[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any idea how to polish old wooden rifles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: expanzna-puska-mauser-k98-945.jpg (225KB, 2182x650px) Image search: [Google]
expanzna-puska-mauser-k98-945.jpg
225KB, 2182x650px
Hey /k/, I just bought my first gun, an old Mauser 98k, in good condition. I was just wondering about any tips as how to polish the wooden stock without hurting the wood?
Thanks!
>>
>>33128052
Don't
>>
how about dont.
>>
>>33128069
>>33128073
The wood is in superb condition, but if it's not a good idea to polish it, I won't.
>>
>>33128052
Cleaning off the oil from storage, faded, or you just to make it look better?
>>
>>33128052
Dont. you will fuck with the value.
>>
>>33128094
Just to make it look better
>>
>>33128105
I'm not lookin to sell, but to keep
>>
>>33128125
Thats what everyone says.dont fuck with it.
>>
>>33128139
Alright I won't
>>
>>33128052
Give it a gentle wipe with Ballistol. That will help with preservation. It won't polish it, but it also won't hurt the finish.
>>
>>33128052
use a mixture of cum and liberal tears
>>
A warm, slightly damp rag once a month. If you have cloth diapers around, those work great.
>>
>>33128052
You might see if there's any rust or pitting underneath the stock line though....
>>
>>33128234
Gentle wipe with Ballistol confirmed for best way.
Old german wonderoil for old german wonderguns.
>>
How about Murphy oil soap? It's made for quality wood furniture surfaces.
>>
File: PolishMNM44.JPG.cf.jpg (30KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
PolishMNM44.JPG.cf.jpg
30KB, 533x399px
Best way to Polish old wood? M44...
>>
>>33128092
I figured that was a stick photo, is that the actual rifle OP?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjl9BoGzqg&t=3s
>>
>>33128719
No, my rifle is a lot brighter in color on the wood, like a yellowish wood. Really neat looking
>>
>>33128639
I was thinking that, but eh, the chemicals might be too harsh on it.
>>
>>33128795
would you mind posting a pic for us? would help in saying if it's worth polishing.
>>
>>33128385
It's relatively fine underneath, stripped it when I first got it and it's alright, a little burned from the hot barrel, but barely if that
>>
>>33128052
Nothing wrong with cleaning it with oil, that was part of the rifles regular maintainence. Just dont go stripping or sanding anything.

I clean my lee enfields furnature with 50/50 boiled linseed oil and turps. Workes great.
>>
>>33128847
Do you think just a cotton cloth and a damp rag would be good enough to get any grime off?
>>
>>33128656
no one cares about your cheap moist nugget shit
>>
This thread is potato level gun maintenance.

If you use the gun at all, you need to take care of the furniture sometimes. It will not hurt the guns value to be kept in good condition.

Remove any wax, dirt and contaminants with tsp, dirtex, or detergent. Wipe on a couple layers of Boiled Linseed thinned with mineral spirits. Let this cure for 48 hours. If you want deeper sheen use Raw linseed that has been left in a clear glass botle with no lid and exposed to sun for up to a month. This is sometimes called still oil. It takes up to two weeks to fully cure and will mimic the aged surface underneath it.

To protet the stock a little further, use Johnson's paste wax. Paste wax is meant to be a thin layer, it doesn't build up, so one or two applications at most.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.