[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

File: slider-ORHD.jpg (189KB, 870x400px) Image search: [Google]
slider-ORHD.jpg
189KB, 870x400px
I would like to start hunting, as I believe it is an important way to stay connected to nature, an maintain balance in the ecosystem. I have never been hunting before, and would like some help getting started. I have already read all rules and regulations regarding hunting in my home state (Oregon), I go camping often in many different situations so I am mostly covered on camping gear, and I have a decent size firearms collection. I also have friends who go hunting, and I was going to ask if they could take me and show me the ropes. That being said, I have some questions.
>>
To start off, is 308win enough to kill a black bear humanely?
>>
I was told I should get waders for hunting waterfowl. What to look for when buying waders? And brands that are often recommended?
>>
>>33123215
yes. I dont like it, but people hunt black bear and moose with bow...
>>
What animals, in your opinion, are the best tasting? is there any difference in taste, generally speaking, between males and females?
>>
Any hints or tips you would give to someone who wanted to get into hunting?
>>
>>33123225
>hunting waterfowl
depeds...shooting geese from a cornfield? dont need em. Wading in wetlands for ducks?
chest waders, water tight pockets, puncture/tearresistant.

not up on my brands, but buy a decent pair. I went budget my first set and had to replace them after a season because the boots were puntured by sticks in the swamps
>>
>>33123235
What grain bullet would you recommend for black bear from a 308?
>>33123262
What budget would you recommend?
>>
Is hunting a good way to feed your family? Economically speaking?
>>
>wants to "stay connected to nature"
>first thng he does is start killing animals

Never change USA

Just start buying more deer meat so actual hunters can keep doing the job, and plant some non-herbicide laced flowers for the bees.
>>
>>33123240
no difference in taste between sex. Pheasant is great..tastes like spicy chicken. Duckk breast is red meat and is interesting but good.

cook your food well. parasites are real. remove as much blood as possible
>>33123261
learn as much as you can beforehand...there are a lot of skills like tracking, field dressing, calling(especially for waterfowl), get the right gear..good knife, decoys etc.

always go with someone else if you can and alwys tell someone where youre going and for how long...bring basic first aid/survival
>>
Any recipes you'd recommend?
>>
>>33123301
Fair point, but what better way to stay connected to your ancestors, to stay connected to nature, than by being part of the food chain? Also, isn't it better to kill your food yourself rather than buy it at the store?
>>33123307
Any books you'd recommend? I have already read Steven Rinella's guides on hunting, it seemed like a good place to start. What knife do you use/recommend? It doesn't have to be just one knife, I can bring however many is best.
>>
>>33123337
there are hundreds and hundreds of youtube videos and dedicated channels. start there.

Get strong, sharp 4" fixed blade with a guard and optional "gut hook/zipper"

my favorite recipes are broiled duck medallions with mozarella and bacon, any kind of game sausage, rabbit stew and roasted pheasant breast.

any .308 will do, just get a 150-180gr load with soft ballistic tip and aim well.

a decent pair of waders will run $200+
>>
What is your favorite game to hunt? And what makes it your favorite?
>>
>>33123337
dont let anti-hunters get to you. The meat packing industry is whole sale slaughter. It's a necessary evil, but it contributes to global warming(eachmethane molecule from a cow is 4x worse than a co2 molecule from your car), farming land usage, and a disconnect about where our food comes from.

hunting is good.
>>
>>33123379
Would something like this be good for waders? http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-men-s-3mm-armor-flex-8482-hunting-chest-waders/1353567.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-hunting-waders%2F_%2FN-1101198%2B10005237%2FNe-10005237%2FNo-0%2FNs-MAX_SALE_PRICE%257C1%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU%26recordsPerPage%3D18
And those duck medallions sound delicious, I'll have to look into that.
>>33123408
Any good arguments against anti hunters? I've never had to deal with them before. Besides the points you already made of course. You don't have to convince me of course, but some talking points would be appreciated.
>>
>>33123235
>>33123379
Also, I know it says it for whitetail, but would something like this work for black bear? Or should I keep looking? www.outdoorlimited.com/ProductDetails.asp
>>
>>33123387
ducks. There are lots of species, you can practice calling, duck decoys are their own world, moving targets, and they taste good

>>33123428
>controls populations (spread of disease, starvation, car accidents)
>animal has a chance and isn't raised to die inhumanely
>you are eating the animal, not trophy hunting
>you have full discretion on if you shoot bambi or an older non breeding buck
>meat is lean and has no additives or hormones
>money goes to support wildlife conservation (Pittman-Robertson Act)
>Teddy Roosevelt was a badass and he hunted
>>
>>33123308
---> /ck/

goulash, for one.

Also, watch all the Scott Rea Project videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoawhsmKIEY
>>
>>33123428
Those waders will work, but for the price I wouldn't buy them. I have Columbia waders because their boots fit me well and I've taken them through all sorts of shit with few problems. I did get a leak once while hunting in rough conditions but I patched it and I should have known sprayed mesquite trees still had some strength to them. Drake is a great brand and they offer reinforced waders that won't fail you.
If you are serious about waterfowl hunting go to your local DU meeting or auction, meet some people and drink some beer with them and you'll probably get an invite. They have some pretty good live auctions and raffles for guns as well.
Waterfowl hunting is something you'll never learn to do well on your own, you need someone to teach it to you. From calling to decoy patterns to places to go, the old guys with decades of experience know the most and sometimes they'll teach it to you.
And, DU has done more to grow waterfowl numbers since the 30's than any PETA friendly agency ever has. Hunters are invested in wildlife numbers and actually care, because it's their livelihood. Hashtag activists don't know shit and don't do shit.
Also, understand what types of ducks you're hunting. Dabblers aren't going to decoy on the coast, and divers don't taste great. If you do shoot divers, mix them up with lots of shrimp or crab and sausage, over a bed of rice and some beans. Dabblers on the other hand can be cooked plenty of ways and they eat well.
>>
>>33123300

If you manage to get a decent sized deer, you're basically paying for regularly priced meat but getting extra nice meat. Economically, you're better off taking an extra shift.
>>
>>33123461
loads advertised as being for specifc game is kind of dumb...its really a way for companies to upmark a price ad sell to fanboy hunters.

if you're gonna shoot a black bear with a .308 just walk into walmart and get some 180gr Remington Core-lokt, Federal soft points, or Hornady ballistic tips
>>
>>33123300
>>33123501
That depends on where OP shoots it and if he processes it on his own or not.
If op knows a landowner and shoots a deer with no costs but hunting license, gas to get there, and the bullet, he's looking at 80lbs of meat he can process on his own for less than $100.
I shot two axis deer in Texas last February and paid about $40 in total for 50lbs of meat (axis deer are small and pests in central Texas)
>>
>>33123525
>loads advertised as being for specifc game is kind of dumb...its really a way for companies to upmark a price ad sell to fanboy hunters.
You are correct. I didn't understand this until I took a part time at a gun store. Large ammo manufacturers such as OLIN corp repackage the same types of ammo with game specific pictures and names but the ballistic performance is the same as their repackaged "_______ edition"
It's just a cheap way to make more money. Find a round your rifle likes and stick to it. The picture and name on the box doesn't mean anything to someone with half a brain of gun smarts.
>>
>>33123498
I didn't know Columbia made waders, they are a local company, so I try and support them when I have the chance. I'll look into that, thank you.
>>33123501
I see, thank you. I'd still like to get into hunting, but I was hoping to save some money, but that's fine, it'll be more about the experience anyway.
>>33123581
>>33123525
So it doesn't matter what game it's marked for because it's just marketing? Good to know. And thank you for the tip about wally world.
>>33123559
Is it particularly difficult to process it on my own? I've watched videos, but never asked anyone.
>>
>>33123596
>Is it particularly difficult to process it on my own? I've watched videos, but never asked anyone.
No not really. If you have the right tools uou can do it. Make hamburger and use a good knife to make cutlets. Buy a vacuum sealer and seal the cutlets and back straps, wrap the hamburger in butchers paper, freeze it all. It's a $300 investment for the sealer and meat grinder and you're set for years. When my hunting buddies shoot a deer they usually take one side of the torso and smoke it, process the other side into hamburger, and cut the legs into small strips to bread and fry for deer nuggets. If you're not trying to feed groups of people process the legs into hamburger and keep the back straps and rib meat to smoke or turn into cutlets.
>>
There was a guy in wisconsin got arrested a few years ago for having sex with a dead deer
there are videos of it floating around online
after you kill it, don't try to have sex with it
>>
>>33123724
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.
>>33123713
Thank you for the tip. I'll probably make most into hamburger/ground beef(or whatever it's called), mostly because I like that there is just so much you can do with it.
>>
How do you deal with a girl friend who is against hunting?

And no; I don't want to hear that I should dump her. That's not an option at this point.
>>
>>33123337
why are you bothering to respond to a retarded eurocuck faggot troll?

most hunters recommend you start on small game: ducks pheasant grouse and rabbit then work your way up to white or black tail. if you want to be real redneck go for squirrel instead.

the biggest hurdle for most hunters is finding huntable land. public land can work but private or unused land is jsut so much better.

>>33124603
>caring about what women think
jejs kys thats how you deal with it cuck
>>
>>33123278
They're oversized dogs, any .308 soft point should do the trick. Or a cap gun. Will probably give them a heart attack.
>>
>>33123301
To be fair, the only reason we have to hunt deer is because we fucked up the ecosystem and removed all their natural predators.

If we don't cull the herd occasionally they'll starve during the winter or start dying from disease.
>>
>>33123215
.308 is enough to kill any animal in north America that isn't a buffalo humanly.
>>
>>33123215
Yes, easily.

I'm not sure how big they are where you are, but in my home state of NC people hunt black bear all the time with shit like .243's, and it's an accepted practice for youth to hunt them with .223 and .300blk.

>>33123225
The things you need to look for in waders are the insulation value of the boot foot, and how abrasion/puncture resistant they are. They range from uninsulated to 2000gr of thinsulate. I personally have several pairs since I hunt everything from early teal season (80-90*F out) to travelling to North Dakota in January (typically subzero, occasionally as cold as -30*F). I like Hodgman's neoprene waders, they're very abrasion resistant, fit true to size, and aren't super expensive.
>>
>>33123300
Depends entirely on what you hunt, but potentially.

Generally you will not be legally allowed to take enough big game to feed your family. If you are a good upland or waterfowl hunter it is possible to do so. Small game is a supplement.
>>
>>33123278
I like 165gr softpoints, but there's nothing saying either a 150gr or 180gr wouldn't also do in a black bear.

Good waders start at around $150, and if you need particularly well-insulated ones they can go up quite a bit from there.

Don't rely on chemical toe/foot warmers, they require oxygen to work and generally they won't get it down in the bottom of a set of waders.
>>
>>33123525
I would say 180 grain is a bit much for black beer. I use 150 grain and it does the job just fine.
>>
>>33123308
Check out Meat Eater TV, he throws dozens of recipes that aren't super involved.
>>
>>33124603
Seriously, dump her.
>>
>>33123205
Oh man. Don't hunt by yourself.

I did it, I am former Infantry. Trained to kill. Doesn't mean jack diddly. Luckily I have a friend. You know you have to gut a deer afterwards. Killing them is the easy part.

Like meat? Don't be a pussy. Anyways I know better now.
>>
>>33123240
Here in East Texas I hunt and eat white-tailed deer, feral pigs, squirrel, dove, and rabbit. I've also hunted turkey in the past but not in the last decade or so.

Feral pigs, and to a lesser extent deer, taste differently based on sex, mainly due to hormonal differences. Female feral pigs up to ~200 lbs and young boars up to ~150 lbs taste very good, the meat is mild flavored and generally has little to no "gaminess". Boars above 150 lbs develop a strong, unpleasant musky flavor. You can usually tell if a boar will be good to eat or not just by the smell that comes from the animal before you even cut it open. Mature male deer are usually larger, tougher, and gamier tasting than female deer. For both deer and pigs their diet also has a significant effect on the flavor of their meat; an animal that is feeding on grain usually tastes better than an animal that has been feeding almost exclusively on acorns. I haven't noticed much difference between male and female rabbits or squirrels.

I actually prefer wild pork over venison but both are good in my opinion. Rabbits and squirrels get cooked in either stew or dumplings. I wrap dove breasts in a slice of bacon with a jalapeno inside and either grill or bake them. It takes quite a few dove breasts to make a proper meal...
>>
File: bass_stringer.jpg (115KB, 660x880px) Image search: [Google]
bass_stringer.jpg
115KB, 660x880px
>>33123300
If you already have the guns then hunting can be a nice supplemental meat source. It can get very expensive depending on where you are though, my friend is on a deer lease where he pays $2500 per year, he can shoot 3 bucks and 2 doe per year and has to drive almost 7 hours to get to the lease. If you can hunt on public land or have a friend with some acreage then it can be a cheap source of meat.

Best bang for your buck if you're looking for cheap meat would be fishing though, much more cost effective than hunting in my opinion.
>>
>>33125540
Feral pigs here (NC) are pretty much inedible. They get into the tobacco crops, and even the piglets taste and smell like a tire fire. Diet plays a large part in it.

Unless you're a bowhunter, you won't notice a difference in taste between male and female deer. They only really taste different right before and during the rut, which usually falls in the latter half of bow season and is done well before rifle season starts.

I generally don't like the taste of turkey, either storebought or wild, but some do. If you do hunt them, I suggest frying the turkey. Wild turkeys are VERY VERY lean, you need to preserve all the moisture in the meat you can. Plus it's easier and faster than oven roasting one.

>it takes quite a few dove breasts to make a proper meal
Good thing you've got a 15 per day limit, a long season, and in most places shouldn't have too much trouble limiting out.
>>
>>33125588
>eating bass
Please tell me you have no access to bluegill/crappie/trout/salmon/pike where you live...
>>
>>33125605
Kentuckys are delicious.
>>
File: download_20160131_170420.jpg (212KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160131_170420.jpg
212KB, 768x1024px
>>33125598
>Feral pigs here (NC) are pretty much inedible. They get into the tobacco crops, and even the piglets taste and smell like a tire fire. Diet plays a large part in it.

Wow, that sucks. In my area they're good eating but we don't have any tobacco fields around.

>>33125605
Nothing wrong with bass IMO, it tastes good fried. The fish in that picture came out of a ~1 acre farm pond and they all tasted fine. I usually fish for catfish, occasionally trout or crappie. Not a huge fan of all the bones in the small (stocked) trout we get down here.
>>
>>33125643
Then your bluegill/crappie/redears/shellcrackers/perch/pickerel will be more so.

And generally easier to catch.
>>
>>33125654
Bass are generally bland and tend to be mushier than the other "good eating" freshwater fish.

Crappie is generally considered the single best tasting freshwater fish on the planet, and your various sunfish are a close second in taste but far more annoying to clean due to the bones and how many it takes to make a meal.
>>
>>33125682
This.
>go fishing with buddy
>spend an hour beforehand trapping crawdads for bait
>catch all of 2, sub-2lb bass
>he's gonna eat them
Nigger you'd have been better off eating the crawdads.
>>
>>33125682
Look, I catch and eat LMB, catfish, rainbow trout, and crappie. Bass tastes good to me and they are much more abundant and easier to catch in my area than crappie are. The trout we get are stocked in small "community fishing ponds" and all are between 8"-14", it's a pain in the ass to eat the little bastards because they're more bones than meat. I can spend 3 hours on the boat for an almost guaranteed 20+ channel catfish per person so that's what I usually do. I've never understood the whole "bass taste bad" meme, I don't know what's wrong with the bass in your area but they're good eating around here. Every farmer / rancher stocks their ponds with largemouth bass, channel catfish, and bluegill, I can catch a stringer full of LMB in an hour or two and have enough fillets for a fish fry, no one ever complains about the fish tasting bad.
>>
>>33125781
>and they are much more abundant and easier to catch in my area than crappie are
I'm so, so sorry about that.

Not sure what the legal take limit is for LMB in your area, but here it's 3 per day and they have to be over 18" long. Meanwhile I can keep 60 crappie and an unlimited number of panfish.

Also, I have 4 ponds within 10 minutes of my house where you'll catch either a crappie or big bluegill every single cast all year long with a 2" chartreuse curlytail grub, so you're looking at a week's worth of fish in 2 hours.
>>
>>33123501
>durr
>extra nice meat

the only people who think venison is better than beer are fucking yokels and contrarians. Deer tastes ok but is simply inferior to both pork and beef. theres a reason why we have cattle and pig farms and not deer farms.
>>
>>33125898
We do have deer farms. Also elk, ostrich, moose, and bison farms.
>>
>>33125881
Black bass is 5 per day in public waters, crappie is 25 per day, blue + channel catfish is 25 per day, white bass is 25 per day. Length limits vary depending on water body. No catch or length limits for any fish coming out of private ponds though. Targeting crappie or white bass is a seasonal exercise here and fishing for them is pretty shitty outside of a couple of months when they're nesting / spawning.
>>
>>33123261
Travel light, make sure to kill your scent, and use buck bomb if you want to cheat.
>>
>>33125926

because ostrich and bison actually taste good. all those other farms are memefarms
>>
>>33124603
Give her tasty animals to eat.
>>33125391
I would like to hunt both small and big game, but thank you for the advice, it makes sense to start out on small game first. I'm not particularly worried about finding land to hunt on, as most of Oregon is public land.
>>33125449
Even elk?
>>33125459
If you had to have one pair of waders, and only one, what insulation would you go with?
>>33125499
I've been watching meat eater recently, and I've read Steven Rinella's guides on hunting, he seems very knowledgeable. I've learned a lot.
>>33125540
Are feral pigs difficult to hunt? My grandfather in Florida has asked for help getting them off his land.
>>33125975
How is buck bomb "cheating"? Are there any other practices that might be considered cheating that I'd want to avoid?
>>
File: DSC_0433.jpg (663KB, 3725x2516px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0433.jpg
663KB, 3725x2516px
If you ever decide to hunt pigs and boar, do be careful. if you fuck up you could be loosing meat on your legs.
>>
>>33128729
I'll keep that in mind, thank you. If I do get charged, what is the best tactic? I assume keep shooting?
>>
>>33129015
>I assume keep shooting?
Bingo. learning to lead a target would be smart. unless you get a good 1 shot kill while he's standing still, you'll need to. they're fast little fuckers.

Most people i know use semi autos and shotguns on pig.
>>
>>33123205
Where do you live in Oregon OP? I want to get into hunting too but I have no friends who share the same interest?
>>
File: 1479835378721.png (28KB, 910x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479835378721.png
28KB, 910x600px
>>33123301
Killing animals is being connected to nature though. All meat eating predators kill other animals, right?
>>
>>33129015
Fucking mag dump until they drop.

t. Almost got gored my first time hunting boars.
>>
>tfw you will never live in the land of the free and hunt deer with your buds
>>
>>33123301

I'm a bear and your post offends me, but then you mentioned honey, and now I don't know what to think.
>>
>>33129067
No OP, I to live in Oregon and want to get into hunting. I'm in curry county
>>
>>33129054
I was planning on using my 300blk ar15 if I go hog hunting, would this suffice?
>>33129067
I am currently stationed in Hawaii, until the end of my contract in a few months. But I'm originally from Central Oregon, little town called Prineville.
>>33129067
>>33129621
Perhaps someone could organize an Oregon meet up? I sometimes see people talking about trying to set up a PNW meet up in other threads, maybe we could piggyback off that if it ever happens? But I'm not sure if anyone would want to meet anymore, given what happened last nuggetfest.
>>
>>33129621
>>33129952
Fuggg. I'm in Portland.
>>
>>33130673
You poor bastard, you have my sympathies. But, Oregon isn't to big of a state to not have a meet up. Anybody up for planning something? How does one start a meet up?
>>
>>33129952
300 blk would be fine for hogs, my friend uses an AR in 223/5.56 and I'm in the process of building an AR for night hunts. I've seen them killed with 17HMR and 22lr, I just killed one a couple of weeks ago using a .222 Rem, neck shot dropped a 165lb sow in her tracks.
>>
>>33130863
What parts are you using for your night hunting ar? What scope, if any, are you planning in using? For my 300blk ar15, I have one of leupold hog scopes. It appears to be a 1-4x vx2 with a different reticle, but it was about $100 dollars cheaper, so I figured why not. And then I attached a surefire light I got off ebay. Is there anything else I should get for it? Or should the rifle be fine?
>>
File: piggy.jpg (209KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
piggy.jpg
209KB, 960x1280px
>>33131067
I'm putting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x-6x scope on the AR and will be mounting a 500 lumen tactical light on it.

For the last ~5 years I've been using a FNAR for most of my night hog hunts using the same 500 lumen light and either a 3x-9x or 4x-12x Redfield Revolution scope. The 3x-9x wasn't too bad, 3x was plenty low even at fairly close ranges but the 4x-12x just doesn't quite go down low enough for my tastes.

You should be fine with your current scope and a good light. Hunting at night via "spotlight" is more or less impossible without a scope or red dot, you just can't see iron sights at all in the dark. Some guys I know run green lasers on their ARs for hog hunting but it seems unnecessary to me. Make sure your sling is comfy if you're going to be walking a lot.
>>
>>33123205
Hi I just bought my first rifle, and it is a Savage 10 FCP SR in 308. Can I use this to shoot a rabbit or squirrel and have non exploded meat?
>>
>>33131946
The only chance would be shooting the rabbit or squirrel in the head, if you hit anywhere in the body then you're gonna damage a lot of the meat. You should get a .22lr or shotgun if you want to hunt small game.
>>
>>33131982
Goddamn it. I guess it's back to saving money again then. Guns are so expensive but I'm starting to fall in love with them.
>>
>>33130760
Well, I guess the first thing we need is a place. We would have to find someone with private land or find a big enough piece of public land. Then a date preferably when the weather isn't shit. After that, people who are interested in going I suppose.
>>
So I have binoculars, and scopes on most of my rifles. Should I get a spotting scope for hunting as well? What combination of glass, if you will is best for hunting? Spotting scope and rifle scope? Binoculars and rifle scope? All three? Just rifle scope?
>>33132871
We'll, we have a lot of public land to choose from, so there's that. I'll ask my old scout Master, see if he has any ideas.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.