tread carfully buying anything under $600 unless you know what you are looking for.

these budget rifle will function just fine, but will not give you the accuracy and barrel life of a good rifle.

take a look at Noveske and Daniel Defense guns to get an idea of what a really good rifle should have.
>>
>>33131885
Thanks man, I did look at them, DD and Noveske do look real nice but that is way more than I want to spend to get into this. I've been to forums where most people just go all out fanboy and bitch each other out without really getting into why they like what they have. I've had some people recommend some budget rifles but when i look at reviews i see that parts break easy and barrels come loose.
>>
>>33131885
fuck colt. fn cares about your freedom, colt thinks citizens should be disarmed and only reluctantly sells modern rifles because they need the $$$.
>>
>>33131929
Look at Palmetto State Armory. Just be sure whatever upper you choose has the CHF military spec barrel like >>33131885
mentioned. Only thing you'll be missing is the rollmark
>>
>>33131963
They seem pretty solid but that would be a rifle to aspire to later.
>>
>>33131929
the colt is probably you best bet then. the only budget rifles i would personally recommend are DPMS and Bushmaster. significantly cheaper than the colt, and sacrifice some features, but solid beater guns that will give you great reliability.
>>
>>33132002
PSA is one of the makers I'm looking at too.
>>
>>33132021
I figure that if I wind up really enjoying it and learn from something like a Colt I can get a higher end rifle later on.
>>
>>33132058
the colt is a good investment if you ever sell it to upgrade. people love the pony. they made the same rifle for the US military for over 50 years. but, it is also a gun that will literally last a lifetime. i mean tens of thousands of rounds, and you may have to replace a spring in five years or something.
>>
>>33131763
>So far for me the Colt LE6920 seems like a good gun to start with
Don't get an LE6920. Get an AR6720.
>>
>>33132193
I brought up AKs and at some of the bigger chain stores the guys said they won't carry them because it is a russian gun. The salesman thought it was retarded but the corporate people seem to hate the idea that the AK was a well built gun and should be sold.
>>
>>33132167
I was looking at it like an investment. One guy at work is trying to sell me a Radical Firearms AR but I've seen pretty much nothing but bad reviews on them and the guy is known to swap his guns out constantly. It sounds kinda dumb but I like the idea of keeping whatever I buy for a lifetime.
>>
>>33132223
What are you talking about?

The AR6720 is the 6920 with a pencil barrel. You could also go for the CE2000 if you want a heavier barrel profile, but it's not chromium plated.
>>
>>33132379
Sorry man I thought I saw AK and stopped at the rest.
>>
I had a 6920 before I got my sr-15
It was a good rifle, but about $200 overpriced for the features you get
>>
File: ac-15-aero-precision.jpg (60KB, 1000x338px) Image search: [Google]
ac-15-aero-precision.jpg
60KB, 1000x338px
>>33131763
I just ordered an Aero Precision AC-15. Found it on another site for a little over $100 less than on their own site.
>>
>>33132444
>sr-15
I was going to get a Mod 2 until I looked one over and started noticing the little cost saving measures they took. If I can find a NIB Mod 1 I'm jumping on it.
>>
While I was discussing this with some coworkers one guy suggested that whatever pay for the rifle it is a good idea to put almost as much into the optics. Is this common is it this one of those tacticool memes? A guy at work said he could get me Vortex sights at half price, just don't know if I would need something like that.
>>
Carbine gas system with 16" barrel is lame. Why do this? So many cons, no pros.

Build your own from good parts and get a better gun for the same money.
>>
>>33132256
>AR as an investment
Don't. The market is in surplus right now with ARs, so it's a buyers market, and it will only get worse. You'll never get back what you put into an AR, even if the Dems manage another gun scare in 4-8 years, there are too many in circulation. Here in SC since we have PSA, ARs are starting at $500 on Armslist. When you scroll down to someone trying to sale a used DD or Noveske for $1500+, the price point looks absurd, even for a Gucci AR. Even the Gucci brands are going to suffer horribly within the next year or two due to the market swing
>>
>>33132490
Yes paying 1.5x-2x the price of rifle, for glass is the standard. I've never used vortex, I hear they're good for the pricepoint
>>
>>33132502
It really isn't that important.
>>
>>33131885
Don't even think about Noveske or LaRue, they're shit ARFCOM meme companies.
>>33132490
Vortex makes quality scopes, but you'll really have to consider what you want to do with your rifle before you look at optics.
>>
>>33132545
Yeah that will be the next thing for me to really look into. I figured this would be for target shooting, shooting hogs and self defense if those are all actually possible at once.
>>
>>33132525
Unnecessarily short sight radius, shorter than necessary handguard real estate/front hold options, often overgassed...not important at all.

Sure, they work, and most work well, but it isn't optimal and the 16" barrel with carbine gas system is a result of military standardization colliding with civilian gun laws. It doesn't make sense when a midlength gas system is available.
>>
>>33131885
>chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel

Colts are not cold hammer forced. CHF isn't even milspec. Milspec M16s are just button rifled, n00b.
>>
>>33132568
A holographic or red dot optic would probably suit you fine, unless you want to target shoot at longer ranges. Then you might want to go for a 1-4x or 1-6x.
>>
File: IMG_20170226_181709.jpg (557KB, 1765x1310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170226_181709.jpg
557KB, 1765x1310px
>>33131763
>>33132459

AC-15M Midlength masterrace, $560 at Brownells
>>
>>33132623
The FN barrels are. Not sure about the Colts, I believe they were too. But I know for sure the FNs are
>>
>>33132605
>not important at all.
No, not that important at all. Glad we agree. If it really bothers you, SBR it or cut the barrel and permanently attach a muzzle device that brings it over 16". Mid length is ideal, but I wouldn't agonize over it. Just choose it if it's an option.
>>
>>33132642
Cool. I definitely won't be hunting anything that I could use one of my other rifles for.
>>
>>33132663
FN's military contract rifles are not CHF. Which of their FN-15s are CHF? All the ones I can see say that they are broach (button) rifled.
>>
>>33131763
Colts suck now.

You should start with a budget AR to see if you like the platform, unless you have a grand to drop on something you're unsure you'll end up liking. The savage MSR is the best imo feature-wise, second is a tie between the m&p15 and Ruger 556.
>>
>>33132660
I bought the non-M for $540 shipped on primaryarms
>>
>>33132672
That's the point. With ARs, especially right now, everything is an option.
>>
>>33132700
Are you sure? I didn't even think FN mfg non CHF. I had a Colt when I was in, and I swear I remember seeing the chrome lining in the barrel
>>
>>33132724

good deal. 1/7 twist is definitely worth the price over the S&W Sport 1/9 twist.
>>
Just fucking build one you noob.
Why buy a pre-made rifle that you're gonna end up switching out half the parts on anyway?

Wait until PSA has a good sale and then swoop in.
I recently built what should've been a $900 rifle for about half the price because I caught a good sale on PSA.
>>
>>33132744

They are chrome lined, they are not cold hammer forged.
>>
>>33132753
It's my first AR. Shot M4s and M16s at work but never owned one. I bought it today though, so it's still up if you or anyone are looking.
>>
>>33132772
How can you tell the difference? Markings?
>>
>>33132740
What better complete rifle is available at around 800 dollars than the AR6720? I'll be honest I haven't paid attention to the low end of the market in a couple of years but, other than PSA assembly required stuff, what is there?
>>
>>33132795

Aero AC-15M Midlength rifle
>1/7 twist
>Mid-length gas system
>sub $600

http://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ac-15-5-56x45mm-nato-16-mid-length-rifle-prod82606.aspx

Pretty much the best budget AR on the market today
>>
>>33132790
If it's CHF, they'll tell you. B on Colt barrels indicates that it is chromium plated. CHF and chromium plating have nothing to do with each other and there are CHF unlined barrels, like on HK MR rifles, and chromium plated barrels that aren't CHF, like on every AR-15 the military has ever purchased.
>>
Armalite/Eagle Arms Eagle-15 MFT ARs have ,223 Wylde chambering. and are made in the same factory as Armalite. The reviews are great, and they're usually priced around $600.

Or you can just buy a stripped lower from your local GS and buy a kit from PSA, you should be able to assemble your own for about $500 plus sights and mags. It's pretty easy, and you get a pretty good understanding of the internals.
>>
>>33132790

Because cold hammer forged barrels are not milspec. FN makes a lot of CHF barrels, but they are required to use standard broached, non-CHF for the mil contracts.
>>
>>33132700
>FN's military contract rifles are not CHF
Yes they are, they're built to military specs, which call for CHF.

Do you not even understand what milspec actually means?
>>
>>33132805
>QPQ
>government profile barrel

If you're ok with that, I guess that's a good deal.
>>
>>33132830

dude, the US military M16 has never been cold hammer forged. They are chrome lined, but not CHF. Totally different things. I feel like a bunch of retards are interchanging the two.
>>
>>33132830
Am I being trolled? CHF is not in the TDP and the military has turned down the offering several times from Colt who wanted to use Colt Diemaco barrels.
>>
>>33131843
Aero Precision
>>
>>33132821
>are made in the same factory as Armalite

Being made in the same factory does not guarantee similar levels of quality.
>>
>>33132863
i'll check them out, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>33132821
>Or you can just buy a stripped lower from your local GS and buy a kit from PSA, you should be able to assemble your own for about $500 plus sights and mags. It's pretty easy, and you get a pretty good understanding of the internals.
T H I S
H
I
S

Don't fall for pre-made rifles, OP
>>
>>33132882

In general I agree, but if your budget is sub $700, a premade is pretty much on par with a self-assembled plus you get a factory warranty on the entire rifle, and you're not saving a ton of money going with self-assembled anyways.
>>
>>33131763
I bought my first AR last year. It is the base model Colt and it cost me $599+tax. I had a gunsmith friend check it out and he really liked it.
>>
>>33132845
Not interchanging them but thought they were mutually exclusive; CHF and chrome lined
>>
>>33132910

They are usually paired but not always. Most CHF are chrome-lined, but most chrome-lined ("milspec") are not CHF.
>>
>>33132863
>>33132876
I'll second that, I'm currently building an AR out of mostly Aero Precision parts and they make good stuff.
>>
I'll shill for psa. I just finished putting my first 1k of rounds through it. Cost me 550 to put an upper and lower together.

Shooting tula, it had only 1 round f2f, but that's most likely a faulty round rather than a light primer strike.

This is also a shill for tula ammo. That price and only 1 f2f is pretty awesome. Going to get gold bear through and start collecting brass so I can have a stock pile for when I start reloading somewhere down the path.
>>
>>33132882
Neophytes really shouldn't be assembling firearms.

A better option would be a complete lower and a complete upper, if you want to fuck the government out of the excise tax.
>>
>>33132933
So what are we gaining with CHF? Just round count durability and slight accuracy increase?
>>
>>33132979
I'd like to think I could put it together without it blowing up in my face, but i do tend to agree with you. i feel like having a complete to learn from would be best for me.
>>
>>33133009
There is at least one 40+ minute video on yt about it.
>>
>>33131843
Windham is great man.

My family owns 4 of them in total and not a single one has ever jammed.

I have a heavy barrel carbine version that shoots MOA all day long
>>
>>33133009
It's relatively easy to build an AR, the main drawback is the investment in tools. I invested about $160 in tools, not counting the full toolbox I already had and the torque wrench I was given as a present. In addition, you'll need access to a bench vice, and potentially a drill press.
>>
>>33133046
I was reading that that were the guys that made bushmaster when they were in their prime.
>>
>>33133009
You probably could, it's just that most of the materials on putting them together were produced by morons who have no idea how to properly assemble something.
>>
>>33133069
That is definitely something i need to account for with this. I can get access to a bench vice and probably a drill press. I'm gonna have to make a list of all the tools i'll need and pick it all up at once.
>>
>>33133046
Windham is shit.
>>33133074
Bushmaster didn't have a prime, it just had a time where it was the only readily available option that wasn't an incredibly expensive Colt.
>>
>>33133101
Midway sells AR armorer kits that have all your punches, wrenches, etc...
>>
>>33133035
>>33133096
This guy has done a pretty good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI
>>
>>33133126
I'll go ahead and jot this down.
>>
>>33133130
Well he actually brought out a torque wrench. Then he completely failed at using it properly. It's certainly better than about 95% of the AR-15 assembly instructions you'll find on the internet, though.
>>
>>33133187
>Then he completely failed at using it properly.

I must have missed that. Which step?
>>
Well guys I'm off to bed but I appreciate the suggestions and opinions and I will look into this and hopefully I will find success and a good rifle at the end of all of this.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.